PDA

View Full Version : Wilson NXT Defect?

Al Czervik
02-27-2009, 06:33 PM
I bought a Microgel Prestige Pro last weekend and had the local shop string up with NXT at 58. Brought it out for beer league doubles last night and popped a string at the top of the bed a little over an hour into play. The break didn't happen at the knot, so it I don't think it was stringer error.

I took it back to my local shop today, ready to lobby for a credit. The head stringer shook his head, said they had a "bad batch," three or four other people had similar problems, and the stringer had even broken the string twice recently during stringing.

I just wanted to see if this is a local deal or a common problem. NXT had never caused me problems the first few times I used it and I was happy I had found a multi I like. :(

lawlitssoo1n
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
maybe its the stringing machine????

fluffy Beaver
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
It just sounds like a shank to me. If you're not familiar with what breaking strings on a shank is, it's just breaking strings anywhere near the frame. Strings deflect greatly when a ball is struck, so that much deflection near the frame = breakage since the string is unable to bend correctly. Can happen even on a brand new string job in minutes if you miss hit the ball hard enough.

Lindsay
02-28-2009, 04:53 AM
About 3 years ago we got a bad batch of this same string. The string was incredibly rough to the touch on parts and a brownish color and measured almost 18g in a 16 package. We've also gotten demo string that looked like wet gut- white and puffy in parts. I remember it being almost too thick to use in a tie-off hole. All was sent back and replaced with no problem.