PDA

View Full Version : does Fish have worst forehand in top 50

bjk
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
It really is a piece of work. It's got pace, but no control, and he has no confidence in it. Eastern grip, maybe that explains the total lack of consistency and control. It's funny it's so bad, because his father is a tennis coach, and the rest of his game is fundamentally solid.

Are there any other players in the top 50 with a worse forehand? By the way, who else in the top 50 uses an eastern forehand?

Frankauc
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
i think tsonga's backhand would be as bad as fish's forehand though.

oneguy21
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
His forehand is unreliable I agree. His forehand is quite similar to Gasquet's.

Eastern forehand, little racquet head speed, shanky.

oneguy21
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM
i think tsonga's backhand would be as bad as fish's backhand.

Fish's backhand is his best groundstroke. What are you talking about? It's simple, smooth and penetrating.

bjk
03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
There are plenty of bad backhands, which is no surprise, because it's a more unnatural shot.

Gasquet's forehand is weak, I agree, but not as bad as Fish. It doesn't break down as often. By the way, Korolev kept hitting to the Fish backhand . . . guy had no clue. Everybody in that stadium but him knew that Fish can't hit a forehand.

RoddickAce
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
How bout Karlovic...

oneguy21
03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
How bout Karlovic...

Karlovic has a terrible ground game for a top 50 player. His forehand is so so. He can pull the trigger on that wing. His backhand is just a slice. When he attempts a topspin, he usually misses.

coloskier
03-02-2009, 05:33 AM
As has been mentioned, the Gasquet forehand comes to mind as a stroke that can totally fall apart at a moments notice.

baseliner
03-02-2009, 05:38 AM
I would saY he may have the worst forehand of anyone with 3 career ATP titles.

Frankauc
03-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Fish's backhand is his best groundstroke. What are you talking about? It's simple, smooth and penetrating.

i meant forehand, i edit it, sry

supermario343
03-02-2009, 06:16 AM
I was watching his match yest. against Korolev and his forehand seemed so slow...very low racquet head speed...and not penatrating at all. Seemed like a pusher to me and just wanted to ease the ball back into play while Korolev was trying to rip the ball. I wish Korolev would have won the match because he showed more effort and i hate pushers like that. They just want to get the ball back in the middle of the court and wait for you to make the error : /

dandaman
03-02-2009, 08:08 AM
There are plenty of bad backhands, which is no surprise, because it's a more unnatural shot.

Gasquet's forehand is weak, I agree, but not as bad as Fish. It doesn't break down as often. By the way, Korolev kept hitting to the Fish backhand . . . guy had no clue. Everybody in that stadium but him knew that Fish can't hit a forehand.

Actually, nearly every tennis coach i know would say that the backhand is a more natural shot. It's a lot easier to turn your shoulder

vbranis
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
By the way, who else in the top 50 uses an eastern forehand?

I think Stepanek uses an Eastern grip.

tacou
03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
tsonga's backhand aint thaat bad at all

morten
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Fish`s physique is bad!

Beasty54
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I think Stepanek uses an Eastern grip.

Wrong, its continental(sp?) im pretty sure.

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I mean, they should all probably quit tennis, what with their glaring flaws and horrible "skills"

devila
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Fish and Karlovic were weak and gone mentally and physically, except for when they humiliated Federer last year. Talk about tough and totally clever all throughout the Federer matches.

Tempest344
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Actually, nearly every tennis coach i know would say that the backhand is a more natural shot. It's a lot easier to turn your shoulder

correct...you are swinging from the unfamiliar to the familiar side
unlike a forehand which starts in the familiar and ends on the unfamiliar side

SirBlend12
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I mean, they should all probably quit tennis, what with their glaring flaws and horrible "skills"

(applause)

Thank you, voice of reason.

moonbat
03-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Fish and Karlovic were weak and gone mentally and physically, except for when they humiliated Federer last year. Talk about tough and totally clever all throughout the Federer matches.

Yep, Fish was smoking on both sides at Indian Wells...

bjk
03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
"Actually, nearly every tennis coach i know would say that the backhand is a more natural shot. It's a lot easier to turn your shoulder"

Counterintuitive but wrong.

dandaman
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
"Actually, nearly every tennis coach i know would say that the backhand is a more natural shot. It's a lot easier to turn your shoulder"

Counterintuitive but wrong.

Mhm, not exactly sure what your saying.
My english might not be good enough, but how can something be Counterintuitive and wrong?

And no it's not wrong. On a higher level it's a lot easier to perfect your backhand than your forehand. A backhand with a good amount of pace is also less tiring on your body