PDA

View Full Version : Nalbandian out of the DC tie with a virus

random guy
03-03-2009, 05:48 AM
The virus that has plagued him last couple of weeks still bugging him so he's not 100% ready for the DC tie against Holland on clay in Buenos Aires. They confirmed it today after practice. The captain will ask Delpo to substitute for him. If not, maybe Acasusso.
The other players in the team are Juan Ignacio Chela, Juan Monaco y Lucas Arnold (doubles).

Hope that David recovers in time for Indian Wells :-?

jgn1013
03-03-2009, 06:18 AM
wonder if they will ask Del Porto to fill in, what will he say since him & Nab's don't get along.

tahiti
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Another virus??? What's going on?

babbette
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Damn those players and viruses!! What the hell goes son in those locker rooms?!?!

veroniquem
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Damn those players and viruses!! What the hell goes son in those locker rooms?!?!
A lot of kissing? :) (That and Nadal running around naked according to the Bryan brothers :lol:)

seffina
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Hope he gets better soon. Didn't he have tonsillitis?

babbette
03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
A lot of kissing? :) (That and Nadal running around naked according to the Bryan brothers :lol:)
Haha. Rafa seemed upset when he answered that question about Bryan brothers. Since all three of them were there until finals I wonder if he ever asked them about it.

But this thread is about David.

Get well soon. Stay away from dodgy looking salsas and fajitas

Cyan
03-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Mono????????????????

sureshs
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
This Federer guy should stop going around kissing everybody.

Cyan
03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm going to start thinking that bisexuality is very common in men's tennis....

random guy
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, I don't know about that, but no it's not mono... it's a badly cured angina that he can get over with.

Update: Both Delpo and Acasusso turned down the offer to play the tie. The most likely candidate to fill in is Vasallo Arguello who's having and ok start of the year. The 1 and 2 players will be Monaco and Chela (Chellini is playing great again after his injury)

vbranis
03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
This sign should be mandatory in all ATP locker rooms.
http://www.horizondatasys.com/files/Images/virus%20sign.jpg

Love Game
03-04-2009, 03:00 AM
I believe that, if asked, del potro should decline to participate. even the argentine fans on this message board have been absolutely merciless in their criticism of delpo. damned him when he did, so let them damn him for not. delpo got argentina to the final in the september semifinal. then, even tho he did his best in the final in november, he was slapped in the face and kicked in the ribs by his fellow argentines for not winning. be afraid, delpo, be very afraid. fool you once, shame on them. fool you twice, shame on you. don't be fooled again.

acasuso is a better choice, anyway, since he's been playing on clay this year and delpo hasn't.

zagor
03-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Bad news,hope Nalbo recovers in time for IW,I was looking forward to watching him play there.Strange that Del Potro declined to play,maybe it's what LG says,maybe he was offended at Argentina's media for blaming him for the loss at DC final last year(if they did blame him,I'm speculating,don't know for sure).

While I think Argentina would have won the final last year if Delpo skipped Paris+TMC he still played a large part in getting Argentina to the final in the first place(I know he won a deciding match against Russia for example,that tie went the distance because Nalbo lost to Kolja)so I don't think he can be blamed that much.

saram
03-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Horrible news. Although totally inconsistent, I really love watching Nalbandian play. Sorry to hear this.

tennis_hand
03-04-2009, 05:15 AM
This Federer guy should stop going around kissing everybody.

u mistaken federer to Beckham who likes to kiss every boy, actually men.

diegaa
03-04-2009, 05:34 AM
man, this argie player only want the glory, but none of the top ones want to play at early stages in DC. It happened before. If the tie was another final, they would definitely go. Only because it's netherlands they skip it. If the captain calls you, you go. It's that simple.
Im very upset.
GO VASALLO ARGUELLO!!! I hope he can play at least a rubber.

random guy
03-04-2009, 07:48 AM
man, this argie player only want the glory, but none of the top ones want to play at early stages in DC. It happened before. If the tie was another final, they would definitely go. Only because it's netherlands they skip it. If the captain calls you, you go. It's that simple.
Im very upset.
GO VASALLO ARGUELLO!!! I hope he can play at least a rubber.

Yeah, that's maybe true of a lot of players, but not of Nalby right? He missed just three ties since 2003. The man's committed.

And LG, as much as I like Delpo (we been through this a million times) he's been a deciding factor in ONE tie. Just that. It was nice, he played great, but don't expect people to build him a statue right besides the obelisk just for that. He opened his mouth a little too much due to inexperience and then he couldn't come up with the goods. Now he turned down the call to play the tie (a couple of weeks ago he said he was available if needed). He didn't come to play and support the Copa Telmex (a lot of people in the organization are mad about this). The guy's focused on his career which is perfect but he's a long way of becoming a DC hero.

And back to the tie, it's still looks good. Pico and Chelita are playing great and Vasallo Arguello is having one of his best start of the year.

Love Game
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Bad news,hope Nalbo recovers in time for IW,I was looking forward to watching him play there.Strange that Del Potro declined to play,maybe it's what LG says,maybe he was offended at Argentina's media for blaming him for the loss at DC final last year(if they did blame him,I'm speculating,don't know for sure).

While I think Argentina would have won the final last year if Delpo skipped Paris+TMC he still played a large part in getting Argentina to the final in the first place(I know he won a deciding match against Russia for example,that tie went the distance because Nalbo lost to Kolja)so I don't think he can be blamed that much.

Actually, I didnt write that that was what had happened. I said it was MY OPINION that he should do that IF AND WHEN he were invited to take nalbo's place (IOW be the team's fifth choice).

IT is not at all clear to me that delpo has at all been invited to be on the DC team. as long as they had nalbo, they apparently didnt want delpo. if those unsupportive argentine fans behave true to form (and why shouldn't they?), they'll simply use delpo as a scapegoat for their loss or blame him if he doesnt devote his entire year and then blame and condemn him if he loses.

This is the difference between Swiss (supportive of fed) fans and Argentine (fickle and condemning of delpo) fans:

"Q: Roger Federer refused to play for the DC. Is this the right decision?

A: It's the right decision for him because he must take care of his body for preventive reasons so that he can have top results for many years to come. Being a DC captain I am sorry that he can't be here but everybody in the team understands his decision."

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3181905&postcount=18

random guy
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Actually, I didnt write that that was what had happened. I said it was MY OPINION that he should do that IF AND WHEN he were invited to take nalbo's place (IOW be the team's fifth choice).

IT is not at all clear to me that delpo has at all been invited to be on the DC team. as long as they had nalbo, they apparently didnt want delpo. if those unsupportive argentine fans behave true to form (and why shouldn't they?), they'll simply use delpo as a scapegoat for their loss or blame him if he doesnt devote his entire year and then blame and condemn him if he loses.

This is the difference between Swiss (supportive of fed) fans and Argentine (fickle and condemning of delpo) fans:

A: It's the right decision for him because he must take care of his body for preventive reasons so that he can have top results for many years to come. Being a DC captain I am sorry that he can't be here but everybody in the team understands his decision."

LG you're most of the time very nice but when it comes to Delpo you starting to behave like those obnoxious Rafa or Roger fans that can't see a fault or even understand completely reasonable criticism. Your post make no sense: how can you compare a statement on a press conference of the DC captain of Switzerland to argentine fans?
And second, you're talking of things you don't know anything about... do you per chance live in Argentina or something, to know what people here think of Delpo?
Third, he was offered to play way in advance of the tie and he refused because he's playing in hardcourts and training in clay for the DC tie would mess up with his preparations for IW and Miami. Then after a week or so, he said that yes, he's gonna be available after all yet when Nalbandian had to pull out he refused to fill in. So who's fickle?

So please stop with the melodrama if you doesn't have anything substantial to back it up. Del Potro has played just six matches in DC (three last year). He's 4-2. He only played one important tie in which he was really decisive. He opened his mouth too wide too soon and then he didn't pull out anybodies underwear but his own. So don't make him some kind of misunderstood hero. Again, I support Delpo mostly because he's from Argentina and because he's likable but he, so far, has focused mainly and foremost in his own career (which is quite logic anyway). The day he reaches the 36 matches played in DC of Nalbandian (27-9) give me a call.

Love Game
03-05-2009, 06:39 AM

LG you're most of the time very nice but when it comes to Delpo you starting to behave like those obnoxious Rafa or Roger fans that can't see a fault or even understand completely reasonable criticism. Your post make no sense: how can you compare a statement on a press conference of the DC captain of Switzerland to argentine fans?
And second, you're talking of things you don't know anything about... do you per chance live in Argentina or something, to know what people here think of Delpo?
Third, he was offered to play way in advance of the tie and he refused because he's playing in hardcourts and training in clay for the DC tie would mess up with his preparations for IW and Miami. Then after a week or so, he said that yes, he's gonna be available after all yet when Nalbandian had to pull out he refused to fill in. So who's fickle?

So please stop with the melodrama if you doesn't have anything substantial to back it up. Del Potro has played just six matches in DC (three last year). He's 4-2. He only played one important tie in which he was really decisive. He opened his mouth too wide too soon and then he didn't pull out anybodies underwear but his own. So don't make him some kind of misunderstood hero. Again, I support Delpo mostly because he's from Argentina and because he's likable but he, so far, has focused mainly and foremost in his own career (which is quite logic anyway). The day he reaches the 36 matches played in DC of Nalbandian (27-9) give me a call.

Sorry, RG, but that's my opinion, and the U.S. Constitution gives me the right to state it in my own country, which this is. As proof of the difference between Swiss (supportive of fed) fans and Argentine (fickle and condemning of delpo) fans, let's see if the number of posts castigating Roger for not even playing in his country's davis cup amounts to even 1/100 of the number of posts by TT members claiming to be argentine and/or "fans" of Delpo, who tore him to shreds for actually playing in the november final (a final that they would not have even been in until Delpo WON the 5th rubber in september), but failing to win.

It's not whether you win or lose, RG, but how you play the game, and Delpo put his body on the line in that final, soooooooo ...

I'll get back to you after I have that calculation

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/im/k.gif

random guy
03-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry, RG, but that's my opinion, and the U.S. Constitution gives me the right to state it in my own country, which this is. As proof of the difference between Swiss (supportive of fed) fans and Argentine (fickle and condemning of delpo) fans, let's see if the number of posts castigating Roger for not even playing in his country's davis cup amounts to even 1/100 of the number of posts by TT members claiming to be argentine and/or "fans" of Delpo, who tore him to shreds for actually playing in the november final (a final that they would not have even been in until Delpo WON the 5th rubber in september), but failing to win.

It's not whether you win or lose, RG, but how you play the game, and Delpo put his body on the line in that final, soooooooo ...

You can make all the opinions you want but you can't make it into facts. Federer played 46 matches so far for Switzerland and won an olympic medal. You think any swiss in his right mind would criticize him? How you can compare him to Delpo who's a newcomer to DC? He's long way to prove he's that committed. So if you want to substantiate your gratuitous opinions on argentine fans search for better data or comparisons.

diegaa
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Take it easy guys.

Underhand
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Sorry

You've lost all your credibility using puke colored Comic Sans text.

NamRanger
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM

He was condemned because he went to go play in Shanghai which could have aggravated his injury even further than it already was. Plus, clearly it was not the toe that was bothering him in the Davis Cup final. He ran out of gas quickly; that's a sign of physical fatigue, which means he put his individual needs above the Davis Cup team's needs.

If you understand how long the Argentinians have been waiting for Davis Cup (and it is huge down there, trust me), you could understand why Del Potro caught alot of flak for what happened. Even Acusoco was putting up a better fight than Del Potro; and he's not even good on indoor carpet.

Love Game
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM

He was condemned . . .

I know for a fact that your username isn't RG, but are you in fact RG?

Love Game
03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Love Game
Sorry

You've lost all your credibility using puke colored Comic Sans text.

Underhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=43595)
Rookie

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=43595&dateline=1226499725 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=43595)

==============

oh me, oh my, oh you.
whatever will I do?
losing credibility to
one as credible as you? :shock:

Love Game
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM

He was condemned because he went to go play in Shanghai which could have aggravated his injury even further than it already was. Plus, clearly it was not the toe that was bothering him in the Davis Cup final. He ran out of gas quickly; that's a sign of physical fatigue, which means he put his individual needs above the Davis Cup team's needs.

You can make all the opinions you want but you can't make it into facts. Federer played 46 matches so far for Switzerland and won an olympic medal. You think any swiss in his right mind would criticize him? How you can compare him to Delpo who's a newcomer to DC? He's long way to prove he's that committed. So if you want to substantiate your gratuitous opinions on argentine fans search for better data or comparisons.

oh thank you. i did already. before you game me "permission."

and you've proved my point for me: all of your condemnation and that of all the other so-called fans just like you who trashed delpo up one side and down the other because he (along with nalbandian in doubles, calleri in doubles, and acasuso in singles) lost a match in the november finals ........ every single one of you has an opinion that is JUST AS valid as mine! :lol:

Do you really not see that??? :cool:

Whether Roger won 46 or 146 has zero "0" to do with whether or not Delpo should put his body on the line again for an ungrateful, hypercritical, scapegoating "fan" base. And it is my opinion that he should not. He got fooled once. Once is enough.

ONCE bitten; twice shy.

It is my opinion that Luthi has it right when he says, "It's the right decision for him because he must take care of his body for preventive reasons so that he can have top results for many years to come." Hellooooooooo!!!!! Juan Martin del Potro's body is JUST AS important to him as Roger's body is to him. Comprende?

Underhand
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
losing credibility to
one as credible as you? :shock:

To anyone who has taste.

Andres
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
and you've proved my point for me: all of your condemnation and that of all the other so-called fans just like you who trashed delpo up one side and down the other because he (along with nalbandian in doubles, calleri in doubles, and acasuso in singles) lost a match in the november finals ........ every single one of you has an opinion that is JUST AS valid as mine! :lol:

Do you really not see that??? :cool:
Nalbandian in doubles lost to a team ranked HIGHER than him
Calleri in doubles lost to a team ranked HIGHER than him
Acasuso in singles lost to a guy ranked HIGHER than him.

Del Potro LOST to a guy ranked LOWER than him. Nalbandian succeded on defending his superior ranking against Ferrer. Del Potro failed to do it.

random guy
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
LG, I don't know why I always get lure into this pointless debate... well I guess flesh is weak. Let's drop it because is impossible to get to some kind of agreement.

But I want to point something on the subject of "opinions". I don't giving you "permission" or anything which of course is ridiculous because who the hell am I? But the thing is that anybody is free to say whatever one wants but once that one said something in a public forum, you have to valid it somehow with some kind of ground (call it facts, statistic, personal taste or whatever kind of standard you use to produce sense). If you just go to the "is my opinion, all opinions are valid, America is a free country" place is impossible to sustain any kind of reasonable dialog.

Love Game
03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
To anyone who has taste.

Underhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=43595)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nos2c.jpg

===>>> exactly my point!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love Game
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
LG, I don't know why I always get lure into this pointless debate... well I guess flesh is weak. Let's drop it because is impossible to get to some kind of agreement.

One of the most significant problems is that you misstated or misunderstood my very first post @
I believe that, if asked, del potro should decline to participate. even the argentine fans on this message board have been absolutely merciless in their criticism of delpo. damned him when he did, so let them damn him for not. delpo got argentina to the final in the september semifinal. then, even tho he did his best in the final in november, he was slapped in the face and kicked in the ribs by his fellow argentines for not winning. be afraid, delpo, be very afraid. fool you once, shame on them. fool you twice, shame on you. don't be fooled again.

that is what i wrote because that is all i know: the argentine fans who have interacted with me on this subject. Not argentines in general. Not argentine tennis fans in general.

obviously, when someone misqotes you or misstates your position, you don't appreciate it, especially when you have taken care to state it plainly and straight out:

First, you insulted me and then you misstated my post as comparing a statement by the DC captain of switzerland to argentine fans, when the only argentine fans I wrote about were those on this message board. Why would you expect me to treat you better than you treat me? That is not the way the world works.

Bottom line: Delpo is equal in importance as a human being to Roger, and his body is just as important as Roger's. Therefore, Juan Martin has just as much right to make decisions for his own career without being criticized as Roger does. Luthi put that sentiment into words.

random guy
03-05-2009, 06:30 PM

The never ending story. Well, first it was you who started the whole Delpo deal in this thread. I just stated the fact that neither Delpo nor Acasusso accepted to fill in for Nalbandian. You started with the whole deal about "fickle" argentinean fans. Then you produced as some kind of example of how fans should behave an statement of the swiss DC captain! (which I'm sure is a fan of Roger lol).
Bottom line, you keep hiding the fact that it was Delpo who put himself in the position in which people expected something of him with the whole "underwear" fiasco. I assumed he did it just without thinking on the heat of the moment but he did anyway made a gamble he couldn't cover. So say whatever you want about Delpo (no, I'm not giving you permission or anything) but if you keep talking about argentinean fans you are bound to keep getting replies from me, that is, an argentinean and a fan.

Love Game
03-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Nalbandian in doubles lost to a team ranked HIGHER than him
Calleri in doubles lost to a team ranked HIGHER than him
Acasuso in singles lost to a guy ranked HIGHER than him.

Del Potro LOST to a guy ranked LOWER than him. Nalbandian succeded on defending his superior ranking against Ferrer. Del Potro failed to do it.

so what? if you know anything about tennis, you know that any player can lose to any other player on any given day, no matter what.

for example: Andy Roddick lost to David Ferrer when the United States played Spain.

by logical parallel to what you wrote:
Roddick LOST to a guy ranked LOWER than him.

But that's where the parallel ends, because the Americans on Talk Tennis did not scapegoat Andy for months and months for trying and losing.

On the other hand, the Argentines with whom I argued on Talk Tennis (and of which you are one) are still scapegoating Juan Martin, badmouthing him for trying and losing.

Delpo got fooled once into thinking he could be a hero for trying. Instead, he became the scapegoat and LITERALLY had insult added to his injury.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, Andres Guazzelli, but
It is my opinion that Delpo should not let himself be fooled again.

Vamos Delpo!
http://i36.tinypic.com/2z7jxw5.gif

edit: IIRC, a lot of bad blood was directed at Delpo for not "planning" his season better. Pfffft!!! 2009 is a new season, Delpo has made his plan, he's sticking to it, and now he's getting badmouthed for that! :shock: Delpo can't win for losing, so he needs to march to the beat of his own drummer ~~ JUST AS ROGER DOES !!!

Love Game
03-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Game http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3181314#post3181314)

that is what i wrote because that is all i know: the argentine fans who have interacted with me on this subject. Not argentines in general. Not argentine tennis fans in general.

obviously, when someone misqotes you or misstates your position, you don't appreciate it, especially when you have taken care to state it plainly and straight out

=================

... it was you who started the whole Delpo deal in this thread. I just stated the fact that neither Delpo nor Acasusso accepted to fill in for Nalbandian. You started with the whole deal about "fickle" argentinean fans.

. . . if you keep talking about argentinean fans you are bound to keep getting replies from me, that is, an argentinean and a fan.

Of course I will keep writing about "the argentine fans on this message board who have been absolutely merciless in their criticism of delpo" because I can prove what you have said by quoting you.

Underhand
03-05-2009, 11:31 PM
===>>> exactly my point!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The pic is a metaphor (if you understand this word), not for aesthetic purposes.

The-Champ
03-06-2009, 03:31 AM
I hope Nalbandian gets better and be in his absolut best physical condition this summer. My only wish this year, (aside from witnessing Rafa winning all 4) is to see a fully fit Nalbandian and Nadal go at it at Roland G.

random guy
03-06-2009, 04:12 AM
so what? if you know anything about tennis, you know that any player can lose to any other player on any given day, no matter what.

for example: Andy Roddick lost to David Ferrer when the United States played Spain.

by logical parallel to what you wrote:
Roddick LOST to a guy ranked LOWER than him.

But that's where the parallel ends, because the Americans on Talk Tennis did not scapegoat Andy for months and months for trying and losing.

On the other hand, the Argentines with whom I argued on Talk Tennis (and of which you are one) are still scapegoating Juan Martin, badmouthing him for trying and losing.

Delpo got fooled once into thinking he could be a hero for trying. Instead, he became the scapegoat and LITERALLY had insult added to his injury.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, Andres Guazzelli, but
It is my opinion that Delpo should not let himself be fooled again.

Vamos Delpo!
http://i36.tinypic.com/2z7jxw5.gif

edit: IIRC, a lot of bad blood was directed at Delpo for not "planning" his season better. Pfffft!!! 2009 is a new season, Delpo has made his plan, he's sticking to it, and now he's getting badmouthed for that! :shock: Delpo can't win for losing, so he needs to march to the beat of his own drummer ~~ JUST AS ROGER DOES !!!

Your making a fool out of yourself darling by saying to Andres "if you know anything about tennis". Andres is one of the most knowedgeable person in this board when it comes to tennis. He has 10k post here that unlike yours are not mostly made out of emoticons but of valuable information.
Then you produce another memorable counter example: Roddick losing to Ferrer ON CLAY. You know, that little orange/red stuff in which spaniards excell and which americans use most of the time to make little roads in their parks.
And for the millionth time... you're not going to adress the fact that I pointed time and time again about Delpo putting the spotlight on himself (and failing) with his defiant words to Nadal?

diegaa
03-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Your making a fool out of yourself darling by saying to Andres "if you know anything about tennis". Andres is one of the most knowedgeable person in this board when it comes to tennis. He has 10k post here that unlike yours are not mostly made out of emoticons but of valuable information.

bueh... andres? saber de tenis??? de basquet habrás querido decir, no??? :roll:

random guy
03-06-2009, 07:40 AM
bueh... andres? saber de tenis??? de basquet habrás querido decir, no??? :roll:

Si, jajaja. Por ahi me excedi ahi. Mejor que ni se entere porque quien lo banca despues :)

Love Game
03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Your making a fool out of yourself . . .

For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

2 Corinthians 12:6

_mats_
03-06-2009, 09:20 PM
oops wrong thread

Andres
03-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Si, jajaja. Por ahi me excedi ahi. Mejor que ni se entere porque quien lo banca despues :)
Shhh shhh, me suben el ego pero me mantendré humilde :D

Love Game
03-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Congratulations to Awesome Argentines!!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/qsw47t.jpg

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=15819

diegaa
03-09-2009, 07:03 AM
vasallo argüello looked awesome. He really played with DC spirit on both days.
Right after the argie double team won, a journalist asked Vasallo wether he was going to play on sunday and Martin replied: "I would play both matches tomorrow if they'd let me. I would play both side of the court if I could!!".
Here's a true commitment....