PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of the Dunlop Max 200G

Pages : [1] 2

Virginia
03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
This all came about because last night I went through my stash of 10 200G's to evaluate them, as far as condition, size of handle, weight etc. was concerned.

I discovered I had four Pro's (McEnroe version), 2 original black non Pro's and three later green versions. Plus the one I'd painted, which from memory, was also a Pro.

The black Pro's bear the inscription Graphite Injection, the green ones Graphil Injection and the ordinary 200G's Dunlop Graphite.

Seeing no mention of "injection" on the last pair, I got to wondering whether in fact these were inferior (non injection) models, but was reassured by the fact that the patent number (4297308 ) was all also inscribed on them, the same as the others.

I looked up the patent (http://www.wikipatents.com/4297308.html)and got far more information than I thought possible.

Here's an extract from it:

Racket frames have traditionally been made of wood and a modern wooden racket frame is a quite complicated construction containing many layers or laminations which have to be bonded together. The manufacture of such a frame is a skilful and time-consuming process. However, despite the difficulties of manufacture, which do not readily lend themselves to modern continuous manufacturing techniques, wooden rackets are still widely popular because of their overall combination of desirable playing characteristics. They provide high strength at the required weight for the particular sport and give desirable, if difficult to define, dynamic properties including "feel" and "control" which are necessary for the player to exercise his skill.

Substitute materials for wood have been proposed, notably metals and reinforced plastics materials. However, due to the considerably higher specific gravity of such materials (wood has a specific gravity of about 0.7 to 0.8, metals and reinforced thermoplastics materials suitable for racket construction have higher specific gravities considerably in excess of 1.0), it has been necessary to develop frame constructions based on hollow structural members otherwise weights would be unacceptable. Such hollow structural members may be produced by drawing or extruding processes in the case of metals or, in the case of reinforced plastic materials, by laminating processes around lightweight core materials, e.g. plastics foam, or by using hollow-moulding techniques, e.g. inflation moulding.

The present invention is directed to racket frames formed from reinforced plastics material and before proceeding further it is necessary to describe briefly the two basically different types of reinforced plastics materials which are available for racket frame manufacture.

1. Continuous filament/resin matrix system

The most usual type is based on the use of substantially continuous filaments of reinforcing material which are either incorporated into a woven fabric or braid or alternatively aligned uni-directionally in what is commonly referred to as a `warp-sheet` or `warp strip`. Such fabrics, braids, sheets or strips are usually made from glass or carbon fibre and are impregnated, usually with a thermosetting resin of the epoxy, polyester or phenolic type, either before or during the operation of fabricating the article in question. The resulting structure is then subjected to heat and pressure to cure the resin and to mould the article to the desired configuration.

Where it is necessary for a strong, lightweight article to be produced, as in the case of a racket frame, the reinforced plastics material is often formed around a core structure which is capable of being expanded in the moulding process so that the article is satisfactorily consolidated. The core may be in the form of an expandable plastics material or alternatively it may be formed by an inflation tube (made from, for instance, silicone rubber) which may subsequently be removed from the moulded article. By either means, a strong light racket frame may be produced but assembly of the article prior to moulding is somewhat complicated and leads to high labor cost in volume manufacture. Other disadvantages are that the thermosetting resins employed require to be subject to several minutes at an appropriate elevated temperature for curing to take place and large quantity manufacture therefore requires the use of a multiplicity of moulds.

2. Short filament or "chopped fibre"/resin matrix system.

The second class of reinforced plastics materials suitable for use in racket frames are those in which the reinforcement consists of short discrete lengths of fibre reinforcing material which are randomly dispersed in a resin matrix. The resin may be either of the thermoplastic or thermosetting type. The term thermoplastic is used to refer to a plastics material which softens and flows readily at elevated temperatures but which assumes a rigid form at ambient temperatures. Examples of such thermoplastics are nylon, polycarbonate, polyphenylene oxide, acetal and other so called `engineering thermoplastics`. The reinforcement material is usually glass or carbon fibre where high strength is required. The thermosetting resins may for example be of the epoxy, polyester or phenolic types as described in Class (1) above.

Materials of the second class may be employed in a so-called injection-moulding process. In the case of the thermoplastic material, it is heated in the barrel of an injection-moulding machine until it softens and then it is forced under high pressure into a cold mould, wherein it cools and solidifies to assume the shape of the mould. In the case of the thermosetting material, injection of the substantially free-flowing material takes place into a heated mould, where curing subsequently takes place.

The injection-moulding process as described above is a considerably faster process than the fabricating/moulding process employing continuous filament/thermosetting resins described previously. Also, labor cost is considerably reduced.

Injection-moulding processes have been used to produce racket frames from reinforced thermoplastics materials. Although these rackets have met with some success commercially, they do not have the high stiffness and strength at sufficiently low weight that is desired for a really high quality racket. These known thermoplastic rackets have been formed with a head portion which is not hollow and their strength to weight or stiffness to weight ratios have been less than desirable for high quality rackets. Thus these rackets have been less stiff and strong than those made from continuous filament materials and thermo-setting resins as described in the first class above.

Although improving the strength and stiffness to weight ratios by making the head portion of a racket frame hollow is an obvious desideratum, it has not insofar as the applicant is aware previously been possible to satisfactorily achieve this in the form of a one-piece, i.e. integral, injection-moulding and the present invention is directed to that end.

Of course there's lots more, but I've just posted the above to whet your collective appetites!

Rorsach
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Believe it or not, i was just thinking of asking about all the different versions of the MAX200G, paintjobs and all. I think i've had about 5 different versions up to now, but there are a couple more.

Can anyone post some pics of them all?

vsbabolat
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
This all came about because last night I went through my stash of 10 200G's to evaluate them, as far as condition, size of handle, weight etc. was concerned.

I discovered I had four Pro's (McEnroe version), 2 original black non Pro's and three later green versions. Plus the one I'd painted, which from memory, was also a Pro.

The black Pro's bear the inscription Graphite Injection, the green ones Graphil Injection and the ordinary 200G's Dunlop Graphite.

Seeing no mention of "injection" on the last pair, I got to wondering whether in fact these were inferior (non injection) models, but was reassured by the fact that the patent number (4297308 ) was all also inscribed on them, the same as the others.

I looked up the patent (http://www.wikipatents.com/4297308.html)and got far more information than I thought possible.

Of course there's lots more, but I've just posted the above to whet your collective appetites!

Here are sections cut from the Max 200G to show the internal pillars that you can only have with a Injection Molded Frame.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0067.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0068.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0064.jpg

A real piece of art how Dunlop manufactured these racquets. Here is a layman's explanation of the Injection Molded Process works. First there is a casting of a low melting point alloy core. The alloy core is then put in the injection molding machine. A Compound of GRAPHITE and NYLON is Melted and then injected around the alloy core. Once the graphite and Nylon is cooled the Alloy core is heated up so it melts and then poured out of the frame. This leaves individual string holes that have pillars inside the frame. There are no holes drilled in these injection molded frames by Dunlop.

jimbo333
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
As long as nobody starts a 300i thread, and I have to drool over your prototype again (which you are bound to post a photo of) then I'll be happy:):)

Virginia
03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I thought we might hear from you jimbo! This is a technical thread, so no drooling type photos allowed!

No, cancel that, we are all going to post pics of the different versions we have, so there will be plenty of drooling I'm sure. I'm hoping to post mine later today. :)

plasma
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
first generation had "max" in block letters, then it said "pro" after "max 200g" then came the wavy letters, then the wavy letters with "pro" afterward....

jimbo333
03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
This lack of being able to post photos on here is really getting to me:( But am not going to give up, a mate is going to have a look at my computer over the weekend, and get it sorted:)

In the mean time will list what I know about the 200G later this evening:)

Kirko
03-04-2009, 03:37 PM

I remember the 200-G used to have a "hang-tag) that stated it was in a museum in England as a marvel of modern racket contstruction, the 200-G that had the black grip with "Dunlop" all around the handle were the best ones I thought, before they went to fairway.

Virginia
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
first generation had "max" in block letters, then it said "pro" after "max 200g" then came the wavy letters, then the wavy letters with "pro" afterward....
What I heard or read, was that the "Pro" name was only given to racquets in a batch that met certain manufacturing standards. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

But it does seem, from what people have posted so far, that there were several iterations of this racquet, showing as slightly different graphics. The person who sold me my first green version said that Dunlop had decided that they were sick of producing the black version (probably because they were fed up with complaints that the graphics were too prone to fade!!), but that the mold and manufacturing process never changed.

jimbo333
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Right then here we go:) I don't claim to be an expert, so this will need correcting, but this is all I know, and some of it is probably wrong!!!

I think there are 6 main different versions, but it depends what you call "main", as there are lots of little differences. The main different versions of the MAX200G are:-

1. 1982 - Black Racquet, Green/Gold Chevrons - 2 green stripes (3 different molds, first had tapered beam narrowest at head with round string holes. Second had constant beam with round string holes and third had constant beam with squarish holes (this mold continues until 92 basically unchanged). And I think the 2 round string hole versions were only made in 1982.
2. 1986 - Black Racquet, Green/Gold Chevrons - green/gold stripes - Block letters, and "Graphite Injection" These have John McEnroes signature on side of frame and there is a different version celebrating his win in 1984 Wimbledon/US Open written on side of frame, possibly a US only import frame? (I want one of these so if anyone has one please contact me through my profile)
3. 1988 - Black Racquet, Green/Gold Chevrons - green/gold stripes - Curly letters, and "Grafil Injection" also another version of this was - Green Racquet, Red/White chevrons - red/white stripes, and I've heard other colours were done at this time also? (If anyone has any other colours, please sell me one as I collect them, eerrr obviously I suppose!!!)
4. 1989 - Golden Grand Slam - Numbered Edition
5. 1990 - Gloss Black Racquet, Gold/Turquoise Chevrons
6. 1991 - PRO - Purple Racquet with green writing in completly different style to other MAX200G's

Years could be very slightly wrong (especially versions 5 and 6).

There were definitely different PRO versions of 2,3 and 5 as well (and probably 1 as well, if anyone has a PRO version with 2 green stripes I'd like one). Version 2 had PRO written on it. Version 3 had PRO written on Black Racquet and PROII on Green Racquet. 5 had PRO written on it. 6 had PROIII written on it (again looking for one of these, please email through my profile). Again there are probably others.

If I start talking about the grips it's going to get a bit confusing, but the order is Black, Black with little Gold "Dunlop" written around it, then Brown leather "Fairway" and then Black Leather again, then Green leather, and then soft disintegrating grips which have all basically yes disintegrated if not wrapped!! Again I could well be wrong:)

As for the covers/bags, there's lots of different ones:)

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong (am sure the knowledgable Vsbabolat will for starters), as I quite possibly am; but look I am trying!!!

zidane339
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Great article and read, thanks for finding it Virginia!

I'm currently studying materials science and engineering in college, so this stuff is directly applicable to what I'm learning and its very interesting. The 200 was an inventive genius!

jimbo333
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
And I actually prefer the 300i to play with normally, and there is a prototype version of this that I would really.........

Virginia
03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Here are my three versions:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4gdlQm-LraY/Sa84IQJay_I/AAAAAAAAAjU/d9BnKMCxs4g/s800/Dunlop%20200G%27s.JPG

Jimbo, can you identify them for me?

Virginia
03-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Actually I think I've worked it out, as follows;

1982 Version - round holes - these are in excellent condition as regards the graphics

1986 Version - Pro - graphics are fading a bit, but otherwise very good

1988 Version - green version - almost mint condition

Interesting that my two original 1982 version graphics are in better shape than the four 1986 ones. Could be that just that they weren't used much.

jimbo333
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Virginia,

Yep from what I can see, I would agree:)

And the 82 version you have looks great!! Have never seen a light brown/tan grip on one of these, does that look like the original grip?

Virginia
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes, all four of the Pro's have the same tan Dunlop grip - beautifully shiny leather actually, which has darked a little, but really not worn much at all.

Perhaps the batches they sent out to Australia and New Zealand were a little different from the ones sold back in England?

psp2
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Right then here we go I don't claim to be an expert, so this will need correcting, but this is all I know, and some of it is probably wrong!!!

I think there are 6 main different versions, but it depends what you call "main", as there are lots of little differences. The main different versions of the MAX200G are:-

1. 1982 - Black Racquet, Green/Gold Chevrons - 2 green stripes (3 different molds, first had tapered beam narrowest at head with round string holes. Second had constant beam with round string holes and third had constant beam with squarish holes (this mold continues until 92 basically unchanged). And I think the 2 round string hole versions were only made in 1982.
2. 1986 - Black Racquet, Green/Gold Chevrons - green/gold stripes - Block letters, and "Graphite Injection" These have John McEnroes signature on side of frame and there is a different version celebrating his win in 1984 Wimbledon/US Open written on side of frame, possibly a US only import frame? (I want one of these so if anyone has one please contact me through my profile)
3. 1988 - Black Racquet, Green/Gold Chevrons - green/gold stripes - Curly letters, and "Grafil Injection" also another version of this was - Green Racquet, Red/White chevrons - red/white stripes, and I've heard other colours were done at this time also? (If anyone has any other colours, please sell me one as I collect them, eerrr obviously I suppose!!!)
6. 1991 - PRO - Purple Racquet with green writing in completly different style to other MAX200G's

There were definitely different PRO versions of 2,3 and 5 as well (and probably 1 as well, if anyone has a PRO version with 2 green stripes I'd like one). Version 2 had PRO written on it. Version 3 had PRO written on Black Racquet and PROII on Green Racquet. 5 had PRO written on it. 6 had PROIII written on it (again looking for one of these, please email through my profile). Again there are probably others.

If I start talking about the grips it's going to get a bit confusing, but the order is Black, Black with little Gold "Dunlop" written around it, then Brown leather "Fairway" and then Black Leather again, then Green leather, and then soft disintegrating grips which have all basically yes disintegrated if not wrapped!! Again I could well be wrong.

As for the covers/bags, there's lots of different ones.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong (am sure the knowledgable Vsbabolat will for starters), as I quite possibly am; but look I am trying!!!

Great info.....

The VERY first version did have a tapered hoop. It was around 2mm narrower at the tip than the rest of the frame.

ALSO.... you can distinguish the age of the racquet by the writing on the side of the throat.

The 1st gen says something like "Graphite" and not much more.
The 2nd gen says "UK patent pending".
The 3rd gen says "US Patent # and UK Patent #".
I believe the McEnroe signature series came after that.

Here are some photos of the Pro II (black/green pj) and Pro III (Green/purple pj).

IMO, these are the most beautiful Max200g frames ever produced outside of the special Golden Slam edition.

BTW, the "sea foam green" version is a pj for Dunlop's DEMO frame.

http://tinyurl.com/bbhr6q

http://tinyurl.com/buy9fx

http://tinyurl.com/bbfhwc

Virginia
03-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Those are truly magnificent - I'm certainly drooling over those - eh jimbo?

Bud
03-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Great info.....

The VERY first version did have a tapered hoop. It was around 2mm narrower at the tip than the rest of the frame.

ALSO.... you can distinguish the age of the racquet by the writing on the side of the throat.

Here are some photos of the Pro II (black/green pj) and Pro III (Green/purple pj).

IMO, these are the most beautiful Max200g frames ever produced outside of the special Golden Slam edition.

Wow... they just got fancier and flashier as they aged! :)

psp2
03-05-2009, 12:13 AM
My "green" one:

http://tinyurl.com/9tv9fj

Rorsach
03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Most of my 200G's have graphics like the one in the middle in the pic that Virginia posted, but the color is the ordinary green/gold/black, instead of gray/blue.
I've got 4 that are in the process of being "stealthed", i've already designed the graphics which are going to be applied this weekend.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6959/05032009372.th.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05032009372.jpg)

Virginia
03-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I can't wait to see what you do with them, Rorsarch. I just painted mine matt black, and actually I love it like that. It looks very sexy! Black leather grip too! :)

Rorsach
03-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Black leather grip too! :)

Where did you get the black leather? I've been looking around to get an order filled with stringing stuff and grips, but nowhere do they have everything.

joe sch
03-05-2009, 05:55 AM

Excellent research Virginia !

The key point to this outstanding mix of technology is the dyanmic properties of the mix. The dampening is much like a solid wood racket and at high swing speeds, the rackets provides more stiffness for controlled power. This manufacturing process was very difficult and expensive and probably why Dunlop never had to worry about a suit to protect this patent. Too bad, sure which some of the new airshells would provide this filling. The manufactures just dont feel many players today can handle the weight of a racket which results and ofcourse cant justify the manufacturing expense. The other issue is these types of rackets last much longer than todays airshells. Not good for replacement profits ;)

Cheers, Joe

jimbo333
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
I agree:) But the only problem with these IMF Racquets is that they do warp. About half of mine have a slight warp, even strung at recommended tensions!!

It's not a serious warp, and doesn't bother me when playing, but does seem to be permanent:(

Anyone got any views on this?

jimbo333
03-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Yes, all four of the Pro's have the same tan Dunlop grip - beautifully shiny leather actually, which has darked a little, but really not worn much at all.

Perhaps the batches they sent out to Australia and New Zealand were a little different from the ones sold back in England?

No Virginia, I was talking about the 82 version, does that look like the original grip on those? Have never seen grip like those!!

jimbo333
03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Great info.....

Thanks, like I said I'm trying my best here, and still awaiting corrections from someone!!

Like the photos, if I can't get some photos up soon, going to explode I think:evil:

The versions you have shown though are just normal later PRO versions. The PROII marked frame was the 88 version (I have a green one of these). And the PROIII is the same as the purple/green version in your photo except it has PROIII marked on it, I'm looking to buy one of these, if anyone wants to sell one?

I also have the normal non-PRO version of the gloss black with gold/turquoise chevrons, like the version shown above. And I have the extremely rare 200GL PRO version of this racquet, which I've never seen anywhere else!!!

Virginia
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
No Virginia, I was talking about the 82 version, does that look like the original grip on those? Have never seen grip like those!!
Ah yes, sorry - because they look older than the others, I keep thinking they are older! It's the four 86 versions that have the beautiful glossy leather grips. Actually, come to think of it, they look glossy because I seem to remember I cleaned them up and applied some leather polish. But they are/were in surprisingly good condition anyway.

Both of my 82 versions have new Dunlop grips on them (as shown in my photo above) and I don't remember what they had on originally. I think I decided that they deserved the best, so used the last of my Dunlop grips - the tan ones with gold Dunlops printed all over them.

Virginia
03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Where did you get the black leather? I've been looking around to get an order filled with stringing stuff and grips, but nowhere do they have everything.
Well I've been extremely lucky with grips. My stringer has been in the game for more years than he cares to remember and he had a fairly large collection of leather grips. I say "had", because I've depleted them more than somewhat!

Most people these days seem to want the more tacky grips, so he was happy to keep the leather ones reserved for me. I think there are still a couple of nice tan ones left, but I used up the black ones some time ago. He has some black Slazenger grips as well, but they have rather too many instances of "Slazenger" plastered all over them, so I only use those for Slazenger frames, of which I don't seem to have many.

I was also very lucky that a friend came into possession (from a shop that was closing down or something) of another collection of beautiful grips, including some Fairways and a few of those wonderful perforated dark brown leather ones they used to use. He was generous enough to give me half of this stash and I have about four left. I'm saving those up for really special frames of course.

There's really nothing to beat leather, especially for display racquets. I prefer to play with leather too, and can't understand why so many people don't like it.

gsquicksilver
03-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I've been extremely lucky with grips. My stringer has been in the game for more years than he cares to remember and he had a fairly large collection of leather grips. I say "had", because I've depleted them more than somewhat!

Most people these days seem to want the more tacky grips, so he was happy to keep the leather ones reserved for me. I think there are still a couple of nice tan ones left, but I used up the black ones some time ago. He has some black Slazenger grips as well, but they have rather too many instances of "Slazenger" plastered all over them, so I only use those for Slazenger frames, of which I don't seem to have many.

I was also very lucky that a friend came into possession (from a shop that was closing down or something) of another collection of beautiful grips, including some Fairways and a few of those wonderful perforated dark brown leather ones they used to use. He was generous enough to give me half of this stash and I have about four left. I'm saving those up for really special frames of course.

There's really nothing to beat leather, especially for display racquets. I prefer to play with leather too, and can't understand why so many people don't like it.

leather is great and offers the best feel and bevels, but i guess for the average tennis player who hasn't developed the calluses on their hands, it can be quite painful playing with leather. i sure remember when i was a rookie back in the early 90's and tried playing with leather. i hated it. but as i got better in tennis and developed the calluses on my hand, the pain went away when using leather grips and the enjoyment of great feel sank in.

Kirko
03-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Virginia I here you on those fairways ; I have two of the very dark brown tacky ones left and I'm going to be very careful when i pull the trigger on them, I think I am with the wilson K-88 Sampras frame.

gflyer
04-04-2009, 07:33 AM
I had these two sticks sitting in my garage for years.
Actually I have also a Revelation Pro 90.
I was planning to sell them.
Do you guys have an idea how much should I ask for them?
I searched the F/S section but I couldn't figure out. some people are asking $90 some $200?
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/racquets/200gpro.jpg

plasma
04-04-2009, 07:42 AM
we would need to see the exact wear on the head to determine value. Although I don't think that these play a tenth as good as the 2 stripe they seem to be popular due to their good looks. Whether in gf's or racquets I will take an ugly duckling who performs well over an impressive model who doesn't; any day!!!
That having been said there is no raqdaq. There is no concrete index of prices for collectible items. People post all of the time asking for estimations. It's all about what an individual will pay...

yuth
04-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone,

Please point me out about "How different between Max pro and Max pro III?" please ..........

jimbo333
04-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Please point me out about "How different between Max pro and Max pro III?" please ..........

Hi Yuth, if you are talking about the purple/green version shown in photo above? I believe PRO and PROIII are exactly the same racquet, apart from the slightly different paint job:)

I also agree that the original 2 green stripe version is the best version of this racquet:)

racquetfreak
04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Great info.....

is the color of the two sticks above the purple racket actual or photographic artifact? Should be black and green but artifact coloring looks good.

jimbo333
04-05-2009, 04:58 PM
is the color of the two sticks above the purple racket actual or photographic artifact? Should be black and green but artifact coloring looks good.

They are actually this colour:)

This version of the 200G (1990 version) came in at least 3 different versions (it's all very complicated really, and I am not an expert). One version had dark green sides as shown above:):)

Virginia
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't know whether you guys realise it, but when you click on this link (http://www.wikipatents.com/4297308.html)for the patent, you need to get inside the little box in the middle right of the screen, that gives its details. I actually saved the PDF file for study later. It has full details of the racquet construction, together with diagrams. Well worth a read.

gflyer
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
these are mine. I was thinking about selling them.
But I'm still trying to figure out a fair price.
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03964.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03965.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03966.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03967.jpg

pshulam
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM
^Nice rackets - what are you expecting to get from these two rackets? You might be able to get $150 each.

gflyer
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
^^ that was my guess.

gflyer
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Few more pics.
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03982.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03969.jpg
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/gflyer/200G/DSC03971.jpg

plasma
04-26-2009, 08:50 AM
I think that the secret of the 200g is how the injection molding provides a flex relative to the incoming force, capable of frightening power through softness, flexibility, and the transference of force. The experience is similar to the feel, and echo of a racquetball shot, within the racquet itself (deep, eh???)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2gujfrl.jpg
my 150g's and 2 stripe 200g's give me that feel. Sadly, the later versions of the 200g just dont have that feel....that feeling I get on a Sunday morning, looking over the pumpernickel on my bagel, over the cream cheese, over the smoked salmon, past the New York Times, onto the bum bum of my sweet kournikova...mmmm

racquetfreak
04-26-2009, 09:00 AM
I think that the secret of the 200g is how the injection molding provides a flex relative to the incoming force, capable of frightening power through softness, flexibility, and the transference of force. The experience is similar to the feel, and echo of a racquetball shot, within the racquet itself (deep, eh???)
http://i42.tinypic.com/2gujfrl.jpg
my 150g's and 2 stripe 200g's give me that feel. Sadly, the later versions of the 200g just dont have that feel....that feeling I get on a Sunday morning, looking over the pumpernickel on my bagel, over the cream cheese, over the smoked salmon, past the New York Times, onto the bum bum of my sweet kournikova...mmmm

sad to say i don't believe that the initial version (dbl green stripe) was IMF - all subsequent versions were. not sure about the 150G

plasma
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
the original feels like it's made of rubber, only one other racquet on earth has that unique feel and amazing performance: the puma Winner.

I don't understand why the 150g and 200g were so good and the 300i sucked so bad???

vsbabolat
04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
sad to say i don't believe that the initial version (dbl green stripe) was IMF - all subsequent versions were. not sure about the 150G

Yes the intial version double green stipe Max 200G and the Max 150G are Injection Molded Frames!
Here is your proof!:twisted:

Here are sections cut from the Max 200G to show the internal pillars that you can only have with a Injection Molded Frame.

A real piece of art how Dunlop manufactured these racquets. Here is a layman's explanation of the Injection Molded Process works. First there is a casting of a low melting point alloy core. The alloy core is then put in the injection molding machine. A Compound of GRAPHITE and NYLON is Melted and then injected around the alloy core. Once the graphite and Nylon is cooled the Alloy core is heated up so it melts and then poured out of the frame. This leaves individual string holes that have pillars inside the frame. There are no holes drilled in these injection molded frames by Dunlop.

ilian
04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Truly the best racquet ever made. The whole process is pure genious. And what wouldn't I give, just to own one of those Max 150G frames! Mmmmmm...

racquetfreak
04-27-2009, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE=vsbabolat;3359425]Yes the intial version double green stipe Max 200G and the Max 150G are Injection Molded Frames!
Here is your proof!:twisted:

QUOTE]
i stand corrected :oops:

Automatix
04-27-2009, 04:00 AM

NOOOOOOOOOO! You butcher... you animal... sooo sad :cry:

vsbabolat
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! You butcher... you animal... sooo sad :cry:

Don't worry man I didn't do it.

v205
04-29-2009, 05:17 AM
I played with aerogel 100 for about an hour.. went back to the max200g and it felt like a tonne of bricks and flexed like a noodle but in a good feeling way.

ilian
04-29-2009, 06:00 AM
I played with aerogel 100 for about an hour.. went back to the max200g and it felt like a tonne of bricks and flexed like a noodle but in a good feeling way.

I am addicted to that feeling...:)

plasma
04-29-2009, 06:57 AM
200g and 150 feel like rubber to me. Wouldn't wan't to play with a noodle. Like a T'ai Chi Master there is resilient rubbery sublime strength hidden inside the softness. 200g has awesome response and is able to tell you in 12 languages why you hit the ball too hard, prepared late, etc...it saddens me that 4.0-4.5 "players" think that a $300 BB11 will make them a 5.5, sorry Charlie...

cat6man
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
well, i just bought an original 200G (double green line!) on **** and i'm going to see if the magic is still there or not.........it arrived today in great condition but is strung with some multi-colored stuff which will be replaced with gut at 54 pounds.............also will need to have them build up the handle a bit as the size was smaller than i normally play with

i've been using a volkl c10 pro classic since it was the closest i could find to the old 200G (in the days before **** made these racquets readily available again on the used market)

i hope to play with it this weekend..............will the old magic still be there???
i'm dying to find out

cat6man
04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
the original feels like it's made of rubber, only one other racquet on earth has that unique feel and amazing performance: the puma Winner.

I don't understand why the 150g and 200g were so good and the 300i sucked so bad???

i never understood why the original double green stripe 200g was so good and later iterations of the 200g sucked so bad!

v205
04-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Are you guys actually using max200g to play competitive games? By that I mean playing against someone close to your level. Not just beating someone lower level than you.

Bud
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Are you guys actually using max200g to play competitive games? By that I mean playing against someone close to your level. Not just beating someone lower level than you.

The Max 200G has won a number of GS titles (in the right hands) so I doubt anyone on this board is too good/not good enough to be using it to win matches.

It's the player, not the racquet.

jimbo333
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
The Max 200G has won a number of GS titles (in the right hands) so I doubt anyone on this board is too good/not good enough to be using it to win matches.

Well said Bud:):)

jimbo333
04-29-2009, 07:04 PM

:twisted:In the right hands the 300i is a dangerous weapon:twisted:

It's the perfect racquet for me. I have a shorter flatter swing that is perfect for the 300i:)

plasma
04-29-2009, 08:17 PM
let's do an injection molded gator trade!!! I'm on a gator roll!!! (feel that equijet comin soon!!!)
http://i40.tinypic.com/219cck7.jpg
the graphics on the 300i are superb. When (if ever) have you seen muted colors in the same palete on a frame????? so subtle, so tasteful, different tones with the same brightness, god's surreal unfinished black and white oil painting of a 200g. I wanted to love her soooo bad. But not as thick, juicy and soft as my soulful educating friendly and real Serena-like 200g and 150g. I stopped answering her calls, it's over 300i...plenty of fish in the sea!!!!

jimbo333
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
The Equijet will be "snapping" its way over to you soon, definitely:)

v205
04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
But not everyone has the fitness level of a GS winner. :D

gymrat76
04-30-2009, 09:52 PM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/201737464_o.jpg

First time I picked up my Max200G and air swung it at my living room, it felt quite heavy. However, once at the court, with little early preparation, the racquet was moving like a swan!

The racquet had a loose synthetic gut on it first time I got it, and I was really enjoying "painting the lines" on both sides, due to extreme control you feel -as opposed to modern sticks. But the strings were moving like crazy.
So just few days ago, I decided to have it strung with a piece of VS gut that I HAD TO cut out of a PT630. I certainly don't want to break the bank for putting new strings on this racquet, which I don't normally play with. And my stringer fixed a lux poly for the crosses. Looking at me with a total puzzled face for seeing a Max200G, my stringer in fact asked me a good three times if I actually play with this bat! :)

Had the natty/poly combo strung at 55lbs. The racquet feels super powerful! I wish I had it strung with poly in mains!

My only little problem (and this problem did not occur when it had synthetic gut strings in it) is that, since you really feel that the racquet stiffens when hitting harder, or in a sense: changes gears; or drops gear when hitting touch shots: it is very hard to figure out how to thoroughly control the racquet. But, with gut strings, and a dampener, the racquet plays sooo smooth!!!

v205
04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I wonder how many was actually made and how many is still circulating around. :)

v205
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I think I read somewhere the McEnroe was using some Gamma Synthetic instead of Natural Gut?

cat6man
05-02-2009, 10:28 AM

not yet, but i hope to............picked it this morning restrung with VS gut at 54 lbs and the handle built up form 4 3/8 to 4 5/8..................i have to go out and swing it a bit this afternoon, then have a team practice tomorrow morning if it doesn't rain............summer leagues are starting up soon and if it plays like i remember, i will certainly use it in league play (i play 4.0 mens and master).

the only stick i've found close to this is the original volkl c10pro classic which is my current racquet but later c10 pro versions are terrible..............i just bought a lightly used c10 pro classic last night so i'll have a backup for my
current racquet........................between the original 200G and original c10pro classic, i should be in great shape

after i hit a bit, i'll let you know if 20-25 year old memories of a magical racquet survive modern day reality

plasma
05-02-2009, 03:38 PM
vs205, I can call connections and check the stats I estimate over a decade of production, maybe a million 200g's???
I began coaching almost 15 years ago, before playing 4 years of championship college ball. i am certified by the PTR ( a 21 stroke test which is far more difficult than many tournaments I've won!!!) I play exclusively with discountinued racquets. I see good/ decent players ( 5.5+) using matched ps 85's and pc 600's often. Wood tennis guy is a PTR rated 5.5 and he uses a 200g...

gymrat76
05-02-2009, 05:11 PM
vs205, I can call connections and check the stats I estimate over a decade of production, maybe a million 200g's???
I began coaching almost 15 years ago, before playing 4 years of championship college ball. i am certified by the PTR ( a 21 stroke test which is far more difficult than many tournaments I've won!!!) I play exclusively with discountinued racquets. I see good/ decent players ( 5.5+) using matched ps 85's and pc 600's often. Wood tennis guy is a PTR rated 5.5 and he uses a 200g...

So monsieur, did you get the matched bleu prestiges? :)

vsbabolat
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I think I read somewhere the McEnroe was using some Gamma Synthetic instead of Natural Gut?

During McEnroe's prime he used Amber colored Pacific Natural Gut. The last I heard McEnroe was using BDE Natural Gut.

Rorsach
05-06-2009, 02:53 AM
The Italian Stallion, also known to some of us as Massimo, has unearthed another gem. A friend of his gave him the item pictured, brand new, with the grip still covered:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3376/dunlopmax200gpro3366596.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1254/dunlopmax200gpro2366220.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2503/dunlopmax200gpro1365919.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8758/dunlopmax200gpro4365537.jpg

plasma
05-06-2009, 03:21 AM
that's amazing, which generation 200g is that? I hope to make tons of Shekels this year so I can meet all fellow rackaholics in person. For anyone who hasn't been to Italy...GO! Even the boring parts are magical, the people are beautiful, both physically and how they act and dress, and the food, even the most simple food, is equivalent to "top American gourmet cuisine". Italian pizza is sold by weight, cut to order from a square pan, I don't think an Itallian would let a dog crap on the Pizza they sell in my city, I miss New York, only good pizza in USA is in NYC, just go to the "Original" rays pizza (17 different pizzerias claim to be the original rays, the real original rays is on 6th ave. and 12th st.!)

Rorsach
05-06-2009, 05:27 AM
that's amazing, which generation 200g is that?

No idea. I've never seen a Pro in this livery before.

vsbabolat
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
No idea. I've never seen a Pro in this livery before.

In 1990 Dunlop sold the Max 200G Pro with those cosmetics in the U.S. I never saw one with a green grip though. I have a bunch of them with the tan grip. When I have the time I will post some photos of them. It maybe a while though. You should notic that on those racquets the word Hysol Grafil is missing. It just says Grafil

plasma
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
is the top of the hoop black or green? I have owned a green 200g with similar cosmetics. Initially it looked black, but was metallic green and not black...

jimbo333
05-06-2009, 01:01 PM
The Italian Stallion, also known to some of us as Massimo, has unearthed another gem. A friend of his gave him the item pictured, brand new, with the grip still covered:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3376/dunlopmax200gpro3366596.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1254/dunlopmax200gpro2366220.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2503/dunlopmax200gpro1365919.jpg

WOW! Superb looking racquet!

Very jealous:twisted:

jimbo333
05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
is the top of the hoop black or green? I have owned a green 200g with similar cosmetics. Initially it looked black, but was metallic green and not black...

I think all of these version graduated from black above grip, up to a metallic green at top of hoop?

Sure the mighty Vsbabolat will know:)

vsbabolat
05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I think all of these version graduated from black above grip, up to a metallic green at top of hoop?

Sure the mighty Vsbabolat will know:)

Yeah they all turned metallic green at the top of the hoop.:)

gymrat76
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
The new 200G I have at post #63 (and also linked below) came to me with a green string. Feels like a nylon, really outdated string, btw.

The racquet is brand new, unplayed, never seen court or ball, just that it does not have shrink wrap on the grip.

I am wondering if these Max200G racquets were strung at the factory, or, if the original owner strung them (and also tore shrink wrap) after purchasing them?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/200408336_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/201737364_o.jpg

vsbabolat
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
The new 200G I have at post #63 (and also linked below) came to me with a green string. Feels like a nylon, really outdated string, btw.

The racquet is brand new, unplayed, never seen court or ball, just that it does not have shrink wrap on the grip.

I am wondering if these Max200G racquets were strung at the factory, or, if the original owner strung them (and also tore shrink wrap) after purchasing them?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/200408336_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/201737364_o.jpg

I have never seen or heard of a pre-strung Max 200G.

cat6man
05-09-2009, 10:27 AM
well, i just bought an original 200G (double green line!) on **** and i'm going to see if the magic is still there or not.........it arrived today in great condition but is strung with some multi-colored stuff which will be replaced with gut at 54 pounds.............also will need to have them build up the handle a bit as the size was smaller than i normally play with

i've been using a volkl c10 pro classic since it was the closest i could find to the old 200G (in the days before **** made these racquets readily available again on the used market)

i hope to play with it this weekend..............will the old magic still be there???
i'm dying to find out

still waiting to find out.............i've strung it with gut and went out on the court to see if the old magic was there and..............

1. it felt quite heavy compared to my current volck c10 pro classic but i got used to that pretty quickly.........serves seemed to have some additional pop but............
2. however, the original leather grip is way to hard for my hand.........the grip is uncomfortable on (inherited) arthritic fingers (thanks a lot dad!) so i had the grip redone with a wilson grip that is much more cushioned and forgiving.......i'll get out again as soon as the rain stops here in the northeast (could be wait)

ilian
05-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I have never seen or heard of a pre-strung Max 200G.

Some of them used to come pre-strung. At least, the racquets we got in my tennis club, back in early nineties. They came with a 16 gauge synthetic gut and in several of the holes, there was white plastic tubing added for the string (mainly in the top center if I recall right).

gymrat76
05-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Well I asked if they came pre-strung, because I recall reading at an older thread, that someone bought the racquet (who knows when) with a green plasticky feeling string.

ilian
05-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Well I asked if they came pre-strung, because I recall reading at an older thread, that someone bought the racquet (who knows when) with a green plasticky feeling string.

I doubt that Dunlop strung their racquets with that string...

v205
05-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Any long term max 200g users succesfully moved on to Aerogel 100 or any other racket for that matter?

racquetfreak
05-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Some of them used to come pre-strung. At least, the racquets we got in my tennis club, back in early nineties. They came with a 16 gauge synthetic gut and in several of the holes, there was white plastic tubing added for the string (mainly in the top center if I recall right).

i have several with exactly that set-up.
as for the green string - i don't think it is a factory option. i suspect it may may Vollmer (Becker) Super String (came in natural or bright lime green) installed after purchase. it looks great in Max 200Gs, especially first generation, Head TXPs and Becker Winners.

ilian
05-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Any long term max 200g users succesfully moved on to Aerogel 100 or any other racket for that matter?

Most Max 200G users had to move to something else, but how succesful that was, I am not very confident about that, because my move wasn't succesful at all. When I switched from the Max 200G to another racquet, I felt as if my arm was cut off and an artificial one was put on its place... I feel this way to this day, no matter what racquet I get. And I was a junior national champion in my country, won against ATP ranked players, Davis Cup players, and played quarter finals at the nationals for men at the age of 15. I played on junior European championships and olympic games. All that with the Max 200G... At the end of that same year, I switched to a Head Prestige Classic and this was it for me in tennis. I kept on practicing just as before or harder, but at times I started losing to players I had never given more than 3 games per set before. Believe me, this drove me nuts, to say the least. But I was never able to change my faith. All that happened about 15 years ago. The worst thing was that I lived in a country where the economy was recovering (and it still is) from communism and there was no such thing as being able to test many racquets from a sports store and so on. On top of that, there was no one at the time to lead me into the lead tape world so that sealed my coffin for good.

Anyway, hopefully others had better experience transfering to another racquet.

strike
05-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Most Max 200G users had to move to something else, but how succesful that was, I am not very confident about that, because my move wasn't succesful at all. When I switched from the Max 200G to another racquet, I felt as if my arm was cut off and an artificial one was put on its place... I feel this way to this day, no matter what racquet I get. .

Interesting...

See my post from the other day: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=260548

I consider myself a racquet junkie...and have only ever been satisfied with 2 frames...

One of which is the Dunlop Max 200G.

I am still trying to find a suitable replacement. Currently trying the K95 and waiting on a MG Rad Pro.

gymrat76
05-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Most Max 200G users had to move to something else, but how succesful that was, I am not very confident about that, because my move wasn't succesful at all. When I switched from the Max 200G to another racquet, I felt as if my arm was cut off and an artificial one was put on its place... I feel this way to this day, no matter what racquet I get. And I was a junior national champion in my country, won against ATP ranked players, Davis Cup players, and played quarter finals at the nationals for men at the age of 15. I played on junior European championships and olympic games. All that with the Max 200G... At the end of that same year, I switched to a Head Prestige Classic and this was it for me in tennis. I kept on practicing just as before or harder, but at times I started losing to players I had never given more than 3 games per set before. Believe me, this drove me nuts, to say the least. But I was never able to change my faith. All that happened about 15 years ago. The worst thing was that I lived in a country where the economy was recovering (and it still is) from communism and there was no such thing as being able to test many racquets from a sports store and so on. On top of that, there was no one at the time to lead me into the lead tape world so that sealed my coffin fo good.

Anyway, hopefully others had better experience transfering to another racquet.

Hey Ilian,
Want to take your suggestion on stringing the Max200G. basically I strung one with vs touch in mains and lux fluro at crosses, at 55lbs...but the racquet is TOO powerful now...very smooth...but VERY powerful...I thought the natl gut was supposed to go well with this...

ilian
05-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey Ilian,
Want to take your suggestion on stringing the Max200G. basically I strung one with vs touch in mains and lux fluro at crosses, at 55lbs...but the racquet is TOO powerful now...very smooth...but VERY powerful...I thought the natl gut was supposed to go well with this...

You will have to experiment with the tension and you will get the right response. Also, keep in mind that what is good for one player, is not necessarily good for another. You should experiment with different gauges strings, strung at different tension. Do not be scared to try nylon strings and all other material varieties, because sometimes the answer comes from a place you least expect it to. For example, Michael Chang plays with a 15 gauge synthetic gut string at a not very high tension and a huge headsize, while Pete Sampras plays with 17-18 gauge natural gut at 74 lbs with an 85 sq. inch racquet, if I am not mistaken... Both of them are great players, but they have found comfort in completely different set ups. There are no boundaries with experimentation. Just keep in mind that your Max 200G is a softer, aged frame and it might not be able to take extremely high tensions. Let 55 be your starting point and average tension and try higher and lower than that. Good luck and report your results!

gymrat76
05-13-2009, 11:55 AM
You will have to experiment with the tension and you will get the right response. Also, keep in mind that what is good for one player, is not necessarily good for another. You should experiment with different gauges strings, strung at different tension. Do not be scared to try nylon strings and all other material varieties, because sometimes the answer comes from a place you least expect it to. For example, Michael Chang plays with a 15 gauge synthetic gut string at a not very high tension and a huge headsize, while Pete Sampras plays with 17-18 gauge natural gut at 74 lbs with an 85 sq. inch racquet, if I am not mistaken... Both of them are great players, but they have found comfort in completely different set ups. There are no boundaries with experimentation. Just keep in mind that your Max 200G is a softer, aged frame and it might not be able to take extremely high tensions. Let 55 be your starting point and average tension and try higher and lower than that. Good luck and report your results!

Thanks for the suggestion. well as for Max200G, do you think it is practicable to go higher than 55lbs? Racquet is all bueno, but dont want to end up with a spoon...

vsbabolat
05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. well as for Max200G, do you think it is practicable to go higher than 55lbs? Racquet is all bueno, but dont want to end up with a spoon...

Don't go above 55lbs. I think you should try a basic synthetic like Prince Synthetic Gut. That will most likely help with too much power.

ilian
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM

I have strung the Max 200G at 66 lbs and nothing happened to it, but I am a very experienced stringer and I make sure that the racquet is secured very good and I follow how it goes as I string... Also, you need to remember that there is sometimes a big difference from one stringing machine to another as there is from one stringer to another. But yes, you can string the Max 200G above 55 lbs. You decide for yourself, but if it were my racquet and I thought the tension was too low, I would string it higher. If you do though, make sure you use the exact same string-combo so you would get relevant comparison results.

gymrat76
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I have strung the Max 200G at 66 lbs and nothing happened to it, but I am a very experienced stringer and I make sure that the racquet is secured very good and I follow how it goes as I string... Also, you need to remember that there is sometimes a big difference from one stringing machine to another as there is from one stringer to another. But yes, you can string the Max 200G above 55 lbs. You decide for yourself, but if it were my racquet and I thought the tension was too low, I would string it higher. If you do though, make sure you use the exact same string-combo so you would get relevant comparison results.

Thanks as usual, Ilian!

Btw- Have you ever heard of a Dunlop Max 4000 Pro Boron? Just came across this racquet. Very thin beamed green (as in max200g) graphite racquet..

Bud
05-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Right then here we go:) I don't claim to be an expert, so this will need correcting, but this is all I know, and some of it is probably wrong!!!

If I start talking about the grips it's going to get a bit confusing, but the order is Black, Black with little Gold "Dunlop" written around it, then Brown leather "Fairway" and then Black Leather again, then Green leather, and then soft disintegrating grips which have all basically yes disintegrated if not wrapped!! Again I could well be wrong:)

Jimbo... I located my last remaining 200G and it's the version with McEnroe's signature on the side :)

jimbo333
05-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Jimbo... I located my last remaining 200G and it's the version with McEnroe's signature on the side :)

Hi, well if it's the "Wimbledon/US Open 84" version then I'm definitely interested:)

Will email you:)

racquetfreak
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Hi, well if it's the "Wimbledon/US Open 84" version then I'm definitely interested:)

me too!!!!! (10 char)

Bud
05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Jimbo... I located my last remaining 200G and it's the version with McEnroe's signature on the side

me too!!!!! (10 char)

Is this version difficult to find, these days?

I'll see if I can get a good pic... the graphics on these racquets was not good and this racquet appears to have been thoroughly enjoyed by its previous owner :-? :)

How did they get McEnroe's signature into the graphite? Was it engraved after the racquet was out of the mould? It appears to be engraved in fancy script... followed by Winner Wimbledon & US Open Mens Singles & Doubles

Bud
05-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Funny to note... on the opposite side of the throat, it states For Optimum Performance John McEnroe Recommends a String Tension of 55 lbs. :)

The two stripes on this racquet are both green. Chevrons appear green and gold.

It appears to have its original Fairway leather and the numbers 207 are embossed on the plastic collar above the grip.

racquetfreak
05-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Is this version difficult to find, these days?

I'll see if I can get a good pic... the graphics on these racquets was not good and this racquet appears to have been thoroughly enjoyed by its previous owner :-? :)

How did they get McEnroe's signature into the graphite? Was it engraved after the racquet was out of the mould? It appears to be engraved in fancy script... followed by Winner Wimbledon & US Open Mens Singles & Doubles

can you say hen's teeth - not much more difficult than finding those.

vsbabolat
05-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Here is a my rare Max 200G with the original cosmetics that celebrates John McEnroe winning the 1984 Wimbledon and U.S. Open in the same year with the Max 200G.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0054.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0055.jpg
I got this racquet new back in late 1984 or early 1985.

Bud
05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Funny to note... on the opposite side of the throat, it states For Optimum Performance John McEnroe Recommends a String Tension of 55 lbs. :)

The two stripes on this racquet are both green. Chevrons appear green and gold.

It appears to have its original Fairway leather and the numbers 207 are embossed on the plastic collar above the grip.

Here is a my rare Max 200G with the original cosmetics that celebrates John McEnroe winning the 1984 Wimbledon and U.S. Open in the same year with the Max 200G.

Hey VSB... on the opposite side... how does your read concerning the tension?

I can't quite make out the last part (it's scratched)... does it state For Optimum Performance John McEnroe Recommends a String Tension of 55 lbs. ?

vsbabolat
05-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Hey VSB... on the opposite side... how does your read concerning the tension?

I can't quite make out the last part (it's scratched)... does it state For Optimum Performance John McEnroe Recommends a String Tension of 55 lbs. ?

yes it does.

Bud
05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
yes it does.

Thanks! :)

dataseviltwin
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
yes it does.

Didn't Johnny Mac string 'em to something sick like 35?

Lendl started doing that... (yeah, I know... YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!) and as I recall Johnny Mac did it shortly thereafter - said it felt better (perhaps on his tennis elbow...).

jimbo333
05-16-2009, 01:51 AM

Hi, do you know if this was an import only frame i.e only available in the US?

I've never seen one of these in the UK, that's why I've had trouble getting one. I didn't realise that it was rare in the US. Is it really that difficult to find over there?

jimbo333
06-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Here is some info. that TennisMan might find useful re. Max200G:)

Bud
06-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Did you receive those two ceramic Dunlops, Jimbo?

jimbo333
06-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Did you receive those two ceramic Dunlops, Jimbo?

Yeah they arrived yesterday thanks:)

Fantastic looking racquets as well, I should have asked you to string one of them for me, so I could give it a hit straight away:)

Next time, please remind me if I want it strung or not please!!!

And thanks again, Superb as always:)

Bud
06-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah they arrived yesterday thanks:)

Fantastic looking racquets as well, I should have asked you to string one of them for me, so I could give it a hit straight away:)

Next time, please remind me if I want it strung or not please!!!

And thanks again, Superb as always:)

I will... and only charge $10 to string it... if I sell it :wink:

lousylogic
10-12-2009, 11:28 PM
To share with you my 17 max 200gs, which I am still playing with a few of them (though considering switching to Head Prestige or Radical, the weight of max 200g is too much for the aging me):

1 x 1st Gen (green + green strips, strips go pass the chevrons and continue to handle)

2 x 2nd Gen (green + green strips stop at chevrons, 1 of them is McEnroe 84 edition)

4 x 3rd Gen (green + gold strips join above chevrons, 1 is in light green and 1 is called "max GL")

3 x 4th Gen (Pro, no strip, gross finish)

2 x Grand Slam Edition

4 x 5th Gen (purple & green)

1 x paint job removed, no idea whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen.

Saw a few other versions around, dun know when I can collect the whole series ^^. Funny is even the covers got diff versions, even for the same pattern for 5th gen, i have long covers and short covers.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/109/35/706853708/n706853708_2594780_905534.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/109/35/706853708/n706853708_2594778_7144716.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/109/35/706853708/n706853708_2594779_8191759.jpg

Bud
10-12-2009, 11:33 PM
To share with you my 17 max 200gs, which I am still playing with a few of them (though considering switching to Head Prestige or Radical, the weight of max 200g is too much for the aging me):

1 x 1st Gen (green + green strips, strip continue to handle)

2 x 2nd Gen (green + green strips stops at arrow, 1 of them is McEnroe 84 edition)

4 x 3rd Gen (green + gold strips join above arrow, 1 is in light green and 1 is called "max GL")

2 x Grand Slam Edition

Saw a few other versions around, dun know when I can collect the whole series ^^. Funny is even the covers got diff versions, even for the same pattern for 5th gen, i have long covers and short covers.

^^^^^ Wowee! Nice collection there :shock:

MarrratSafin
10-13-2009, 02:05 AM

Oh my. This is just amazing to see! Wonderful collection.:):shock:

jimbo333
10-13-2009, 03:54 AM

1 x 1st Gen (green + green strips, strips go pass the chevrons and continue to handle)

2 x 2nd Gen (green + green strips stop at chevrons, 1 of them is McEnroe 84 edition)

4 x 3rd Gen (green + gold strips join above chevrons, 1 is in light green and 1 is called "max GL")

2 x Grand Slam Edition

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/109/35/706853708/n706853708_2594780_905534.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/109/35/706853708/n706853708_2594778_7144716.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/109/35/706853708/n706853708_2594779_8191759.jpg

Hey, what a great collection:)

You've got a few versions that I'm after as well, but I might have some you would like!

If you want to trade any with me, please get in touch!

ilian
10-13-2009, 06:15 AM
lousylogic,

That's a great collection!

lousylogic
10-14-2009, 04:53 AM

You've got a few versions that I'm after as well, but I might have some you would like!

Let's talk :)

shadowrtype
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
lousylogic thank you for sharing pictures of those gorgeous classics! My pulse is racing. Don't know if it is love or lust. I shall now go fondly caress the few beauties that I have. :)

jimbo333
10-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Let's talk :)

Yeah, send me a message some time, you can email me through my profile:)

By the way you mentioned covers/cases. Have you ever seen a full length green one with red/white writing? I'd never seen one until recently, and just added it to my collection:)

MarrratSafin
10-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah, send me a message some time, you can email me through my profile:)

By the way you mentioned covers/cases. Have you ever seen a full length green one with red/white writing? I'd never seen one until recently, and just added it to my collection:)

I've only got a half length green with red/white writing.:):(

jimbo333
10-15-2009, 04:12 AM
I've only got a half length green with red/white writing.:):(

Even these aren't that common to find!

But I didn't even know the full length green with red/white writing version existed until recently, and I've been collecting 200G's for years:)

tandayu
10-15-2009, 02:22 PM

2 x Grand Slam Edition

NICE, you are Johny Mac

If you can post more pictures individually showing details of each version, it will be a good for archives of this thread

Again nice collections

jimbo333
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
NICE, you are Johny Mac

If you can post more pictures individually showing details of each version, it will be a good for archives of this thread

Again nice collections

Yes, this is a good idea, Lousylogic please do this at some point, it shouldn't take long:):):)

The problem is with the 200G, is that there are so many versions, and everyone seems to name and number the different versions differently, if that makes sense!

RFRF
10-16-2009, 05:09 AM

thats fantastic! thanks.

lousylogic
10-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't have individual picture for each of them, just the below ones (i might have confused with which cover came with which racket, as there are some short covers not shown):

"2nd gen"
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217246896_627091896_1571305_336285_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217351896_627091896_1571325_834316_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217231896_627091896_1571302_534224_n.jpg

lousylogic
10-18-2009, 11:12 AM
"3rd"
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217236896_627091896_1571303_6997773_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217241896_627091896_1571304_1793036_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217346896_627091896_1571324_3040196_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217341896_627091896_1571323_2507884_n.jpg

lousylogic
10-18-2009, 11:13 AM
GS Edition
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217291896_627091896_1571314_3599607_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217276896_627091896_1571311_1312379_n.jpg

"4th"
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217251896_627091896_1571306_753060_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217256896_627091896_1571307_4982513_n.jpg

lousylogic
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
"5th"
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217266896_627091896_1571309_1512973_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217271896_627091896_1571310_1360570_n.jpg

and i post one more including other racquets I got (but w/o my newly brough YY R-23 & Head YK Radical MP)
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217326896_627091896_1571320_6370895_n.jpg

jimbo333
10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Gosh! That was quick, I am very impressed:)

jimbo333
10-18-2009, 02:12 PM
And like I said we all seem to call the different versions different names. What you've callled the 2nd Gen, i would tend to call that the 1st Gen. I tend to call the 2nd Gen the version with McEnroe Signature, that you havn't shown the photo of above. But it doesn't really matter; great racquets and great photos:)

jimbo333
10-18-2009, 02:20 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217246896_627091896_1571305_336285_n.jpg

This cover is quite rare I think, with the gold tubing around outside of case. I've only seen the one I've got and one in somebody elses collection. And when I say rare, I'm sure there are thousands made, but they aren't as common as some others!

It actually goes with what I tend to call the 2nd Gen, the one with the McEnroe signature!

jimbo333
10-18-2009, 02:27 PM
"4th"
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217251896_627091896_1571306_753060_n.jpg

This is another relatively rare cover, I also have one similar without the "Pro" words and a few other small differences, which is also quite difficult to track down!

jimbo333
10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
"3rd"
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217236896_627091896_1571303_6997773_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs006.snc1/2822_90217241896_627091896_1571304_1793036_n.jpg

The 200GL is the junior version and is 1" shorter than the normal 200G racket. If you want to trade this one with me, please get in touch via my profile:)

lousylogic
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
The 200GL is the junior version and is 1" shorter than the normal 200G racket. If you want to trade this one with me, please get in touch via my profile:)

Haha, I don't think I want to trade this one. However, as I have two GS editions, if there is something unique and in very good condition, I would seriously consider. :)

BigMac
11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
However, as I have two GS editions, if there is something unique and in very good condition, I would seriously consider. :)

Are you only collecting Dunlop?

Meaghan
11-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Can anyone give me any info on the racket with only one green arrow on it ??

jimbo333
11-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Can anyone give me any info on the racket with only one green arrow on it ??

Where on the frame is the one green arrow? If you mean on the throat, the gold arrow/chevron often gets worn off as the gold paint does not last as long as the green!

jimbo333
11-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Haha, I don't think I want to trade this one. However, as I have two GS editions, if there is something unique and in very good condition, I would seriously consider. :)

Hey, lousylogic, please send me a message through my profile, I definitely have some racquets you will be interested in:)

jimbo333
11-03-2009, 04:52 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/eklq8k.jpg

Thought I should try and post this photo of one of my 200G's here as well:)

Meaghan
11-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Where on the frame is the one green arrow? If you mean on the throat, the gold arrow/chevron often gets worn off as the gold paint does not last as long as the green!

This one Jimbo.....your thoughts ??

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab44/rmeaghan/BdPuMFQBGkKGrHqEOKi0Eq4L5mdBK4E46jt.jpg

jimbo333
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
^^^^^It's as I've described above, the gold paint around the throat has all faded or worn off!

jimbo333
11-06-2009, 05:22 AM

Hey, lousylogic, please send me a message through my profile, I definitely have some racquets you will be interested in!

Hi Lousylogic, looks like you are living up to your name and still not getting in touch with me:(

Here is another of my racquets, a very rare Max200GL PRO, the shorter Junior version:)

http://i38.tinypic.com/wcefyw.jpg

Bud
11-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Lousylogic, looks like you are living up to your name and still not getting in touch with me:(

Here is another of my racquets, a very rare Max200GL PRO, the shorter Junior version:)

I believe you're confusing him with Lousycommunicator... another TT member :mrgreen:

MarrratSafin
11-07-2009, 03:14 AM

Rare indeed, first time I've seen a L of this version! Thanks for posting.:)

peli_kan
11-07-2009, 03:50 AM
The pictures here are deadly beautiful. Thanks all for posting.

joe sch
11-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Back to the original focus of this thread, the real "secret" of the max 200g is not really a secret at all, but rather just playing this classic at the low end of the recommended stringing tension range. When strung at approx 50 lbs, this racket will have dynamic hitting properties that can not be matched by most any other racket ever produced and none of the modern rackets have this kind of flex and feel. This model actually played stiffer the faster your swing speed because of the properties of the grafil injection. The feel and touch provided for half vollies and a SV all court game are unsurpassed. The plow thru and stability of this frame on groundies and punch vollies is just magical. These are all qualities that can only be experiece by high level players able to play an allcourt attacking SV game and consistently hit the sweet spot on this 13+ oz 83" head. Playing natural gut is the ultimate matchup but even poly strings play great at low tensions on this classic. There are many other great playing classic rackets, like the kneissl white start lendl, that I also played last week and it also has great flex and feel. Sure wish more players would talk about the great playing qualities of these rackets and I would see more players playing the classic tennis game with these weapons, rather than just bashing winners from the baseline with the modern hyper stiff smasher rackets. If you are a player and a collector, I highly recommend taking many of your collected treasures to the court and experiencing the joys of classic tennis.

joe sch
11-07-2009, 06:15 AM

Virginia, I appreciate your creation of this post and providing that patent info that makes the max 200g soo special. Regarding your conclusion:

"Of course there's lots more, but I've just posted the above to whet your collective appetites!"

My point is that these properties Can Not be experiences by collector appetites, but only rather by only player experiences. Its a shame soo many of these classics are being hoarded by collectos and not being played by players :(

Virginia
11-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree, you need to play with them to appreciate them fully. I'd play with every single one, but my experimental phase has been put on hold, at least for the moment, because of recurring elbow problems. Because of that, I will always have to be somewhat cautious when playing with anything other than my trusty Prince Vortex. Perhaps in the New Year, if all goes well, I'll start playing with a few more of my classic frames.

By the way, I have played with the 200G and absolutely love it! Once my arm is stronger and my game has improved, I may very well go back to it, at least occasionally. :)

jimbo333
11-07-2009, 12:55 PM
My point is that these properties Can Not be experiences by collector appetites, but only rather by only player experiences. Its a shame soo many of these classics are being hoarded by collectos and not being played by players :(

Yes, I agree, especially with the 200G, it should never be strung above 55, and has a unique feel. It is still my second favourite racquet to play with after the 300i:)

And please sell me your "like new" T5000, I promise to play with it:)

I've never been able to hit a T5000 with the balance/buttcap attachment still attached, and would really like to see how the racquet feels in its complete original state!

jimbo333
11-07-2009, 03:51 PM
And another of my rare junior 200G, L version, this one from I think 1985, or could be 1986:)

http://i34.tinypic.com/mvjmyo.jpg

Virginia
11-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey Jimbo, you're posting pics now, like there's no tomorrow! LOL

jimbo333
11-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey Jimbo, you're posting pics now, like there's no tomorrow! LOL

LOL:)

Yeah, I've found a shortcut to upload, but I've now got a problem getting photos from my camera to my computer!

I sometimes think my computer is just trying to wind me up:shock:

By the way did you see the photos of my Snauwaert John McEnroe MCE001 in the Mcenroe racquets thread in the Pro Racquet section?

I found out it is actually a paint job of the Snauwaert Mikael Penfors Autograph!

Virginia
11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
No I didn't - on my way now!

jimbo333
11-07-2009, 05:11 PM
No I didn't - on my way now!

You'll like them:)

They aren't my photos, but it is my racquet!

joe sch
11-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree, you need to play with them to appreciate them fully. I'd play with every single one, but my experimental phase has been put on hold, at least for the moment, because of recurring elbow problems. Because of that, I will always have to be somewhat cautious when playing with anything other than my trusty Prince Vortex. Perhaps in the New Year, if all goes well, I'll start playing with a few more of my classic frames.

By the way, I have played with the 200G and absolutely love it! Once my arm is stronger and my game has improved, I may very well go back to it, at least occasionally. :)

I enjoyed playing the Vortex rackets when they came out, just snapped too many nice string jobs. Hope your arm gets stronger so you can enjoy those max 200g's, they are hefty and require a nice swing.

jimbo333
11-08-2009, 06:43 AM
This is my last 200GL, it is in mint condition with original grip and is the rarest junior 200G I reckon:)

I'll put up a close-up photo when I can get my camera/computer working again!

http://i33.tinypic.com/ngdlar.jpg

jimbo333
11-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Incidently these 200GL's are all same mold as normal 200G's, but are 1" shorter!

And they do not have the plastic collar above the grip!

lousylogic
11-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Are you only collecting Dunlop?

Yes, though I also own some other rackets too but I won't say that I am collecting them :)

lousylogic
11-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Have been very busy at work and at a tournament. Talk to you again soon.

jimbo333
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Well here is my promised close-up, of the last 200GL:)

http://i36.tinypic.com/30skopv.jpg

jimbo333
11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Why is my photo so big?

And how do I make it smaller please?

I hate computers!

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone know how to reduce size of my photos (easily please if possible)?

I don't want to put big photos like this on here, as it is really annoying!

MarrratSafin
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Anyone know how to reduce size of my photos (easily please if possible)?

I don't want to put big photos like this on here, as it is really annoying!

How did you upload your photos jimbo? I use tinypic.com and there is an option for resizing the photo at the first page of the photo upload. Usually 640x480 is enough for the forum.:)

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
How did you upload your photos jimbo? I use tinypic.com and there is an option for resizing the photo at the first page of the photo upload. Usually 640x480 is enough for the forum.:)

Yeah, thanks, I've been using tinypic as well, didn't see the resizing option, will go and have a look now, I may be a while!

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
That's better:)

http://i33.tinypic.com/2weauya.jpg

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
So these are the 4 versions of the junior Max200GL as far as I know!

Obviously 2 are the Max200GL PRO, but you know what I mean!

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Whoops........

MarrratSafin
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
So these are the 4 versions of the junior Max200GL as far as I know!

Obviously 2 are the Max200GL PRO, but you know what I mean!

Great pics Jimbo thanks for posting, you obviously have one of the best Max 200G collections. I hardly remember seeing any of these 200GL's at all.. only seen a few GL's in the gold+green lines version. Do you happen to have a GL of the red+white lines version?:twisted:

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 04:18 PM
First version of MAX200GL 1985

Second version 1988

Third version 1990

Fourth version 1991

There may be others though!

jimbo333
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Great pics Jimbo thanks for posting, you obviously have one of the best Max 200G collections. I hardly remember seeing any of these 200GL's at all.. only seen a few GL's in the gold+green lines version. Do you happen to have a GL of the red+white lines version?:twisted:

Cheers:)

The gold/green 2nd version is the one I havn't got yet, so if anyone has one I'd certainly like one of these:)

And I knew there would be other versions as well!

Oh, I do have a MAX400i L:shock:

jimbo333
11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
OK, I admit these Junior 200G's weren't that interesting, so at the weekend I'm going to show some photos of some 200G prototypes!

I promise these will be more interesting:)

jimbo333
11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
My prototype photos will hopefully be up here later today:)

And yes I am trying to build this up, as there may be at least one person here that knows more about these than I do, and I want to make sure he does see these photos, as I'd like to find out more about them!

BigMac
11-29-2009, 02:30 AM
My prototype photos will hopefully be up here later today:)

And yes I am trying to build this up, as there may be at least one person here that knows more about these than I do, and I want to make sure he does see these photos, as I'd like to find out more about them!

Bring them on :) not that I know anything about the 200g prototype but I would love to see it.

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Well here are the 2 Max200G prototypes I have:)

I think they are from 1987, prior to the 3rd generation in 1988, but I'm really not sure!

http://i47.tinypic.com/15g6l36.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2s13ona.jpg

The 2 racquets are identical mold. This mold went on to become the Max400i:)

And the second racquet is actually a Mid-Production racquet, and still has the metal alloy in it!

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 10:43 AM
That's better:)

that is not a max 200g. completely different racquet. looks like a 200g, but played nothing like it. I thought I had bought a fake it was soooo bad.

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Because the Mid-Production prototype still has the metal alloy in the frame, it is very heavy:)

http://i50.tinypic.com/23qxy6g.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2whh5k8.jpg

Yes, that is 2055 grams!

Which is 4 lbs and 8 1/2 ounces!

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
that is not a max 200g. completely different racquet. looks like a 200g, but played nothing like it. I thought I had bought a fake it was soooo bad.

No, it's a MAX200GL PRO:)

You've said many times that you think the 5th generation MAX200G are fake. They aren't fake, but are slightly lighter and stiffer than the other versions. They are still exact same mold and IMF like all the other versions, which cannot be faked!

vsbabolat
11-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Well here are the 2 Max200G prototypes I have:)

I think they are from 1987, prior to the 3rd generation in 1988, but I'm really not sure!

http://i47.tinypic.com/15g6l36.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2s13ona.jpg

The 2 racquets are identical mold. This mold went on to become the Max400i:)

And the second racquet is actually a Mid-Production racquet, and still has the metal alloy in it!

Nice Max400i Prototypes!!!!!!

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice Max400i Prototypes!!!!!!

These 2 are probably the only 2 racquets in my collection that I wouldn't trade for your Max200GT (prototype Max300i)!

Is 1987 a good guess at the year for these 2?

MarrratSafin
11-29-2009, 01:29 PM

It's definitely a genuine 200g only slightly different for being a later version, as jimbo said. And there are quite a few of these around in Asia, especially in Japan.

MarrratSafin
11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Because the Mid-Production prototype still has the metal alloy in the frame, it is very heavy:)

Yes, that is 2055 grams!

Wonderful collection!:) May I ask how did you acquire them?

I'd love to try playing with it like that, 2055g! Can imagine it'll produce a SUPER heavy ball.:twisted:

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Wonderful collection!:) May I ask how did you acquire them?

I got these from a Dunlop rep. All that he remembers is that they were in a box to be thrown out at Dunlop marked "200G"!

Luckily he rescued them:)

jimbo333
11-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd love to try playing with it like that, 2055g! Can imagine it'll produce a SUPER heavy ball.:twisted:

Well, the amazing thing is that, even though the metal alloy is still in the IMF Mid-Production racquet, it has the string holes in place!

So you could add come sort of grip pallet/grip and then string it up, and actually attempt to hit a ball!

Although I wouldn't advise it:twisted:

MarrratSafin
11-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I got these from a Dunlop rep. All that he remembers is that they were in a box to be thrown out at Dunlop marked "200G"!

Luckily he rescued them:)

Wow! Throw these out are they kidding? Luckily he saw them, that's the rescue of the decade!:)

MarrratSafin
11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Well, the amazing thing is that, even though the metal alloy is still in the IMF Mid-Production racquet, it has the string holes in place!

So you could add come sort of grip pallet/grip and then string it up, and actually attempt to hit a ball!

Although I wouldn't advise it:twisted:

:lol: I probably won't either. It'll be painful knowing it's ENORMOUS potential but just simply couldn't get to the ball in time.:shock:

Azzurri
11-29-2009, 06:44 PM
It's definitely a genuine 200g only slightly different for being a later version, as jimbo said. And there are quite a few of these around in Asia, especially in Japan.

I played the 200g from 1984-1992. i had 11 in all. this partucular racquet played nothing like the others. it was a piece of junk.

MarrratSafin
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I played the 200g from 1984-1992. i had 11 in all. this partucular racquet played nothing like the others. it was a piece of junk.

I've still yet to hit with one.:( Your opinion about this model is very interesting, if the chance comes along I'll definitely get one to try and see how different it is.

jimbo333
11-30-2009, 03:05 AM
I've still yet to hit with one.:( Your opinion about this model is very interesting, if the chance comes along I'll definitely get one to try and see how different it is.

I'm still looking for a New/Original Grip Sealed one of these for my collection, so if you find one like this please let me know, thanks:)

MarrratSafin
12-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm still looking for a New/Original Grip Sealed one of these for my collection, so if you find one like this please let me know, thanks:)

Grip sealed?:shock::lol:

Azzurri
12-01-2009, 04:03 AM

the original 200g's played very soft and flexy. The 200g was made of graphite, but felt like playing wood racquets. It just had this feel no other racquet has and the closest that I found to that soft feel is the Head Radical Twin Tube (mid 90's frame). But that late model "fake" 200g was a piece of tin. Maybe I did get an actual fake, who knows. But I played it only a few games, and I put it back in the bag and never played it again. Some time later a fellow wanted it and I gave it to him.

MarrratSafin
12-01-2009, 04:23 AM
the original 200g's played very soft and flexy. The 200g was made of graphite, but felt like playing wood racquets. It just had this feel no other racquet has and the closest that I found to that soft feel is the Head Radical Twin Tube (mid 90's frame). But that late model "fake" 200g was a piece of tin. Maybe I did get an actual fake, who knows. But I played it only a few games, and I put it back in the bag and never played it again. Some time later a fellow wanted it and I gave it to him.

I own the original Max 200g, the slightly later red/white stripes Max 200g and a handful of Radical Twintubes. Indeed they all have that wonderful soft, buttery feel but the Max 200g is still a lot more flexy than the Twintubes, but less so than woodies. The Twintube MP was my main racquet for a period.

The 2 versions of Max 200g I have play differently too. The original one seems to absorb vibration better and is a good 15g heavier than the red/white stripe version.

Virginia
12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry, wrong thread.

jimbo333
12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Sorry, wrong thread.

Honestly:)

peli_kan
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Sweeetness, I acquired two Dunlop Max 200g at a price I would've happily paid for just one. According to Jimbo's chart, they're from 1982 and 1986, two striped and one striped respectively. I won't have time to string and play with them until next week though, I don't feel like flunking out just yet.

tennis005
12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a teal max 200g?I heard it was only made in Australia.

jimbo333
12-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Anybody know if there is such a thing as a teal max 200g?I heard it was only made in Australia.

All Max200G's were made in the UK!

Are you talking about the light green coloured version with red/white chevrons from 88?

tennis005
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
It this one. On the bay. Number is 170416290537

jimbo333
12-08-2009, 04:58 PM

It's the version I mentioned above!

tennis005
12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
You said light green. I said teal.:)

jimbo333
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
You said light green. I said teal.:)

I actually said light green/grey realised it wasn't really grey so changed it, suppose it could look teal:)

TMR
12-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Hey, that racquet used to be mine!
I sold it here on TT a while ago:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295475

tennis005
12-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I actually said light green/grey realised it wasn't really grey so changed it, suppose it could look teal:)

How about we settle our differences and say it is a light green/teal.:)

jimbo333
12-11-2009, 03:29 AM
How about we settle our differences and say it is a light green/teal.:)

Well the top of that racket is actually dark green:)

tennis005
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Well the top of that racket is actually dark green:)

How about light green/dark green/teal?:)

jimbo333
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
How about light green/dark green/teal?:)

No, more like teal/light green/dark green:)

tennis005
12-11-2009, 04:07 PM
How about we just say the racket is colored:)

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
It is basically a light green, with red and white chevrons, and those are my last words on the subject:)

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM

http://i50.tinypic.com/23qxy6g.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2whh5k8.jpg

Yes, that is 2055 grams!

I thought there may be more interest in this, as it really does actually show the secret of the IMF racquets!

I'm actually confused as to why this mid production racquet has string holes. I thought the metal alloy would still be in the holes at this stage? Can anyone explain? I'm confused about this.

vsbabolat
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I thought there may be more interest in this, as it really does actually show the secret of the IMF racquets!

I'm actually confused as to why this mid production racquet has string holes. I thought the metal alloy would still be in the holes at this stage? Can anyone explain? I'm confused about this.

Well, you see the holes are in the metal alloy. Then chips of a Matrix of graphite and nylon are melted and injected around the metal alloy making the racket you see in the photo with the string holes molded in teh frame by the metal alloy that is in the center of the racket. No holes are drilled in a real Injected Molded Frame.

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Well, you see the holes are in the metal alloy. Then chips of a Matrix of graphite and nylon are melted and injected around the metal alloy making the racket you see in the photo with the string holes molded in teh frame by the metal alloy that is in the center of the racket. No holes are drilled in a real Injected Molded Frame.

Thanks:) Although I do realise there are no holes drilled in a normal IMF racquet:shock:

But am still confused, as the metal alloy is still in this frame (it is mid-production), but not in the holes! Why not, shouldn't the metal alloy still be in the string holes at this point of production before it is melted off to create the holes?

Sorry, I may be being really stupid, but I still don't get it!

vsbabolat
12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks:) Although I do realise there are no holes drilled in a normal IMF racquet:shock:

But am still confused, as the metal alloy is still in this frame (it is mid-production), but not in the holes! Why not, shouldn't the metal alloy still be in the string holes at this point of production before it is melted off to create the holes?

Sorry, I may be being really stupid, but I still don't get it!

There is no metal in the holes because the graphite completely encapsulates the metal alloy. The metal alloy has holes in it, the graphite is injected all the way around it completely encapsulating the the metal alloy. That is why you have those interior pillars supporting the holes in side the racket.

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM
There is no metal in the holes because the graphite completely encapsulates the metal alloy. The metal alloy has holes in it, the graphite is injected all the way around it completely encapsulating the the metal alloy. That is why you have those interior pillars supporting the holes in side the racket.

Unfortunately I still don't understand why the string holes are made, if there is no metal alloy there, or no other mold? What's stopping the injected graphite from filling the string hole, if there is no metal alloy there? Sorry, you have explained it well, but I'm just not getting it:(

Is it just me that doen't understand this?

I'm normally good at getting this sort of stuff. I have got a Physics degree as well!

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
^^^And your photos from page 1 of this thread, showing the internal pillars, have disappeared:(

vsbabolat
12-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately I still don't understand why the string holes are made, if there is no metal alloy there, or no other mold? What's stopping the injected graphite from filling the string hole, if there is no metal alloy there? Sorry, you have explained it well, but I'm just not getting it:(

Is it just me that doen't understand this?

I'm normally good at getting this sort of stuff. I have got a Physics degree as well!

I don't have a degree in physics. So here is a layman's explanation of the Injection Molded Process. First there is a casting of a low melting point alloy core. The alloy core is then put in the injection molding machine. A Compound of GRAPHITE and NYLON is Melted and then injected around the alloy core. Once the graphite and Nylon is cooled the Alloy core is heated up so it melts and then poured out of the frame. This leaves individual string holes that have pillars inside the frame.
I understand what you are saying. When the alloy Core is in injection molding machine it makes sure the holes are formed properly.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0056.jpg

Racketdesign
12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
If what I was told when I joined Dunlop was true, the pillar formation was actually an acident.

In the alloy casting, the holes were made larger than planned. When it was put inside the injection tool, the second set of pins did not touch the sides of the casting as they should have. This allowed the carbon nylon mix to form pillars around the formed holes.. instead of standard holes.

It was viewed as a problem initialy as it restricted the flow out of the alloy and occasionaly trapped some of the alloy inside the frame making some racquets overweight. However,

The formation of the pillars assisted the strength / stiffness of the fame quite a bit and was actually a key part of the patent covering the frame. Only once it expired was prince allowed to launch its range of "pre formed" string hold frames.

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't have a degree in physics. So here is a layman's explanation of the Injection Molded Process. First there is a casting of a low melting point alloy core. The alloy core is then put in the injection molding machine. A Compound of GRAPHITE and NYLON is Melted and then injected around the alloy core. Once the graphite and Nylon is cooled the Alloy core is heated up so it melts and then poured out of the frame. This leaves individual string holes that have pillars inside the frame.
I understand what you are saying. When the alloy Core is in injection molding machine it makes sure the holes are formed properly.

Yes, I have forgotten about the molding machine!

I knew there must be another element in the process, and that is it, I think I get it now, thanks very much:)

And if you can please get those photos back up, I'd really like to see them again:)

(And the Physics degree was useless, I've never needed it in almost 20 years of work)

Racketdesign
12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Jimbo... your location and the fact you have that frame with the casting inside makes me think I might know you... do i ?

vsbabolat
12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0066.jpg

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 06:14 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0066.jpg

Superb thanks:)

And I'm really tempted to cut open my racquet with the alloy in, but I just can't as it would ruin it, still really tempted though!

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Jimbo... your location and the fact you have that frame with the casting inside makes me think I might know you... do i ?

No, I'm quite sure you don't know me!

I actually got this mid-production Max400i IMF from a Dunlop Rep in the US amazingly, along with a lot of other very interesting Dunlop frames from 70's and 80's!

Would like to speak to you about Dunlop sometime, I'm easily contactable through my profile:)

jimbo333
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
If what I was told when I joined Dunlop was true, the pillar formation was actually an acident.

In the alloy casting, the holes were made larger than planned. When it was put inside the injection tool, the second set of pins did not touch the sides of the casting as they should have. This allowed the carbon nylon mix to form pillars around the formed holes.. instead of standard holes.

It was viewed as a problem initialy as it restricted the flow out of the alloy and occasionaly trapped some of the alloy inside the frame making some racquets overweight. However,

The formation of the pillars assisted the strength / stiffness of the fame quite a bit and was actually a key part of the patent covering the frame. Only once it expired was prince allowed to launch its range of "pre formed" string hold frames.

Really interesting stuff, would definitely like to speak to you about Dunlop racquets at some point:)

tennis005
12-14-2009, 07:02 PM
It is basically a light green, with red and white chevrons, and those are my last words on the subject:)

Agreed. 10 char

tennis005
12-14-2009, 07:04 PM

Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for the info!:)

Rorsach
12-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Some nice stuff in here.

All i've got to show are a bunch of used ones:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4707/img1998a.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5593/img2001gj.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9007/img1997ir.jpg

dubbelfel
08-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Hello, i found one dunlop Max 200 Grand slam special edition numbered and one Green Max 200 when i cleaned the garage, these are My wifes old racket, in good condition. You guys seems to know a lot about dunlop and we wonder if these rackets are rare. Regards P

MarrratSafin
08-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Hello, i found one dunlop Max 200 Grand slam special edition numbered and one Green Max 200 when i cleaned the garage, these are My wifes old racket, in good condition. You guys seems to know a lot about dunlop and we wonder if these rackets are rare. Regards P

Yup, at least the Grand Slam SE is pretty rare and worth quite a lot if condition is good. The normal green one is not that rare but still worth a bit. Great finds!:)

hrstrat57
08-24-2010, 07:05 AM
I was thinking as I browsed thru this thread how ironic it is that such a radical design is considered "classic"

Some crazy engineering in my Max 200g's!!

(they continue to call out to me from the closet!!)

ilian
01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
To the top!!! This thread is way too cool to be forgotten! Let's keep this alive until someone gets tired of it and resurrects the injection moulding process for tennis racquets... :)

ritton07
01-09-2012, 01:05 AM
...it's a personal opinion, but I think that a very few classic racquets have the same "appeal" of these two sisters...

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab146/ritton07/dunlop-max-150g--max-200g.jpg

joe sch
01-09-2012, 05:05 PM
To the top!!! This thread is way too cool to be forgotten! Let's keep this alive until someone gets tired of it and resurrects the injection moulding process for tennis racquets... :)

Agree ...

Im surprised with all the players experimenting with silicon nobody is trying graphite injection moulding. Below is some info to help motivate some players looking for an a way to transform you modern air shell.

http://www.scientific.net/KEM.471-472.109

Hannah19
01-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I found a mint MAX 600i IMF.......today in a thrift store!!!

One downside...it's a squash racket. Never new they made IMF squash rackets, so I took it as an addition to my IMF collection.

ilian
01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Agree ...

Im surprised with all the players experimenting with silicon nobody is trying graphite injection moulding. Below is some info to help motivate some players looking for an a way to transform you modern air shell.

http://www.scientific.net/KEM.471-472.109

Interesting!

The thing is, even if the whole racquet cannot be made injection moulded for the reasons Dunlop wasn't able to make it in bigger head size, they may be able to at least make some parts of the racquet injection moulded and others the conventional way. That might be still better than the stiff crap sold today...

ilian
01-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Just got that sentimental feeling and bought a Max 500i, Max 200G and two Max 400i racquets on the big auction site... Can't wait to hit with the Max 400i, because I never have before... All I need now is a Max 150G and I will have the complete IMF Dunlop series! Just need to find a reasonable price for one. :)

TCTEN
01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Got a slightly beat up (but structurally sound) 200g about a month ago, cleaned it up and restrung with a full bed of Rip control. I have hit with it a few times and all I can say is WOW... what a wonderful stick. Excellent control and just a joy to hit volleys with:). I just might have to find another one....;-)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i440/TCTEN/DSC02119.jpg

Hannah19
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Got a slightly beat up (but structurally sound) 200g about a month ago, cleaned it up and restrung with a full bed of Rip control. I have hit with it a few times and all I can say is WOW... what a wonderful stick. Excellent control and just a joy to hit volleys with:). I might just have to find another one....;-)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i440/TCTEN/DSC02119.jpg

TCTEN, I've got a mint L 4 3/8 FS on the big auction site.
With ew fairway leather grip.
Check it out,
Hans

yonexRx32
02-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Someone mentioned a few years ago on a thread that they have a video of the Max 200g with Graf, McEnroe, and manufacturing images. Anyone that has the video and is willing to share it?

craniopath
02-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Is there any reason to buy one and not the other if I have the opportunity? Not from the collectability value perspective.

On Dino's wonderfully informatiove RDC log it looks like the swingweight of 2nd generation is lower than 1st. I'm thinking this could actually be appealing to me. I wonder whether the general experience is that 2nd gen swings easier? any other input will also be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Mick
03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
It's a pity i can't play like her :-)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2iay5hi.jpg

OriginalHockeytowner
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Just got that sentimental feeling and bought a Max 500i, Max 200G and two Max 400i racquets on the big auction sit

I just picked up a Max 200G too, I've never hit anything like it in my life! Reading other players' descriptions of it really tunes me into how special it is.

OriginalHockeytowner
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg42/scaled.php?server=42&filename=kgrhqzhjb8e63o8re0bo0uo.jpg&res=medium

In the eternal words of Han Solo, "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts." Although I'm not crazy about the grip, and the golden-yellow strings don't make it look any younger!

Hannah19
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
^^^ most MAX 200G's don't look like much but play like Han Solo's wet dream :)

I've sanded one down, not a time consuming job since most of it was already gone anyway. Then I gave it a few coats of glossy black paint, put a white MAX 200VTG (Vintage Tennis Gems) logo on it and strung it with nat.gut.
What more does a player need?

OriginalHockeytowner
03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
^^^ most MAX 200G's don't look like much but play like Han Solo's wet dream :)

I've sanded one down, not a time consuming job since most of it was already gone anyway. Then I gave it a few coats of glossy black paint, put a white MAX 200VTG (Vintage Tennis Gems) logo on it and strung it with nat.gut.
What more does a player need?

hahaha that sounds amazing, I should try that, because the cosmetic on mine is pretty much gone. But I think if I did paint it, I would keep it flat black, kind of like the black primer look for hot rods!

OriginalHockeytowner
03-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Hit with the Max for a solid 2 hours today, what an experience! You really have to be "on" to hit with it, but I've never hit shots like I have with the Max. I have to constantly remind myself to get out of the way, let the racquet do the work, and keep things smooth, but it absolutely paints the lines.

I've taken some flak from my tennis friends for playing such an old, "outdated" racquet, but I've never played better. The best part about it, is that it gets me to focus so much on smooth, fluid swings, that I play very well when I switch back to my Wilson.

One of my hitting partners tried it out for a few rallies -- he later remarked that he framed far fewer shots with the Max than with his Gamma OS, despite the nearly 40 sq. in. headsize difference.

joe sch
03-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Hit with the Max for a solid 2 hours today, what an experience! You really have to be "on" to hit with it, but I've never hit shots like I have with the Max. I have to constantly remind myself to get out of the way, let the racquet do the work, and keep things smooth, but it absolutely paints the lines.

I've taken some flak from my tennis friends for playing such an old, "outdated" racquet, but I've never played better. The best part about it, is that it gets me to focus so much on smooth, fluid swings, that I play very well when I switch back to my Wilson.

One of my hitting partners tried it out for a few rallies -- he later remarked that he framed far fewer shots with the Max than with his Gamma OS, despite the nearly 40 sq. in. headsize difference.

Very correct in your assessment that "you need to get out of the way and let the racket do the work". If you prepare early and can get the weight of the max200g moving relaxed into the strokes, it will really make hitting the ball a pleasure. Whats really cool is that when strung at low tension with natural gut, it makes almost no sound and hits bullets. Some of the guys I use to play would comment that it was difficult to anticipate the returns. I especially like that advantage when blasting serves and coming in for the volley. These were ofcourse some of the advantages that McEnroe enjoyed, along with being a very skilled lefty.

OriginalHockeytowner
03-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Every time I play with this racquet, I play better. It's becoming more difficult to put it down and pick up my Blade Tour after awhile. What started as a cheap fleabay find and a "warm-up racquet" to unfreeze my strokes could potentially become my main stick. Only my shoulder protests that decision, as the racquet does leave it pretty sore.

Is there anything with a similar feel that is a bit lighter-weight, or is the Max truly one of a kind in feel?

ilian
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Every time I play with this racquet, I play better. It's becoming more difficult to put it down and pick up my Blade Tour after awhile. What started as a cheap fleabay find and a "warm-up racquet" to unfreeze my strokes could potentially become my main stick. Only my shoulder protests that decision, as the racquet does leave it pretty sore.

Is there anything with a similar feel that is a bit lighter-weight, or is the Max truly one of a kind in feel?

One of a kind... The 400i and could be a tad bit lighter, but not by much.

Hannah19
03-26-2012, 01:03 AM
One of a kind... The 400i and could be a tad bit lighter, but not by much.

I put the 400i on the scale and came up with a 15 gr difference to the old 200G. It's a bit more headlight though.

OriginalHockeytowner
03-26-2012, 06:57 AM
I put the 400i on the scale and came up with a 15 gr difference to the old 200G. It's a bit more headlight though.

Thank you guys for the responses!

15 grams, probably not enough to save my poor shoulder, eh? :)

Honestly, I think it's just residual soreness from a botched overhead attempt about a month ago, that was pre-Max 200G, too. I'll just have to keep it nice and loose.

max
03-26-2012, 09:17 AM
OK. Here's an interesting story. I title it: "My Dentist Told Me to Change My Tennis Racquet"
-------------------------------------

Confession (good for the soul, eh?): I used the Dunlop Max 200 G for about ten or twelve years. Phenomenal racquet. Wonderful for attacking the net, those approach shots and half-volleys and volleys are spectacular!

But I could not get much power on my serve with her.

One dentist visit, the guy asked me if I was stressed or couldn't sleep at night. He said I was grinding my teeth. Well, I had plenty of shoulder pain from my rotator cuff problem. (I'd tried therapy, etc., but to no end).

It was, as it turned out, my Dunlop Max 200 G that was causing me to swing harder on the serve, causing greater shoulder pain, thus causing the teeth grinding!

So I canned the racquet. Adios. I bought a flexy, somewhat less heavy frame, and. . . the shoulder pain went away, the grinding stopped.

I'm thinking of restringing one of my Dunlops and messing around with her. . . but again I just think I'd hurt myself trying to get a big serve out of it.

OriginalHockeytowner
03-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Max, thanks for the tip, but I can't possibly change now! :)

michaelscoots
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Just picked up a double green stripe Max200G at a thrift store. They had it listed for $8. I pointed to the fact that it was warped and I got it for $5. I played with it today with what appear to be 20 year old strings in the upper 20's! Oh, and it was also missing the last cross string on the job. Anyway, with the warp and missing string, and dead job in the 20's - it still played pretty amazing! Now I need to find a straight one!

Ronaldo
03-28-2012, 08:18 PM
OK. Here's an interesting story. I title it: "My Dentist Told Me to Change My Tennis Racquet"
-------------------------------------

Confession (good for the soul, eh?): I used the Dunlop Max 200 G for about ten or twelve years. Phenomenal racquet. Wonderful for attacking the net, those approach shots and half-volleys and volleys are spectacular!

But I could not get much power on my serve with her.

One dentist visit, the guy asked me if I was stressed or couldn't sleep at night. He said I was grinding my teeth. Well, I had plenty of shoulder pain from my rotator cuff problem. (I'd tried therapy, etc., but to no end).

It was, as it turned out, my Dunlop Max 200 G that was causing me to swing harder on the serve, causing greater shoulder pain, thus causing the teeth grinding!

So I canned the racquet. Adios. I bought a flexy, somewhat less heavy frame, and. . . the shoulder pain went away, the grinding stopped.

I'm thinking of restringing one of my Dunlops and messing around with her. . . but again I just think I'd hurt myself trying to get a big serve out of it.

No problem serving with the Max 200G but it weighs nearly 14 oz. Still have a NOS Max 200G and Revelation 200G. Two top ten racquets of all time.