PDA

View Full Version : "Nadal Racista"....?

saram
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Will someone that understands either Spanish or Portuguese please help me understand this video and what transpired between Gaudio and Rafa?

I'm not sure which language the video is in--but your knowledge and translation would be highly appreciated.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1JBbKbtzJY&feature=related

edmondsm
03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Answer might be here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=171655&highlight=Nadal+racist

saram
03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
^^Thanks....should have used the search engine...my bad.

edmondsm
03-04-2009, 08:32 AM
^^Thanks....should have used the search engine...my bad.

I don't blame you. The search engine sucks, I usually don't bother. It just happened to work this time, only because I remembered that thread from a while ago. I typed in Nadal+racist and got 2 pages of threads before I got to the one called "Nadal a racist?"

saram
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
I wasn't a member here when this had happened. I just figured that if this had come to the surface, people would still be talking about it. I just assumed it was something new--my bad.

rubberduckies
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
This post from old thread pretty much sums it up:

nadal is not racist.. neither is gaudio

what happened is that gaudio basically said

"dont get cocky, coz illbeat the sh1t out of u"

and nadal just said " i didint do anything"

so no racism

Just out of curiosity, if Nadal were racist here, what race would he actually be discriminating against?

saram
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM

Just out of curiosity, if Nadal were racist here, what race would he actually be discriminating against?

I don't speak a lick of either Spanish or Portuguese and therefore, I'm clueless. I was going off the reaction of the crowd and what Gaudio's body language said right at the end of the clip and thought there might be something hidden within the language.

I remember Murray and del Potro having a similar battle during a changeover when del Potro said something in combination of the f-bomb and Murray's mother.

Puma
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Gaudio wants no part of Rafa except for his guts, which Guadio has none of....

jrod
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Morons....

diegaa
03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
this would be no racism but XENOPHOBIA, as he supposedly called gaudio a "sudaca" (we all know this was a vile lie by that stupid TV show). Sudaca is a pejorative term against South Americans in spain.
In either case, this never happened.

BTW, Saram, why you keep insisting on you dont speeking portuguese?? what does portuguese has to do with anything??? dont you know gaudio and nadal speak spanish?

saram
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
BTW, Saram, why you keep insisting on you dont speeking portuguese?? what does portuguese has to do with anything??? dont you know gaudio and nadal speak spanish?

When I kept trying to translate some of the words that were in the vid--kept getting reference to some Portuguese translation sites.

doublebreak
03-04-2009, 10:31 AM
It appears it was for the most part covered in the older thread.

Gaudio was saying something like "don't be an smartass", you can hear Nadal saying he's not doing anything. At the end of the subtitles read "shut up Sudaca" but it's not really audible. So it could be made up and maybe Nadal didn't say that.

Sudaca is a short term for sudamericano (southamerican) often used in a derogatory way in Spain when referring to people from south america. I'm not really familiar with the term but from what I could research it wasn't always the case. There are all kinds of use of the word in literature and music mostly used by south americans referring to themselves. I'm not sure at what point it became common to use in a demeaning form in Spain but that can also be the case.

So the term "sudaca" can be discriminatory but depends on the context and from the video is not clear Nadal actually said it.

Gorecki
03-04-2009, 03:24 PM

rubberdorkians and other kinds of nadaletes...

SoBad
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Hahaha Del Potro said "you and your manner" and Murray the neurotic abstainer just started yelling "what did you say about my mother?" hahahaha...

nickynu
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Saram - in some of the other threads you say some cool things (eg clints) so why are you trying so Hard to bring racism to the table. Its pointless and weird so stop sitting there with your translation services trying to find ways denigrate Nadal, it sickens me man!

Gorecki
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
When I kept trying to translate some of the words that were in the vid--kept getting reference to some Portuguese translation sites.

thats because Spanish and Portuguese are very similar in writing whereas in speaking they are quite different... (much more than the difference between uk english and american english)...

very often they are mixed ending in "Portunhol" :)

BTW.. i just dont see Nadal doing such thing...