PDA

View Full Version : Who should be termed as "The darling of Tennis World"

tennispassion
03-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Hingis once was, Graf would probably always be.....who do you think should be called the "The darling of the tennis world"....?

tennispassion
03-02-2009, 04:30 AM
I think it would have to be Steffi Graf....! Its surprising how people are still drawn to her charisma and her ability to make people love her. Even at the time when that unfortunate incident happened with monica Seles in 1993, people did not show any hostility against Graf , and displayed amazing understanding in analysing Graf's situation too.

rubberduckies
03-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Serena Williams.

10 char.

rolandg
03-02-2009, 05:21 AM
I think it would have to be Steffi Graf....! Its surprising how people are still drawn to her charisma and her ability to make people love her. Even at the time when that unfortunate incident happened with monica Seles in 1993, people did not show any hostility against Graf , and displayed amazing understanding in analysing Graf's situation too.

Erm, Graf, like all champions, was only popular towards the end of her career. While she was playing she wasn't particuarly popular at all. There haven't really been any great champions that are extremely popular while they are playing. Popularity comes later on, when they aren't dominant anymore and usually when they have retired.

Gorecki
03-02-2009, 05:27 AM
the darling of tennis world?...

that would be Ana "The cutest thing in the world" Ivanovic...

ps: how about that N_F... i didnt attack you... for once? how cool am i? no?

baseliner
03-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Are you talking historically? That would be Chrissie Evert or Tracy Austin. Both came up as very young girls and were media darlings. Both won Grand Slam titles although Chrissie won far more. If you are talking currently, I defer to the wisdom of the rest of the board. I am partial to non shriekers which eliminates much of the current WTA.

tahiti
03-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Female: Ana Ivanovic, she's a real honey
Male: Gilles Simon , also so cute

Topaz
03-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Ummm, hello??? ME!!!!

Hey, stop laughing!

:)

My vote would be Chrissie Evert.

THUNDERVOLLEY
03-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Hingis once was...

A darling to certain commentators who enjoyed her slow motion "skills." Hingis was a total *******, and paid the price when she was beaten out (oops! I mean suffered physical "problems") of the game by people not willing to tolerate the BS surrounding her.

pound cat
03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Darling..as "such a cute little thing"

Crissie Everet. Even here name is darling.

In 2009...Ivanovic I guess..if only she'd stop that fist clenched to herself , head down..."she missed, she missed"

dataseviltwin
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Media darling: old school - Evert, Austin Newer - would have to go with Ivanovic, although Jankovic always does a great interview.
Look at zat... darling: old school - remember Andrea Temesevari? Newer: Kournikova Newest: Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Maria Kirlinko, Agnes Szvay...

Spin Doctor
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't remember Graf or Hingis being particularly well loved. I think Graf was highly respected but a "darling"?....no. Hingis was too cocky to be well loved.

I think Chris Evert qualifies. Despite her many failings, people always had a soft spot for Jennifer Capriati. I think many also liked Gabriela Sabatini but she was never a great champion. I think Seles was very charismatic and interesting to watch, not sure if that qualifies as "darling".

Modern times...nobody, for women at least. They all kinda suck in their own particular way. Ivanovic is too effing annoying on-court to be anyone's darling and she seems like a simpleton to me.

For men I think Nadal has everyone awed. And of course, the late Arthur Ashe can do no wrong.

Fee
03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I think I would have to go with Chris Evert as well. She held that 'darling' title even after she had kids and got divroced and everything. Tracy Austin had it for a while, then she upset a few people with her commentary I guess and kind of lost her lustre.

I think Gabriela Sabatini is also a tennis darling of sorts. Very atrractive and she always came across as so well mannered and decent to everyone, I think lots of people appreciated that about her (off court, I mean).

veroniquem
03-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Definitely Stepanek!

beneszilo
03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Definitely Stepanek!

I agree, Stepanek! :D

ksbh
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
In the current field: Jelena Dokic

Of all time: Magdalena Maleeva