PDA

View Full Version : my coach told me i shouldn't have bought my PC600

DX_Psycho
03-03-2005, 07:35 PM
he said that it's for "advanced" players.

however, i like it. it plays a lot more flexible than my prostaff classic 6.1 and the feel is just so good when i know where the ball is going when i hit it.

anyways... i noticed that my wrist sometimes hurts after playing for awhile but if i stop playing for a couple hours it stops hurting. is this normal or am i doing something wrong? i open my wrist for better top spin so could that be it?

Power Game
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM

It is. If you are playing at a competitive level (which you seem to be since you have a coach) you should consider a racquet that helps your game rather than one that "feels" good. This is not a knock on any of the Prestige 600s (I play with them) but you may need to consider some alternatives. Wrist pain is not a good sign, it can be symptoms of various things, which without knowing more about you and your game can be hard to distinguish.

DX_Psycho
03-03-2005, 07:47 PM
it has helped my game.

Power Game
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
it has helped my game.
If this is the case, then it sounds like you found the right racquet! Don't worry about what your coach says. You may want to strengthen your wrist though.... What are you stringing with? Have your coach take a close look at your technique to make sure it isn't what is causing your pain.

Kirko
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
you're coach whats his backround in tennis; thne start wondering about his advice. anyone can play the prestige pro and do well. people have not changed actually they're stronger and bigger . get a lesson from a real teaching pro have him or her look at your grips and pay attention.

NoBadMojo
03-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Question please..when you guys say you have a coach, are you meaning like a high school team coach or something, or are you referring to a teaching professional?

Power Game
03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Question please..when you guys say you have a coach, are you meaning like a high school team coach or something, or are you referring to a teaching professional?

Good question. Some school coaches are useless...

Alex
03-03-2005, 08:14 PM
The most important thing is to play with a raquet that feel comfortable and suitable for yourself.

Wrist pain can be caused by many factors. Do a search on the health forum to learn more about wrist pain.

Your wrist pain ... probably is caused by the grip and swinging style.
The shape of the grip on the Head PC600 is different from Wilson prostaff classic 6.1. Try to adjust your swinging style a little, may be it will get rid of the pain.

Hope this help!!

DX_Psycho
03-03-2005, 08:24 PM
i'm talking about my school coach. my wrist was already hurting with the prostaff classic. i thought it was hurting because it was a lot stiffer. it does hurt less now though. i am stringing it with prince synthetic gut duraflex 17 and i use an eastern grip.

FuriousYellow
03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
That's all he said? He didn't say why you should be using a different racquet like, you're swinging late, or hitting the frame a lot, or lacking depth on your groundstrokes?

DX_Psycho
03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
he just said that it's for advanced players so i shouldn't have wasted my money on it.

Ryoma Kun
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
if u were playing wtih a psc6.1 i see no reason why he would be dissin you on the prestige. kick his *** with it and he wont talk anymore.

the prestige classic is by far one of the best racquets, plus it will force you to develop good form.

you should consider other racquets as well though, but whatever works for you.

PrestigeClassic
03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
What tension are you using? You might want to drop by about 10 percent whatever was in your 6.1. Between those sticks, the flex and most importantly, the pattern, are like night and day. Remember that the recommended tension range on the Prestige is 48-58 pounds--seven pounds less than that of the 6.1. If your wrist pain comes back, remember that the tight pattern and flexible frame really reward gut, even if it's just in a hybrid. A hybrid with the string you're using now sounds like it would be excellent.

james_R
03-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Well, basically you said it: You feel an improvement in your game since using the racquet, you find it less painful and you like the feel and control you get from it. The improvement is probably purely down to you getting more confident because you like the feel, which is a good thing. Dont let anyone else tell you what you should think.

NoBadMojo
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
impossible to tell based on what Psycho sez and without a good teaching pro watching him play, but likely his coach is right. also a Prestige Clasic not struck consistently solidly can cause people problems including their wrist in spite of the prestige classic soft playing 'mystique'. i dont think anyone even asked him what string he is using..if a poly, ouch on the wrist especially if coulped w. something like the PC..also i dont think anyone asked him his playing ablity..they just jump in and say that a demanding frame like the PC is fine...

Exci
03-04-2005, 07:56 AM

however, i like it. it plays a lot more flexible than my prostaff classic 6.1 and the feel is just so good when i know where the ball is going when i hit it.

And a prostaff classic 6.1 isn't advanced then? I reckon the prostaff is tougher to handle than your new prestige classic. If it suits you, don't worry about it then. Who cares if it's "advanced"? I play with these so called "advanced" racquets, but I prefer them over those very light starter sticks.

Out of curiousity, he probably think you should buy a Pure Drive? In my opinion, to unleash the full potential of that racquet, that is advanced!

Power Game
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
i dont think anyone even asked him what string he is using..if a poly, ouch on the wrist especially if coulped w. something like the PC..

I did....

"
What are you stringing with? Have your coach take a close look at your technique to make sure it isn't what is causing your pain.
"

NoBadMojo
03-04-2005, 10:02 AM
cool beans PG..my bad.

Power Game
03-04-2005, 11:55 AM
cool beans PG..my bad.
I was just joking.... :D

mrwise
03-04-2005, 12:04 PM
This to me is the problem with some high school players. They think that having a "players racket" is going to make them a player. If you are willing to put in a lot of time and effort into your game then I am sure that you will not have any trouble with this racket later on. I have a player that uses the PS 6.0 85. He likes the way it feels and yet his game suffers from his use of this racket. He has a lot more errors and sometimes is very late in getting his racket through on certain shots. I have tried to get him to switch, but he is probably going to stick with this racket. He is basically a 3 months a year HS player. This might be where your coach is coming from, but none of us can doubt your coach's comments without seeing you play or know the entire situation.

james_R
03-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I think I agree somewhat with Ed and some of the other posters. Despite my previous post saying that if you like the feel and think you have made an improvment, it is of course worthwhile taking in the whole picture. So I mederate my response to maybe you should give another racquet, recommended by a teaching pro a good trial? Obviously switching from something like a heavy, thin beamed racquet to a slightly thicker and lighter racquet is going to feel awkward, but if the potential of your game improves in the long run, what harm is there in trying? Keep your PC600 until your sure. Maybe to save cost you should see if a mate playing tennis who has a spare racquet more like what your coach recommends will borrow it to you for a couple of weeks/a month to see what you think about the general effect on your game when you've had time to acquint yourself. Obviously the racquet may not be ideal for you, but it'd help you to clarify what you want and need from a racquet at your current and near future level.

spinbalz
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Wrist pain with PC 600 but not with the stiffer PC Classic 6.1? Perhaps that you have a tendancy to miss the small sweetspot with the PC 600? I'm not 100% sure that it is the cause of your wrist pain, because I never saw you play, my point is just a suggestion...

What string an tension do you use? Usually soft string at low-medium tensions work well with the PC 600.

Richie Rich
03-04-2005, 03:56 PM
if you like the racquet keep playing with it. play around with strings though. i found a good multi or gut makes the pc classics play so much nicer than syn gut. may be hard if you are a student but nobadmojo (props to ed - i use same set up and is sweet) uses a nice hybrid that doesn't cost more than a good multi and plays so much better.

DX_Psycho
03-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Wrist pain with PC 600 but not with the stiffer PC Classic 6.1? Perhaps that you have a tendancy to miss the small sweetspot with the PC 600? I'm not 100% sure that it is the cause of your wrist pain, because I never saw you play, my point is just a suggestion...

What string an tension do you use? Usually soft string at low-medium tensions work well with the PC 600.

i said that it hurt MORE with the PSC6.1

Rackethead
03-05-2005, 09:32 AM
The PC600 is very sensitive to tension and is an older racquet. So, the 48-58 recommended is for a crank-type machine. If you are using a constant pull then I would drop this to about 43-53 lbs (48 is nice). Also, it uses a leather grip which can be a little hard. You might consider rewrapping with something like a Wilson TL-Gel or Gamma Gel grip to reduce wrist impact.

DX_Psycho
03-05-2005, 01:33 PM
well i went to lessons with it today (from my lessons coach, not school coach) and he didn't say anything about it.