PDA

View Full Version : Big Banger Ace

2ndserveace
02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Can anyone comment on this string? I'm thinking about using it in the crosses with either blue gear or alu rough mains. I'm a little worried about durability.

zidane339
02-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Its not as durable as other polys, obviously since it is 18g. But, it packs a lot of power and comfort, and has the best feel for a poly for me.

2ndserveace
02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Would it saw through the mains in a poly hybrid?

hoodjem
02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I still have some BBA 1.12 in one of my racquets in the mains, although it is wayyyyyy dead.

Like all Lux it plays great for 10-12 hours, then it is quickly downhill. "If I was a rich man," I might put it in all my racquets: I really liked the crispness, pop, and feel, plus the nice spin from thin gauge 1.12 diameter.

It is one of the best polys around IMO, but I would not buy it for a durable cross, unless you're crossing it with gut.

sk8ing
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
probably the best poly for a cross
its also my fav!
love it!!! :D

hoodjem
03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Would the "feel" last longer using it as a cross?

2ndserveace
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
probably the best poly for a cross
its also my fav!
love it!!! :D
How long does it last for you?

2ndserveace
03-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Would the "feel" last longer using it as a cross?
I just noticed you use WC SS as well. How does BBA compare to SS?

Djokovicfan4life
03-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I love it. Am currently using it in the crosses at 45 lbs. with gut mains at 50 lbs. and it hasn't broken yet. Will probably restring before it breaks. Sure, I don't hit THAT hard, but I certainly don't baby it either.

Matt

hoodjem
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
So far, BBA has an extra "snap" or crispness over WC Silverstring 1.20. But I have had the SS in for only two days. Plus, I am using the Weisscannon in a hybrid with a fairly soft multi (X-1), so maybe the comparison is not fair.

Feel and touch with the SS seems at least equal to the BBA. Maybe a bit more spin with 1.12 versus 1.20.

2ndserveace
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
So far, BBA has an extra "snap" or crispness over WC Silverstring 1.20. But I have had the SS in for only two days. Plus, I am using the Weisscannon in a hybrid with a fairly soft multi (X-1), so maybe the comparison is not fair.

Feel and touch with the SS seems at least equal to the BBA. Maybe a bit more spin with 1.12 versus 1.20.
How does SS compare to BBA in terms of power and control? I would use one of them as a cross in a poly hybrid, with MSV Focus Hex in the mains, so I guess I should ask which one you would recommend.

hoodjem
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
That's a tough one because I might give the edge to the BBA in terms of control, but the edge to SS in terms of power.

I think the SS might be more durable, and keep its feel longer.

What gauge MSV Hex?

2ndserveace
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
That's a tough one because I might give the edge to the BBA in terms of control, but the edge to SS in terms of power.

I think the SS might be more durable, and keep its feel longer.

What gauge MSV Hex?
1.23. Would you say that SS is low-powered though?

hoodjem
03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe not low-powered, maybe medium-powered. Some polys tend to be ultra-dead, like SPPP. I think WC SS is just about right, i.e. a little more power than some polys, but not too much to control.

BTW I'm using MSV Hex 1.10 in one racquet crossed with Gosen OG Micro 1.22, and man is it sweet feeling. Plenty durable so far: no notching or wear that I can see.

daveyboy
03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Love love love love Big Banger Ace. I've got it in my Progressors, and I have yet to find a better playing setup for a racket. Wonderful stuff. Good feel, nice pop, grabs the ball like its got teeth. Can really work the angles with it.

2ndserveace
03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe not low-powered, maybe medium-powered. Some polys tend to be ultra-dead, like SPPP. I think WC SS is just about right, i.e. a little more power than some polys, but not too much to control.

BTW I'm using MSV Hex 1.10 in one racquet crossed with Gosen OG Micro 1.22, and man is it sweet feeling. Plenty durable so far: no notching or wear that I can see.
Thanks for your responses.

2ndserveace
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Love love love love Big Banger Ace. I've got it in my Progressors, and I have yet to find a better playing setup for a racket. Wonderful stuff. Good feel, nice pop, grabs the ball like its got teeth. Can really work the angles with it.
How long does BBA last you?

hoodjem
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I am wondering what's a good multi or synth to use as a cross with Lux BBA 1.12? (I always hybrid.)

I want something to match the feel and durability of the Lux. (Would PS Titan be a good choice?)

klementine79
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM
The down side to playing with any poly is when it goes 'dead'.

I have it strung at 60lbs. and after two days it has dropped to 45lbs.

Is this loss in tension the reason why it feels 'dead'?

I'm kind of apprehensive to go above 60lbs., even though it is a very comfortable poly.

Will stringing it at, lets say, 65lbs., result in a longer lasting feel? or is it a good idea just to cut it out?

aimr75
07-15-2009, 06:26 PM

I can understand if you said it feels like its dropped some tension, but a drop of 15lbs?

How can you even determine this, or are you just guessing?

dincuss
07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Feels good, but doesnt have enough control for me

Kevo
07-15-2009, 08:07 PM
The down side to playing with any poly is when it goes 'dead'.

Is this loss in tension the reason why it feels 'dead'?

I'm kind of apprehensive to go above 60lbs., even though it is a very comfortable poly.

Will stringing it at, lets say, 65lbs., result in a longer lasting feel? or is it a good idea just to cut it out?

With full BBA, I can play it right up until it breaks before it starts to act funny. It never seems to go dead, but it only lasts about 10-12 hours. I've never strung it over 58lbs. as well.

I think if you string it too high, you will just make it die faster since it's so thin.

I have used BBA in a hybrid with Rip Control, and that was great also, but the RIP control only lasted about 8 hours. So for me, I say use it in a full job and string it low enough that it's comfortable. It has excellent control and the spin is as good if not better than any string I've played. It's a shame they don't sell it cheaper, I'd use it exclusively I imagine.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 06:36 AM
With full BBA, I can play it right up until it breaks before it starts to act funny. It never seems to go dead, but it only lasts about 10-12 hours. I've never strung it over 58lbs. as well.

I think if you string it too high, you will just make it die faster since it's so thin.

I have used BBA in a hybrid with Rip Control, and that was great also, but the RIP control only lasted about 8 hours. So for me, I say use it in a full job and string it low enough that it's comfortable. It has excellent control and the spin is as good if not better than any string I've played. It's a shame they don't sell it cheaper, I'd use it exclusively I imagine.

Thanks for the input. Will try it at 58lbs. or below and see how it goes... since it is so thin, I would imagine it is extremely tension sensitive and probably has a threshold that cannot be surpassed.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Also, a side note, I know it comes in green and pearl, but I've seen it advertised also in gold--- can anyone confirm that this is just pearl, or is there an actual gold string color of BBA.

counterpuncher
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I've only seen the green and the pearl. I have seen some sites refer to the green version as gold, so I assume it's the same. Go with the green version, as there is a noticeable difference to the way it plays compared to the pearl version.