PDA

View Full Version : plastic wrap?

mabuhay
03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
i bought a racquet from someone and it was wrapped by a clear plastic. i saw some pros (e.g. agassi) with their racquets wrapped with a clear plastic. what is the plastic for?

blakestheman
03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
i believe that the plastic covering you are referring to is put on right after it is strung. supposedly to prevent the tension from being altered and/or to differentiate between racquets. most likely it's something that a pro did and has caught on i.e. luxilon big banger, etc.

Bob K
03-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm going with, "it's a bag."

baselinebrawler
03-03-2005, 04:37 PM
I think the pros get the bag on their racquets because 99% of the time pros have their racquets strung with natural gut. So to avoid any moisture getting on those precious, expensive strings they put them in plastic bags. Most of the time at a pro shop a stringer will put the racquet in a plastic bag regardless of who he is stringing the racquet for.

david aames
03-03-2005, 04:43 PM
*shaking head in disbelief*

ibemadskillzz
03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
it's just plastic

Michael Ludwig
03-03-2005, 05:50 PM
David, I feel your pain......

To everyone else, the bags are mainly used for promotional purposes, but also serve to protect fresh strings from the elements. baselinebrawler, I think you'll find the percent of players using natural gut (be it a hybrid or a full job) much less than "99".

K!ck5w3rvE
03-03-2005, 08:26 PM
baselinebrawler.......come on, get a grip. Don't come on here making ridiculous statements like that.

Deuce
03-05-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm with Bob on this.

In fact, I'll go a little further, saying that "It's a bag which allows you to see the racquet without removing the bag."

Pure magic.

baselinebrawler
03-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Well I did start my post with "I think" not "I know for sure". If im wrong in my thinking then I am wrong. This is just what I have seen given my limited experience with full blown tournament style situations. You guys are right in one sense I really have no idea what the percentage is of how many pros use gut all the time. My thinking is alot of pros are so picky about there sticks that using what most people call the best kind of string on your racquet would make sense.

12step
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
once again another useless topic. get a life baselinebrawler.

Colpo
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
This whole thread reminds me alot of Shirley Jackson's story, "The Lottery." Guess which poster is the one getting pelted. Tough crowd, especially if you consider that this thread's starter expressly says that his racquet was wrapped in plastic, not placed in a plastic bag. That said, I have no idea why anyone would Saran Wrap a racquet.

Dedans Penthouse
03-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Deuce, I've been wrestling with this in my head for minutes let alone years; indeed, if they can put a man on the moon, why couldn't they develop a low-density polyethylene bag that would not only allow you, your family and your friends to glance at the racquet without having to remove it from the bag (as if that wouldn't be cool enough), but would also present you with the opportunity to be able to stare at it?? Think about it!! How cool is that??!

I see those players pull out those plastic bags with the big "J" on the outside (I was used to plastic bags with little "J's" inside) and I'm convinced that those plastic bags are long overdue, that they are an important component in taking tennis equipment technology to the next level.

Seriously, as mentioned above, aren't those bags used to protect "gut strings" from the elements?

"WARNING: KEEP THIS BAG AWAY FROM RABBIT, BABIES AND CHILDREN. DO NOT USE IN CRIBS, BEDS, CARRIAGES AND PLAYPENS. THE THIN FILM MAY CLING TO NOSE AND MOUTH A PREVENT BREATHING!"

bertrevert
03-15-2005, 05:26 AM
bump, too good...

They are bringing out full-size tennis bags in clear plastic as well. Now you can glance, stare, indeed lapse into untreatable scopophilia, eyeballing your own and other player's gear inside the clear bags.

The tennis channels are said to be excited by the close-up slo-mo possibilities of the clear bags during tournament play.

Players using them now:

Roger Federer said "I don't know, I gave it my best, but I hope it all comes out in the wash".
Marat was typically philosophical "dirty undies" he said.
Kafelnikov jetted into town as he is considering a comeback based on the commercial opportunities and endorsement deals behind these new clear bags.

Lastly, Agassi's bag seemed completely empty until, in a sleight-of-hand some have said was more Las Vegas than pure zen, he made his racquet appear behind the ear of a grinning ball kid.

TW is to sell the clear bags as soon as they can get a reviewer with nothing to hide.

tennisnj
03-15-2005, 07:17 AM
If the pros start showing up w/clear full-size tennis bags will that mean they'll be airing out their dirty laundry in front of the entire crowd?

Rabbit
03-15-2005, 08:11 AM
I think the bags are bad for the environment and responsible for the decline in the sea turtle population. I really need to hug a tree right now.

pyro2990
03-20-2005, 02:30 PM
i no what those bags r really for........ INTIMIDATION lol i see lots of really good players (junior level) whipping rackets out of those bags just to look cool, but idk prob to just keep moisture away from the strings