PDA

View Full Version : Help! Durability question for Multlifilaments/Natural Gut

smart_player
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
which will be more durable:

a full Multifilament / Natural Gut

in comparison to

Multifilament / Nutural Gut on the Mains with a Poly on the Crosses?

I was thinking a full Multifilament / Natural Gut would last longer due to the lack of friction / abrasion caused by having a poly on the crosses, however i'm not 100% on this as i dont have so much knowledge on strings so this is why i ask (btw, out of the question to have full poly or poly on the mains)

snoopy
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
A full natural gut stringjob will last a good while. A quality natural gut is pretty durable.

Most multis aren't very durable. Although I have found Yonex 850 to be pretty good

A natural gut/poly hybrid will also last longer than a full multi or multi/poly stringjob.

How often do you break strings? Many people don't break strings that often so you may be making a bigger issue out of this than you need to.

smart_player
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
A full natural gut stringjob will last a good while. A quality natural gut is pretty durable.

Most multis aren't very durable. Although I have found Yonex 850 to be pretty good

A natural gut/poly hybrid will also last longer than a full multi or multi/poly stringjob.

How often do you break strings? Many people don't break strings that often so you may be making a bigger issue out of this than you need to.

i play full time on futurers circuit so i break string like once every two days (i play pretty flat from the baseline and play primarily on hard surface)

kashgotmoney
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
this guy i know said multifeel lasts pretty long. but other multis like nrg2 and gamma proffesioanl lasted me about 5 hours

Djokovicfan4life
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, I'm certainly no beast when it comes to string breaking, but I broke three sets of full gut (Babolat VS) in a fairly short time, or at least for me. I tried out a hybrid of VS 17 mains, Luxilon Ace 18 crosses and it's holding up just fine.

So IMO, the gut/poly hybrid is more durable. Of course, it probably depends on the texture of the string in the crosses, as you said. Luxilon Ace is very soft.

Matt

jazar
02-27-2009, 11:39 PM
i never use full multi or gut in my rackets. i use them in hybrids and recently i've been getting more durability out of gut hybrids than multi hybrids

snoopy
02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
What string setup are you using now? Why are you making changes, just to increase durability?

Whatever string you put in the mains, that's the string that will affect the feel and play the most.

If you're breaking strings that often, I don't think it matters what set up you use, you are going to break it no matter what.

Even if poly doesn't break on you, it goes dead pretty quick, so you would want to change it often.

Poly in the mains and gut crosses is the set up most of the top players are using.

sk8ing
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
gut/poly is exteremely durable ive had it for the longest of any string

ag200boy
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
What string setup are you using now? Why are you making changes, just to increase durability?

Whatever string you put in the mains, that's the string that will affect the feel and play the most.

If you're breaking strings that often, I don't think it matters what set up you use, you are going to break it no matter what.

Even if poly doesn't break on you, it goes dead pretty quick, so you would want to change it often.

Poly in the mains and gut crosses is the set up most of the top players are using.

hes playing full-time on the futures circuit, im sure he breaks anything before its dead

snoopy
02-28-2009, 02:49 PM

We are in agreement.

ag200boy
02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
oh, sorry man-didnt see that part, i was just skimming.

my bad, i should have read thoroughly before i criticized