PDA

View Full Version : Most charismatic female player in Open era

srinrajesh
03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
There are a lot of female players who would garner great attention because of their looks as well as style of play
Gabriela sabatini, Kournikova, Sharapova, "Darling" Carling Bassett, Martina Hingis,
one of the Williams sisters

mzzmuaa
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Sharapova
because she has no problem fighting back against the worst crowds in the world (france/israel).

srinrajesh
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
voted for kournikova just above sharapova and sabatini as she was the one crowds flocked to see

Dave M
03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Anyone got examples of charasmatic deeds by any of these?

boredone3456
03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I never considered Martina Hingis to be Charismatic...

jimwh
03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Todays most charismatic player would have to be Ana Ivanovic.

THUNDERVOLLEY
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Hantuchova? Quite amusing choice, as she has no charisma...unless one counts her bouts with eating disorders and hair-trigger on-court crying fits to be a marker of charisma.

The Serbians? Give me a break. Jankovic sort of blends into the walls and Ivanovic's fist pumping and goofy grin is not exactly charismatic.

Graf was fun to watch, but take away the specifics of her skills and she was as interesting as a 2 x 4 leaning against a wall.

Though not on the list, Navratilova was truly charismatic--especially when she turned the tables on Evert.

Of the Williams sisters, Serena wins there, as Venus was more "on a mission"on court...then again, her altered behavior was compelling to watch when facing people such as Davenport, Hingis and Mauresmo (3 with hang-ups about the sisters).

veroniquem
03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I never considered Martina Hingis to be Charismatic...
Not even in the least! I liked Seles the best. She had a lot of presence on court and was a very cheerful, humble type of person off the court.

ksbh
Manuela Maleeva

tahiti
To me Navratilova was about as charasmatic as a fish.

Hingis when she was all young and cute, but her imagine unfortunately has dimmed.

Right now I don't find any charisma on the WTA besides Ana Ivanovic a little, but her tennis is erratic. Tennis players need to take a charisma and charm course. It adds to the game.

ksbh
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
And she beat the cr*p out of Steffi Graf too!

Not even in the least! I liked Seles the best. She had a lot of presence on court and was a very cheerful, humble type of person off the court.

veroniquem
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
To me Navratilova was about as charasmatic as a fish.

Hingis when she was all young and cute, but her imagine unfortunately has dimmed.

Right now I don't find any charisma on the WTA besides Ana Ivanovic a little, but her tennis is erratic. Tennis players need to take a charisma and charm course. It adds to the game.
Caroline Wozniacki is IMO but she's not one of the top players yet.

veroniquem
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Those matches between Graf and Seles were extraordinary, the most dramatic I've ever seen! (at RG)

DMan
03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Why are the Williams sisters considered one entity? I mean they are two distinct players, with their own style and are very different in their emotions on the court, and how they handle themselves off the court.

Also, have to agree with Thundervolley about Hantuchova. I find her absolutely dreadful to watch. She may like to primp and preen off the court in her god awful sense of fashion. If that's what passes as "charisma" these days, why bother having a discussion?!

saram
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow--I think we need to define 'charisma' for some...

The word charisma (origin from the Greek word χάρισμα (kharisma), "gift" or "divine favor," from kharizesthai, "to favor," from kharis, "favor") refers to a rare trait found in certain human personalities usually including extreme charm and a 'magnetic' quality of personality and/or appearance along with innate and powerfully sophisticated personal communicability and persuasiveness.

srinrajesh
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Why are the Williams sisters considered one entity? I mean they are two distinct players, with their own style and are very different in their emotions on the court, and how they handle themselves off the court.

Also, have to agree with Thundervolley about Hantuchova. I find her absolutely dreadful to watch. She may like to primp and preen off the court in her god awful sense of fashion. If that's what passes as "charisma" these days, why bother having a discussion?!

well didnt have enuf options on poll to create as 2 entities for williamses

hantuchova has her own fan following based on her appearance more than her game as such

srinrajesh
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Hantuchova? Quite amusing choice, as she has no charisma...unless one counts her bouts with eating disorders and hair-trigger on-court crying fits to be a marker of charisma.

The Serbians? Give me a break. Jankovic sort of blends into the walls and Ivanovic's fist pumping and goofy grin is not exactly charismatic.

Graf was fun to watch, but take away the specifics of her skills and she was as interesting as a 2 x 4 leaning against a wall.

Though not on the list, Navratilova was truly charismatic--especially when she turned the tables on Evert.

Of the Williams sisters, Serena wins there, as Venus was more "on a mission"on court...then again, her altered behavior was compelling to watch when facing people such as Davenport, Hingis and Mauresmo (3 with hang-ups about the sisters).

Agree with fact navratilova changed the face of womens tennis but i didnt put her on the list becos of less no. of options. She is very humorous off court as well and has written a mystery novel too. She was simply the greatest womens player of all time

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
What about Justine Henin?

veroniquem
03-02-2009, 11:34 AM
What about Justine Henin?
She was a fantastic player but she actually lacked charisma. That was her biggest flaw for most.

tahiti
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, Justine just didn't have it. Great gal and player but not open, communicative or strongly appealing off court.

saram
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes, Justine just didn't have it. Great gal and player but not open, communicative or strongly appealing off court.

Exactly--I wish her personal life had been better--maybe she would have been more warm and open with the general tennis community.

Warriorroger
03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Gabriela and Steffi. Their good matches were like watching movies.

SoBad
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Hahaha what kind of a poll is this, Kournikova of course.

Dilettante
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Rofl

boredone3456
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
The only ones on the poll I would consider voting for would be Sabatini, Graf, and to a much lesser degree Kournikova.

Serena is not charismatic, her attitude is to gruff. Venus is very robotic on court, no charisma there. Hingis...her flippant mouth off court towards her opponents in her younger days is a far cry from charisma. Hantuchova...she is likeable, but charismatic, the word doesn't apply. Seles doesn't scream charisma either. The Serbs....well no.

I would have Navratilova up there, and possibly Evert, as they were more charismatic then many of those women.

TheTruth
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Serena and Jankovic.

pound cat
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone got examples of charasmatic deeds by any of these?

Charisma has nothing to do with deeds. It has to do with magnetism...animal or otherwise.

Kornokova..the woman they could'nt get enough of...so to speak.

pound cat
03-02-2009, 04:02 PM

What kind of movies???

saram
03-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Arantxa Sánchez Vicario had one of the best personalities and attitudes on court. Amazed no one mentions her or her smiling on court--always fun to watch.

pound cat
03-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Arantxa Sánchez Vicario had one of the best personalities and attitudes on court. Amazed no one mentions her or her smiling on court--always fun to watch.

If she was charismatic she would have been mentioned. Charismatic poeple are those who draw poeple to them just by being who they are. Obama fits the bill for many. Nice doesn't count.

saram
03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
If she was charismatic she would have been mentioned. Charismatic poeple are those who draw poeple to them just by being who they are. Obama fits the bill for many. Nice doesn't count.

Then why are the Williams sisters on the poll? Nothing charming about them--just sensational tennis players :twisted:

ronalditop
03-02-2009, 04:22 PM
what are the williams sisters doing int this poll?

Giggs The Red Devil
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Amelie Mauresmo

Emelia21
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Thankyou for the explanation :) I will think long and hard as to who I will vote for then :shock:

Leublu tennis
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Anyone got examples of charasmatic deeds by any of these?I have. My candidate for the most charming and simply beautiful woman:

Attended Bolletieri's academy at age 10.

Youngest player ever to win the Orange Bowl U-18, where some of the participants have included Evert, Connors, Agassi, Graf and Federer.

At 14, crowned the ITF Jr World Champion U-18 and Jr European Champion U-18.

She was only the 2d woman in the open era to reach semifinals of a tournament in her 1st WTA year (Evert was the first in 1972).

At 15, reached the 4th round of the USO where she lost to the eventual winner, Graf.

At 16, she reached the semi finals at Wimbledon, losing to the eventual winner, Hingis.

At 17, reached the top 20 ranking winning matches against Hingis, Graf, Davenport, and Seles.

At 18, she was ranked #12 in singles and #1 (!!) in doubles.

Finished the following year ranked #8 in singles and #4 in doubles.

Career two slam titles in doubles plus 14 other doubles titles. Career record of 200-71 in doubles and 209-129 in singles.

B.J. King? No. Anna Kournikova!

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
That's a shame. I love how she went out in style, though.

edit: (this was in response to an earlier post, btw)

mentalcase
03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Anna Kournikova.

Her matches were always televised and the stands packed.

SirBlend12
03-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Anna Chakvetadze.

Me, making tossing motion... with a wrench... towards the gears.

moonbat
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Billie Jean King.

crabgrass
03-03-2009, 01:24 AM

head to head 10-5 for steffi

pre stabbing 6-4 for steffi

so more often than not it was steffi beating the crap out of her

crabgrass
03-03-2009, 01:30 AM

The word charisma (origin from the Greek word χάρισμα (kharisma), "gift" or "divine favor," from kharizesthai, "to favor," from kharis, "favor") refers to a rare trait found in certain human personalities usually including extreme charm and a 'magnetic' quality of personality and/or appearance along with innate and powerfully sophisticated personal communicability and persuasiveness.

i honestly can't think of a single player this describes,
for those nominating kournikova, charismatic does not mean being tanned with a hot ***.

rolandg
03-03-2009, 02:13 AM

slam finals

Telepatic
03-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Why are both Ivanovic/Jankovic same option in poll?
They are 2 diffrent personalities??

I think Wozniacki/Ivanovic.

Cyan
03-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Graf...........................

Cyan
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
charismatic does not mean being tanned with a hot ***.

Exactly. The word would be shaggable!

CEvertFan
03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
No Evert in your list? She was women's tennis first superstar of the open era and had crowds flocking to see her play even as a teenager. Chris America, the girl next door, tennis darling extraordinaire - ring a bell anyone? Out of the ones you chose I would say Kournikova or Sharapova but that's only because they are both very pretty girls. Charisma has nothing to do with tennis talent and a player like Graf shouldn't even be on the list because even though she is widely considered for the best ever, she was notoriously shy and very private off the court and that's not charismatic. Sabatini & Seles had loads more charisma than Graf did.

ksbh
03-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I was going to answer but Rolandg captured it in 2 words ... slam finals!

It was 3-1, Seles-Graf prior to the incident and likely to be more skewed in Monica's favor before the brain-dead moron stabbed her.

Warriorroger
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
No Evert in your list? She was women's tennis first superstar of the open era and had crowds flocking to see her play even as a teenager. Chris America, the girl next door, tennis darling extraordinaire - ring a bell anyone? Out of the ones you chose I would say Kournikova or Sharapova but that's only because they are both very pretty girls. Charisma has nothing to do with tennis talent and a player like Graf shouldn't even be on the list because even though she is widely considered for the best ever, she was notoriously shy and very private off the court and that's not charismatic. Sabatini & Seles had loads more charisma than Graf did.

That's your opinion, at least Graf is sincere, st I couldn't say about Evert.

Lionheart392
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I really don't think Kournikova had that much charisma, she was just allegedly hot (something I never really got). I would say Jankovic because her personality for me is very magnetic.

Gorecki
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
who is Ivanovic-Jankovic...? never heard of her...

as for the Williams Brothers, shouldnt they be Left out of the mens poll?

whoopinstick
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Dinara Safina. She may not have the looks but she is so charasmatic in an interview

halalula1234
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM

oh yes remember her and those war cry grunts? :twisted: i just cant forget it

Leublu tennis
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Amelie Mauresmo
Mooresmo? Ghaaag!. Wrong thread. This is restricted to females.

Underhand
03-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Kleybanova.

CEvertFan
03-04-2009, 04:29 AM

Look up the definition of CHARISMA in the dictionary. Enough said.

Evert definitely had charisma, something that even Billie Jean King recognized which is why she really wanted Evert to join the fledgling WTA tour. Billie Jean knew a star when she saw one.

JohnS
03-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Ai Sugiyama... win or lose, she'll smile and be a good sport about it.

Leublu tennis
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
i honestly can't think of a single player this describes,
for those nominating kournikova, charismatic does not mean being tanned with a hot ***.You should have read my post (#35) hot sh**, before you displayed your total ignorance of the subject.

egn
03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
uhh Chris Evert or Billie Jean King.

boredone3456
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Ai Sugiyama... win or lose, she'll smile and be a good sport about it.

I'd agree with that. At least for the fans in Japan she has charisma...but internationally she is not exactly a well known name.

Giggs The Red Devil
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Mooresmo? Ghaaag!. Wrong thread. This is restricted to females.

http://www.enjoyfrance.com/images/stories/france/sport/Amelie-Mauresmo.jpg

I’ve seen worst. And forgive me if I have my doubts about the femininity of the 7 feet tall Sharapova.

Leublu tennis
03-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Sorry. Rene Richards and Navratilova looked better but gave me the same gagh feeling. Sharapova? Interesting thought.

Warriorroger
03-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Look up the definition of CHARISMA in the dictionary. Enough said.

Evert definitely had charisma, something that even Billie Jean King recognized which is why she really wanted Evert to join the fledgling WTA tour. Billie Jean knew a star when she saw one.

gj011
03-05-2009, 04:49 AM
Graf is neither charismatic not sincere.

Warriorroger
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Graf is neither charismatic not sincere.

But she would kick your a ss on any surface. Besides what's your point? I don't care if she's charismatic or not. And that's my sincere opinion. BTW that's st Evert is not!

Bye gj011

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm the oddball out it seems, and its certainly not based on looks (although I think she is handsome enough) but Martina Navratilova would be my pick. More the dry sense of humour, I realize, but her charisma kept or drew a number of people to her corner despite or maybe because of her revelations about her sexual orientation.

Anna K, Anna I, Sharapova, all are fine lookers in their way, but their personality and charisma just dont appeal to me, I guess because I like the more mature personality, not the young cutesy kinda stuff.

Graf is all time favourite overall, and definitely a sincere person. Was strong no-nonsense oncourt and a "real" girl otherwise. Sabatini....ah! Sabatini now! hm hmm, wasn't my favourite when she was playing, but my gods! she is so exponentially hot to me now.

crabgrass
03-05-2009, 06:55 PM
is there a rule on these boards that if you're a monica seles fan you must also have a pathalogical hatred of steffi graf....seems to be the norm around here.

christinamaniac7
03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Maria and Anna K are the most charismatic ones for sure ...

christinamaniac7
03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
And really graf was one of the most charismatic ones of her age ... i don't understand why ppl try to disvalue her !!

tahiti
03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm happy with Graf having charisma, though what I really remember is her footwork.

Still don't know why Ivanovic and Jankovic are paired though?

Leublu tennis
03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
But she would kick your a ss on any surface. Besides what's your point? I don't care if she's charismatic or not. And that's my sincere opinion. BTW that's st Evert is not!

Bye gj011
But this thread is to pick the "most charismatic" female player of the open era. So, if you think Graf was "charismatic", thats your opinion. Frankly I could care less about the Grafts of woman tennis and just don't particularly care about Sharapova. But ............... Anna is something else. She is the female equivalent of Marat.

$$$$mony$$$$
03-06-2009, 09:04 PM
whats'er name who psed in playboy must have been very charismatic :)

tenis
03-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Guys, read this^^^ first. Charisma is not sexism.

NLBwell
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Chris Evert - She completely changed how women's tennis was perceived. Pretty quiet in personality though.

Mick
03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
i'd say mary carillo because it seems like every women's tennis match i ever watched, there she was giving her views :D

jimbo333
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Well it looks like I'm the only one giving a vote to Hantuchova. Charismatic in a very quiet unassumming way:)

nat75
05-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Gaby was one of the most popular players ever. Chris Evert said so.
She had the most crowed tennis practices ever behind Agassi and she sold tickets.

nat75
05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Steffi was an awesome player but she wasn't nearly as charismatic as Gaby.

TheTruth
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Nice post...fun to read.

TheTruth
05-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Serena, she commands attention both on and off court.

Jankovic, her bubbly effervescence is refreshing.

Sharapova-(don't like her much) but her warrior like spirit does draw you to her matchs.

Hingis, her Cheshire cat grin was one of the cutest things on tour.

Davenport, her girl-next-door, down to earth spirit was refreshing.

Safina, her shy grin is endearing.

Ronaldo
05-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Y'all sleeping on Mary Jo Fernandez

dannykl
05-27-2009, 06:05 AM

Agreed. Sabatini and Graf both represent the almost perfect combination of beauty and skill in women's tennis. Miss them so much.

Joe Pike
05-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Agreed. Sabatini and Graf both represent the almost perfect combination of beauty and skill in women's tennis. Miss them so much.

Beauty, skill and - at least Graf - charisma.:)

I'm surprise that Graf leads this poll only narrowly.
OK, most voters here are from the USA ...

Let_Cord
05-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Serena Williams

sepidoel
05-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Beauty, skill and - at least Graf - charisma.:)

I'm surprise that Graf leads this poll only narrowly.
OK, most voters here are from the USA ...

I help widen up a bit. :)

Let_Cord
05-22-2011, 12:49 AM
No love for Hantuchova?

nat75
05-22-2011, 04:21 PM
The most charismatic of her generation was definitely Gabriela Sabatini. Even Steffi would admit that.

Netspirit
05-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I like the kind of tennis Martina Hingis played: smart, intelligent, feminine.

But in the charisma department, nobody gives you wood better than Ana Ivanovic.

Smasher08
05-22-2011, 04:49 PM
The title of charismatic goes to Graf all the way. "Hottest female player in the open era" might, however, yield different results!