PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is a Top 250 Junior Player?

Z-Man
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I've got to play a kid in a tournament this weekend who is ranked around 250 nationally in the 18 and under division. He doesn't have a USA League record, so I don't know what to expect, but he's done well in junior tournaments.

Anyone know how good this kid should be? I'm a decent 4.5, but I find that younger players are sometimes easier to beat even if they have excellent strokes. Would he be a 4.5? 5.0?

I can remember getting pummeled by top juniors in high school, but I was around a 3.5 then, so I can't really guage how good they were.

Thanks

tykrum
03-03-2005, 02:09 PM
He should be a 5.0 or a 5.5.

lemurballs
03-03-2005, 05:27 PM
The #5 national Boys 12 and under plays around here, and that little kid is a beast.

Kaptain Karl
03-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow! Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

- KK

Z-Man
03-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys--I hope he's not better than 5.0. Fortunately, the match will be on clay, which tends to expose a younger player's lack of patience. But if he's a strong 5.0 or better, it could get ugly. I'll let you know how it goes...

lemurballs
03-04-2005, 06:00 AM
We'll know by the pics you post. If you're covered in clay, we'll know what went down.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-04-2005, 11:34 AM
I have played with the girl 15 years old who is going to become PRO tennis player. She is training 5 days a week 3-4 hours a day. She beat me 6:1, 6:1.

I don't know will it help u anyhow because I don't know my gradation- I don't live in USA. Anyhow my experience is 4 years.

By the way can anybody explain what do numbers like x.y mean and how are they determined. Also what is a number corresponding to a PRO level?

Z-Man
03-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Ouch! The kid destroyed me. He was 5.0--5.5. More details later, I've got to go back this morning for the rest of the tournament...

goober
03-06-2005, 04:41 AM
Ouch! The kid destroyed me. He was 5.0--5.5. More details later, I've got to go back this morning for the rest of the tournament...

Were you playing in an open level tourney? That's pretty tough if you are a 4.5.

bc-05
03-06-2005, 05:15 AM
seriously how good is someone like michaella krajicek or kirilenko? u know those youngens.. i doubt they could hit harder than me but how the hell they are better?

Aykhan Mammadov
03-06-2005, 07:56 AM
bc-05, read my post No 7.

Power Game
03-06-2005, 08:18 AM
seriously how good is someone like michaella krajicek or kirilenko? u know those youngens.. i doubt they could hit harder than me but how the hell they are better?

Is this a serious question? Kirilenko is an excellent player (my favorate WTA player) and she has alot of game.

Z-Man
03-06-2005, 05:17 PM
The kid is 16, and he beat a 5.0 player 6-1, 6-1 in the finals of the open division. I'm a 4.5, but I played open too just for fun (and it was a blast!). I found out he attends the Van Der Meer tennis academy on Hilton Head. I do drills there when I'm on vacation, and I've seen the kids practicing. I've always wanted to try them out, so I guess I finally got my chance. He was awesome and it was fun playing him, but it was a bit humbling getting smoked by a 16 year old kid. The lesson here--steer clear of those tennis academy kids!

bc-05
03-07-2005, 04:23 AM
i know game wise kirilenko would smoke us badly.. im talking about pace wise.. shouldnt we be hitting harder than them?

Z-Man
03-07-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure--I've seen 110lb 16 year old girls at the tennis academy crushing the ball. You might be able to hit harder on a short ball when you flatten it out, but they can consistently hit harder and deeper with more spin. I could hit as hard as the 5.5+ kid I played, but he could do it on every shot--even when out of position. A pro girl would run you from corner to corner so hard, you'd have trouble getting anything on the ball. You might crank a few when you're trading forehands in the warmup, but unless you're a strong 5.0+, you'd find yourself sucking wind pretty fast. Also, at that level, they don't suffer from mental lapses or poor shot selection. The kid I played was cool as a cucumber.

Also, keep in mind that even if you hit hard, they can return your hard shot deep and make you caugh up a short ball....

matchpoints
03-07-2005, 06:21 AM
I was watching the #1 12's girl play the other day and. trust me on this one, she hits the ball pretty hard. It's fun to watch her play boys and watching the boys trying to out power her only to get outpowered. Girls can be a pain to play with especially the ones that hit flat corner to corner.
The #1 10's boy probably hits harder groundstrokes then most people here on the board. Hitting hard in tennis is more about skills and timing then muscle.

bc-05
03-09-2005, 01:37 AM
must be american.. in australia pfft.. the number #1 under 16s cant generate power for *****.. i mean look at hewitt he's australian.. have u seen him in real life? in terms of groundstrokes trust me on this i can hit harder than him consistently (maybe not as consistent as him like he could hit them with eyes closed i could probably get 8/10) but pwoahh that guy u shouldve seen him i saw dent hit those volleys to the corner (one of those shots that if we do it in our match all the chix wouldve came and cheer) hewitt was like jogging and did a topspin lob with ease... i've seen him hit a 128mph serve.. but on that same court the radar gun timed me at 124.. well thats close to 200kph.. theyre not that big hitter just fast runner.. like in div 1 tennis i would end the point with 2 of my forehands.. but those pros use that kind of forehand as their usual stroke..

matchpoints
03-09-2005, 02:01 AM
must be american....

You are correct. Isn't it a stereotype that Americans like to end points ASAP? Maybe that's why I overhit so much....into the fence ;)

bc-05
03-09-2005, 02:14 AM
dude it looks more macho.. u should see the juniors here in australia.. pwoahh at least u can play 4 sets in 2 hrs.. here its like 1 normal 3 set match going for like 3 hrs

AndrewD
03-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Its not actually the juniors but I once umpired a match between Anders Jarryd and the top State grade pennant player in Victoria first round of the Aus Open. Aussies will have a good idea of how high State grade standard is but its not far off tour standard and the guy had come out on top of the Satellite tournament series that year.
He was all over Jarryd for pace of shot but Jarryd beat him 60 61 60 because, although it didnt hit as hard, almost every one of his shots passed barely an inch over the net and hit smack on the baseline (or wherever else he decided to hit it). Perfect lesson that at the professional level its not so much about pure power but a combination of how hard you can hit it while still retaining pin-point control.
I also got the distinct impression that a lot of these guys never hit the ball as hard as they can. They hit is as hard as they can control it which is a lesson most all club players should learn.

bc-05
03-09-2005, 03:31 AM
i doubt sharapova even think that.. geez with that scream.. if i was to generate that much energy on my shot.. id probably be hitting at andy's pace.. but i doubt none will go in the court.. it will probably end up 50 yards behind the baseline

matchpoints
03-09-2005, 11:12 PM
I just like to spank it wherever it goes. It's time to start playing smarter from now on and stop giving lal those free points away eh?

bewmson
03-11-2005, 04:04 PM
What was the junior player's name...the one who is a van der meer.
Good experience for you. :-)

Z-Man
03-11-2005, 05:17 PM
His name is Alexander Emery. He's from Alabama. Nice kid--great player. I wish I could play with people at that level more often--it would improve my game. It was fun...

35ft6
03-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Wow, that must have been fun.