PDA

View Full Version : Which mono shaft wood racquets were available in 90sq head size (or close)

AndrewD
03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm not talking about wood-graphite frames like the V-24, Edgewood, etc or oversize frames like the Prince Woodie. What I'm referring to are those mono-shaft wooden racquets which had a head size around the 90sq range. Guess they would have been produced at near the end of the wood-era.

That being the case:

Can anyone name the models which were produced and does anyone have one (or more) ? Was there a Kramer in that head size (have a vague feeling there was).

Thanks.

plasma
03-02-2009, 01:32 AM
yes a Kramer and a Borg, don't know the exact headsize but they were mids...kinda silly looking but supposed to be actually endorsed by Kramer, although don't know if he played them. True story: Kramer was in a board meeting excited and amazed at the Wood mid while Wilson designers and marketing execs cringed...(they were right, no one wanted heavy quality anymore, by then...)

Rorsach
03-02-2009, 01:40 AM
The Borg is less than 85 i think.

plasma
03-02-2009, 02:01 AM
almost a macro string pattern, eh?

AndrewD
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Then I guess the Kramer would be the one I'd prefer.

Will have to look through my old tennis magazines to see if I can find a picture.

plasma
03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
it looked like a Kramer on Balco...

Mick
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
the donnay borg pro mid is the smallest, it is smaller than 85 sq-in. the wilson jack kramer mid is about 85 sq-in and the dunlop maxply mcenroe mid is the largest. it is close to 90 sq-in.

http://i39.tinypic.com/15q28nn.jpg

dunlop maxply mcenroe mid on top of a wilson k90 (six.one tour)

http://i41.tinypic.com/4jrnmd.jpg

plasma
03-03-2009, 01:40 AM
although any of these mids are clearly sueripor to the six one tour I can't imagine them having the same pro performance as the original standards. Connors withered and died with the ProStaff, his game was built on the t2000, same for arias with his donnay Borg Pro and Krickstein with his ultra standard, or Tanner and his PDP. Their strokes took a major hit with the change to a larger more modern frame. Less pace, less spin.

Mick
03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
although any of these mids are clearly sueripor to the six one tour I can't imagine them having the same pro performance as the original standards. Connors withered and died with the ProStaff, his game was built on the t2000, same for arias with his donnay Borg Pro and Krickstein with his ultra standard, or Tanner and his PDP. Their strokes took a major hit with the change to a larger more modern frame. Less pace, less spin.

i haven't played with the jack kramer standard and the maxply mcenroe mid but i have played with the borg pro standard and the borg pro mid. for me, the standard version is a better racquet. it just feels a lot more solid, maybe because the racquet throat is larger than the one for the mid size version and it also seems a bit heavier. years ago, i played my one of my best matches with the original maxply mcenroe. it broke as i was hitting a serve and afterward, i switched to the max 200g.

Mick
03-08-2009, 01:53 PM
i took the dunlop maxply mcenroe mid to the tennis courts today and played with it for about 3 hours. this has got to be one of the most user friendly wood racquets ever made. it definitely felt much better than the donnay pro mid and at least equal to the wilson jack kramer mid (i am not certain because i haven't played with the JC mid for a few months)