PDA

View Full Version : Jankovic to win this French Open, perhaps last great shot of a major ever?

anointedone
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I really think this years French Open could be Jankovic's last ever great chance of winning a major. It in theory should be wide open to her this year. The Williams are not great on clay, albeit Serena is still a threat. Sharapova isnt much a threat on clay even healthy, even less so this year. Ivanovic isnt likely to be back to last years spring form by the French Open. The other top Russians are all headcases who cant seem to win the big match. So there is no reason she cant do it this year, and considering her realistically limited talents and skill set, her own surface preferences, that she is likely at the peak of her career now, and the current weakness of the womens field which can only last so long, this might be her last really good shot. Will she do it?

Mick
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
don't know but on paper, it seems that the FO is the easiest of the four grand slam tournaments for jankovic to win

Shaolin
03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Its impossible to predict women's tennis.

Except that if Serena shows up at a major and wants to win, especially if she comes in way out of shape, with no recent match play or training, she will always win it.

anointedone
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Except that if Serena shows up at a major and wants to win, especially if she comes in way out of shape, with no recent match play or training, she will always win it.

Well then that apparently isnt ever the French Open where she hasnt even been to the semis in 6 years now.

soyizgood
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I still think the FO is Safina's to take. Clay isn't pretty and neither is her game. Goes together quite well.

JJ will likely breakdown due to exhaustion far enough to trip up in the semis. JJ only has one reliable weapon and to win majors these days you need at least two weapons.

gj011
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I really think this years French Open could be Jankovic's last ever great chance of winning a major. It in theory should be wide open to her this year. The Williams are not great on clay, albeit Serena is still a threat. Sharapova isnt much a threat on clay even healthy, even less so this year. Ivanovic isnt likely to be back to last years spring form by the French Open. The other top Russians are all headcases who cant seem to win the big match. So there is no reason she cant do it this year, and considering her realistically limited talents and skill set, her own surface preferences, that she is likely at the peak of her career now, and the current weakness of the womens field which can only last so long, this might be her last really good shot. Will she do it?

I voted yes. I still think she is #1 favorite to win FO, but honestly I don't like what I saw from her so far this year. She is trying to change her game, apparently had special training during off season to "add strength", but I don't think it is working for her. She lost some of her speed and didn't improve much in other aspects of the game which was supposedly the goal. She should not try to copy hard hitters. She can't beat Williams sisters, Safina or Ivanovic playing their game. She should stick with what worked for her from USO until the end of the year. Of course she needs to improve serve but adding strength and losing speed is not the answer for her IMO.

Also I don't think it will be her last change. Good chance that she should try to take for sure, but not the last.

Mick
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I voted yes. I still think she is #1 favorite to win FO, but honestly I don't like what I saw from her so far this year. She is trying to change her game, apparently had special training during off season to "add strength", but I don't think it is working for her. She lost some of her speed and didn't improve much in other aspects of the game which was supposedly the goal. She should not try to copy hard hitters. She can't beat Williams sisters, Safina or Ivanovic playing their game. She should stick with what worked for her from USO until the end of the year. Of course she needs to improve serve but adding strength and losing speed is not the answer for her IMO.

Also I don't think it will be her last change. Good chance that she should try to take for sure, but not the last.

that's true. chakvetadze also tried to play like the big hitters and it did not produce the results she wanted. she lost her consistency and dropped down in the ranking.

boredone3456
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Jankovic is probably the Favorite to win the French. Ivanovic's Mojo has been MIA for almost a year now, Venus is no longer a real threat at the french, although one could argue she never was. Sharapova won't be in top form and even then clay is her worst surface, she is unlikely to be a huge threat. Kuznetsova has talent on clay but is a headcase.

Apart from Jankovic the only real contenders I can see for the French this year would be Serena, Dementieva, Safina and maybe Zvonareva. And of those Jankovic in my opinion is the front runner. Serena was bundled out early last year and hasn't had stellar results at the French lately. Dementieva...Well she has been playing well this past year and she has a good clay game, and if her serve didn't constantly let her down I might have her as the favorite, but since her serve has a tendency to crack in late stages of slams I don't know about her. Safina has the game but not the mindset. Zvonareva has been quietly acheiving a lot this past year, but I don't think she is ready to raise a slam trophy. Jankovic has her own problems, but I really think she has the best shot. Although honestly it would not surprise me if a dark horse were to win. I'd keep an eye on Azarenka, Wozniacki and Pennetta.

Cyan
03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Jankovic's biggest threat will be Serena. If Serena decides it is time to win the FO again, she will win it. Doesn't matter anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if the Williams sisters win all the slams this year. All the other women are afraid of them and choke against them. WTA without Sharapova and Henin is a laughing stock...

Ripster
03-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Jankovic is the favourite I would think, she really should have won the tournament last year. She had Ivanovic down and out.

After her, I'd bet on Safina or maybe Venus Williams. Kuznetsova has the potential to beat everyone, but well, it's Kuznetsova. I'd like to see Azarenka do well.

thalivest
03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Jankovic is the favourite I would think, she really should have won the tournament last year. She had Ivanovic down and out.

After her, I'd bet on Safina or maybe Venus Williams. Kuznetsova has the potential to beat everyone, but well, it's Kuznetsova. I'd like to see Azarenka do well.

I agree with all that except for Venus. Venus doesnt have a prayer on clay at this point in her career. She probably wont even make it past the 3rd round this year (she hasnt 3 of the last 4 years after all).

TheTruth
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I like Jankovic and Safina if Serena goes out, but only if Serena goes out out, because we all know she is the bomb!

egn
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I say no becuase I have no favorite for this.

Safina reminds me of Clijisters I will make it to tons of slam finals and lose over and over to my rivals then win one randomly later one and retire and have kids. Serena has shocked me as she is mroe and more involved with tennis this year actually playing a tournament besides Dubai between the AO and Miami and seems to care this year. She brings her best game to slams and I think if she works hard she can probably be a threat, but Jankovic is a better clay courter right now, but she fails still here. Watch out for that girl who upset Venus I think she can do it she reminds of Vicario in so many ways.

anointedone
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

Well I hope I am wrong on the last part of what I said. I do like her and I hope she can win multiple majors if at all possible. I just want to see her get one anyway though so alot of the uncalled for bashing she is the recipient of stops.

That is interesting about what you said about the changes she made in the off season. I think some moderations is good but I also see your concern. I hope she didnt go overboard with the changes. Improving her serve is crucial, with a stronger serve she could have won both the French and U.S Opens last year. However I totally agree with you she should not try to morph into a Williams-type player, she wont beat Serena, Ana, Venus, Maria by just straight out trying to outslug them and nothing else. Best to stick with her main strengths as a player but with some tweaks and improvements in key areas. That is all she needs to really do IMO.

zagor
03-04-2009, 03:00 AM
I don't know if it's her last shot(I hope not but can see the logic in what OP is saying )but I'm with gj011 here,she was often talking how hard she was training in the off season to add more strength(I'm guessing so she could improve her serve or add more pace to her groundies)but she isn't playing on the same level as last year,she really does seem to have lost some speed on court and her defense isn't as top notch like it was last year.

Improving your game is fine but as a player you still shouldn't neglect yout main strenghts and what brought you success in the first place.For JJ it's her speed and defense that are foundation of her game,trying to change her gamep considerably from that won't work,she can't win by blowing or serving people off court,that was never her main strength and never will be.

With all that said,on paper she does look like the favourite for the FO this year but she has to find better form and pick up her game.I'm personally rooting for her to win FO this year.

tintin
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
yes she does have a chance this year but one grass hell no.she does have a chance in NY and maybe in Austrralia

Dementieva
Ivanovic
Safina
Kuznetsova
Zvonareva
Jankovic

Serena

Venus

boredone3456
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't know if it's her last shot(I hope not but can see the logic in what OP is saying )but I'm with gj011 here,she was often talking how hard she was training in the off season to add more strength(I'm guessing so she could improve her serve or add more pace to her groundies)but she isn't playing on the same level as last year,she really does seem to have lost some speed on court and her defense isn't as top notch like it was last year.

Improving your game is fine but as a player you still shouldn't neglect yout main strenghts and what brought you success in the first place.For JJ it's her speed and defense that are foundation of her game,trying to change her gamep considerably from that won't work,she can't win by blowing or serving people off court,that was never her main strength and never will be.

With all that said,on paper she does look like the favourite for the FO this year but she has to find better form and pick up her game.I'm personally rooting for her to win FO this year.

Very well said.

It seems Jankovic, in adding strength, has sacrficed some of her defensive game and speed, hopefully she can find a happy medium between the two.