PDA

View Full Version : Control vs. Spin???

antgun007
02-27-2009, 11:13 PM
They may seem like a very stupid question to be asking but, what is the difference between topspin and control. here is a statement I found online...

An open string pattern has an increased gap between strings for better grip when applying spin on the ball. A dense string pattern offers more control of the ball, but requires more power for applying spin.

So, I read it a few times and I'm still lost. a dense string pattern is for more control but it requires more power for spin???? what does this mean? so control versus topspin, which is more important? I guess I understand spin, the more spin off the racket the slower the ball travels but you keep it in play. but the control aspect is what's throwing me off. please help me!

sonicboi21
02-28-2009, 04:27 AM
A closed string pattern has a more predictable string bed. meaning that almost every shot you hit on the sweetspot will feel similar and not go in different directions from where you aim for. Wtih an open string pattern, the ball has more space to dwell in your racket, thus producing spin. But the dwell time may cuase the ball to go in a slightly different direction. In my exp, there really is to difference. I could produce the same amount of spin with a 18x20 with a 16x19

corners
02-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I might be wrong, but the reading I've done leads me to believe that the old CW - open string patterns give more spin because the squares are bigger, so the ball is bitten better - is incorrect. I think instead that fewer cross strings in an open pattern provide less friction - allowing the main strings to move more, and it is this movement of the mains (and subsequent snapping back) that creates spin, and more dwell time.

I don't know about control, but my impression is that modern pros are going toward max spin, and thus max movement setups. Look at Fed's setup: super-slick poly crosses at low tension allow extremely elastic natural gut mains to bite, slide and snap back - creating maximum spin. But then again, there are limits to this, and different preferences: Davydenko, a more flat hitter, switched to a 18x20 Prince and credited the dense pattern, and the resulting control, for his thrashing of Nadal in Miami (?) last year.

There are a bunch of old posts on this subject - most with the poster travlerajm as the main protagonist. A search for "travlerajm strings" will provide hours of interesting and time-wasting reading.

italianopalo
03-01-2009, 12:46 AM
To be honest, I have actually found more spin with an 18x20 pattern racquet than a 16x18 one. It's probably due to my improving skills especially head speed. I don't really think control is drastically affected by a few more strings.

antgun007
03-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Okay, sounds good guys, thanks for the info.