PDA

View Full Version : Andy for Wimby and the US open in 2009?

richied
03-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Anyone tipping the Brit to take home a Wimby crown to be followed by a US open in 2009. I think he's slowly closing the gap and Wimby might be the place where he stakes his claim. I'm not a Brit just a gut feeling. His home tornie with the massive local support will make him pretty hard to beat. [B]The question is can he carry the hopes of a nation? After being to Wimby a few times you can feel the passion for someone to finally step up.The people want a British champion (it's been so long). I for one think he can go the extra step that poor Henman could never make( unlucky as he was, that rain delay vs Goran really screwed him IMO). If he does take Wimby he's already proven he can play in the US so it will definately be on.

saram
03-04-2009, 06:34 AM
Lets see if he gets over this mono/virus thing first, okay?

beckham
03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
I'm not to sure about Wimbledon, although, I believe he will go far. As for the US Open, thats the one for him, and it has his name all over it. I believe he will have a VERY good chance at taking the title.

Nadal_Freak
03-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Roddick will never win a slam again. I don't care if he lost weight and beat Djokovic on a slow hardcourt. Fed will always own him and he struggles on grass as of late.

WayneCM
03-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Roddick will never win a slam again. I don't care if he lost weight and beat Djokovic on a slow hardcourt. Fed will always own him and he struggles on grass as of late.

Not to quick on the uptake?

saram
03-04-2009, 07:27 AM

You really should read the text prior to replying. You totally missed this one :)

Cyan
03-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't think Murray will win a slam this year.

Maybe in 2010.

Nadal_Freak
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
My bad but the OP should know that there is an Andy Roddick. I've seen so much ridiculous stuff lately by saying Roddick can actually win slams still. How ridiculous. He is done. Back to topic. I don't think Murray is that comfortable on grass. We'll find out. US Open is definitely a possibility.

Cyan
03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Hmmm. He lost to Verdasco. He first has to be able to beat the Verdascos of the world before he can think of winnning slams.

saram
03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Hmmm. He lost to Verdasco. He first has to be able to beat the Verdascos of the world before he can think of winnning slams.

There is a good chance he had the virus when he played Nando. Murray also beat Rafa at the USO last year. He stands a good chance if healthy.

We're talking about the future--not the past, though.

Cyan
03-04-2009, 07:49 AM
^ Not if he chokes when he meets Fed in the final..... like at the USO in 2008. That was an embarrassing stage fright performance.....

BTW, the man to beat at the USO is Fed not Nadal. So you saying Murray beat Nadal at the USO in 2008 means nothing if he then couldn't beat the man who owns the USO, that is Fed.

Blinkism
03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah, OK, Murray's not taking Wimby and the USO this year. He's got a chance at the USO but the field is solid at Wimby with 2 former champions who are going to give it a 100% and demolish whoever's in the their way.

He'll probably make the semi's though, and the brits will invite the Queen and he'll get all nervous and choke up, and then we'll get a Rafa vs Rog final again, as per usual

woodrow1029
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
My bad but the OP should know that there is an Andy Roddick. I've seen so much ridiculous stuff lately by saying Roddick can actually win slams still. How ridiculous. He is done. Back to topic. I don't think Murray is that comfortable on grass. We'll find out. US Open is definitely a possibility.
Well, he did clearly say "the brit" in the OP

tintin
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM

read FIRST b4 yapping back:roll: :lol:

as for Murray winning a slam this year?NO!

miyagi
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Since when has Murray got mono?

According to UK press and papers he has a virus?

Anyway Wimbledon No! USO he stands a very good chance indeed....

tacou
03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
andy r has a much better chance of this than the wiry brit.

egn
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
^ Not if he chokes when he meets Fed in the final..... like at the USO in 2008. That was an embarrassing stage fright performance.....

BTW, the man to beat at the USO is Fed not Nadal. So you saying Murray beat Nadal at the USO in 2008 means nothing if he then couldn't beat the man who owns the USO, that is Fed.

Seriously he choked huge in that final. I don't care what you wanna say about short rest. He blew it huge, there was not even a fight. Besides his play time against Nadal was not that long the day before...they didn't even play a full match. Murray will not win Wimby this year and I don't see him winning it next year either. US Open maybe but not this year. He like Djokovic needs to mature first

thalivest
03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Wimbledon- not impossible I guess but I really doubt it. Too much improvement to make from last year where he was thrashed by Nadal and lucky to even get past Gasquet. If he shows significant improvement this year that could maybe give him a shot at the title the following year, but not the title this year I dont think. Right now Federer and Nadal own the grass.

U.S Open- yes a contender but so are Federer and Nadal.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
[B]The question is can he carry the hopes of a nation?

The question is does Andy believe that he can be a Slam winner? Verdasco took him out down under in a tournament many people thought he would win. Murray needs to not think about the hopes of a nation, not about anything except these words: do you believe in yourself?

Clydey2times
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM

He was sick when he played Verdasco, so I wish people would stop bringing up that match. He went 5 sets with Verdasco, winning one more point than the Spaniard over the course of the match (the same as Nadal, who simply played the big points better). And he did it while sick. He had actually been sick since before the Melzer match. He said a few days ago that he never actually got over the virus he had in Australia. That should tell you all you need to know about how dominant he has been on hard courts recently.

It's not like it took a genius to tell that Murray was ill in Australia. The massive cold sore on his face was a slight giveaway.

Clydey2times
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
The question is does Andy believe that he can be a Slam winner? Verdasco took him out down under in a tournament many people thought he would win. Murray needs to not think about the hopes of a nation, not about anything except these words: do you believe in yourself?

See my previous post.

I don't think belief is an issue. No idea where you get the idea that he lacks belief. You don't dominate the top 3, as Murray has done recently, if you lack belief.

tennis_hand
03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
he has a serious chance. but i am not sure he will win it.

NandoMania
03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe for the USO, but not for Wimbledon. Andy has said his favorite team was "any that played against England," so no, I don't think he'll make the grass his own just yet.

veroniquem
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Let the poor guy show us he can win one slam before throwing 2 his way...

Mansewerz
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Verdasco was also playing the best tennnis of his life at the AO 09, so take that into consideration.

tahiti
03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
I see a grand slam this year with Murray's name on it. Which I don't know. Even if it's not a GS there'll be more titles. If he keeps up to par he's moving one way. Up.

Clydey2times
03-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Maybe for the USO, but not for Wimbledon. Andy has said his favorite team was "any that played against England," so no, I don't think he'll make the grass his own just yet.

It was a joke. Even the journalist who conducted the interview came out and said it was a joke. Henman and the journalist were teasing Murray about Scotland's absence from the world cup, so Murray jokingly said he would support any team England were playing.

Not that it's in any way relevant to how he plays on grass.