PDA

View Full Version : How do you string a warped woodie?

meowmix
03-02-2009, 05:04 AM
I have a JK Autograph sitting in my basement that I hit with every now and then. The strings are still decent (they're natural gut from... 30 years ago?), but I'd like to see if it's possible to restring. The problem is, the racket is quite warped (about 15 degrees). Is it possible to restring this racket, or is it just better to leave the strings in and play until they break?

joe sch
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a JK Autograph sitting in my basement that I hit with every now and then. The strings are still decent (they're natural gut from... 30 years ago?), but I'd like to see if it's possible to restring. The problem is, the racket is quite warped (about 15 degrees). Is it possible to restring this racket, or is it just better to leave the strings in and play until they break?

Not worth restringing most modern wood rackets. You can find good condition used JKA's in many thrift shops and on 36ay for under $10.

The old gut, if not dried out, is as good or better than any string you can replace it with. Enjoy playing that old classic if the warp does not bother you too much. Also, the warp will probably get worse when you cut out the strings because of the changing tensions.

plasma
03-03-2009, 12:32 AM
excellent point. Thrift stores in major metropolitain areas are not allowed to open their doors legally, without at least 80 Jack Kramer Autographs, 60 TAD Davis Professionals, a singer sewing machine, and some items that give off a foul musty stench.

origmarm
03-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Can you guys get hold of presses over there? My woodies (few) are all in square head presses to prevent this. My feeling is that if you were to put yours in a press you could slowly dewarp it over time. Mind you the other guys are right, for the money get another one, the press is probably more :)

khw72004
03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Do you think it actually dewarps, I tried for a few months and when I checked back it was the same as before. It was like no change happened

dataseviltwin
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Wetting the wood helps when you're trying to de-warp. A real pain to do, and one must be patient. 30-yr-old gut would likely be toast though...

origmarm
03-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah it would probably help to wet it but then you would lose the gut for sure. In this case I would say get a new one. For something more rare....

The short answer is I haven't tried it but my gut feel is that it would help over a longish period of time

joe sch
03-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Can you guys get hold of presses over there? My woodies (few) are all in square head presses to prevent this. My feeling is that if you were to put yours in a press you could slowly dewarp it over time. Mind you the other guys are right, for the money get another one, the press is probably more :)

I have lots of extra head presses I sell cheaply. The shipping expense is more then the press. I must admit, presses do Not prevent or fix warpage. Its extreme and humid temperature conditions that cause warping and the racket is pretty much useless after warping. The process to fix warping destroys a rackets and its almost easier to make a new wood racket.

origmarm
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I have lots of extra head presses I sell cheaply. The shipping expense is more then the press. I must admit, presses do Not prevent or fix warpage. Its extreme and humid temperature conditions that cause warping and the racket is pretty much useless after warping. The process to fix warping destroys a rackets and its almost easier to make a new wood racket.

They don't prevent warping? I thought that was the point of them...good to hear that someone is still out there with them though :)

jimbo333
03-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Joe, you are certainly the expert here:)

It's good to hear some common sense that presses cannot fix warpage, but like the above poster, I thought presses do prevent warping, at least while the racquet is in the press?

Please explain:)

joe sch
03-06-2009, 04:12 AM

It's good to hear some common sense that presses cannot fix warpage, but like the above poster, I thought presses do prevent warping, at least while the racquet is in the press?

I dont have any scientific evidence and one would sure think that if one racket was without a press and the other in a press in wet conditions and changing temperatures then the one in the press would warp less. My point is that both would warp and the press would probably also warp. Some presses maybe warped to start or apply uneven pressure and both of these condition would warp a straight racket. I just recommend using presses as decorations or like donuts on baseball bats to help warmup your shadow swings before a match. That was a practice that some players used back in the wood era. See below page for a little more info on stringing and care of wood rackets:

http://www.woodtennis.com/stringingwoodys.htm

joe sch
03-06-2009, 04:12 AM

I dont have any scientific evidence and one would surely think that if one racket was without a press and the other in a press in wet conditions and changing temperatures then the one in the press would warp less. My point is that both would warp and the press would probably also warp. Some presses maybe warped to start or apply uneven pressure and both of these condition would warp a straight racket. I just recommend using presses as decorations or like donuts on baseball bats to help warmup your shadow swings before a match. That was a practice that some players used back in the wood era. See below page for a little more info on stringing and care of wood rackets:

http://www.woodtennis.com/stringingwoodys.htm

jimbo333
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes, I can see you are obviously completely correct, I see what you mean:)

What about the metal cross presses like the "zephyr", would they work any better than the wood presses in your experience?

jayserinos99
03-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Joe, I just bought a Slazenger V-24 thats warped at the head. I'd like to restring it. It has TOA strings in it now; think I should try to restring it at something low like 35-40 lbs?

plasma
03-28-2009, 01:00 AM
wow, that warp, like a bent harmonica note, a potato chip...it's common knowledge (or so I thought) that presses don't fix warping. What scary contraptions. Why were they made to allow different tensions on 4 different pressure points???, seems easier to damage with a press than protect ones racquet. Joe, you're clearly one of the worlds leading experts on the scholarly history this sports' equipment, maybe you should post a sticky about how to care for wood and ground and inform this line of questioning...I like the wetting the warped racquet and using the press idea..

joe sch
03-28-2009, 10:10 AM
wow, that warp, like a bent harmonica note, a potato chip...it's common knowledge (or so I thought) that presses don't fix warping. What scary contraptions. Why were they made to allow different tensions on 4 different pressure points???, seems easier to damage with a press than protect ones racquet. Joe, you're clearly one of the worlds leading experts on the scholarly history this sports' equipment, maybe you should post a sticky about how to care for wood and ground and inform this line of questioning...I like the wetting the warped racquet and using the press idea..

Plasma, I did start such a page, just brief now, let me know if you have any more suggestions:

http://www.woodtennis.com/stringingwoodies.htm