PDA

View Full Version : Did the POG 1 stripe come before th 4 stripe?

Keifers
02-27-2009, 03:01 PM
And were there differences between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Bud
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes. I believe this is the progression from the original (c. 1978 )

POG1 - grommetless - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG2 - single grommets - 1 stripe (teardrop head - no bumper)
POG3 - grommet strip - 1 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG4 - grommet strip - 4 stripe (modern head + bumper)
POG5 - "Straight Shaft"
POG6 - "Tour" - current POG

Some feel the modern POG is stiffer than past POGs.

Some feel the 4 stripe was the best POG.

Keifers
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you, sir. Much appreciated.

I have a chance to pick up a POG3 OS that's in pretty good shape and was wondering how it might be different from a POG4.

I've heard that some people regard the 4 stripe as the best. Why?... Anyone?

jimbo333
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Because the 4 stripe is considered the "major" racquet:) Or should that be sergeant LOL, I obviously have no idea!!!

plasma
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a solid POG 1 stripe made in USA, yup...1st generation. The best made were midsize POG 90's, a skoche smaller than the stiff copies made today. They have 4 green pinstripes and are marked "Midplus" "Prince Graphite Series 90". Twice as much plough through as a ps 85, which has excellent flex, control and dwell time already. POG rates even higher for control although the smaller rounder wilson head suits my game more.
Can't share the proprietary secrets but if the public knew the difference between the materials in a four stripe and a microgel prestige the mg would go for $30 and the POG 4 stripe for $450...

Bud
03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I have a solid POG 1 stripe made in USA, yup...1st generation. The best made were midsize POG 90's, a skoche smaller than the stiff copies made today. They have 4 green pinstripes and are marked "Midplus" "Prince Graphite Series 90". Twice as much plough through as a ps 85, which has excellent flex, control and dwell time already. POG rates even higher for control although the smaller rounder wilson head suits my game more.
Can't share the proprietary secrets but if the public knew the difference between the materials in a four stripe and a microgel prestige the mg would go for $30 and the POG 4 stripe for $450...

Hey Plaz, is your 1-striper grommetless?

jetlee2k
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I have played and collected all version of POG.. From bumperless, 1stripes.. to 4 stripes.. but I thought 1 stripe is the best.. in FEEL, touch, and hefty.. I think it's heavier than the 4stripes and softer.. one of the best racquet PRINCE ever made.. I just played with the new EXO3 93/100.. They are very closed to the old POG.. great racquet.. but the new Rebel 95 is not a good racquet.. too light.. too shaky.. without any feel or touch..

plasma
03-01-2009, 11:25 PM
..heavy 1 stripe is a bumperless masterpiece, slightly different headshape form 4 stripe, sublime pro stock...

psp2
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=221573

http://tinyurl.com/5bpjah

plasma
03-02-2009, 12:18 AM
POG 1 sripe original is marked "made in USA" and is grommet free. Has patent info dated 1977 (Canada) and 1979 (South Africa), other international patents for the Bentely Fortis-, I mean the "Prince Graphite" were "pending"....

Keifers
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Hmm, the 1 stripe OS I got this weekend looks very similar to this:

http://tinyurl.com/5bpjah
except it has a bumperguard and the "i" in Prince is solid green.

On one side of the throat it says, "GRAPHITE 110" and on the other side, there's a box with text that includes "PRINCE(R) GRAPHITE SERIES 110" and "PATENTED(C) 1978 PRINCE MFG., INC"

String tension range is 60-75 lbs. Static weight is 360 grams.

Does this mean that some 1 stripes were made with bumperguards? Or was a bumperguard added to this frame?

psp2
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Hmm, the 1 stripe OS I got this weekend looks very similar to this:

except it has a bumperguard and the "i" in Prince is solid green.

On one side of the throat it says, "GRAPHITE 110" and on the other side, there's a box with text that includes "PRINCE(R) GRAPHITE SERIES 110" and "PATENTED(C) 1978 PRINCE MFG., INC"

String tension range is 60-75 lbs. Static weight is 360 grams.

Does this mean that some 1 stripes were made with bumperguards? Or was a bumperguard added to this frame?

You have a: POG3 - grommet strip - 1 stripe (modern head + bumper)

Keifers
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah, you're right. (Brain cramp!)

FedererExpress
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I saw a POG MID 4 strip in 4 1/4 grip at the Tennis Express in Houston, Texas for 120 if anyone was interested. They also had the "Straight shaft" version, but i don't remember what grip size it was

jorel
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
why is the four stripe so good?

BTW.. i just tried this racquet and i can see what the hype is about... its almost like a friendlier version of the Tour 90 or like a friendlier version of the original WIlson sting (which was the predecessor to the 6.0 85.

Princegod
03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I have played and collected all version of POG.. From bumperless, 1stripes.. to 4 stripes.. but I thought 1 stripe is the best.. in FEEL, touch, and hefty.. I think it's heavier than the 4stripes and softer.. one of the best racquet PRINCE ever made..

I'm in agreement that 1 stripe is the best of all POG's. I've played POG1, POG3, POG4. The grommetless I actually didn't like but the upper hoop was worn out and too flexible, so it wasn't a prime example. The POG3 is an awesome racket with sweet feel and flex (the best of all POG's). POG4 doesn't have as much feel as POG3, and is slightly stiffer and not as comfortable.

I had a chance to buy POG2 but deal fell through. :( POG5 and POG6 I really don't have much interest in.

plasma
03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
four stripe is almost better than sex...are you crazy? does yours say: "series 90 midplus"?

Keifers
03-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm in agreement that 1 stripe is the best of all POG's. I've played POG1, POG3, POG4. The grommetless I actually didn't like but the upper hoop was worn out and too flexible, so it wasn't a prime example. The POG3 is an awesome racket with sweet feel and flex (the best of all POG's). POG4 doesn't have as much feel as POG3, and is slightly stiffer and not as comfortable.

I had a chance to buy POG2 but deal fell through. :( POG5 and POG6 I really don't have much interest in.
Did the POG3s come with leather grip? And what was the color?

(Maybe all POGs have come with leather grips? I don't know enough about them.)

Princegod
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
four stripe is almost better than sex...are you crazy? does yours say: "series 90 midplus"?

Plasma actually no, I should have mentioned 110 sq. in. are the ones I play. The 90 sq in. I'm not familiar so I'll let someone else compare and contrast. :)

Princegod
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Did the POG3s come with leather grip? And what was the color?

(Maybe all POGs have come with leather grips? I don't know enough about them.)

AFAIK all POG's came with leather. The early grommetless I had was very dark brown leather with no Prince logo embossed from what I remember. My POG 3 is a much lighter leather with Prince logo embossed.

Edit: The color of my POG3 leather is actually kind of a cream/light beige color.

Keifers
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
AFAIK all POG's came with leather. The early grommetless I had was very dark brown leather with no Prince logo embossed from what I remember. My POG 3 is a much lighter leather with Prince logo embossed.

Edit: The color of my POG3 leather is actually kind of a cream/light beige color.
Thanks for the info.

MichaelChang
03-11-2009, 04:41 AM
There are a couple of subtle differences in the early version of POG OSs.

Besides the teardrop shape, the POG1/2 has thinner beam, and shorter handle, so short that you may find it uncomfortable if you are 2hand backhand.

The POG3 is heavier. It is so heavy that mine weights close to 13oz. Starting the POG3 the beam width has been the same. The POG3 is also flexier than the POG4 and the later models.

Regarding whether POG3 or POG4 is the best POG OS. I tend to think if you can handle a hefty 13oz oversize racket, POG3 is your choice. Otherwise, POG4 is easier to swing.

Also about POG3: I believe this is the one that Agassi, and Chang used in their early career.

tandayu
03-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Besides the teardrop shape, the POG1/2 has thinner beam, and shorter handle, so short that you may find it uncomfortable if you are 2hand backhand.

The POG3 is heavier. It is so heavy that mine weights close to 13oz. Starting the POG3 the beam width has been the same. The POG3 is also flexier than the POG4 and the later models.

Regarding whether POG3 or POG4 is the best POG OS. I tend to think if you can handle a hefty 13oz oversize racket, POG3 is your choice. Otherwise, POG4 is easier to swing.

Also about POG3: I believe this is the one that Agassi, and Chang used in their early career.

POG1/2: Sabatini, Annacone

Princegod
03-11-2009, 12:45 PM

The Prince Boron I have is 13 oz or so, however the POG3 "110" I have probably isn't more than 12.5 oz. so could be some variation in racket manufacture. I find the POG3 is just as easy to swing as POG4 at least in my case. The Boron is noticeably hefty though switching between POG3.

The POG1 and POG2 definitely has a shorter grip so that can be a negative or positive depending on what a person prefers.

MichaelChang
03-12-2009, 03:26 AM
the POG3 "110" I have probably isn't more than 12.5 oz. so could be some variation in racket manufacture.

Possible, that seems to be happening a lot with the rackets made in the 80s.
I personally liked the POG3 better than 4 due to its flex and more raw power.

Schills
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM

True about the weight. My POG 3 with overgrip and dampener comes in at 13.4oz. However, it swings very easy. I haven't measured, but it must be fairly headlight.

Keifers
03-15-2009, 11:34 PM
I replaced the grip of my POG3 110 yesterday with a TW leather grip and it now measures 369 grams (13 ozs.) and ~9.5 pts HL.

With an overgrip: 375 grams and ~10.5 pts HL.

Very maneuverable, doesn't feel like 13+ ozs. at all. :)

MichaelChang
03-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Yep like the balance. the POG1 to 4 all have good balance. It is the recent remakes that become less head light. POG3 is a real monster for baseline bashing.

Keifers
03-16-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm looking forward to hitting with it!

AndrewD
03-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Yep like the balance. the POG1 to 4 all have good balance. It is the recent remakes that become less head light. POG3 is a real monster for baseline bashing.

Those recent changes to the POG OS (the Mid hasn't change balance - had to say in case someone didn't know we were only referring to the OS) have actually worked to make it even more of a beast from the baseline. Slightly stiffer than the earlier models, quite a bit less head light, a bit higher swingweight (that might fluctuate) but pretty much the same static weight makes for a significantly more potent baseliner's frame.

Unfortunately, while it is more of a beast at the baseline it's lost a bit up at net due to the drop in mobility and isn't so well balanced for an all-courter or a serve-volley player.

Keifers
03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, I just hit with my "new" POG3 110 for about an hour and a half. What a nice racquet! Very solid, excellent heft -- it just moves through the ball. Feels solid but it's not a thick, dull kind of solid. There's a lively, sweet feel on impact... It kind of "sings"... I don't know how else to describe it.

aussie
04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Guys, I've never owned any POGs, although I do have a pristine aluminium Pro 110 and was wondering if you could give me your opinion of the current model POG - the Prince Graphite Classic Tour OS. Are they still a fine racquet even if not quite to the standard of the earlier models?

aussie

plasma
04-12-2009, 09:22 PM
can't wait to string up my pog 3,...feels lighter than how I remember the 4 stripe...perfect balance like all top 80's players racquets, the potential for generating controlled momentum through this thing looks to be infinite!!!