PDA

View Full Version : < Mr. Pete Sampras Will Return? If So, When? >

TheOneAndOnly
03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Will Pete Sampras return?

I just get a sense that he's wetting his feet with the seniors on the seniors tour, and once he and other players on the seniors tour that he is 10 heads and 10 shoulders above them all, they may push him off to the ATP circuit to play in the pro's once again.

As long as he plays the 'minimum' numbers of tournaments required throughout the year, perhaps he can come back.

Or make an exception. Allow him to just come back for Wimbledon. Or any other Grand Slams.

Is this mere speculation or do you think this is actually within the realm of realistic possibilities?

I think it's realistic .... to an extent of course.

Jim A
03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
the only time you will see him playing with current ATP pros are at the exhibitions to line their pockets while providing some entertainment

he's never been a guy who needed tennis all the time, he ate at the Waffle House in Tampa Palms every morning during his heyday, is no married to a beautiful actress and has the life most of us dream about, so why would he want to come back and travel, do the grind etc

THERAFA
03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Sampras was a tennis nerd and seemed like he needed tennis more than:
Agassi

The-Champ
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Why only Sampras? Cedric Pioline and Mac should come back as well, they've beaten Sampras on the senior tour.
Damn...bring the whole gang back! Even those former greats in wheel chairs.

miyagi
03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
LOL Sampras would not come back...unless he thought he could improve on his 14 slams why put himself through that?

I doubt he could beat Fed now or Nadal or Djoko although it would be great fun to watch!

You are confusing what you would like to happen and what is actually happening!

OddJack
03-03-2009, 02:43 AM
You're all wrong, Elvis is alive...

Bjorn99
03-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Mac has beaten Sampras on the tour? Really, when? And was it a goof, or for real? Just can't see that, Mac must be playing really well for that to happen.

Gorecki
03-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Why only Sampras? Cedric Pioline and Mac should come back as well, they've beaten Sampras on the senior tour.
Damn...bring the whole gang back! Even those former greats in wheel chairs.

by the looks of it, using bandage in the knees at 22, actually the one in wheel chair will be the player praised in your signature...

Gorecki: the one who believes Raftards are now tired of trolling *******s and are now moving onto Former Champions Fans...

Blade0324
03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Well Mac beat Pete in one of Pete's first attempts on the Champions tour. Pete will not come back to the ATP for many reasons, one of which is that the game has passed him by. His style of play would not be successful against many of the top players on the ATP today. Also he is simply too old to really be competetive.

THERAFA
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
He would only be competitive at Wimbledon, serve-volley still works there when you serve like:
Pete
Sampras

egn
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
It is not happening stop with your nonsense.

TheOneAndOnly
03-03-2009, 09:40 PM
He would only be competitive at Wimbledon, serve-volley still works there when you serve like:
Pete
Sampras

that's what i'm saying. wimbledon.

this is the gs that sampras can still win.... and it's the gs that he's most good at.

wimbledon return. yes.

THERAFA
03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I hope Sampras does return to:
Wimbledon

TheOneAndOnly
03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
you see, it's just a matter of 'tweeking' the wimbledone grass..... like it was before .... if the people at wimby want sampras to come back to sw 19 (?) or 15(?).... whatever..... they should seriously consider making the grass to fit pete sampras' game....

big. i mean big. this would be very big for tennis... and especially wimbledon

THERAFA
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
But just because Rafa can beat Federer at the current Wimbledon it doesn't mean Sampras can't beat Rafa, because don't forget Sampras' serve makes Federer's serve look like tasty fried:
Chicken

ksbh
03-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Get real. Sampras would be lucky to get past the 1st round.

that's what i'm saying. wimbledon.

this is the gs that sampras can still win.... and it's the gs that he's most good at.

wimbledon return. yes.

ksbh
03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
If Sampras was stupid enough to actually try, he'll be out of breath by the end of set 1 against Rafa. The guy will be 38 this year. You guys need a bucket load of reality!

But just because Rafa can beat Federer at the current Wimbledon it doesn't mean Sampras can't beat Rafa, because don't forget Sampras' serve makes Federer's serve look like tasty fried:
Chicken

mental midget
03-04-2009, 09:15 AM
if he thought he stood a chance, there is a 100% probability that he would ask for, and get, a wild card.

but he won't. because he doesn't. and he knows it.

henryshli
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I hope Sampras does return to:
Wimbledon

I agree Sampras can still do well at Wimbledon. Rafa won't be able to keep the rallies long against a true S&V legend.

TheOneAndOnly
03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Chicken

that's right, THERAFA.

good logic. just because nadal can beat federer doesn't mean he can beat sampras. in fact the entire opposite.

sampras would love to play rafa over sampras.

if you've seen some matches where nadal played s&v'ers, they gave him a very very tough time... and so would pete.

pete would certainly quiet the naysayers, indeed.

i just don't think djokovic or nadal would really have a CHANCE with sampras... i really don't.

in terms of serves, fed's serve is lightning. it's lightning, because he places it so well. sampras' serve is both a fed and roddick combo - this DEVASTATES any player facing sampras.

seriously, given that sampras 'ups' the ante at the senior level, and given that he starts to feel the waters through exhibition matches.... it's very possible that sampras can get a wild card into wimbledon.

why not? to save face? 14 gs. no one can take that away from sampras.

even if sampras tried to come back to tennis and fell flat on his face... so what? sampras still has 14 gs.

what's the difference b/t favre coming back with tears still rolling down his eyes (just a joke!) vs. sampras coming back and trying to come back?

none.

the only thing that sampras would be preserving by not playing wimbledon is THE POSSIBILITY THAT HE'D LOSE AND THAT HE'D LOSE BAD.

but is this not worth it? it's up to sampras.

it's certainly up to sampras.

sampras is not in the game of tennis for 'good looks' or 'reputation'. if he plays, then he won't be playing an exhibition, but a real match.

with the toppling of federer and the unknown stability of nadal, and the unknown lower ranked players, mr. pete sampras has got a chance.

coming back to tennis is not a full head-on atp tour.

simply, it's about returning to wimbledon, getting a nice crack at that golden trophy once again.

this would be big. really big. bigger than favre's return. bigger than jordan's prior return attempt with Washington DC.

big. really big, i say.

Leublu tennis
03-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Doesn't this belong in the former player section, at least until Sampras returns to active tennis. Right.

srinrajesh
03-05-2009, 03:00 AM
well i dont think he would go beyond 2-3 rounds even if he gets a good draw as the speed of the grass has changed and the raquet technology and baseliners style would prove too much even for him.

That said the top players would be afraid of playing him in the early rounds as they are vulnerable at that stage.
Well its all speculation now.Let us wait and see if there's any chance.

Rorsach
03-05-2009, 03:04 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/12/Avril_Lavigne_Let_Go.jpg

coloskier
03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
There is one thing I have noticed. Many players have done EXO's with Sampras, but Nadal has not. Why is this?

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Sampras is way too scared and Nadal has better to do, he will have lots of time to have fun with Sampras when he is older!

TheOneAndOnly
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
There is one thing I have noticed. Many players have done EXO's with Sampras, but Nadal has not. Why is this?

i think nadal and sampras are both scared to play each other.

nadal could be more scared, though, i believe.

tahiti
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
It would be interesting to see an old legend on the tour just to see how they fair. It would certainly address the 100's of assertions we find on the forum.

1st Seed
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
"I'd be licking my chops"I'm sure that's what Pistol said on playing Rafa.Still packs a big serve with that mallet he's using now.If he could run like the past I believe Nadal would be creamed.Pete will return, just a night in your dreams.

THERAFA
03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Rafa would beat Sampras on all surfaces but it is true that Sampras is serving at higher speeds now than he ever did during his career due to the:
New
Racquet

TheNatural
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Sampras should play Nadal on the Wimbledon center court 1 week after Wimbledon for title of the undisputed Wimbledon champion.

THERAFA
03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Sampras should play Nadal on the Wimbledon center court 1 week after Wimbledon for title of the undisputed Wimbledon champion.

Ok we'll do that this year sounds:
Good

TheOneAndOnly
03-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Seriously. the only thing stopping sampras to play wimbledon again is: make the surface faster.

then all others are meat.

JoshDragon
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Seriously. the only thing stopping sampras to play wimbledon again is: make the surface faster.

then all others are meat.

I assume that you're joking.

TheOneAndOnly
03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I assume that you're joking.

no. i'm not joking. :<

JoshDragon
03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
no. i'm not joking. :<

I don't think Sampras will comeback out of retirement, he knows he has no chance of another major. He couldn't even beat Hewitt in an exhibition match.

If he does come back he will lose in the first or second round to some qualifier. Just like he did in 2002 at Wimbledon.

Blade0324
03-07-2009, 04:41 PM
theoneandonly, you are completely delusional if you think Sampras could even get through one round at any tourney even Wimby. The grass ain't gettin any faster there for him to make a come back as that would be foolish of them to do. So let's change the grass on all the courts at a cost of $$$$$$$$$$$ huge money so some washed up former champ can come back and get his ***** handed to him and in the process we'll alienate the other 127 in the main draw. He has no chance on this or any other grass...except for hippie grass that you must be smokin.

This thread will now be about trains.

JoshDragon
03-07-2009, 07:07 PM
i think nadal and sampras are both scared to play each other.

nadal could be more scared, though, i believe.

Why would Nadal be afraid of playing an over-the-hill champion, who hasn't played a major in over 6 years?

supertrex
03-07-2009, 08:16 PM
wonder if they will do Nadal vs Sampras exhibition.

TheOneAndOnly
03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
wonder if they will do Nadal vs Sampras exhibition.

it's just a matter of time on the nadal/sampras exhibition. when it happens, this is the real sizing up of the enemy for sampras. sampras can test how well nadal plays against him.

no. sampras will not play nadal right now, because sampras is being merciful to nadal. seriously, if sampras wanted to whip nadal and bagel him, he probably could. there is NO player on tour that has sampras' game - none.

let nadal enjoy his #1 streak. he's only just gotten out of the teenage years.

sampras is too gracious to play nadal right now, because just like sampras previously said, sampras simply would lick his chops and bagel the likes of nadal.

i think in an exhibition, if sampras played nadal, nadal really, truly would have no chance. the entire exhibition would be about saving face.

nadal, or anyone (except maybe federer) hasn't really faced a flat-hitting serve and volleyer (play-the-baseline-game-too-ANYTIME) like Pete Sampras.

you guys think i'm joking.

no. i'm serious.

Nadal needs to get into a groove, and the current ATP players, almost all of them ALLOW him to get into the groove with baseline play and the like.

Sampras would have none of it. None.

If it was a real match, a real fight, Sampras would have no mercy and would play a no holds barred against Nadal.

don't you guys see it?

just so that you know that what i am saying IS reasonable, i will also say that if sampras were to play federer, it would and could be a tough match, because of federer's VERSATILITY. and this versatility is what go sampras when he first played fed at wimbledon.

with nadal, it's a totally different ball game. nadal is NOT a volleyer and cannot volley like federer.

nadal is an animal. true. but nadal, i don't think, can handle a massive serve and volleyer like sampras.

i think sampras can do it.

... if he pulls the trigger in the next year or 2.... but this is all sampras has got, in my opinion.

after that, sampras can stay with the seniors and really know that he belongs there.

for now, sampras is in limbo b/t the seniors and a possible temporary (and i mean "TEMPORARY") return to the ATP.

JoshDragon
03-07-2009, 09:29 PM
it's just a matter of time on the nadal/sampras exhibition. when it happens, this is the real sizing up of the enemy for sampras. sampras can test how well nadal plays against him.

no. sampras will not play nadal right now, because sampras is being merciful to nadal. seriously, if sampras wanted to whip nadal and bagel him, he probably could. there is NO player on tour that has sampras' game - none.

sampras is too gracious to play nadal right now, because just like sampras previously said, sampras simply would lick his chops and bagel the likes of nadal.

i think in an exhibition, if sampras played nadal, nadal really, truly would have no chance. the entire exhibition would be about saving face.

nadal, or anyone (except maybe federer) hasn't really faced a flat-hitting serve and volleyer (play-the-baseline-game-too-ANYTIME) like Pete Sampras.

no. i'm serious.

Nadal needs to get into a groove, and the current ATP players, almost all of them ALLOW him to get into the groove with baseline play and the like.

If it was a real match, a real fight, Sampras would have no mercy and would play a no holds barred against Nadal.

don't you guys see it?

just so that you know that what i am saying IS reasonable, i will also say that if sampras were to play federer, it would and could be a tough match, because of federer's VERSATILITY. and this versatility is what go sampras when he first played fed at wimbledon.

with nadal, it's a totally different ball game. nadal is NOT a volleyer and cannot volley like federer.

nadal is an animal. true. but nadal, i don't think, can handle a massive serve and volleyer like sampras.

... if he pulls the trigger in the next year or 2.... but this is all sampras has got, in my opinion.

after that, sampras can stay with the seniors and really know that he belongs there.

for now, sampras is in limbo b/t the seniors and a possible temporary (and i mean "TEMPORARY") return to the ATP.

TheOneAndOnly: You are new to the forums but making comments like this will cause some posters to unload on you.

Let's just be honest about this. I won't go into the Nadal's prime vs Sampras's prime thing.

Sampras would have several things going against him if he were to play Nadal:

1. His age
2. The slower court speed
3. Having not played at the top of the game for the past 6 years. The senior circuit is much different than the ATP (Sampras even admitted this in an interview.)

Nadal, really only has one thing going against him, his knees.

Sampras wouldn't be able to beat Nadal from the baseline and also stated in an interview that if he was playing today he would try to attack the net as much as possible. However, S&V is not as effective on slower surfaces.

If it were on a faster surface 12 years ago that would be different but there's no way Sampras would win their match.

I agree Nadal, is not a good volleyer but he is exceptional from the baseline, so he doesn't really have to be a good volleyer.

thalivest
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM

no. i'm serious.

don't you guys see it?

Check your watch to see a sign of the time warp you are obviously living in. This is 2009, not 1994.

hoodjem
03-07-2009, 09:40 PM
TheOneAndOnly: You are new to the forums but making comments like this will cause some posters to unload on you.

Let's just be honest about this. I won't go into the Nadal's prime vs Sampras's prime thing.

Sampras would have several things going against him if he were to play Nadal:

1. His age
2. The slower court speed
3. Having not played at the top of the game for the past 6 years. The senior circuit is much different than the ATP (Sampras even admitted this in an interview.)

Nadal, really only has one thing going against him, his knees.

Sampras wouldn't be able to beat Nadal from the baseline and also stated in an interview that if he was playing today he would try to attack the net as much as possible. However, S&V is not as effective on slower surfaces.

If it were on a faster surface 12 years ago that would be different but there's no way Sampras would win their match.

I agree Nadal, is not a good volleyer but he is exceptional from the baseline, so he doesn't really have to be volley.I am inclined to agree with JD. He has more present evidence and less wishful thinking on his side.

supertrex
03-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I thought Federer will be the Next Sampras style player, since he is using the same PS 85 when he started playing pro. he is a good S&V but not as strong.

then he suddenly change playstyle more baseline with some S&V.

but who knows. maybe thats hes comfort zone. I still believe he can be strong at the net.

Blade0324
03-08-2009, 08:58 AM
What happened here, I though I said this post was now going to be about trains.

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I never thought Federer would be in Sampras' league because Sampras has a far better 1st serve and then you look at Sampras' 2nd serve and it's so good it's like he's serving a 1st serve on a 2nd serve; Sampras is unlike any server in history:
Incomparable

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I hope the moderators ban trains 100% from this messageboard:
Baby!

Blade0324
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope the moderators ban trains 100% from this messageboard:
Baby!

More likely that they will ban new members that have no clue what they are taking about and keep dragging up rediculous ideas about former players that are not even close to relevant today or in today's game.

mtommer
03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I think if Sampras wanted to come back he could. He already knows exactly what it takes and we know (from his book) that Sampras, if he did come back, would expect to win. That makes him a danger for any player out there. When the current record holder of GS's expects to win, count on him winning. Now, my guess is that Pete is having fun playing where he's at. It's competitive enough that you can get that tennis "fix" but it's low key enough that it doesn't matter much beyond that match if you win or lose. He also has a wife that gave up a large part of her career time for him and I don't get the feeling he is one to let that sacrifice go unnoticed or unappreciated. I don't think we'll ever see Pete play another ATP tour event again.

JoshDragon
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I think if Sampras wanted to come back he could. He already knows exactly what it takes and we know (from his book) that Sampras, if he did come back, would expect to win. That makes him a danger for any player out there. When the current record holder of GS's expects to win, count on him winning. Now, my guess is that Pete is having fun playing where he's at. It's competitive enough that you can get that tennis "fix" but it's low key enough that it doesn't matter much beyond that match if you win or lose. He also has a wife that gave up a large part of her career time for him and I don't get the feeling he is one to let that sacrifice go unnoticed or unappreciated. I don't think we'll ever see Pete play another ATP tour event again.

Exactly. All Sampras, would need to do is expect to win. That would put so much pressure on Nadal and Federer that they would be completely overwhelmed. No one can beat Sampras if he expects to win. :rolleyes:

The-Champ
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I never thought Federer would be in Sampras' league because Sampras has a far better 1st serve and then you look at Sampras' 2nd serve and it's so good it's like he's serving a 1st serve on a 2nd serve; Sampras is unlike any server in history:
Incomparable

If that second serve is nearly as good as his first, it's really astonishing how he was able to lose matches even in his prime.

jmjmkim
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
It would be good to see him play again, if he decides to.

mtommer
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Exactly. All Sampras, would need to do is expect to win. That would put so much pressure on Nadal and Federer that they would be completely overwhelmed. No one can beat Sampras if he expects to win. :rolleyes:

<sigh> you need to work on reading comprehension.

TheOneAndOnly
03-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Incomparable

the reason why fed got good was maybe because his competition was less than par?

JoshDragon
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
<sigh> you need to work on reading comprehension.

Really? Then would you please explain how an over-the-hill tennis champion could beat the best player in the world?

Oh and if your theory has anything to do with Doc Brown and a Delorean then please don't bother.

mtommer
03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Really? Then would you please explain how an over-the-hill tennis champion could beat the best player in the world?

Oh and if your theory has anything to do with Doc Brown and a Delorean then please don't bother.

Is that what I said? Are you sure? Part of reading comprehension is about what is said, what's not being said but being said none the less, and thus is assuming a certain level of experience and/or knowledge by the reader such that many things not said need not have been said. If that last sentence sounded liked gibberish, you need to improve your reading comprehension.

JoshDragon
03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
That bit about reading comprehension, is simply a red herring. It's done nothing to progress our conversation, so let's drop it.

You said that Sampras, could make a return to the ATP if he chose to, yet you haven't given any reason as to how he would be able to do. I've listed several reasons as to why he wouldn't be able to return:

1. Age
2. Slower Court speed
3. Time away from the ATP

You said that if Sampras were to comeback he would expect to win.

How would he be able to win if he was competing against players 10-20 years younger than him?

dataseviltwin
03-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Won't happen... they've slowed the courts at Wimbledon too much... Lendl could've won a couple if they were as slow as they are now "back in the day..." Great player, especially in the clutch, but I don't think he could hang on what amounts to a slowish hard court with really bad bounces.

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I think the point is, Sampras would only decide to come back if he knew he was ready to win, so if we do see Sampras come back then we can safely assume he will be:
Competitive

TheOneAndOnly
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Won't happen... they've slowed the courts at Wimbledon too much... Lendl could've won a couple if they were as slow as they are now "back in the day..." Great player, especially in the clutch, but I don't think he could hang on what amounts to a slowish hard court with really bad bounces.

this is the very reason why in my opinion federer is and should be likened to lendl and not sampras. federer isn't even close to sampras. sampras is a massive serve and volleyer... federer? simply another lendl. good, but not great, like sampras.

if the grass courts were faster or as they were before, federer would not have even won 1 wimbledon.

when did they slow down the surface by the way?

you see, after they slowed down the surface, it was a great time for federer (also known as lendl in playability) to reign on the slow surface.

federer isn't really a wimbledon champ, now that i think about it.

he's just picking up where lendl left off. with the slow surface, i think lendl could've won 5 or 6 wimbledons, too.

no. since wimby has slowed down, such was a demise of mr. sampras. too bad. but that's the reality.

now, if wimby is sped up, sampras can come back, and show the likes of murray, nadal, federer, djokovic, and others that this is what real wimby players are like.

but who will give fed a problem? federer, maybe, since fed is versatile.

i think hewitt will give sampras some problems because hewitt is a precision grinder baseline + he's gotten into sampras' head.. in my opinion.

and roddick. roddick's serve would flower into a massive tank that no one, not even fed or sampras or anyone can handle - this is my opinion.

so, roddick, hewitt, and maybe fed would give sampras some problems if wimby was sped up.

but nadal and djokovic? gimme a break. they'd have no chance.

once again, they (nadal and djokovic) do not know what sampras' game is like. they have no idea, whatsoever.

sampras has got around 1 1/2 years to decide if he wants to return to the grass, and if they'll speed up the surface.

TheOneAndOnly
03-08-2009, 09:32 PM
we must however give fed his credit due since he has won many wimbledons... although the surface was slowed down.

why did the officials slow it down anyway?

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I can see why Federer won Wimbledon so many times, I mean Hewitt played Nalbandian in a:
Wimbledon
Final!

mtommer
03-08-2009, 10:02 PM
That bit about reading comprehension, is simply a red herring. It's done nothing to progress our conversation, so let's drop it.

You said that Sampras, could make a return to the ATP if he chose to, yet you haven't given any reason as to how he would be able to do. I've listed several reasons as to why he wouldn't be able to return:

1. Age
2. Slower Court speed
3. Time away from the ATP

You said that if Sampras were to comeback he would expect to win.

How would he be able to win if he was competing against players 10-20 years younger than him?

It most certainly is not a red herring. Question one: Would Pete choose to come back on tour? If he did, would he do so frivolously or would he do so with a realistic outlook in mind having properly done all the prep work such as hitting seriously with top players for example?

If Pete were to come back on tour it would mean one thing and one thing only, that Pete would be competitive. If he couldn't be competitive with any player in the world, he wouldn't be there. Period.

JoshDragon
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
this is the very reason why in my opinion federer is and should be likened to lendl and not sampras. federer isn't even close to sampras. sampras is a massive serve and volleyer... federer? simply another lendl. good, but not great, like sampras.

if the grass courts were faster or as they were before, federer would not have even won 1 wimbledon.

when did they slow down the surface by the way?

you see, after they slowed down the surface, it was a great time for federer (also known as lendl in playability) to reign on the slow surface.

federer isn't really a wimbledon champ, now that i think about it.

he's just picking up where lendl left off. with the slow surface, i think lendl could've won 5 or 6 wimbledons, too.

no. since wimby has slowed down, such was a demise of mr. sampras. too bad. but that's the reality.

now, if wimby is sped up, sampras can come back, and show the likes of murray, nadal, federer, djokovic, and others that this is what real wimby players are like.

but who will give fed a problem? federer, maybe, since fed is versatile.

i think hewitt will give sampras some problems because hewitt is a precision grinder baseline + he's gotten into sampras' head.. in my opinion.

and roddick. roddick's serve would flower into a massive tank that no one, not even fed or sampras or anyone can handle - this is my opinion.

so, roddick, hewitt, and maybe fed would give sampras some problems if wimby was sped up.

but nadal and djokovic? gimme a break. they'd have no chance.

once again, they (nadal and djokovic) do not know what sampras' game is like. they have no idea, whatsoever.

sampras has got around 1 1/2 years to decide if he wants to return to the grass, and if they'll speed up the surface.

You still aren't making any sense. Federer was a very good volleyer early on in his career, in fact he volleyed a lot when he beat Sampras at Wimbledon back in 2001 (when Sampras was the four time defending champion.) Federer S&V often during that match.

Federer, is a five time Wimbledon champion. There is no 'real Wimbledon champion. I could say that Sampras wasn't a real Wimbledon Champion because he played on grass that was too fast. That's as reasonable as Federer being a fake champion because the grass was too slow.

Wimbledon slowing down was not the sole reason that Sampras retired from tennis. Even if the courts were lightning fast he wouldn't be able to win another major.

The courts have been slowing down gradually over the past 7 years (maybe a little more.)

Also, why do you think that Federer is good but Sampras is great? Because Sampras was a S&V?:-?

JoshDragon
03-08-2009, 10:30 PM

You said in your original post that if Sampras wanted to come back he could. Which implies that he still would be good enough to play somewhere on the ATP.

You also mentioned that if he chose to come back, that he would expect to win and would take the steps necessary for him to compete on the ATP once again.

Basically what you are saying that Sampras, is good enough to come back and if he chooses to comeback he will be prepared and will go in with the expectation of winning and doing well on the tour.

I don't agree with that and I'm asking you to explain how he would be able to prepare himself to defeat players who are much younger than him and probably hungrier as well.

mtommer
03-09-2009, 12:12 AM
You said in your original post that if Sampras wanted to come back he could. Which implies that he still would be good enough to play somewhere on the ATP.

No, it doesn't imply that. That was my point about reading comprehension. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that him being good enough is determined by him and him alone. There is nobody here who can theorize or argue one way or another as to the viability of him being physically or mentally able to come back. I'm also saying that I doubt Pete would let himself want to come back until he figured out whether he actually could or not. It's a key and fundamental difference than what you're saying.

You also mentioned that if he chose to come back, that he would expect to win and would take the steps necessary for him to compete on the ATP once again.

I don't agree with that and I'm asking you to explain how he would be able to prepare himself to defeat players who are much younger than him and probably hungrier as well.

You can't disagree or agree. It's a matter of being able to do it or not and until one tries there is no conclusion worth drawing. The last I knew Pete didn't have a serious injury or physical debilitation such that it would indeed be impossible for him or anybody with the affliction to compete, much less at that level.

As for how? Going from point a to point b isn't reliant upon age. If he can get to balls, he gets to them. As far as hunger goes I think it would be there just by the effort it took to come back on tour. You don't restart that life without hunger. Does he have it? I don't know, does he? I haven't seen him on tour yet. Has he made indications he wants to come back? I haven't heard of any.

You should have gathered this by now but if you haven't, I'm not saying he can come back and I'm not saying he can't. What I am saying is that there isn't one person here, not-a-one, that has even the remotest inkling of being able to determine Pete's ability to come back. If someone here shouted "He's coming back in two months" and Pete came back in two months that person would not be right, they were wrong. They didn't know jack. Consequently, if anybody here says he can't come back and he doesn't they aren't right either. They are wrong. It's just gibberish.

Blade0324
03-09-2009, 07:26 AM
joshdragon, If you really think Samprass could still play even close to a level to compete at Wimbledon, even if the grass was faster (I hope they never do this again) then you sir have your head so far up your arse you need to put glass in your belly button so you can see where you are going.

TheOneAndOnly
03-09-2009, 07:34 AM
it seems you all are confusing yourselves.

you see, the driving force behind sampras' return will be lleyton hewitt.

hewitt doesn't do exhibitions it seems to me. he plays tennis. period.

once sampras realizes that an exhibition against hewitt is no exhibition but a real match, sampras will taste a test of the real current ATP, and may want to come back if he can compete and even beat the likes of hewitt during a so-called exhibition.

future exhibitions may not be a show anymore. if a players wants to bagel another, they will. THIS is what the public who paid for the exhbitions want anyway. not just a show. they want the players to give it their all, to see if they can really win as if it's a real match.

in fact, exhibitions, with more prize money may be even bigger than atp events, even bigger than grand slam events if the money purse was superiorly increased.

kinda like an apollo v. drago and rocky v. drago sort of match.

drago will take no prisoners. this isn't an exhbition for drago. it's a boxing fight.

JoshDragon
03-09-2009, 09:41 AM
joshdragon, If you really think Samprass could still play even close to a level to compete at Wimbledon, even if the grass was faster (I hope they never do this again) then you sir have your head so far up your arse you need to put glass in your belly button so you can see where you are going.

You must not be reading my posts. I think Pete Sampras would be annihilated if he came back.

Blade0324
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
You must not be reading my posts. I think Pete Sampras would be annihilated if he came back.

My apologies then, I must have misread. No hard feelings I hope.