PDA

View Full Version : If Sharapova vs. Chang, who would win?

Ethan04
03-03-2005, 12:49 PM
who would win?

Rabbit
03-03-2005, 12:53 PM
This is a joke, right?

Kirko
03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
if she played Chang now while in retirement Chang would "dust" her no probs.

jpsigchi
03-03-2005, 12:58 PM
LOL, I love jokes.

Datacipher
03-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Ethan, to answer your other question, do any pros visit this board? Threads like this as well as any number of other threads here would undoubtedly convince them not to be interested in anything said here!

Rabbit
03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
But Datacipher...pros could find out how to beat each other by reading here....

arosen
03-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I am 100% sure that Fed draws inspiration from this board, I mean, how could he not? So, we should congrat ourselves on a job well done, he is back to winning everything he enters...

eagle
03-03-2005, 01:53 PM
They probably camp out in the Tennis Instructions forum to tweak their game right? :)

r,
eagle

alan-n
03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
You have got to be kidding... Chang may not seem overpowering, that is because he is playing against the hardest hitters, with the most spin on the planet. You may think his shots seem weak in the mens game, against anything less than the best men in the game he could easily flatten his shots out and over power anyone else even in retirement.

Kevin Patrick
03-03-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm trying to decide if this or the "How much better would Federer be if he started playing at age 3?" thread is the dumbest thread of the day.

TheNatural
03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Steffi Graf in retirement would beat Sharapova too.

snowpuppy
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Maybe pro's do come to this forum to see threads like these to get a good laugh.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Sharapova's father can definetly beat everybody.

Rickson
03-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Didn't a 10 years retired Yannich Noah defeat Justine Henin-Herdenne while she was the world's number 1 in an exhibition match? Chang in his playing days would have given Sharapova a double bagel, 6-0, 6-0.

thejackal
03-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Sharapova's father can definetly beat everybody.

ROFL this is the funniest thing i've heard today!

Kaptain Karl
03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Good grief!!!!

Charlie Owens could beat Sharapova today. (Charlie played in the mid-70s. I think the best he ever did in a Major was the Quarters at Forest Hills. Charlie's a good ol' boy.)

- KK

Phil
03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
But Datacipher...pros could find out how to beat each other by reading here....

In fact, Rabbit, in the "Tennis Press", Federer's defeat at the AO was widely attributed to the fact that he was "off" the TW Boards for 4 days prior to the final, hence, missing out on key information which would have enabled him to defeat his opponent.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Phil, those days coincided with those when I was off the forum and I couldn't advise him what to do.

Phil
03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Phil, those days coincided with those when I was off the forum and I couldn't advise him what to do.

Aykhan - Given Fed's reliance on your knowledge of the game, I'm guessing he has you on retainer now? And he must have given you a special cell phone on which only he can call, day or night...

nkhera1
03-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Chang in his prime would win easily. Its not like he was a bad player and he would frusrate Maria because he would return everything and its not like she could exactly overpower him such as others could. Also Sharapova's first serve is kinda the equivalent to some professional mens second serve.

nkhera1
03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Aykhan - Given Fed's reliance on your knowledge of the game, I'm guessing he has you on retainer now? And he must have given you a special cell phone on which only he can call, day or night...

He has Ahykan on his sidekick and vise verca. :mrgreen:

ragnaROK
03-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Now what about Chang vs Steffi??

lemurballs
03-03-2005, 05:37 PM
men are better than women, period.

::runs::

BreakPoint
03-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know about this and I wouldn't be so sure to jump the gun and say Chang will definitely win or not. Chang did play Brad Gilbert in an exhibition set at last years Siebel Open. Guess who won? Gilbert won 6-4. Pretty embarassing for Chang considering that he had only been off the pro tour for a couple of months at that point and Gilbert had been off the pro tour for TEN YEARS!! And I think Gilbert is at least ten years older than Chang to boot!

alan-n
03-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't know about this and I wouldn't be so sure to jump the gun and say Chang will definitely win or not. Chang did play Brad Gilbert in an exhibition set at last years Siebel Open. Guess who won? Gilbert won 6-4. Pretty embarassing for Chang considering that he had only been off the pro tour for a couple of months at that point and Gilbert had been off the pro tour for TEN YEARS!! And I think Gilbert is at least ten years older than Chang to boot!

You forget that Brad was still coaching and hitting just about everday. Chang didn't bother picking up a racket for two months. Try not playing for two months and see how much practice it takes to get your timing and rythm back.

wolfpackfive
03-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Chang would beat her like a rented mule.

Federer Admirer
03-03-2005, 07:39 PM
chang def sharapova 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0 6-0
waste of time, money and space :mrgreen:

rommil
03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Maybe we are talking about Betty?

BreakPoint
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
You forget that Brad was still coaching and hitting just about everday. Chang didn't bother picking up a racket for two months. Try not playing for two months and see how much practice it takes to get your timing and rythm back.

Hitting everyday is not nearly the same thing as playing competitive matches everyday against the toughest competition in the world on the pro tour.

I can hit everyday for ten years after which I'll still lose a real match to a tough competitor who knows how to play matches. BTW, I usually play better after a long layoff like two months. When I play everyday, I get burned out and usually start playing like crap.

Let's face it, Chang should have never lost to Gilbert. Gilbert wasn't even on the senior tour as far as I know. He might not have played a real match against another pro for over ten years. He's also ten years older than Chang with ten year older legs. Gilbert is in his mid-40's. If Chang could lose to Gilbert, a guy like John McEnroe should be able to clean his clock, even now. Pretty embarrasing for Chang IMHO. Calling it quits on the pro tour was definitely the right decision for him.

Phil
03-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Hitting everyday is not nearly the same thing as playing competitive matches everyday against the toughest competition in the world on the pro tour.

I can hit everyday for ten years after which I'll still lose a real match to a tough competitor who knows how to play matches. BTW, I usually play better after a long layoff like two months. When I play everyday, I get burned out and usually start playing like crap.

Let's face it, Chang should have never lost to Gilbert. Gilbert wasn't even on the senior tour as far as I know. He might not have played a real match against another pro for over ten years. He's also ten years older than Chang with ten year older legs. Gilbert is in his mid-40's. If Chang could lose to Gilbert, a guy like John McEnroe should be able to clean his clock, even now. Pretty embarrasing for Chang IMHO. Calling it quits on the pro tour was definitely the right decision for him.

Big deal, he lost to Gilbert in an exhibition. I'm no Michael Chang fan, but I do know that he won a Major and 30-something tournaments, and was ranked #2 in 1996. So I believe his record is significantly more impressive than Gilbert's-where and when it counts. Give me a break.

nkhera1
03-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Also chang relied on speed more than most other player so as he gets older that starts to leave, its not like Chang can then start to rely on his powerful serve or anything like that. Also I think Brad Gilbert practiced with Andy Roddick while he was still his coach so he probably wasn't too rusty.

alan-n
03-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Also chang relied on speed more than most other player so as he gets older that starts to leave, its not like Chang can then start to rely on his powerful serve or anything like that. Also I think Brad Gilbert practiced with Andy Roddick while he was still his coach so he probably wasn't too rusty.

No kidding here. There is a big difference between hitting with club players and hitting with touring pros..... Brad was hitting with Andy on daily basis and was used to the pace and dishing out heavy shots. Any one who takes an extended layoff expecially at the pro pace will be rustier than crap. Its simply unbelievable the amount of work required to maintain the timing and pace of the pro game. At this point it is rediculous to criticize anyone based on an exibition match.

BreakPoint
03-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Big deal, he lost to Gilbert in an exhibition. I'm no Michael Chang fan, but I do know that he won a Major and 30-something tournaments, and was ranked #2 in 1996. So I believe his record is significantly more impressive than Gilbert's-where and when it counts. Give me a break.

That's my point, Phil. Chang should have killed Gilbert.

I never said Gilbert was a better player or had a better career than Chang. I wasn't even comparing their careers or records. No question that Chang had the more impressive career. That, and the ten year younger legs, means that he should have beaten Gilbert, even in an exhibition.

All I'm suggesting is that given the way Chang plays today, and that he could lose to Gilbert, perhaps a match against Sharapova today wouldn't be as one sided as everyone thinks it'll be.

Phil
03-03-2005, 08:58 PM
That's my point, Phil. Chang should have killed Gilbert.

I never said Gilbert was a better player or had a better career than Chang. I wasn't even comparing their careers or records. No question that Chang had the more impressive career. That, and the ten year younger legs, means that he should have beaten Gilbert, even in an exhibition.

All I'm suggesting is that given the way Chang plays today, and that he could lose to Gilbert, perhaps a match against Sharapova today wouldn't be as one sided as everyone thinks it'll be.

Who knows, BreakPoint-maybe Chang's game went to pot as soon as he retired (or somewhat before that). Even if Gilbert did beat him, I can't see an active WTA player, even one ranked in the top 3, beating Chang. Although it's never been proven by anyone here (that I know of), most of the more experienced players on this board feel that a Div. 1 male player or just about any run-of-the-mill satellite/challenger level male player can beat the top female pros-easily, so I can't imagine Chang having a problem.

muellerhp
03-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Gilbert rulez, that's why he beat Chang!!!!! ;)

6:1 would be the best Maria can do. Remember the Braasch-Williams match? Braasch didn't even play full-throttle.

Datacipher
03-03-2005, 11:16 PM
In fact, Rabbit, in the "Tennis Press", Federer's defeat at the AO was widely attributed to the fact that he was "off" the TW Boards for 4 days prior to the final, hence, missing out on key information which would have enabled him to defeat his opponent.

I remember Safin's comments "I'd like to thank DopeTennisStud69 for telling me I'm more talented than Federer and StrawManBob for explaining to me that my forehand should consist of a sequence of 9 positions, which is what I visualized on court while being careful to get my racquet back early.....also, I now realize I must achieve a strong L position with my wrist on the backhand!"

Young Pete
03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Heck even Carl Chang (his bro/coach) can beat Shrap.

thanu
03-04-2005, 03:03 AM
Why is everybody making such a big deal about Chang losing *A SET* to Gilbert? It wasn't a real match... they only played ONE set. Chang might have been cold, or was having trouble adjusting to Gilbert's awkward style. That's why you play best out of 3/best out of 5. One set isn't a match. Anyway, Chang was 3 and 2 (3 wins, 2 losses) against Gilbert during his atp career. Gilbert was 4 and 4 against Agassi. Maybe some of you forgot Brad was an Atp player as well. lol

Thanu

Camilio Pascual
03-04-2005, 03:50 AM

IOW, you are saying Sharapova would beat Gilbert?
I disagree, Brad would run her back and forth on the baseline until she dropped from exhaustion.
Just in case you are not saying Sharapova would beat Gilbert, what is your point of Gilbert beating Chang?

Rabbit
03-04-2005, 04:49 AM
Chang or Gilbert at any point in their respective careers, including retirement wouldn't get a match from Sharapova.

equinox
03-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Chang would thrash Sharapova.

Anyone inside the atp top 800 could beat 1 wta player.

dParis
03-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Funniest thread of the month. Six people actually voted for Sharapova?!

lemurballs
03-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Wow, no faith in the WTA it seems.

baseliner
03-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Either Michael or Carl Chang. Almost any D1 male college player beats #1 ranked female. Can you imagine Chang returning Sharapova's serve. Hitting winners at will. While people mentioned his lack of power, Chang hit the ball significantly harder than anyone on the WTA. If you think Sharapova would win, set up the match and be sure to bring your checkbook.

@wright
03-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Chang would whoop that fat a-.

davey25
03-04-2005, 07:48 AM
I am sorry but is this some sort of a joke! Does anybody remember when a fading Karsten Braash played Venus Williams in an exhibtion match when Venus was already about the 5th best player in the world? Chang at his peak would feed Sharapova a double-bagel or a triple-bagel whichever she preferred. Now she might get 2 or 3 games a set, but he probably is barely playing college level tennis by this point if he played.

ferrari_827
03-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe so. But power-wise, Sharapova's groundstrokes are at least as powerful, if not more, than Chang's loop topspin shots. Chang is a counterpuncher and they would have some rallies.

There's no doubt Sharapova could easily return Chang's serve and sustain rally's, even hit some winners. No doubt Chang would win, but it wouldn't be as easy as people here think, trust me.

joe sch
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
She would not even have a chance of winning if she played naked against Chang, this would not be true agaist many other men on the tour :)

laurie
03-04-2005, 08:11 AM
I must admit Il was lucky to see her live last year at Wimbledon centre court v Hantuchova. I said to my friend that day she was a future champion. I didn't expect it to be one week later! However, I must admit her looks do nothing for me. Now that Hantuchova has put weight on I think she's very beautiful. Sharapova is skinny with very broad shoulders.

So maybe Chang will win that match Joe Sch

troytennisbum
03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Haha....now that's the funniest thing I've read so far on this post.
laurie stated, about Sharapova, "However, I must admit her looks do nothing for me."
We'll her looks will definitely do something for anything "male". Come now, "skinny" and
"broad shoulders" ??? Get real, she has model looks in every way.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. We'll I would say that Sharapova would have
about as good of a chance of beating Chang now as she would against beating
any other retired pro now (be it Sampras, Gilbert, whoever). She might be able to get some games off any of them....depending on what kind of playing condition they are in right now.

However, to even suggest that Sharapova or any other female player on the tour would have even the slightest chance of beating Chang while he was actively playing on the men's tour is both ridiculous and insulting to Chang. Chang was a great men's player who could play with anyone during his time..including some pretty good guys like Sampras, Agassi, and Lendl. His accomplishment of winning the French Open at freaking 17 yrs of age is something that may never be equaled or surpassed in the game of pro-tennis.

fastdunn
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Maybe so. But power-wise, Sharapova's groundstrokes are at least as powerful, if not more, than Chang's loop topspin shots. Chang is a counterpuncher and they would have some rallies.

There's no doubt Sharapova could easily return Chang's serve and sustain rally's, even hit some winners. No doubt Chang would win, but it wouldn't be as easy as people here think, trust me.

Chang is not unable to crank it up. He just hardly had chance to do that
while he was competing in pro. As a junior, Chang actually had very attacking game.
You should see matches between Chang and Sampras before 1994.
In those matches, Chang acted like an enforcer, not Sampras.

People think Chang is a clay court player but Chang was predominantly
a hard court player during his entire career. He was always top 3 hard court
player for about 10 years.

There is some difference between Hewitt and Chang. Chang had stroke
mechanism to bring some heat but he chose not to. Hewitt simply does not
have it despite his big boopy back-swing...

Datacipher
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davey25
03-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I actually think the woman who would have the best chance of hitting with men is Serena Williams, however she makes so many unforced errors she would still get crushed by the male pro. If she did not have those unforced errors the other top woman wouldnt even be in matches with her though.

Edward Clipperhands
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
The only Chang she may have a chance of beating is Michael's brother, and I think the set scores would be 7-5,4-6,7-6(10)

Tenny
03-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Didn't a 10 years retired Yannich Noah defeat Justine Henin-Herdenne while she was the world's number 1 in an exhibition match? Chang in his playing days would have given Sharapova a double bagel, 6-0, 6-0.

Seriously I am with Rickson. I am not saying WTA is inferior to ATP. Just the level of power, speed etc. is different. Even though Chang might be slower than he was in his younger days, still he is a very smart player and Maria is, we like her determination and will power, still inexperienced. 6-0, 6-0.

tenny.

tennisadict
03-04-2005, 12:19 PM
she will beat chang 6-0 6-0 when she is wearing a bikini

ferrari_827
03-04-2005, 12:22 PM
She would give Chang a bunch of low balls. Kinda uncomfortable to return, ahem.

Rabbit
03-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Given Chang's height, wouldn't he stand a good chance of giving her some low balls?

Kaptain Karl
03-04-2005, 01:15 PM
... power-wise, Sharapova's groundstrokes are at least as powerful, if not more, than Chang's loop topspin shots. Chang is a counterpuncher and they would have some rallies.

No ... "Trust me." You're whacked.

In the interest of objectivity, I asked an old family friend, Dr. Sigmund Sigmund, to comment on your post. He left me the following Voice Mail. I promise I'm transcribing it as accurately as I can.

Hi KK, Sigmund here. I peruuuzed zat "ferrari" boyz mezzage ... end zince ve haff not performed a wholly torough egzamination my provezzional code preventz me frum making any zort of "snap diagnoziss." Howeffer, dis I CAN zay about zat boy, ferrari.... If I verr to speak faze-to-faze vit dis boy, I'd tell him -- in no unzertain termz --
-

-

-

-

-

Stop zinking vit your "little head." Ztart zinking vit your big head, you dumkoff!!!

End, KK ... pleaze don' vaste my valuable time vit Goofballs like dis anymore."

[Don't shoot me. I'm only the messenger.]

- KK

joe sch
03-05-2005, 05:22 AM
she will beat chang 6-0 6-0 when she is wearing a bikini
Maybe some ATP pros but I still contend that Chang would probably bagel her even if she played naked :)

Haka Boy
03-05-2005, 05:41 AM
I dont believe anyone should compare a male versus female match. .......all it achieves is an endless debate between both sexes. ....so my wife has just stated....and as its past midnight in New Zealand i'd agree with anything she says.

A match up with Sharapova and Chang is too ridiculous to even contemplate.

goober
03-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Maybe some ATP pros but I still contend that Chang would probably bagel her even if she played naked :)

yeah but how would Maria do if Chang were naked?

Pushmaster
03-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Come on guys, let's be real here. Chang would double bagel her nude, semi-nude, or fully clothed, and you know it. :roll:

spinbalz
03-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Chang beated guys like Lendl, Becker, Agassi, Courier, Sampras, and someone has the balls to suggest that Sharapova may overpower Chang!!!

And the worst of it all, is that 2 or 3 more guys are blind enough to argue that the question is not so silly (and the identity of those guys does not surprises me), because in their view chang lacked powerfull shots, and blah blah blah...

Next time I'll ask a question related to tennis tip or equipment, I'll thank those guys to not reply.

Datacipher
03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Chang beated guys like Lendl, Becker, Agassi, Courier, Sampras, and someone has the balls to suggest that Sharapova may overpower Chang!!!

While you're at it, might as well add in some of the younger guys even if it was in the years when Chang was struggling to win any match, he still has wins over Federer, Safin, Massu, Dent, T Johannson, Kiefer, Srichaphan, Ferrero, Philippoussis, Kuerten and of course, most importantly, Karsten Braasch ;-)

Pushmaster
03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
While you're at it, might as well add in some of the younger guys even if it was in the years when Chang was struggling to win any match, he still has wins over Federer, Safin, Massu, Dent, T Johannson, Kiefer, Srichaphan, Ferrero, Philippoussis, Kuerten and of course, most importantly, Karsten Braasch ;-)
I bet even the chain smoking Braasch would double bagel her. :lol:

Fred132
03-05-2005, 04:07 PM
OK, then, what if a naked Sharapova played a bunch of miniature Brad Gilberts? Who would win then?

BreakPoint
03-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I agree. The better question may be can Brad Gilbert today beat Sharapova?

BTW, have we all forgotten that Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in the famous "Battle of the Sexes" match in the '70's? I don't even think it was that close, if I remember correctly.

I just looked it up. It was a best of 5 set match, and King won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

Kaptain Karl
03-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Riggs was 55, out of shape and over-confident from his previous dismantling of Margaret Court in a similar challenge. No comparison.

(Riggs was known as "The Hustler." There was quite a bit of speculation that he actually bet on King. I wouldn't put it past him.)

- KK

pchoi04
03-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Its funny that you mention him because I saw him once at I Luv Sushi.

Datacipher
03-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Riggs was 55, out of shape and over-confident from his previous dismantling of Margaret Court in a similar challenge. No comparison.

(Riggs was known as "The Hustler." There was quite a bit of speculation that he actually bet on King. I wouldn't put it past him.)

- KK

Personally, I'm sure that Riggs threw that match. I happen to think that Davenport and Seles think that as well. But I've posted on this a few times before. Astonishing that anyone could possibly think Sharapova could challenge Chang....but there's always someone you can fool.

Oh, probably worth mentioning as many don't know this, that a woman has played in a men's pro tournament. That went disastrously as she won only 4 points and she left in tears.

Max G.
03-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Oh, probably worth mentioning as many don't know this, that a woman has played in a men's pro tournament. That went disastrously as she won only 4 points and she left in tears.

Hmm! I didn't know this... who was this, where?

goober
03-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I agree. The better question may be can Brad Gilbert today beat Sharapova?

BTW, have we all forgotten that Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in the famous "Battle of the Sexes" match in the '70's? I don't even think it was that close, if I remember correctly.

I just looked it up. It was a best of 5 set match, and King won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

Bobby Riggs was 55, out of shape, smoking and drinking. He was not playing tennis regularly. The rules of the match were not fair either. King had a doubles court to play with while Riggs had the usual singles court. Personally if King could have beaten any male tennis player in the top 1000 I would have been impressed.

35ft6
03-06-2005, 05:39 AM
I'm pretty sure King did NOT have the doubles alley.

I think Connors played Martina N once and I think SHE may have had the doubles alley.

Datacipher
03-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure King did NOT have the doubles alley.

I think Connors played Martina N once and I think SHE may have had the doubles alley.

King did not have the doubles alley. Martine had 1/2 of the doubles alley and Connors only got 1 serve. Martina took it deadly serious while Connors joked around. Was still not close, though Jimmy let the 1st set run close before pulling away. Again, Connors was said to have made a very large bet on himself.

Riggs pushed very hard for a rematch, which I believe was his plan the entire time. He destroyed world #1 M. Court, then lost 1 to BJK, then the epic rematch in which he would reclaim his title. BJK was smart though, she could not be coerced into a rematch.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-06-2005, 02:50 PM
If Sharapova/Kournikova played in a pair NAKED against Chang/Gilbert in a WHEELCHAIR - Will they win?

What will be Sharapova's father's reaction?

Ronaldo
03-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Now if they played naked Twister, a must see PPV. Wonder if she would give him the shocker?

gmlasam
03-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Now if they played naked Twister, a must see PPV. Wonder if she would give him the shocker?
Would the twister game be something like this? :)
http://www.ero-sport.com/gal/tennis12/6.jpg

35ft6
03-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Michael Chang would frown, and run off the court if Maria and Anna came out naked. Then he would denounce it during the press conference. Later that night, he could cry while naked in fetal position, hugging his French Open trophy. And there would be a wig on the trophy and he'd be calling it Ling.