PDA

View Full Version : > Novak Djokovic: May Have a Nice 2-3 Year Run as #1 - Here's HOW <

TheOneAndOnly
02-27-2009, 08:12 AM
We're all talking about how good Nadal is, how good or bad Roger is or becoming.

What about Novak?

Novak's got the goods. If he'd just let his racket do the talking (rather than his mouth and head), like Sampras did, I think Novak can have a nice run at #1 for a good 2-3 Years.

He probably won't have the long streak like Roger because Novak's strokes are too limited. He doesn't have a 1 handed backhand, and his slice backhand looks a bit constrained. Whereas a 1-handed backhand (if a good one) can be much more versatile and can save a LOT of energy for a player.

Novak is young, and thus has lots of energy.

Nadal will probably be Novak's biggest obstacle. Why? Nadal's hunger to stay #1, and that's a big big obstacle. Also, Nadal just will not make mistakes.

Novak's got to 'bring the game to them' and start attacking more.

My main point here is that Novak's got the goods, but not such that it can carry him for 5 years as #1. I'd say about 2-3 years at #1.

However, unless Novak calms his mind, bites his tongue during inflammatory comments against him, or any mild or harsh mannered jokes towards him, his place as #3, #4, or #2 may be just that.

To become #1 AND SUSTAIN this position, a tennis player must be able to provide the goods and maintain a calm, quiet mind. Kinda like Borg. Kinda like Sampras.

This is important 'on' the court and 'off' the court, as long as the person is a professional tennis player.

In other words, Novak MUST let his racket do the talking, and start maturing up, not in the sense of immaturity and maturity from adolescence to adulthood, but simply 'maturing' in the game of tennis.

The #1 spot is not that that difficult to attain. Hewitt did it. Agassi did it. Mats Wilander did it. Stefan Edberg did it. Boris Becker did it. EVEN Patrick Rafter did it! But not for too long.

They are not Lendl. They are not McEnroe. They are not Borg. They are not Sampras.

Therefore, what's the prescription for Novak Djokovic?
ANSWER: Calm His Mind, and Keep His Mouth Closed EVEN IN THE MIDST of what he may think is UNJUST or UNFAIR.

What I mean by keeping his mouth closed is not in a literal sense. It basically means that he can, of course, air out his opinions, but if he does so, to do it in a well-mannered, quiet, calm, unnerved way -- definitely something opposite of his attitude at the US Open. Definitely not like that.

Novak can, therefore, be #1, but if he wants to sustain it for 2-3+ years, he must learn to quiet his mind, and start developing (or 'practicing') an air and attitude of calm and, of course, humility.

For Pride and Humility are enemies.

Just watch the post-match conferences, and interviews of him, as well as other players, and you'll know what I'm talking about: The traits of a champion by the way they are during these times.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Seriously, I wouldnt be surprised if Djoker never has a run at the #1 ranking. He had ample opportunity there to grab that #2 from Roger and failed. I dunno if he can grab the number 1 much less hold it for any amount of time. His mental faculties and conditioning leave much to be desired

tennis_hand
02-27-2009, 08:15 AM
he is no 1 material, but he won't dispatch the rest of the players as Fed did in a few years. He can't even consistently beat Murray who is of the same age.

TheOneAndOnly
02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes, his so-called 'mental facutlies', and the fact that he can't dispatch Murray are some of the reasons, still right now, why it may be tough for him to reach and sustain a #1 ranking.

It's simply of a matter of 'tennis maturity'.

It's a choice he has to make IN HIS OWN MIND, 'How' he wants to play the game of tennis.

You see, there IS a path towards 'Victory'.

Tennis is not about strokes only.

The old saying that "It's about the Attitude" is true.

Whether in tennis, soccer, work, play, and perhaps even in the family.

Traits of Calm, Patience, Humility, Steadiness, Diligence, and Hard Work. These go with Success.

On the issue of Murray and Novak's 'mental faculties'? Murray's got the hunger, and that's another roadblock for Novak. Murray, however, too, hasn't matured yet in tennis, and you can see it (at least the last time I saw him play) in the way his attitude is on the court -- Murray doesnn't have the calm, quiet, demeanor. Nadal does, EVEN THOUGH we see Nadal pump himself up over and over again.

Regarding, Novak's 'mental faculties', once again, it's a matter of time, and this is up to Novak as to WHEN HE CHOOSES to take that path towards assuming the role of a Champion's Attitude.

scotus
02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Connors and McEnroe didn't hold any punches back when it came to mouthing off.

I don't think it has so much to do with calming one's mind as with having the will to come out on top and pay the price for it on and off the court.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes, his so-called 'mental facutlies', and the fact that he can't dispatch Murray are some of the reasons, still right now, why it may be tough for him to reach and sustain a #1 ranking.

It's simply of a matter of 'tennis maturity'.

It's a choice he has to make IN HIS OWN MIND, 'How' he wants to play the game of tennis.

You see, there IS a path towards 'Victory'.

Tennis is not about strokes only.

The old saying that "It's about the Attitude" is true.

Whether in tennis, soccer, work, play, and perhaps even in the family.

Traits of Calm, Patience, Humility, Steadiness, Diligence, and Hard Work. These go with Success.

On the issue of Murray and Novak's 'mental faculties'? Murray's got the hunger, and that's another roadblock for Novak. Murray, however, too, hasn't matured yet in tennis, and you can see it (at least the last time I saw him play) in the way his attitude is on the court -- Murray doesnn't have the calm, quiet, demeanor. Nadal does, EVEN THOUGH we see Nadal pump himself up over and over again.

Regarding, Novak's 'mental faculties', once again, it's a matter of time, and this is up to Novak as to WHEN HE CHOOSES to take that path towards assuming the role of a Champion's Attitude.

Well he certainly looked like he was on the right road there at the beginning of 08 and winning the AO, then having an impressive French Open. Since then, hes been ok.. But not capable of his best. His Wimbeldon match with Safin along with Fed demolishing him at the USO, the tournament in which I felt Djoker would win, left me scratching my head as to what the heck is going on with this guy

TheOneAndOnly
02-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Well he certainly looked like he was on the right road there at the beginning of 08 and winning the AO, then having an impressive French Open. Since then, hes been ok.. But not capable of his best. His Wimbeldon match with Safin along with Fed demolishing him at the USO, the tournament in which I felt Djoker would win, left me scratching my head as to what the heck is going on with this guy

Once again, it's about 'tennis maturity'

federerdomination
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
We're all talking about how good Nadal is, how good or bad Roger is or becoming.

What about Novak?

Novak's got the goods. If he'd just let his racket do the talking (rather than his mouth and head), like Sampras did, I think Novak can have a nice run at #1 for a good 2-3 Years.

He probably won't have the long streak like Roger because Novak's strokes are too limited. He doesn't have a 1 handed backhand, and his slice backhand looks a bit constrained. Whereas a 1-handed backhand (if a good one) can be much more versatile and can save a LOT of energy for a player.

Novak is young, and thus has lots of energy.

Nadal will probably be Novak's biggest obstacle. Why? Nadal's hunger to stay #1, and that's a big big obstacle. Also, Nadal just will not make mistakes.

Novak's got to 'bring the game to them' and start attacking more.

My main point here is that Novak's got the goods, but not such that it can carry him for 5 years as #1. I'd say about 2-3 years at #1.

However, unless Novak calms his mind, bites his tongue during inflammatory comments against him, or any mild or harsh mannered jokes towards him, his place as #3, #4, or #2 may be just that.

To become #1 AND SUSTAIN this position, a tennis player must be able to provide the goods and maintain a calm, quiet mind. Kinda like Borg. Kinda like Sampras.

This is important 'on' the court and 'off' the court, as long as the person is a professional tennis player.

In other words, Novak MUST let his racket do the talking, and start maturing up, not in the sense of immaturity and maturity from adolescence to adulthood, but simply 'maturing' in the game of tennis.

The #1 spot is not that that difficult to attain. Hewitt did it. Agassi did it. Mats Wilander did it. Stefan Edberg did it. Boris Becker did it. EVEN Patrick Rafter did it! But not for too long.

They are not Lendl. They are not McEnroe. They are not Borg. They are not Sampras.

Therefore, what's the prescription for Novak Djokovic?
ANSWER: Calm His Mind, and Keep His Mouth Closed EVEN IN THE MIDST of what he may think is UNJUST or UNFAIR.

What I mean by keeping his mouth closed is not in a literal sense. It basically means that he can, of course, air out his opinions, but if he does so, to do it in a well-mannered, quiet, calm, unnerved way -- definitely something opposite of his attitude at the US Open. Definitely not like that.

Novak can, therefore, be #1, but if he wants to sustain it for 2-3+ years, he must learn to quiet his mind, and start developing (or 'practicing') an air and attitude of calm and, of course, humility.

For Pride and Humility are enemies.

Just watch the post-match conferences, and interviews of him, as well as other players, and you'll know what I'm talking about: The traits of a champion by the way they are during these times.

R u kidding me? It's VERY hard to attain. Just because some people u think don't "deserve" it got the #1 ranking doesn't mean it's easy by any means.

tahiti
02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Every player has their own character and I think since Nole has calmed down a bit with the joking around he's become too serious, takes himself too seriously and just doesn't play freely. He's got far more talent than what he's been showing lately.

Even though he's in the final in Dubai, he's struggled basically in every match.

Still I like Djoko, maybe he's just going through a period on non-performance, reached his peak and needs to wait till the next period when it'll come back.