PDA

View Full Version : For free or not for free, that is the question .

Tombhoneb
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
You string a racket for a guy with poly and after 3 weeks he shanks the ball and the 6th main breaks.

Would you string it for the cost of the strings only or include labor ?

(plus he told another customer that i strung his racket with strings that shouldn't break ... which broke in 3 weeks.. leading to the customer questioning my stringing ability.. :-x )

Cheers.

BestLefty UK
02-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Only one answer to this... Free because you have to remember "the customer is always right", he can influence your other customers. I understand it's probably not your fault but for the sake of business, just do whatever will make him happy.

zidane339
02-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Frankly, I wouldn't do it for free. Just tell him the scientific facts, that strings break when you shank, and esp after 3 weeks. If you give it to him for free, he's just going to keep on doing it.

YULitle
02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
I hated this situation. We replaced them for free, after explaining how they are wrong, most likely, and that we wouldn't do it again.

If I owned the shop, I would not have replaced it.

jim e
02-28-2009, 10:05 AM
You string a racket for a guy with poly and after 3 weeks he shanks the ball and the 6th main breaks.

(plus he told another customer that i strung his racket with strings that shouldn't break ... which broke in 3 weeks.. leading to the customer questioning my stringing ability.. :-x )

Cheers.

Why would he tell someone that you strung a racquet with strings that shouldn't break?I do hope you did not tell him that. All strings will break. 3 weeks for some players is not bad.You could let him know nicely that all strings do break for various reasons, and you will re string for string price this one time only, as a favor to him,(especially if it is a good customer), otherwise he will be coming back every 2-3 weeks for a free job, especially if he shanks a shot, abuses the racquet, or for whatever reason. I remember , a long time ago, where a customer brought back a racquet I strung just a couple days before, with a string broke, I re-strung for free, strings and labor, then found out from someone else later that he picked up a stone and hit the stringbed, and that popped the string.BTW that was an all gut job!And some people wonder why labor is more with gut!
Things like this happen, and you have to keep this in mind when you set your fees, so you will be covered when incidences like this happen.

BTW, this guy can't be a good customer if he already complained to another one of your customers! Keep that in mind before you give away anything!

william7gr
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I would string it this time for free but tell him that this happens every so often and that next time tell him I will have to charge him.

jmverdugo
02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I wouldnt string it for free. If anything I would charge at least the strings.

Tombhoneb
02-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Why would he tell someone that you strung a racquet with strings that shouldn't break?I do hope you did not tell him that. All strings will break.

He is a good player but has only just started caring about equipment. He has basic string knowledge and has heard from people that poly doesn't break. Im guessing they cant break poly themselves so think it is alright for it to be in there for years ha.. I told him when he asked me to string it that poly would be 'harder to break', and as he is going through synthetic quite quickly, it would probably be a good change.

jrod
02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd do it for free, only to maintain good customer relations. He can influence your business prospects by bad-mouthing your service. In addition, it would be good to try and educate him and earn his trust. If he learns to respect your knowledge and service, he will spread the word. If he is self-serving and only cares about taking advatange of others, you can politely turn his business down in the future.

Tombhoneb
02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I hated this situation. We replaced them for free, after explaining how they are wrong, most likely, and that we wouldn't do it again.

If I owned the shop, I would not have replaced it.

I would string it this time for free but tell him that this happens every so often and that next time tell him I will have to charge him.

Free is a bit too far for me! :twisted: . I think i am going to do the cost of string. I see him on the court shanking every single approach shot, maybe ill ask if he wants lessons! (then he will get discounted stringing anyways)

jrod
02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Free is a bit too far for me! :twisted: . I think i am going to do the cost of string. I see him on the court shanking every single approach shot, maybe ill ask if he wants lessons! (then he will get discounted stringing anyways)

Sorry, I should have clarified. I agree with you. He can supply the string, you provide the labor for free. He can take up his argument on replacing the broken string for free with the string manufacturer...maybe if he tries that he will respect you're decision to provide the labor for free.

Raiha
02-28-2009, 11:13 AM
stringing is a tough business when you have to deal with string breakers. as a pro shop owner or manager you have to appease those kind of repeat customers and work out some kind of deal or else they're just gonna go out and get their own stringer. it sucks to have to give stuff away, but people just won't pay $35 for lux every other week.

jazar
02-28-2009, 11:59 AM
i would just explain why it happened. i wouldnt string it again for free. people need to understand that strings can break at any time

samster
02-28-2009, 03:00 PM
strings can break at anytime. especially 3 weeks out...I would not replace it for free.

armsty
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
If it was a shank it won't be your fault, charge him same as you did before...

dancraig
02-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Ronny
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I only do them if they are within a week.

saram
02-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Three weeks? NEVER.

uk_skippy
03-01-2009, 12:55 AM
I would not replace for free. I would tell him why it broke, and if you've seen him shank the ball a lot, I'd throw that in as well (in a nice way).

Depending on how I felt, I may reduce the cost, but not that I'd be stringing for free.

As long as you're sympathetic to their situation they should come across ok.

Regards

Paul

hoodjem
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Three weeks later, it ain't your problem or your responsibility.

antgun007
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Since you told the guy it wouldnt break you must do it for free and only do it just this once. after this charge the guy. People should know ALL string can break

winks
03-02-2009, 03:35 AM

Cheers.

Just curious, what string was it? You mentioned shanking the ball which suggest it was not wear that cause the break. I've heard a lot about certain brands that are prone to this....

FWIW - he does not deserve any kind of free restring. 3 weeks could be a lot of tennis!

Raiha
03-02-2009, 04:11 AM
also, what type of racquet is he using?

Tombhoneb
03-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Since you told the guy it wouldnt break you must do it for free and only do it just this once. after this charge the guy. People should know ALL string can break

As posted previously, i did not tell him the strings (poly) 'wouldn't break' , i said that they would be harder to break compared to synthetic.

also, what type of racquet is he using?

Just curious, what string was it? You mentioned shanking the ball which suggest it was not wear that cause the break. I've heard a lot about certain brands that are prone to this....

FWIW - he does not deserve any kind of free restring. 3 weeks could be a lot of tennis!

He uses a Fischer M Comp 95 with Prince Tournament Poly 16 (52lbs)

Nellie
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
If the guy is a jerk, you really don't want that customer because the demands will never end. Me - I would do if for free with some of the cheapest poly 15G I had just to not deal with the problem.

Djokovicfan4life
03-02-2009, 02:09 PM
www.notalwaysright.com

Sure, he might tell a few people about it, but just who's gonna listen, anyway?

diredesire
03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
As posted previously, i did not tell him the strings (poly) 'wouldn't break' , i said that they would be harder to break compared to synthetic.

He uses a Fischer M Comp 95 with Prince Tournament Poly 16 (52lbs)

The fischers mains/crosses intersection is really low on the frame. It's completely likely that the string sheared. I used to play the fischer frames...

I wouldn't have refunded/strung a new free after 3 weeks. A week out is already pushing it. I personally would have explained the situation, offered a slight discount, at most throwing in labor if it was a really angry, but good customer. If anything, you should explain the possibility of shearing up front.