PDA

View Full Version : Liquidmetal Fire and Yonex Ultimum RQ Ti-260

Davidbrent
03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm in the market for a new racquet and have been looking at a few different models. I have been using a Yonex RD-7 since forever but I think I need a slightly lighter racquet with just a touch more power and larger sweetspot. On the other hand, I don't want to sacrifice too much control since I play at a fairly decent 4.5+ level.

I was at the racquet shop today and told the guy what I was after. He recommended the Yonex Ultimum RQ Ti-260. It feels like too much of a tweener racquet but I got a demo and will try it out this weekend. Has anyone played with this racquet?? I can't seem to find any reviews of it.

He also recommended the Head Liquidmetal Fire racquet. I wanted to demo that but there wasn't one available. It felt fantastic in my hand though and having a few swings. I also love the paint job on it, more than the Yonex. Anyone recommend this racquet??

Thanks!

Fatmike
03-03-2005, 05:34 AM
I'm in the market for a new racquet and have been looking at a few different models. I have been using a Yonex RD-7 since forever but I think I need a slightly lighter racquet with just a touch more power and larger sweetspot. On the other hand, I don't want to sacrifice too much control since I play at a fairly decent 4.5+ level.

I was at the racquet shop today and told the guy what I was after. He recommended the Yonex Ultimum RQ Ti-260. It feels like too much of a tweener racquet but I got a demo and will try it out this weekend. Has anyone played with this racquet?? I can't seem to find any reviews of it.

He also recommended the Head Liquidmetal Fire racquet. I wanted to demo that but there wasn't one available. It felt fantastic in my hand though and having a few swings. I also love the paint job on it, more than the Yonex. Anyone recommend this racquet??

Thanks!

I have the LM Fire and I'm quite satisfied with it....

Jerry Seinfeld
03-03-2005, 07:54 AM
David,

Please post your findings after hitting with the 260. I am curious to know how it plays. Based on specs it won't play ANYTHING like your RD7. Much lighter and head heavy. A closer match in the Yonex family is the RDX 500 or 500mid, though the RD7 is a classic.

mdmicawber
03-03-2005, 08:31 AM
David Brent from Wernham-Hogg Paper?...Try the Yonex MP Tour-5, it's flexible, light, powerful, and easily customized. My friend has the liquidmetal fire and it's a cannon, way to powerful for a 4.5 in my estimation.

Davidbrent
03-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Yes, i am David Brent from Werhnam-Hogg....I'm a friend first, boss second, probably entertainer third......and tennis player fourth :)

Thanks for your help guys, I will post my experience with the 260 when I hit with it. I think the guy at the shop may have got the wrong idea - I don't want a racquet equivalent to the RD-7 but I don't want a chunky power stick either.

The MP Tour-5 sounds like it could be good with a bit of weight added, from reading these boards. I was also looking at an MP Tour-1, Head Liquidmetal Instinct and one of the Babolat Pure Control midplus racquets......any thoughts on those?

Davidbrent
03-03-2005, 10:12 PM
The MP Tour-1 does seem to get some indifferent reviews, but I am considering it since it's easy to get it quite cheaply now and it seems like it should be a good racquet.

mdmicawber
03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
I have put lead on my Tour-5 at all positions and have found the best solution to be 5 to 6 inch long pieces at 3 and 9. This stabilizes the racquet on return of serve, volleys, and groundstrokes from a heavy hitter. This is a wicked racquet for serving and putting spin on the ball.

Davidbrent
03-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, I demoed the Ultimum today and it basically played how I thought it would. It's actually a pretty nice racquet but it did confirm for me that I need something just a bit more solid (ie. heavier). It was kind of like playing with one of those old Wilson Hammers (I can't remember which model), the black ones with the white side bits. Nice consistent power and suprisingly good touch on angled shots....I didn't mind the lack of weight on my two-handed backhand, but for some reason I found myself wanting the extra weight on the forehand....I didn't volley much with it so I don't really know what it's like in that area.....I didn't like serving with it though since I couldn't really feel where the head of my racquet was above my head, and I'm not used to that. It sort of felt like I didn't really have much idea where the serve would go. Don't get me wrong, I served OK with it, but again, I just needed a bit more weight. If you're after more of a light, power racquet though, it's probably as good as almost anything else out there.

I also had a hit with the RDX 300 (I'm not sure why, since I never had any intention of buying it!) and I must say, I liked it quite a bit.....had that nice Yonex feel and very manouverable.....I'm still going to try out the RDX 500 and the Head Liquidmetal Fire (I know it's light and it's probably not for me but I'm curious to see how it plays!).