PDA

View Full Version : almagro best 1hbh

bjk
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm watching a replay of Almagro/Monfils, and Almagro has a gorgeous one hand backhand. I;m thinking it's a better stroke than Federer and Gasquet and Ljubicic and Haas, the other players with premier one hand backhands.

Anyone disagree, Almagro has best one hand backhand? He can crush the ball with topspin in a way that I don't remember Federer or Gasquet hitting a backhand.

federerdomination
03-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Better than Gasquet's? No. Gasquet can definitely crush the ball. Maybe u were watching him in an off day.

JeMar
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I dunno, it's pretty hard to top Gasquet in that department. The backhands of Gasquet and the other players you mentioned hold up a little better in fast surfaces, whereas Almagro's does not.

NandoMania
03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Alamagro's is nice, but Gasquet can do it in more ways (more variety), IMO

ESP#1
03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
He def has a better forehand than Gasquet but backhand...........nah I don't think so. It is a great shot and def worth mentioning. I think if almagro had better movement he'd be in the top 5

bjk
03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I agree Almagro doesn't seem to handle pace well . . . he likes to tee off, not play defense. But he seems to be able to hit angles that I haven't seen the others hit.

Sentinel
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I love Gasquets bh, but doesn't he stand too far back taking the ball late. That does make the one hander easier (lower height, more time to prepare).

Does Almag take the ball early ?

matchmaker
03-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I saw the match you are talking about.

Yes, Almagro has a spectacular BH, he can take it early and really crush it. Some of the shots he played that day were really ridiculous.

tacou
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
obviously on a day where he's winning a tournament over the top seed it's gonna look pretty nice, but in general richie's got the best and pretttttiest

ericwong
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I do not know whether you guys/gals notice, he has to bandage his wrist. I guess he used a lot of wrist for his BH , to generate that acute angle. Guess its the price to pay for that spectacular stroke he possesses

DunlopDood
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
He has a great stroke, but if one has the proper amount of time to set up for a one hander, then the Tommy Haas stroke if the way it should be hit.

maverick66
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
i like Kohlschreiber one hander the best of all the one handers. that thing is just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-oO7s77j-0&feature=related

Tempest344
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
its good but gasquet's is better
Alamgro's is more of a clay courter style backhand...like robredo's...heavy spin and average to good depth

welcome2petrkordaland
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
i agree with the idea that gasquet, haas, fed, etc. have good ones, too, but i have to say almagro's one hander looked delicious in that final. he hit down the line rippers and highly acute crosscourt winners from the back of the court against one of the fastest, most athletic players on tour in monfils. absolutely nasty backhands (and forehands for that matter . . . heck his serve was even blazing).

paulorenzo
03-04-2009, 02:03 AM
almagro doesn't have the best 1hbh.
his stroke is very agressive. he hits deep and hard even from way behind the baseline and when changing things up during a rally, i'll give him that.
that's where it ends though. aside from mexico, this past week, he normally does not posses the clutch that federer and gasquet have when the pressure is on.

players like almagro & kohlschreiber have great offensive backhands during rallies and can finish points with them, but they cannot seem to pull passing shots on the fly like federer and gasquet.
almagro doesn't have the versatility off of the backhand wing of gasquet or fed.
almagro cannot set up points as effectively as roger with their respective backhands.
gasquet can outhit almagro form the backhand side in the backcourt: keep in mind, in mexico, almagro was hitting with monfils, not the biggest of powerhouses off the backhand wing, by a mile.

mawashi
03-04-2009, 03:58 AM
I think that with the talent this young player has, Grigor Dimitrov has the potential to have a really super 1hbh.

mawashi

tennislover33
03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Guga's one hbh was the most awesome one.

tintin
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
yes Almagro has a nice 1 hander but best? no way!

Almago is nothing but a pure dirtballer unlike Gasquet

Breaker
03-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I concur, along with Gasquet possibly the best one handed backhand.

P_Agony
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
It's good, but I'd take Gasquet's and Federer's 1HBH any day. Not sure about Haas, Wawrinka, and Kohlschreiber.

vandre
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I agree Almagro doesn't seem to handle pace well . . . he likes to tee off, not play defense. But he seems to be able to hit angles that I haven't seen the others hit.

i agree, some of the angles he hit were incredible!

thejoe
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd take Wawrinka's bh over Federer's.

Cl1ntrock
03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
HAAS one hander is sweet..

i dont like this almagro kid due 2 a few resons i wont talk about..
i saw him do some weird stuff in spain...all behind closed doors..
Y i thought..???ohhh ok he had a title 2 defend...OHHH and he defended last week...i wasnt surprised...cheat when u need 2!!!

dont like him

SoBad
03-04-2009, 03:16 PM
top 5:

1. dimitrov
2. stakhovsky
3. gasquet
4. golubev
5. bolleli/cipolla

oneguy21
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes, I'm willing to say his one-handed backhand is the best on the tour. He get's so much pace and spin. It's certainly not better than Gasquet's by a long shot, but in any case it's still slightly better IMO.

He seems to handle high balls quite well unlike Federer who struggles with high balls to his backhand especially on clay. Anyone recall how well he handled Nadal's forehand to his backhand at the RG '08 1/4 finals?

Gorecki
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm watching a replay of Almagro/Monfils, and Almagro has a gorgeous one hand backhand. I;m thinking it's a better stroke than Federer and Gasquet and Ljubicic and Haas, the other players with premier one hand backhands.

Anyone disagree, Almagro has best one hand backhand? He can crush the ball with topspin in a way that I don't remember Federer or Gasquet hitting a backhand.

yes.. Almagro for Goat now, before the 30 minutes expire and a new future goat arrives for the next 30 minutes!

Breaker
03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes, I'm willing to say his one-handed backhand is the best on the tour. He get's so much pace and spin. It's certainly not better than Gasquet's by a long shot, but in any case it's still slightly better IMO.

He seems to handle high balls quite well unlike Federer who struggles with high balls to his backhand especially on clay. Anyone recall how well he handled Nadal's forehand to his backhand at the RG '08 1/4 finals?

He somewhat has an excuse for that quarterfinal and why he played like utter ***** (besides Nadal's terrific form last year, of course). He went on to have wrist surgery a short while after that match which shows that he wasn't all there. He didn't handle anything well in that match such as his own serve, forehand, movement, anything, dreadful there. When he's playing somewhat well he can take the ball early and handle it high to his backhand, it's a great shot but he can be a bit erratic when he gets into his mood of hitting everything at 225 kph.

yes.. Almagro for Goat now, before the 30 minutes expire and a new future goat arrives for the next 30 minutes!

You are correct, the GOAT does change every 30 minutes between Hewitt, Berdych, and Almagro, it is a very delicate balance and cycle that may never be avoided.

JediMindTrick
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Not only his backhand but also his forehand was on fire. If he would play like this all the time he would be in the top 5.

christinamaniac7
03-06-2009, 08:16 AM
What about grigor dimitrov?? despite being 17 he has a better 1HBBH than many older pros !!

and of course i don't see kohlschreiber's BH in the same class with gasquet,wawrinka,fed,almagro,robredo or haas!! kohli's best day was the match w/roddick but since then i haven't seen him in the same mood ...

christinamaniac7
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
top 5:

1. dimitrov
2. stakhovsky
3. gasquet
4. golubev
5. bolleli/cipolla

Stakhovsky !!!!????? i saw him match w/murray in dubai and i have to say his BH is terrible! after 2 or 3 times hitting BH he misfired most of his BHs ... :confused:

SoBad
03-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Stakhovsky !!!!????? i saw him match w/murray in dubai and i have to say his BH is terrible! after 2 or 3 times hitting BH he misfired most of his BHs ... :confused:

His backhand is really really good, trust me. The problem is, he hasn't been playing well against Murray these past couple of years. But the irony is that he is actually much better than Murray, and used to own him in h2h in the juniors completely, from what I understand.

From what I know, they were actually really close friends on the jr tour, like best friends almost. Until Stakhovsky started dominating Murray in tennis that is. Murray couldn't stand it, so he started getting nasty about it. And Stakhovsky felt like friendship was more important, so he would play down a little bit to let Murray win here and there. And that's how Murray got confident and eventually became ranked No. 4. So now you can understand why Stakhovsky doesn't look that good these days when playing against Murray brothers.