PDA

View Full Version : What's a "lucky loser" a.k.a. Rik de Vosest

lpicken
02-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Explain to me please.

VGP
02-28-2009, 08:32 AM
A lucky loser is a player that loses in the last round of qualifying (thus not making the main draw) that is granted a spot in the main draw after a player withdraws. These players are usually chosen at random.

(it's not a derogatory term with regards to Rik De Voest or any other player for that matter)

Hankenstein
02-28-2009, 08:47 AM
A Lucky Looser, or LL as itīs shortened in the draws works like this.

Each player participating in the Qualifying draw and loose in rd1, 2, 3 or 4th if itīs that many rounds, can sign up on the lucky looser list. If a player withdraws from the main-draw, then the highest ranked player in the last round getīs into the draw. If no one except a looser in the 1st QF rd signs up, well, then he gets in.

It was a big news about this in Sweden 3-4 years ago, when NO ONE in the Qualifying draw of the Stockholm open atp event signed up as Lucky looser. There where some young, unranked swedish players in the draw and just by getting a LL spot they would have gotten something like 2500 dollars and 5 atp-points if they lost 1st rd in the main event

lpicken
02-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanx. I need to sign for these cause that is pretty much how I felt all my life: a lucky loser!!! lol.

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 09:50 AM
A Lucky Looser, or LL as itīs shortened in the draws works like this.

Each player participating in the Qualifying draw and loose in rd1, 2, 3 or 4th if itīs that many rounds, can sign up on the lucky looser list. If a player withdraws from the main-draw, then the highest ranked player in the last round getīs into the draw. If no one except a looser in the 1st QF rd signs up, well, then he gets in.

It was a big news about this in Sweden 3-4 years ago, when NO ONE in the Qualifying draw of the Stockholm open atp event signed up as Lucky looser. There where some young, unranked swedish players in the draw and just by getting a LL spot they would have gotten something like 2500 dollars and 5 atp-points if they lost 1st rd in the main eventThanks. Very interesting story.