PDA

View Full Version : Why Nadal says "no?" after some sentences

ESP#1
02-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I notice alot of people like to joke nadal for saying "no?" after each sentence. I don't get me wrong when done in good taste it is funny. What bothers me is when people begin to assume that he isn't intelligent or articulate just because he doesn't speak english well.

To those who criticize let me ask this. How many languages do you speak? I know you don't speak spanish because if you did you would realize that Nadal is a pretty smart 22 year old. Is Andy Murray dumb? I mean he trained in Spain for a while and couldn't even say a few words when he won the masters in madrid.

Anyway "no?" is an abbreviation for "no crees" which means "don't you think?" which is a very common phrase used in Spain.

miyagi
02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I notice alot of people like to joke nadal for saying "no?" after each sentence. I don't get me wrong when done in good taste it is funny. What bothers me is when people begin to assume that he isn't intelligent or articulate just because he doesn't speak english well.

To those who criticize let me ask this. How many languages do you speak? I know you don't speak spanish because if you did you would realize that Nadal is a pretty smart 22 year old. Is Andy Murray dumb? I mean he trained in Spain for a while and couldn't even say a few words when he won the masters in madrid.

Anyway "no?" is an abbreviation for "no crees" which means "don't you think?" which is a very common phrase used in Spain.

I thought most people understood why he did this?

Well....anyone who had traveled or spoken to someone who's first language is not English...

His play shows he is very intelligent....

ESP#1
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM
You'd be surprise what people on these threads know and don't know. Thought I would clarify.

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks. Coming from California I have had a broad brush with Spanish and have frequently been on vacation in Mexico. Yes, I do understand but am also guilty of making jokes about the "no". Your comment should make me think twice before I do it again. Good work!

skip1969
02-28-2009, 10:52 AM
i'm not sure anyone on here actually thinks nadal is dumb. it's just something to poke fun at.

tahiti
02-28-2009, 10:55 AM
The English do the same thing all the time. They tag questions onto the ends of sentences, don't they?

The French do it too, only they use the word "non" for confirmation. Oui, c'est bon non?

The Dutch do it too "ik vind het best mooi weer, ja toch?" (it's nice weather isn't it?)

The Spanish do it too, similar to the French as they are all latin based languages no?

Has nothing to do with intelligence at all. Has to do with language and culture. :)
Just makes Nadal more cute and diverse. Nice change from Roger's "Yeah man, you know"

seffina
02-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Roger's is "Look, you know."
Rafa's is "For sure, no?"

It's the key to being a champion. That's why the rest of the field sucks.

babbette
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
you know what in Europe it's common to add "no?" or "non?" at the end of your sentence. It's like when English speaking countries add "right?" at the end of their sentences.

rubberduckies
02-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I always just assumed he had split personalities or something. One side would say something, and then the other would contradict it. It's also how he plays with his supposedly off hand.

Nadal_Freak
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
That's what I'm trying to say you know. no?

Cloudy
02-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I always just assumed he had split personalities or something. One side would say something, and then the other would contradict it. It's also how he plays with his supposedly off hand.

;) :twisted:

I think it's quite endearing actually.

mozzer
02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Im English and do it because i take Spanish at school :/

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 02:22 PM
The English do the same thing all the time. They tag questions onto the ends of sentences, don't they?

The French do it too, only they use the word "non" for confirmation. Oui, c'est bon non?

The Dutch do it too "ik vind het best mooi weer, ja toch?" (it's nice weather isn't it?)

The Spanish do it too, similar to the French as they are all latin based languages no?

Has nothing to do with intelligence at all. Has to do with language and culture. :)
Just makes Nadal more cute and diverse. Nice change from Roger's "Yeah man, you know"Wow. A linguist. Thanks for the lesson.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
02-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Rafa's is "For sure, no?" VERY true:)

Hot Sauce
02-28-2009, 03:03 PM

:)

Well put!

armsty
02-28-2009, 03:07 PM

This made me laugh.

vbranis
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I have to agree that all Latin-based languages add the 'no' at the end of sentences frequently. I know Romanian, and the word 'nu' (meaning 'no') basically means 'you know' in English. People say it without even realizing that some might consider it awkward and grammatically incorrect.

Roger: "It's a pity..."

saram
02-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I consider Rafa to be one of the most intelligent blokes on tour.

breadstick
02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
A lot of the Spanish players seem to say 'no?' at the end of their sentences. I think it's just a language thing.

veroniquem
02-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Just makes Nadal more cute and diverse. Nice change from Roger's "Yeah man, you know"
The French also do it with "n'est-ce pas?": c'est bon, n'est-ce pas? (= it's good, isn't it?)

Dilettante
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
A lot of the Spanish players seem to say 'no?' at the end of their sentences. I think it's just a language thing.

I say "no?" at the end of my sentences, too.

NickC
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM

Not so, my man. It's "no te piensas?" (might have spelled that one wrong, I've just had a few drinks) and even though I live in Mexico, I hang out with a TON of Spaniards, and that's what they all say.

And for the OP, I'm no native speaker of Spanish, or am I fluent by any means. I do live in Mexico, and have been for a while (8 months) and I speak it pretty damn well, as my friends tell me. I even have a Castillan lisp when I speak!

saram
02-28-2009, 06:09 PM
^^ESP#1 is from Spain, Nick....just lives in the states....

NickC
02-28-2009, 06:13 PM
^^ESP#1 is from Spain, Nick....just lives in the states....

Oh, really? Never knew that, just figured he was a Nadal bandwagoner. My mistake, I'll edit my earlier post!

Dilettante
02-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Not so, my man. It's "no te piensas?" (might have spelled that one wrong, I've just had a few drinks) and even though I live in Mexico, I hang out with a TON of Spaniards, and that's what they all say.

And for the OP, I'm no native speaker of Spanish, or am I fluent by any means. However, one thing is certain. My spanish is probably a hell of a lot better than yours, as I live in a country that counts Spanish as it's language and I speak it 24/7, and have been for almost a year now. Before that, I took Spanish for 6 years.

Don't know about Mexicans, but in Spain the common phrase is "no crees?".

"No te piensas?" is not used in Spain: that literally means "don't you think about yourself?", but you won't hear it used in normal conversations ("no piensas en ti?" is used instead). "No te piensas?" sounds old and literary. I guess you meant "no te parece?".

I know in Argentina they say "no es cierto?" a lot.

ferb55
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
First off I like Rafa and think he is a tremendous talent. However, if anyone wants to poke fun at him all they have to do is pick their arse everytime they make a move. I cant believe his handlers or someone doesnt tell him how unflattering it is to watch anyone yank at their underwear before every single shot!!

Pleae stop Rafa.

saram
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Oh, really? Never knew that, just figured he was a Nadal bandwagoner. My mistake, I'll edit my earlier post!

He is actually not a bandwagoner of Nadal at all. Actually likes Gasquet, Ferrer and Ferrero. He is truly unique for a Spaniard :)

Dilettante
02-28-2009, 06:29 PM
He is actually not a bandwagoner of Nadal at all. Actually likes Gasquet, Ferrer and Ferrero. He is truly unique for a Spaniard :)

I like Ferrero's game more than Nadal's too. Back i the day JFC was a thing of beauty.

I'm of course talking about aesthetics, I know Nadal is far better player overall.

saram
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I like Ferrero's game more than Nadal's too. Back i the day JFC was a thing of beauty.

I'm of course talking about aesthetics, I know Nadal is far better player overall.

I totally agree.

Nadal_Freak
02-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Yet aesthetics is what got me to be a fan of Nadal. The personality and beating Fed were bonuses.

saram
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Yet aesthetics is what got me to be a fan of Nadal. The personality and beating Fed were bonuses.

You totally missed what he meant. Trolling again? Sorry, fish aren't biting tonight, buddy.

Nadal_Freak
02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
You totally missed what he meant. Trolling again? Sorry, fish aren't biting tonight, buddy.
Uh he was talking about Ferrero being more pleasing aesthetically speaking. I totally disagreed. I got bored watching Ferrero matches even though I think he is a good guy. No trolling at all.

10sfreak
02-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Aren't there also a lot of non-English speakers who add, "yes?" at the end of their sentences?

foLster
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
It's kind of like how Canadian's say "Eh?"

SourStraws
02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
To the OP.... Im glad you cleared that up.... My Spanish teacher says the no thing a lot so I was also wondering what he was talking about.... Even so, I dont think Rafa is dumb.... But it is just something fun to poke at I suppose

S.S.

crazylevity
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
It'd be funny if someone else, maybe even Federer, starts doing this in the press conferences:

"I played well today, yes? I hit more winners than unforced errors, yes? I served a good percentage of first serves, yes?"

JoshDragon
02-28-2009, 08:53 PM

Good post, although I disagree with you about Murray being dumb.

RCizzle65
02-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't think anyone here thinks Nadal is dumb, but the same can't be said for some of his fans on here...

saram
02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't think anyone here thinks Nadal is dumb, but the same can't be said for some of his fans on here...

haha!!!!!!!!!

tahiti
03-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Rafa is the new age role model so don't pick on his fans if they are somewhat younger and less objective :)

Thank goodness Rafa has the habits he does. If he didn't he'd have EVEN MORE fans and Fed wouldn't have any!

zagor
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Isn't that a Spanish thing? They say "no"? at the end of the sentence,it's quite common for them.

Rafa is the new age role model so don't pick on his fans if they are somewhat younger and less objective :)

Thank goodness Rafa has the habits he does. If he didn't he'd have EVEN MORE fans and Fed wouldn't have any!

Lol,of course he wouldn't,I mean having such an ugly game and so little success(winning "only" 13 slams) :).

Joking aside,I do think Nadal is one of those players that attract a wide audience outside tennis circles which is good for the game IMO.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
03-01-2009, 01:09 AM

Why are you so angry...

blue12
03-01-2009, 01:14 AM
It's kind of like how Canadian's say "Eh?"

Yeah it's exactly like that! That's what I was going to say.

Spain rules by the way! Spanish people are awesome.

Cyan
03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Because his mother tongue is Spanish.

Dilettante
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Why are you so angry...

I was thinking the same. I say "no?" all the time but I know it sounds funny when someone speaks English, even myself. Its inevitable to make a little fun of it. Nothing wrong with it IMO.

But, I have to say that Nadal seems a little dumber in English (by the way I seem a total idiot when I try to speak English myself, way worst than Nadal), but when he speaks Spanish seems a very, very smart guy who knows what to say and what not to say in every moment. He's more witty than non-Spanish people may think.

He's a very intelligent guy, when you hear him in his mother tongue you realize that. He seems to be smarter than some other Spanish players who speak better English than him.

vive le beau jeu !
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
What bothers me is when people begin to assume that he isn't intelligent or articulate just because he doesn't speak english well.
nah, you can sleep relaxed, it's not because of that. ;)

Dilettante
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
nah, you can sleep relaxed, it's not because of that. ;)

Stop trolling, mate.

Nadal is quite intelligent no matter his foreign language affairs.

Gorecki
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM

im one of those who jokes at that and i most definitely dont think he his "dumb".. in fact i believe he is very inteligent... so i dont see your point!

btw: i speak 4 languages more or less fluently (able to perform conversations)... being one of them Spanish!

what about now?

Dilettante
03-01-2009, 03:31 PM
im one of those who jokes at that and i most definitely dont think he his "dumb".. in fact i believe he is very inteligent... so i dont see your point!

btw: i speak 4 languages more or less fluently (able to perform conversations)... being one of them Spanish!

what about now?

Well said. I joke at that, too.

Forehand Forever
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Is Andy Murray dumb? I mean he trained in Spain for a while and couldn't even say a few words when he won the masters in madrid.

Exactly, he trained in Spain for TENNIS. He wasn't out there to learn the language.

Many other pros did the same thing he did as well.

Gen
03-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Exactly, he trained in Spain for TENNIS. He wasn't out there to learn the language.

Many other pros did the same thing he did as well.

When you are living in some country for a number of years, you are supposed to learn its language automatically, even if the country is called China. Of course some grey cells are a must. But Murray ... Spanish ... even his English is worse than Nadal's. :mrgreen:

aldeayeah
03-02-2009, 03:19 AM
In my opinion, Nadal doesn't sound particularly intelligent in Spanish either (I'm from Spain). He sounds like he has a good measure of common sense though.

The "no?" is a bit of idiosyncratic speech that many Spaniards have when we talk to an audience. There are some really horrible offenders like Raul Gonzalez, the Real Madrid player. Nadal is but an apprentice.

tahiti
03-02-2009, 07:59 AM
In my opinion, Nadal doesn't sound particularly intelligent in Spanish either (I'm from Spain). He sounds like he has a good measure of common sense though.

The "no?" is a bit of idiosyncratic speech that many Spaniards have when we talk to an audience. There are some really horrible offenders like Raul Gonzalez, the Real Madrid player. Nadal is but an apprentice.

How can one sound intelligent when one is repeatedly and constantly, continuously and always asked the same questions about how you feel about the tournament and what was right and wrong with your game. Pretty tough no?

jms007
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM
When you are living in some country for a number of years, you are supposed to learn its language automatically, even if the country is called China. Of course some grey cells are a must. But Murray ... Spanish ... even his English is worse than Nadal's. :mrgreen:

Yah. Safin learned some Spanish.

AndrewD
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Can't say I've noticed it with the English but I've certainly noticed it amongst quite a lot of American when they write but, funnily enough, not so much when they're speaking. I always thought it was more of an affectation - more a rhetorical question than a genuine query.

ESP#1
03-12-2009, 02:49 PM

And for the OP, I'm no native speaker of Spanish, or am I fluent by any means. I do live in Mexico, and have been for a while (8 months) and I speak it pretty damn well, as my friends tell me. I even have a Castillan lisp when I speak!

my bad, literal translation for "no crees" is "dont you believe" but its like "don't you think" thats what i meant

sorry for not catching this earlier i forgot i made this thread

ESP#1
03-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for getting my back when i was M.I.A. from this thread. I just spotted Nick C's original post and laughed. Its funny how i get called a nadal hater and a nadal bandwagoner from day to day. :)

The truth is i try to stay objective at all times. I admire all players who play better than I do and I analyze their games to try and improve mine.

kkm
03-12-2009, 03:47 PM
"No" at the end of sentences is common among people who speak English, at least among those who don't speak "American" English. Engrish(as spoken by non-native speakers, who may not be all that well-versed in the language) can have a certain charm. After all, often it's not that difficult to ultimately understand what they mean to convey. On the other hand, Americans' such gaffes when speaking local languages elsewhere don't seem to be perceived quite as charitably.

Dilettante
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Yah. Safin learned some Spanish.

Indeed. Safin speaks perfect Spanish with an almost perfect Spain's accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-eeQNaYJdg

ESP#1
03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Indeed. Safin speaks perfect Spanish with an almost perfect Spain's accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-eeQNaYJdg

Lo escuchas y te crees que se crio en madrid, lo habla de #uta madre

Cyan
03-12-2009, 06:27 PM
How can one sound intelligent when one is repeatedly and constantly, continuously and always asked the same questions about how you feel about the tournament and what was right and wrong with your game. Pretty tough no?

Yup.........

CanadianChic
03-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I speak conversational Spanish. IOW, I am not fluent and I know my sentences are broken. Everyone I have conversed with has been very patient and understanding yet I still find myself saying "si" at the end to make sure they understand me correctly.

Nadal_Freak
03-12-2009, 07:20 PM
It's better then saying "You know" all the time. How lame is that?

ESP#1
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM

what about now?

If you're just joking this really doesn't apply to you, some people say it in good fun and thats ok, some say it with malice and its different.

btw: I really don't appreciate your tone, my guess would be that you're portugues, so you picked up spanish and italian rather easily, don't try to come off like some sort of linguist,

Dilettante
03-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I still find myself saying "si" at the end to make sure they understand me correctly.

But that's kind of cute, really.

Gorecki
03-13-2009, 09:50 AM
If you're just joking this really doesn't apply to you, some people say it in good fun and thats ok, some say it with malice and its different.

btw: I really don't appreciate your tone, my guess would be that you're portugues, so you picked up spanish and italian rather easily, don't try to come off like some sort of linguist,

not really. English, French, Spanish and German... and more or less other latin languages...

ps: sorry if it came out arrogant...

kimbahpnam
03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
everybody does it, just in different forms.

"ya know? yea? ay? hey? no?...."

slice bh compliment
03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I know a guy from Manchester who says, "yeah?" after every statement.
A Canadian who ends sentences with the obiquitous, "eh?"
An Indian dude who's always saying either, "Yah" or "Yarr" at the end of sentences.
An Aussie who overuses, "mate" believe it or not.
In the early 90s while playing in Spain, I remember making fun of white American kids who liked rap and BEGAN each sentence with, "yo" back when that was a thing. Can you imagine how that comes off en espanol? "I... before everything"?
In ebonics, we like to end sentences with a friendly, "You know what I'm sayin'?", or sometimes, depending on the context, "...yeah, and kill Whitey."
What about the Germans who always confuse the letter P with the letter B.
And countless dang furr'ners who mix up Vs and Ws?
And Ss and Zs?

Crressy vorld ve liwe in, mate.

Sentinel
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
They all do, yaar ;-)

"Yaar" means "mate"/close friend.

Some dang languages don't have V and W (just one of em), so it gets mixed up. They often have other sounds that dang americans mispronounce, or just ignore.

I know a guy from Manchester who says, "yeah?" after every statement.
A Canadian who ends sentences with the obiquitous, "eh?"
An Indian dude who's always saying either, "Yah" or "Yarr" at the end of sentences.
An Aussie who overuses, "mate" believe it or not.
In the early 90s while playing in Spain, I remember making fun of white American kids who liked rap and BEGAN each sentence with, "yo" back when that was a thing. Can you imagine how that comes off en espanol? "I... before everything"?
In ebonics, we like to end sentences with a friendly, "You know what I'm sayin'?", or sometimes, depending on the context, "...yeah, and kill Whitey."
What about the Germans who always confuse the letter P with the letter B.
And countless dang furr'ners who mix up Vs and Ws?
And Ss and Zs?

Crressy vorld ve liwe in, mate.

bluetrain4
03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
I think it's common in a lot of languages, as other have pointed out -- something at the end of the sentence to basically ask the listener, "do you understand", "are you following," "you agree don't you?"

In English there's more tha one way to accomplish this. Some say "right?". Others say "you know?" Just a few examples.

Of course, not everyone does adds such phrases to the end of sentence, but many do.