PDA

View Full Version : Stanford New #1 !

db379
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
From Stanford web page today (03/03)

"Following four wins since the last team rankings were released and riding an 11-1 overall record, the Stanford men's tennis squad overtook Virginia and was named the new No. 1 in the Campbells/ITA College Tennis Rankings today."

Well done guys!

Bash and Crash
03-03-2009, 02:35 PM
great that's all Fedace needed, we will never hear the end of it.

db379
03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
yes that's true :) And so what? Give the guy a break.

Anyway, I'm happy for the guys for reaching #1 spot in 7 years! Waow, they'd gone low but now they are back on track!

woodrow1029
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
great that's all Fedace needed, we will never hear the end of it.
I am completely, totally in shock that there have been a few posts about this already and we haven't heard from Feddie yet. You would think after he hit 10,000 posts today, he would be doubling his efforts to catch BreakPoint.

TourTenor
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I am completely, totally in shock that there have been a few posts about this already and we haven't heard from Feddie yet. You would think after he hit 10,000 posts today, he would be doubling his efforts to catch BreakPoint.
Yeah, my post in this section was deleted. Interesting, as my comments were fairly tame. Oh well. I am sure that the Fedster will be able to give us the "inside scoop" on how "he and the team" reached the top!

JLyon
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
so how the hell does Stanford actually make it to #1 when UVA has not lost yet. Shocked to see Stanford jump from #5 to #1 when teams ahead have not lost, especially UVA.

The Wreck
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
That's ridiculous. There's no way in hell Stanford deserves to bypass UGA and Virginia, especially when they lost to Georgia less than a month ago.

Pathetic ranking system.

Fedace
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Men's Tennis Earns No.1 Ranking For First Time Since 2002. Headline looks beautiful,,, doesn't it ? Anyway, i just congratulated Coach Whitlinger on his achievement. WELL, deserved indeed.

http://www.itatennis.com/AboutITA/News/Northwestern_StanfordclaimtopspotsinCampbell_ITACo llegeTennisRankings.htm

AndrewD
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Men's Tennis Earns No.1 Ranking For First Time Since 2002. WELL, deserved indeed

Correction, Stanford is RANKED #1, but they didn't EARN it or DESERVE it. In order to do that they need to beat Georgia and UVA. Whitlinger mightn't be much of a coach but he knows and the players know that, at best, they're only the #3 team.

1. UVA
2. Georgia
3. Stanford
4. Ohio State.

10isplayer
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
i agree that stanford shouldn't be ahead of virginia and UGA but I heard somewhere that these rankings were done on a computer system as oppose to a coaches poll which is what I think is what they had before. But you have to admit Stanford did have a great weekend beating UCLA and USC. Maybe these two wins helped their strength of wins or some crap like that. One thing is for sure it should be a very very interesting May NCAA tournament. The whole thing is gonna be without an overwhelming favorite in individuals and team.

Fedace
03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Correction, Stanford is RANKED #1, but they didn't EARN it or DESERVE it. In order to do that they need to beat Georgia and UVA. Whitlinger mightn't be much of a coach but he knows and the players know that, at best, they're only the #3 team.

1. UVA
2. Georgia
3. Stanford
4. Ohio State.

From your argument, Stanford should be behind Ohio state as well.

reesespiecestennis
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Fedace bring your boys to c-ville and we'll show you who is number 1. Go hoos!

ClarkC
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
The ranking system has been explained on the UVa tennis board. A concise summary is this:

The initial computer ranking uses the final poll ranking as its starting basis. So, Stanford has wins over certain teams that had certain rankings LAST WEEK. Virginia has wins over other teams that had certain rankings LAST WEEK. Stanford's wins were over higher ranked opponents according to the inaccurate poll-based rankings, which boosts their computer ranking.

However, if you look at the computer rankings, Stanford's opponents are no longer ranked higher, on average, than the teams that Virginia beat. So, if neither team even played a match this week (and Virginia is on spring break), next week's computer poll would put Virginia ahead of Stanford again, because it would use the first computer rankings as its basis for strength of schedule.

In other words, if the ITA just ran the computer ranking program over and over until it reached a "fixed point" (computer lingo there) the ranking would not have to wait a week to get straightened out.

This post (http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/tennis/2009/March/3/26609.php) from the Virginia board explains some details. You also might want to check the score comparison (http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/tennis/2009/March/3/26617.php) between Virginia and Stanford and draw your own conclusions.

TourTenor
03-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Stanford has some tough matches coming up against Baylor, UCLA and USC. We'll see if these teams are healthy and whether the Cardinal is up to the task. Look for plenty of "they're going to dominate" posts by "Standford Cardinals" #1 fan ... the Fedster.:rolleyes:

AndrewD
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
From your argument, Stanford should be behind Ohio state as well.

I'm being very, very generous.

Of course, on the flip side, Stanford women drop to #13 - almost certainly the lowest ranking they've had in a decade. They also have no player in the top 10 for singles or doubles - two other things that haven't occurred for the past decade.

Time to face facts - Stanford's success is totally dictated by the admissions officer. Coaches aren't good enough to lift and inspire players to greater heights. As a result, if they don't get the cream of the crop they don't know what to do.

baseliner87
03-08-2009, 04:06 AM
nice congrats

ClarkC
03-10-2009, 05:52 PM
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if the ITA ran their computer rankings until they reach a fixed point, Stanford would never have been #1. But I hope they enjoyed their week at #1.

Without any significant matches, now that Stanford and Virginia and everyone else have had their wins reevaluated based on the computer rankings of their opponents, Virginia is #1 again. Stanford drops to #2 and Ole Miss jumps to #3 based on a couple of SEC wins, including an upset of Georgia.

See the latest team rankings (http://www.itatennis.com/AwardsAndRankings/Rankings/2008-09_DI_Men_s_Rankings/DI_Men_National_Rankings_3_10_09.htm).

Fedace
03-10-2009, 06:06 PM
So what. Stanford always knew they weren't the true #1. big deal. they had a great weekend at USC and UCLA and they were rewarded with a #1 ranking. albeit short lived. Mid-season rankings are good for novelty sakes and it is called feel good ranking.

woodrow1029
03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
So what. Stanford always knew they weren't the true #1. big deal. they had a great weekend at USC and UCLA and they were rewarded with a #1 ranking. albeit short lived. Mid-season rankings are good for novelty sakes and it is called feel good ranking.
OH MY GOD! I am shocked. That sort of made sense.

andfor
03-11-2009, 06:22 AM

Why are you letting sensability and logic get in the way now?

jaggy
03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Further down the rankings my Indiana Hoosiers go 2-0 beating 2 teams ranked above them, Northwestern and #19 Wisconsin. And in the dubs we had 4 freshmen and 2 sophomores then in singles one freshman was replaced by another freshman for 4 and 2 split again. And the Northwestern coach is a *****. Next year top 10 and in 2 years challenging with Ohio State for top in ******* then nationally.

jaggy
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Those censors made no sense to me

ClarkC
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Those censors made no sense to me

You used the word M-I-D-W-E-S-T. There is a competitor in online tennis equipment sales with that name. To prevent posting references to sales items at competitors, Tennis Warehouse censors such words. Understandable but rather annoying, because there is no way to do it intelligently.

I have no idea what the first word was. Coach is a *****?

Fedace
03-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Further down the rankings my Indiana Hoosiers go 2-0 beating 2 teams ranked above them, Northwestern and #19 Wisconsin. And in the dubs we had 4 freshmen and 2 sophomores then in singles one freshman was replaced by another freshman for 4 and 2 split again. And the Northwestern coach is a *****. Next year top 10 and in 2 years challenging with Ohio State for top in ******* then nationally.

who is this guy that plays #1 for Northwestern ? He has some good wins this year.

pricey_aus
03-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Is it hard to get into the Stanford tennis team?

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes
10char...

TourTenor
03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Yes, contrary to one pretend poster here, you need to have top grades, excellent test results and far beyond 6th grade English capabilities to be considered for Stanford.

SoCal10s
03-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Yes
10char...

woodrow1029: I have a question for you... . thanks

JLyon
03-12-2009, 08:37 AM
woodrow1029: I have a question for you... I was at a tennis match,this kid was standing in the service box of his partner and stepping into the partners side of the return court ,which i thought is not permitted to do ,he was always straddling or at times standing in his partner's service box..is this legal ?? to do within the USTA rules?... thanks

It is not legal in ITA tennis, first is a warning then falls into the code if they do not heed the warning.

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
10char.....

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by SoCal10s http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3202245#post3202245)
woodrow1029: I have a question for you... I was at a tennis match,this kid was standing in the service box of his partner and stepping into the partners side of the return court ,which i thought is not permitted to do ,he was always straddling or at times standing in his partner's service box..is this legal ?? to do within the USTA rules?... thanks

JLyon is correct that in collegiate tennis it is not allowed.

However, in USTA Tennis, it is legal. Receiver and partner may stand wherever they wish.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Lets just say.... You know Tiger Woods? He only lasted a year on their golf team- And tennis team is more select:)

But semi-stalkers and pretend fans? From what I've seen on this board, they let anyone do that.

SoCal10s
03-12-2009, 09:58 AM
JLyon is correct that in collegiate tennis it is not allowed.

However, in USTA Tennis, it is legal. Receiver and partner may stand wherever they wish.

would you know the code that stats this? it was a high school match and I'm sure I was right but the coach who is a USPTA guy says I'm wrong because the kid is not moving... I told him that the player cannot encroach on the partner's side of the court before the serve..

JLyon
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
would you know the code that stats this? it was a high school match and I'm sure I was right but the coach who is a USPTA guy says I'm wrong because the kid is not moving... I told him that the player cannot encroach on the partner's side of the court before the serve..
s Woodrow said in USTA there is no rule against the receivers partner standing in the box. Now if the receiver is in the box looking like a fool, then it could constitute a hindrance. But USTA has no rule against stepping into the service box.

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
From the USTA Friend at Court,

Case 5: In doubles, where are the server’s partner and receiver’s partner
allowed to stand?
Decision: The server’s partner and the receiver’s partner may take any position
on their own side of the net, inside or outside the court. However, if a player
is creating a hindrance to the opponent(s), the hindrance rule should be used.

I haven't worked any high school matches since I moved to CA, so I don't know what the CA High School rule book says, but, if it doesn't specify, it would default to the USTA rule above.

SoCal10s
03-12-2009, 10:08 AM
s Woodrow said in USTA there is no rule against the receivers partner standing in the box. Now if the receiver is in the box looking like a fool, then it could constitute a hindrance. But USTA has no rule against stepping into the service box.

stepping into the box is merely to distract and its a ploy ,but is it legal or not legal not saying it's a distraction ... I know it's no legal to purposely distract,but if they are doing it,they are not going to admit the purpose is to distract...

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
stepping into the box is merely to distract and its a ploy ,but is it legal or not legal not saying it's a distraction ... I know it's no legal to purposely distract,but if they are doing it,they are not going to admit the purpose is to distract...
Are they moving while the server is serving, or are they stepping into the box before the server starts and staying there?

SoCal10s
03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
From the USTA Friend at Court,

Case 5: In doubles, where are the serverís partner and receiverís partner
allowed to stand?
Decision: The serverís partner and the receiverís partner may take any position
on their own side of the net, inside or outside the court. However, if a player
is creating a hindrance to the opponent(s), the hindrance rule should be used.

I haven't worked any high school matches since I moved to CA, so I don't know what the CA High School rule book says, but, if it doesn't specify, it would default to the USTA rule above.

this doesn't make it clear if the net-person opponent can stand in the service box as it a hinderance or not... can you explain it better?

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 10:13 AM
this doesn't make it clear if the net-person opponent can stand in the service box as it a hinderance or not... can you explain it better?

Are they moving while the server is serving, or are they stepping into the box before the server starts and staying there?

SoCal10s
03-12-2009, 10:14 AM

slight swaying then stepping away,out of the service box,as the server goes into motion...

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 10:16 AM
slight swaying then stepping away,out of the service box,as the server goes into motion...
If they are moving during the serve, then yes, it could be a hindrance. You are allowed to feint or sway your body, but you can't change position. It is legal to stand in the service box during the serve, but must remain stationary during the service motion.

SoCal10s
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
If they are moving during the serve, then yes, it could be a hindrance. You are allowed to feint or sway your body, but you can't change position. It is legal to stand in the service box during the serve, but must remain stationary during the service motion.

WOW thank you,I guess I'm telling my player to serve at that person's body then ... no other around this BS...

woodrow1029
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
WOW thank you,I guess I'm telling my player to serve at that person's body then ... no other around this BS...
That's the best strategy! :-)

jaggy
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Northwestern # 1 is Marc Dwyer? He played 1 here but got soundly beaten. The NW coach threw a tantrum that was as pathetic as Ive seen.

SoCal10s
03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
That's the best strategy! :-)

yes a bad one at that,why can't USTA implement a code to stop this, so fight don't flair up.. it's obvious that there is no strategic plan by stepping into the service box or onto the server's return side of the court,it's done merely to distract or disrupt the server's attention .. maybe you can mention this to the rules governing committee and get this kind of BS out of tennis..get everyone on the same page,as tennis was once a gentleman's sport...

ClarkC
03-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Northwestern # 1 is Marc Dwyer? He played 1 here but got soundly beaten. The NW coach threw a tantrum that was as pathetic as Ive seen.

Where does "here" refer to?

jaggy
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Where does "here" refer to?

Indiana , sorry it made sense to me lol

Fedace
03-14-2009, 04:36 PM

what was the reason for the temper tantrum by the coach ?

Lendl's Forehand
03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
I watch them sometimes and they are not only good, but very young obviously. And get better and younger next year. Top 3 are So Fr Fr

jaggy
03-16-2009, 07:50 AM
what was the reason for the temper tantrum by the coach ?

Mixture of line calls (both teams got those), defeat by a team of mostly freshmen and I guess his inability to show any class whatsoever.

F bombs and throwing stuff around while kids watched isnt all that manly IMHO.