PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Fed, what would you do?

richied
03-05-2009, 01:41 AM
If you were Fed's coach and tomorrow was your first practice. What would you tell him to work on before the French.

1) I'd definately 'see' if he could step in any earlier to try and negate Nadal's crosscourt forehand before for it gets to high to have total control !!!!(if possible) Also, I'd try and get him driving more down the line on the backhand and coming in.

2) I'd try and install some confidence in his volley again (might be a surprize tactic, could be useful or will fail badly)

3) Lastly, I'd get him practising short and slow slicing balls that bounce in and around the service line. I'm interested to see if he can keep it lower enough to bring Nadal to the net...obviously not the easiest shot to hit when Nadals firing head shots at you.

Big-Serve
03-05-2009, 01:53 AM
fitness and be more aggressive...

Giggs The Red Devil
03-05-2009, 02:48 AM
I’d focus on his serve. A better serve and the rest of his game stays at the same level, he’ll be able to win one or two more slams during the next couple of years. Maybe.

EikelBeiter
03-05-2009, 02:50 AM
I'd say: "Fire me! and hire Darren Cahill"

Rhino
03-05-2009, 02:52 AM
i would say "stop crying and remember who you are".

ThA_Azn_DeViL
03-05-2009, 03:52 AM
I'd tell him to adjust his game accordingly to different people, sometimes hitting on the rise is effective, other times you get screwed over by heavy topspin users (hint...).

I'd have him improve his backhand drastically to where it actually is a weapon, make his forehand more aggressive.

Lastly his serves, anyone could use those, but over time hes lost his deadly serve and his number of aces have gone down.

Gorecki
03-05-2009, 03:58 AM
my first drill:100 m sprints, touch the box and come back...

(what box?????)

http://www.iconocast.com/00005_Portu/T0/News5_2.jpg

mzzmuaa
03-05-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm sure that's what you were running towards during that first time that your coach drilled you.

dataseviltwin
03-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Get your pretty-boy, wearin' a belt for tennis @$$ to the net... work on approach shots... serve and volley. Remember how you used to hit groundies... HARD. Take the court away from the opponent before they take it away from you. That... and get a coach... Killer, Winning Ugly (if you can stand him...), or Johnny Mac even...

breadstick
03-05-2009, 04:48 AM
I'd try to restore his confidence at the net. Top spin means almost nothing if it doesn't bounce :).

That said, they still drop really quickly which can be difficult to handle.

Gorecki
03-05-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm sure that's what you were running towards during that first time that your coach drilled you.

no.. actually that's where i run to everytime you post!

Sentinel
03-05-2009, 06:55 AM
If you were Fed's coach and tomorrow was your first practice. What would you tell him to work on before the French.

1) I'd definately 'see' if he could step in any earlier to try and negate Nadal's crosscourt forehand before for it gets to high to have total control !!!!(if possible) Also, I'd try and get him driving more down the line on the backhand and coming in.
iirc, nadals cc fh has sidespin on it too, and often a bit unpredictable on the clay. So stepping in could be a problem - just a thought.

sureshs
03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
I will tell him to:

Start his feet moving earlier and recover faster.

Continue to work on the backhand which has certainly improved.

Tank earlier in the rounds if it looks like he might meet Nadal in the final, because he ain't going to win ever.

Underhand
03-05-2009, 07:23 AM
I'd ban the man purse.

jmjmkim
03-05-2009, 07:26 AM
You know the scene from the old "Happy Days" when Fonzy looks in the mirror to comb his hair, and then just relaxes and says "Aaaaay..."

I would look at Roger, get ready to say something, and then just say "Aaaaay . . . ." because he is poetry in motion. A work of Art!

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I would tell him to get fired up on court and stop taking every slam loss as if it's the end of the world, immature negative attitude that is not helping.

icedevil0289
03-05-2009, 07:31 AM
I would tell him to get fired up on court and stop taking every slam loss as if it's the end of the world, immature negative attitude that is not helping.

I think it was just one. Don't exaggerate.

saram
03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
I'd ban the man purse.

Spit my coffee out with that one. That was good.

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I think it was just one. Don't exaggerate.
No, he was devastated after W too. Anyway he's thinking too much about the record, he should just forget about it, "que sera sera!"

icedevil0289
03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
No, he was devastated after W too. Anyway he's thinking too much about the record, he should just forget about it "que sera sera!"

wimbledon I can understand. His reaction was not nearly as much as it was after AO though. Its not just him who is thinking too much about the record. The media probably puts a lot of pressure as well. I wish he had the attitude of nadal, so he wouldn't let the pressure get to him.

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
That's why I would give him that advice but maybe he can't, I would just encourage him to try and shake the pressure off any way he can, easier said than done I know! And Federer has been known in the past for not heeding coaches' advice. I guess he needs to do things on his own terms. Can that state of mind be changed or is it ingrained? I really don't know.

doublebreak
03-05-2009, 09:03 AM

2) I'd try and install some confidence in his volley again (might be a surprize tactic, could be useful or will fail badly)

3) Lastly, I'd get him practising short and slow slicing balls that bounce in and around the service line. I'm interested to see if he can keep it lower enough to bring Nadal to the net...obviously not the easiest shot to hit when Nadals firing head shots at you.

I agree with pretty much all of it. If I was his coach I would work on getting the right mind set and work on a plan to be executed pretty much on any surface. It is clear Nadal will be around for awhile barring some catastrophic injury and that taking the FO from him would be a monumental achievement. He has to be realistic and decide what his goals are. In order to get the most majors record and if he wants to make an effort to regain the #1 spot he needs to change the way he plays against Nadal. He has to swallow his pride and forget about playing on his terms. He has to find ways to make Nadal uncomfortable, to make him think a little bit more, in other words, he has to take a look at some of Gilbert's pointers to win ugly. I see no other way. I would say he has to use a combination of aggression and variety. Offend with his weapons (fh and serve) and use variety with his bh and at net. Instincts are a big part of when to use what, but some systemic approach would help. I would offer the following ideas (of course some would not be very effective on clay, but what can you do on clay against Nadal anyway):

1. Years ago I would have said Federer needs to work on using a more extreme bh grip to deal with high balls. That's out of the question now. Variety is his main bh asset, he essentially has the same grip for volley, slice, and top spin bh, so you can't tell what he'll do from his back swing. He has to mix it up. Agree with taking it early and angle it cross court, but not a percentage shot. So, he should mix it with a dtl heavy deep slice into the corner and drop shots on both sides of the court. The idea is not to make him so comfortable that he can camp behind the baseline.

2. Volleys, yes. He should come in a lot more, he'll get passed many times but the key is variety again and some anticipation. To try to come in different ways. Behind a flat fh might be the worst choice. Federer needs to try some trickery, to sneak in late behind a weak bh and hit a volley on no mans land and make quick diagonal adjustments and hit half volleys. The key again is to make Nadal uncomfortable so that he has change his shot on a dime (from high deep to low angled, flat and deep is not common).

3. Slice is key, I disagree with going for the service line, it works on many players because but not Nadal. It has to be deep and heavy or drop shot (I know Fed doen't like them but they are key). With all the variety, you want Nadal to loose a fraction of a second in his reactions so that when Fed hits a heavy slice dtl, Nadal gets there and has to hit it well below his waist. Then that's where you jump on and go for a fh winner.

4. Serve must be working. If not, there's no chance. He has to hit aces and force errors and hold with relative ease.

5. Return, again, aggression and variety. Be aggressive on 2nd serves. Nadal serves to his bh all the time. Jump around it several times, he'll look like a fool sometimes but it's worth it. Make Nadal tweak his play book a little bit. Hit a drop shot off the return, chip and charge. It may seem desperate but it doesn't matter, desperate measures are required.

6. Forehand, think running angled cross court for a winner (maybe give Sampras a call). This shot must work if not he's toasted. He has to get some respect out of his fh so that he can cheat a little bit on his bh side and run around some of them. Variety of spins is good here too.

7. Movement, look at Murray. Be aggressive and get inside the baseline, move in diagonally and cut the angled shots and go for it.

8. Basically, make Nadal think. He has to break his focus somehow, at least weaken it a little bit. When Nadal plays Federer he's on auto pilot, he need to change that, make him hesitate, surprise him. Murray is fairly successful at that sometimes. Federer definitely has the hands and the ability to bring a little unpredictability on his game. His bh is never going to be a weapon, but is good enough to have a good mix of shots.

Hopefully he has the drive to improve and work and at least make those matches much more interesting.

mzzmuaa
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
He was so devastated after losing Wimbledon that he won the next slam, made it to the final of the AO, and hired a coach to get in top form for the season.
What a negative attitude

NamRanger
03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I'd tell him to just hit every ball as hard as possible, hold serve, and give Nadal no rhythm. But hey, that's how I play x_X

certifiedjatt
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
i would say:

1. you have 13 grand slams. you're doing something right. keep doing that.

2. don't take any technical advice, fitness advice, equipment advice, from anyone, especially people on a friggin' internet forum

3. rafael nadal is just better. it isn't how many more forehands you hit during practice, or how early you take a backhand. it'll just be who's having a better day the next time you meet him.

4. keep doing what you're doing, minus the man purse, and the pretentious regal outfits at wimbledon.

tahiti
03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Get down and grind boy otherwise it just ain't gonna happen.

seffina
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
1. Be totally giggly for.. 10 days?
2. Leave

Seriously, though, I couldn't possibly coach him in any way, but the one thing that I believe in and think he mostly does is play to his strengths. Although I agree that you should improve your weaknesses, one should always play to your strengths.

nn
03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
it is mention in the beginning read..

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AjVMap.dojcJsFll1rwkoZE4v7YF?slug=afp-tennisdavisusasui&prov=afp&type=lgns

mordecai
03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't change much.

I would have fed devote the large majority of his time to his forehand, footwork/fitness, and serve in that order.

Tactically I would have him start slicing his backhand more and more often. It's easier to change direction off of a heavily topspun shot from your opponent when you slice it back. This way Federer could protect his backhand and keep slicing dtl. Keep hugging the baseline and slicing the ball to Nadal's backhand. Force Nadal to test Fed's forehand if he wants to open up the rally. I would have him practice the shot combination of stepping in on his backhand, slicing dtl, then hugging the baseline and putting the ball away hard with his forehand on the next shot.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
03-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't change much, but I would give him pep talks. I'd restore confidence in him and make him think once again that he can be unbeatable, but the only person who can do that is himself.

prosealster
03-05-2009, 04:50 PM
i'd get him to see a psychologist, and also use the short cross court shots more when nads is deep...instead of keep trying to hit thru him all the time

random guy
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I would have a great time traveling around the world, getting vip treatment, hanging in the players parties and maybe having my own line of cosmetic products.

Oh wait, you were asking about Roger's game? I just read the thread title. :P

Nadal_Freak
03-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Learn the two-handed backhand as a secret weapon against Nadal.

Mick
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
i would wear nadal's clothing to practice with him, so that he could get over the mental block :)

OTMPut
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I will simply make him watch 2001 wimby 4th round match. Again and again. A hundred times.

VivalaVida
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Roger is way to good a player for my coaching. I will probably mess his game up even more. Leave this job to the expert tennis analysts such as Cahill, toni nadal, Lundgren etc.