PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying rounds structure

The1grimace
03-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm planning on buying my sister tickets for the 2009 ATP Masters Series Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati this year and I'm not entirely sure which tickets would be best (only buying tickets for 1 or 2 days since I'm poor) and I'm thinking the mens qualifying days would be best, however I'm not sure exactly how qualification works

QUESTION: do the top players at a tournament generally participate in qualifying rounds? or are they automatically seeded based on their ranks?

saram
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
The top players will be seeded and not need to play in the qualies--but if you are going to the qualies--you will surely see the top seeds practicing on the surrounding courts.

The1grimace
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
thank you sir, just seeing rafa in person will hopefully make it in the neighborhood of the best day of her life

saram
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Also make note of what top players are playing tournament wise in the week leading up to Cincy. Should Rafa be playing elsewhere and winning the week during Cincy qualies--he may not be around--just a thought.

The1grimace
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the insight, any more insight that would make the experience better would be appreciated.

saram
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Of all the people I know on here, 'Fee' would probably be able to offer you a LOT more insight than myself. I know she's been there personally and pretty much on top of the ATP/WTA world when it comes to what is current in the tennis world.

Max G.
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
If you want to take a look at what past qualifying draws were like, take a look at
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2008/422/QS.pdf
and
http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2007/422/QS.pdf

2007, for example, had Marin Cilic, and Juan Martin Del Potro - JMDP is now in the top 10 and Cilic in the top 20, though they weren't at the time they played there (that's why they had to play qualies). '07 also had Grosjean, a former top 10 player. So you might get some former top players and some future top players (though you won't know who they are yet).

Or you might not. '07 Cincinatti qualies didn't have anyone who would go on to have a breakout '08, and their best "former top players" were Bjorkman and Clement. (Dunno if Clement was ever in the top 10, he did make an Australian Open final once though. Bjorkman was top 10 back in '94 or '96.)

So you'll probably get some quality tennis, not as high-quality as the main draw of a Masters Series like Cincinatti but still pretty good.

Fee
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Of all the people I know on here, 'Fee' would probably be able to offer you a LOT more insight than myself. I know she's been there personally and pretty much on top of the ATP/WTA world when it comes to what is current in the tennis world.

Aren't you sweet. And correct. ;)

I have been to Cincy, once, and its absolutely worth it to go on qualifying days if you are pretty avid tennis fan. If you aren't, you might spend all weekend going 'who are these guys' and not enjoy it. Qualies were free a few years ago, but I would not be surprised if they start charging a little bit for them this year.

If your main or only goal for attending this event is to see Nadal, get tickets for Monday and Tuesday. More than likely he will play the week before in Canada, he might get deep into that draw and not show up in Cincy until Sunday night or Monday. On the other hand, if he loses early up north, then he'll probably come to Cincy to practice when everyone else starts showing up (Friday).

The practice court schedule is posted at the info booth just inside the main entrance (there are only two entrances) and it's usually pretty accurate, especially for the big name players. For Nadal (and Federer and Roddick) if you know when and where they are practicing, get there early becuase those three draw the biggest most crush inducing crowds (and possibly Novak now too). If Safin is there, he'll probably have a big crowd too.

You can save money by just getting the 'grounds pass' which is actually a nosebleed seat in the main stadium. So, maybe you can go for three days instead of just two.

The1grimace
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Aren't you sweet. And correct. ;)

I have been to Cincy, once, and its absolutely worth it to go on qualifying days if you are pretty avid tennis fan. If you aren't, you might spend all weekend going 'who are these guys' and not enjoy it. Qualies were free a few years ago, but I would not be surprised if they start charging a little bit for them this year.

If your main or only goal for attending this event is to see Nadal, get tickets for Monday and Tuesday. More than likely he will play the week before in Canada, he might get deep into that draw and not show up in Cincy until Sunday night or Monday. On the other hand, if he loses early up north, then he'll probably come to Cincy to practice when everyone else starts showing up (Friday).

The practice court schedule is posted at the info booth just inside the main entrance (there are only two entrances) and it's usually pretty accurate, especially for the big name players. For Nadal (and Federer and Roddick) if you know when and where they are practicing, get there early becuase those three draw the biggest most crush inducing crowds (and possibly Novak now too). If Safin is there, he'll probably have a big crowd too.

You can save money by just getting the 'grounds pass' which is actually a nosebleed seat in the main stadium. So, maybe you can go for three days instead of just two.

I didn't see a grounds pass anywhere on the tickets page, I may have just missed it though. Also seeing Rafa isn't the main goal of the experience, just icing on the cake. I would just really like to have my sister see some high caliber tennis.

Right now my plan is to buy one ticket for the 15th of august which I'm told will allow us access to all of the mens qualifiers and one of the womens semifinal matches that day, then another ticket for sunday the 16th which will give us access to the second day of qualifiers and the womens finals that evening.

It appears to me that this plan will allow us to watch the most overall tennis, and still allow us to see two very high stakes and hopefully intense matches between what should be the best 4 womens players at the tournament.

I'm getting very excited about this and it's not for another 5 months, so please feel free to feed the excitement by keeping the info coming.

Fee
03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh right, I forgot about the women's tournament the week before. Your plan sounds like a good one. Make sure you wear good sunscreen and comfortable shoes and prepare yourself for the humidity. :)

saram
03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Fee, you are on top of the tennis world and a lot more accurate than us 'wannabies' when trying to quote the tour. Glad you came across this to offer better and sound advice.

Fee
03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Fee, you are on top of the tennis world and a lot more accurate than us 'wannabies' when trying to quote the tour. Glad you came across this to offer better and sound advice.

Um, no, not really. I've just been lucky enough to go to a few events from 2002 to 2007, but those days are over... and I had a website for a few years, so I tried to learn as much as I could about the rules and stuff. Still don't know much about technique and stuff within the game itself and I'm not a good player, I just hit hard.

Now stop, you are making me :oops:

:)

saram
03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Um, no, not really. I've just been lucky enough to go to a few events from 2002 to 2007, but those days are over... and I had a website for a few years, so I tried to learn as much as I could about the rules and stuff. Still don't know much about technique and stuff within the game itself and I'm not a good player, I just hit hard.

Now stop, you are making me :oops:

:)

Seriously not trying to hijack this thread--but you are one of the few I can name on one hand that actually has the 'behind the scenes of tennis' within his/her grasp.

And, you have morally kept me in check on an occasion or two when I get heated. You're one of the 'good ones' here on TTW.

Fee
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Seriously not trying to hijack this thread--but you are one of the few I can name on one hand that actually has the 'behind the scenes of tennis' within his/her grasp.

And, you have morally kept me in check on an occasion or two when I get heated. You're one of the 'good ones' here on TTW.

Well then you have to keep me in check when I get impatient and snarky, then we'll be even. ;)

And thanks for your service. (heee, your turn to blush).

saram
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Well then you have to keep me in check when I get impatient and snarky, then we'll be even. ;)

And thanks for your service. (heee, your turn to blush).

Posted a while ago:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=248446