PDA

View Full Version : Should Federer switch to full-poly set?

PaulC
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Should Federer switch to full-poly set?

Given that his major problem nowaday is no longer trading backhand topspin, but rather when he attack them with the inside-out forehand with full force... I recall some TV stats showed he missed nearly 2/3 when he tried that.

I test-switched to a few softer full-poly sets (Big Ace, Polyfibre TCS etc) from my regular poly/syn or gut/poly with some good results on these shots against the lefty dirt-baller types that I used to have problem with.

BTW, I did also tried to switch to mid+ frames like Dunlop AG 200G 16x19 for 2 months+, but did not yield good results:

1. Fly way too many balls compared with the mids with the same strokes (despite higher string tension).

2. The sweetspot for mid+ frame is higher than mids (which is lower according to Wilson's graphic depiction), which I just can't seems to get used to.

3. Anything thicker than 18-19mm beam just feel so different (a little more bulky? but maybe it's just me)

Again, maybe it's just me, but the string switch alone seems to help more than other things.

gj011
03-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes and he needs a bigger frame :roll:

saram
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM

cute....:???:

bladepdb
03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
It has nothing to do with the string and everything to do with how he's playing. If you're a pro at the level Federer is at, and you have hit such exquisite shots as his forehands in 04-07, changing strings won't save you. I am of the opinion that it is just his mental game, that he is not being as aggressive as he used to be, putting himself in defensive positions then awkwardly going on the offense, etc.

He just can't do those things I described above as gracefully as he used to be able to. That is his biggest hit in terms of his game. Sure he misses more, but who doesn't as one gets (tennis) older? His forehand is still a weapon and one of the best in the business.

By the way, changing to poly would probably slow it down too/put more toll on him to generate more racquet speed.

TennezSport
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
This is an excerpt from the USRSA Daily News reports for today. Could be something in the works to get Fed back on track. Now I wish he would add Gil Reyes.

"Cahill and Federer Could be the Next Connection

Roger Federer said little during his brief appearance at the Barclays Championships player party last week in Dubai, but Daily Tennis News has learned that Federer has been working with top coach Darren Cahill in Dubai to see if they have a connection.
The 32-year-old former mentor to Andre Agassi recently stepped down from Australian Davis Cup coaching duties, saying he didn't have the time.
Las Vegas-based Cahill still maintains a tight connection with the Agassi empire while also having a special link with Federer. The Swiss No. 2 has been without a true coach for years, taking on Tony Roche and Jose Higueras for limited periods over recent seasons.
Cahill from Adelaide, is a sentimental link to the past for Federer, who is allegedly tending to a back problem at his base in Dubai and will miss this weekend's Davis Cup tie in Alabama against Andy Roddick and the US.
Cahill and Federer enjoy their karmic connection through Cahill's hometown of Adelaide. Cahill was a childhood friend of Peter Carter, Federer's first coach who was tragically killed in a car crash in South Africa in 2002.
The basis of Federer's mighty game was forged in Australian style by Carter, whom Federer has never forgotten and still hails as his first "real" coach."

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

mg.dc
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Federer just needs to convert break points.

dtrain
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Federer should change to a bigger racquet, use full poly, start playing left handed and also use a two handed backhand. LOL. Oh I forgot, he should hire Uncle Toni as his coach.

crazylevity
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Seriously, how many times does it have to be said that what WE change about our games (no matter how similar we like to THINK we and Federer are) is NOT APPLICABLE to a 13 time slam champion?

JediMindTrick
03-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Federer needs to switch to a bigger racquet!

RalphNYC
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
This is exactly right. When you watch the early Federer he was very aggressive. Most likely because he was just playing his brand of tennis and wasn't thinking about breaking every record in the history books. As time passed people starting calling him the best ever and started expecting him to surpass every stat. We mortals can not understand this pressure. I'm actually incredibly impressed that he has keep his head together well enough under this pressure to perform as well as he has since 2006. It has nothing to do with the string and everything to do with how he's playing. If you're a pro at the level Federer is at, and you have hit such exquisite shots as his forehands in 04-07, changing strings won't save you. I am of the opinion that it is just his mental game, that he is not being as aggressive as he used to be, putting himself in defensive positions then awkwardly going on the offense, etc.

He just can't do those things I described above as gracefully as he used to be able to. That is his biggest hit in terms of his game. Sure he misses more, but who doesn't as one gets (tennis) older? His forehand is still a weapon and one of the best in the business.

By the way, changing to poly would probably slow it down too/put more toll on him to generate more racquet speed.

Staiger
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
no , never

tennis_hand
03-05-2009, 10:13 PM
at Fed's level, i don't see how a bigger head will damage his game. isn't there a reason he changed from his PS85 to a 90? he said he shanked too many balls.

he should learn from Tiger Woods and upgrade himself as the competition changes. There is no shame that a pro changes racket or string, or whatever it is. It is only about winning.

000KFACTOR90000
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh I forgot, he should hire Uncle Toni as his coach. :)

Seriously Darren Cahill & Gil Reyes would be the dream team.

(K)evin
03-06-2009, 12:38 AM
This is an excerpt from the USRSA Daily News reports for today. Could be something in the works to get Fed back on track. Now I wish he would add Gil Reyes.

Roger Federer said little during his brief appearance at the Barclays Championships player party last week in Dubai, but Daily Tennis News has learned that Federer has been working with top coach Darren Cahill in Dubai to see if they have a connection.
The 32-year-old former mentor to Andre Agassi recently stepped down from Australian Davis Cup coaching duties, saying he didn't have the time.
Las Vegas-based Cahill still maintains a tight connection with the Agassi empire while also having a special link with Federer. The Swiss No. 2 has been without a true coach for years, taking on Tony Roche and Jose Higueras for limited periods over recent seasons.
Cahill from Adelaide, is a sentimental link to the past for Federer, who is allegedly tending to a back problem at his base in Dubai and will miss this weekend's Davis Cup tie in Alabama against Andy Roddick and the US.
Cahill and Federer enjoy their karmic connection through Cahill's hometown of Adelaide. Cahill was a childhood friend of Peter Carter, Federer's first coach who was tragically killed in a car crash in South Africa in 2002.
The basis of Federer's mighty game was forged in Australian style by Carter, whom Federer has never forgotten and still hails as his first "real" coach."

I think its going to be awesome if chaill is fed's new coach just think his first real coach's close friend might bring fed back from this mental slum it make me wonder about what might happen this season and next season

blue12
03-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I thought I already answered this.
He needs a Spanish girlfriend, then he will beat Nadal easily.

Tempest344
03-06-2009, 02:14 AM
that would not really do a lot for him..at the level he plays

but I think if he starts serving with his nose he has a chance

caulcano
03-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Federer just needs to convert break points.

... get a coach & some psychological help while he's at it.

Cup8489
03-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Federer needs to switch to a bigger racquet!

wrong.

wrong. (maybe djokovic should switch, since he's been playing like garbage. so much for your hero. one slam wonder, anyone?)

I thought I already answered this.
He needs a Spanish girlfriend, then he will beat Nadal easily.

well played. i concur :)

Cahill and Reyes....Uncle Toni would pee his pants ;)

tahiti
03-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Fed's' tools are fine. It's the man on the other side of the net he has to conquer. He's beating all the others still.......generally.

RoddickAce
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Just wait till Cahill actually works with him, maybe his potential coach will be able to advise him about this?

tenis
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Actually, it's VERY funny, how many of you guys know, what Roger should do.....incredible !!!

127mph
03-06-2009, 07:02 PM
gut and bb original then he will get massive spin and plow the ball.

Mansewerz
03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
So, are Federer and cahill still together?

Rabbit
03-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Great post, thanks. Article is really wrong about one thing though...Cahill may look 32, but he's actually 44. Reading that, I was thrown for a loop. Cahill younger than Agassi? I checked....it ain't so.

I hope Federer will give Cahill a chance. Cahill seems like a guy who's spot on.