PDA

View Full Version : Best player not to win a grand slam?

richied
03-05-2009, 06:07 AM
In golf they always talk about the best player not to win a major. It's Sergio Garcia or Montgomery at the moment. What about tennis? Best player not to win a slam. Tiger woods always says you need a little luck now and again to win a slam. There must be some serious hard luck stories from the past.

smart_player
03-05-2009, 06:10 AM
from mid 90's-present:Tim Henman, so much class:)

soyizgood
03-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Henman didn't even make a final. Mecir won the '88 Olympics, but failed in two slam finals. Rios at least made it to a finals. Todd Martin was a better player than Henman as well.

oranges
03-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Nalbandian and Rios come to mind

miyagi
03-05-2009, 06:23 AM
from mid 90's-present:Tim Henman, so much class:)

Never was a Henman fan thought he was a HUGE choker!

Rios maybe? Nalbandian?

ESP#1
03-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I have to say Nalbandian hands down, the match he lost against Roddick at the U.S Open change the direction of his entire career, on his best day he beats Nadal and Roger easy,

Gorecki
03-05-2009, 06:29 AM
rios, nalbo, mecir, arazi, paradorn, santoro...

so many players that never got it

boredone3456
03-05-2009, 06:36 AM
In terms of the current crop of players on the tour I would have to say Haas, Murray and Nalbandian.

jaggy
03-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Pam Shriver

diegaa
03-05-2009, 06:40 AM
rios, nalbo, mecir, arazi, paradorn, santoro...

so many players that never got it

schrichapan???? come on!! you can do better than this gorecki....

At the top of my list must be Rios by far. Nalbandian in these days could be in the list too...

ESP#1
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
I think Rios played in less competitive times than Nalby, i was young but if i recall he seemed to come in when alot of the top dogs where past their prime, i did really like his game though, very entertaining

Gorecki
03-05-2009, 06:51 AM
schrichapan???? come on!! you can do better than this gorecki....

At the top of my list must be Rios by far. Nalbandian in these days could be in the list too...

what's with Paradorn Diegaa? i happen to believe he is very talented and an incredible shotmaker...

you dont? may i know why?:neutral:

diegaa
03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
well, i just think the guy had a flush and then ran out of gas. Consistency through the years is a quality that top players must have. Paradorn just didn't have it. You may argue nalbandian dont have it either, but the guy has been up there for many years now.

vive le beau jeu !
03-05-2009, 07:00 AM
what's with Paradorn Diegaa? i happen to believe he is very talented and an incredible shotmaker...

you dont? may i know why?:neutral:
paradorn was really great to watch ! :)
too bad we don't see him anymore... :(

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Currently Davydenko, Nalbandian, Tsonga and Murray, maybe even Gonzalez and Blake.

Gorecki
03-05-2009, 07:12 AM
well, i just think the guy had a flush and then ran out of gas. Consistency through the years is a quality that top players must have. Paradorn just didn't have it. You may argue nalbandian dont have it either, but the guy has been up there for many years now.

ah.. ok... i was thinking that you didnt realy see my point. :) guess you ar eright with that point... but what about rios? just the same thing no?

paradorn was really great to watch ! :)
too bad we don't see him anymore... :(

i agree...

vive le beau jeu !
03-05-2009, 07:16 AM
i agree...
sometimes i watch youtube these highlights of the basel SF vs federer... that was a cool tight match ! :)

Sentinel
03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Davydenko.

(Murray is only 21 and rising, so won't mention him)

Gorecki
03-05-2009, 07:30 AM
sometimes i watch youtube these highlights of the basel SF vs federer... that was a cool tight match ! :)

everytime i play at saturday morning, i watch that video just ot see those sick forehands both players were shoting and i go to the court singing my mantra...

ps:yes... i am! you know what!

about the other deleted thread, tha stencil is not a P. it was the original head stencil. this is my stencil:

http://ohmtao.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/ohm_tao.jpg

saram
03-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Currently Davydenko, Nalbandian, Tsonga and Murray, maybe even Gonzalez and Blake.

I'll agree with all of those.

NickC
03-05-2009, 08:00 AM
David "gordo" Nalbandian, Marcelo Rios, or Tim Henman.

oranges
03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
In terms of the current crop of players on the tour I would have to say Haas, Murray and Nalbandian.

Haasi never made it to the final. sadly. I'm convinced he would have AO had he beaten Marat in that five-setter in 2002 :(

Blake has never made it past the quarters and even that is a rarity, with good reason I might add.

thejoe
03-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Cedric Pioline? JMac thinks so.

Sir Andrew of Roddick
03-05-2009, 08:19 AM
You have to include Guillermo Coria in this list, the 2004 french open was his, but he couldn't do it. Definitely had the talent to win at least one slam.

tintin
03-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Blake? you cannot be serious? :roll: :lol:
Blake cannot even make it to the semis of a major and we're talking slam winner.It's an insult to the likes of Nalbandian,Tsonga,Davydenko,Murray,Henman,Rios,Haa s and even Gonzalez
Blake?please!:roll:

NamRanger
03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Cedric Pioline? JMac thinks so.

That guy was a beast. Had all the game to win one.

mental midget
03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
pioline, rios, forget.

thejoe
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM

From what I've seen of him, I'm inclined to agree.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Dunno but I thought Pam Shriver won a Grand Slam doubles title with someone during the 80s, can't remember who though. Thought it was at the US Open.

tahiti
03-05-2009, 11:20 AM

My choice too. Thinking about it. It would be really funny to hear Davydenko give a speech....we never hear him much.

devila
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Blake's a winner of opportunities for book sales and Davis Cup adulation.
All coming from taking Davis Cup credit from Roddick's wins. And breaking his neck on a
net post, having facial paralysis..., self-pity for having a dead father, and not taking tennis seriously because he had spinal curvature.

tahiti
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Blake's a winner of opportunities for book sales and Davis Cup adulation.
All coming from taking Davis Cup credit from Roddick's wins. And breaking his neck on a
net post, having facial paralysis..., self-pity for having a dead father, and not taking tennis seriously because he had spinal curvature.

That Devila, I just find plain mean. Have a little respect for someone who succeeded against great adversity.

ESP#1
03-05-2009, 11:27 AM

I agree, i liked his game alot, guy forget had alot of game also, not the best but deserves to be mentioned

edberg505
03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Blake? you cannot be serious? :roll: :lol:
Blake cannot even make it to the semis of a major and we're talking slam winner.It's an insult to the likes of Nalbandian,Tsonga,Davydenko,Murray,Henman,Rios,Haa s and even Gonzalez
Blake?please!:roll:

Well, apparently they just give out the number 4 ranking in the world to anyone.

edberg505
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM

There are plenty of words I would use to describe Pioline, but beast is certainly not one them.

devila
03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
That Devila, I just find plain mean. Have a little respect for someone who succeeded against great adversity.
He didn't seem to expect Nadal to do damage on grass events, especially in the 2007 Wimbledon debacle. Federer was talking about a good line call for Nadal as an awful "killing" moment.

The year before, Pat McEnroe, defended him for reaching #4, and laughing in front of Roddick about it. Mr. Nice Man Blake....not exactly Arthur Ashe/Obama.

oranges
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
He didn't seem to expect Nadal to do damage on grass events, especially in the 2007 Wimbledon debacle. Federer was talking about a good line call for Nadal as an awful "killing" moment.
What on earth has this got to do with Blake, LOL.

The year before, Pat McEnroe, defended him for reaching #4, and laughing in front of Roddick about it. Mr. Nice Man Blake....not exactly Arthur Ashe/Obama.

This may have to do with him, but is irrelevant to the issue of winning or not wining slams. You just told us you strongly dislike him. Never would have guessed otherwise.

boredone3456
03-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Dunno but I thought Pam Shriver won a Grand Slam doubles title with someone during the 80s, can't remember who though. Thought it was at the US Open.

She made the US Open Final in 1978, losing in straight sets to Chris Evert. She lost every slam semi-final she played after losing to Navratilova 4 times, Graf 2 times, and 1 time each to Evert and Mandlikova. She only won 1 set in those 8 semi-final loses, against Mandlikova at the 1982 US Open. Shriver was talented...but the others around her were more so. Although someone with her talent today would probably win a few majors. She, along with Sukova, are probably the 2 most talented women in the open era not to win a slam singles title, but that is becase of the era they competed in.

She did however win a multitude of Grand Slam doubles titles, 20 partnering Martina Navratilova and 1 partnering Natasha Zvereva, only dropping 8 sets in those 21 victories.

Cyan
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Nalbandian.

He has reached all 4 slams SF. The others that have done this are Fed, Rafa, Nole and Safin and all of them won at least a slam.

devila
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
What on earth has this got to do with Blake, LOL.

This may have to do with him, but is irrelevant to the issue of winning or not wining slams. You just told us you strongly dislike him. Never would have guessed otherwise.
I was stating the obvious about Blake's obsession with the other players'
failures and so-called immorality (like Gonzalez' win over Blake in the Olympics). He got lots of support from clowns like Justin Gimelstob and Cliff Drysdale....as soon as he faced failure with bad strategy, a mindless bashing, one-dimensional game, and lucky draw (reaching #4 with no in-form opponents). He's 30 this year; nothing's improving--both attitude and intelligence.

Ripster
03-05-2009, 12:33 PM
David Nalbandian by far. He's reached all the slam semi-finals, made the Wimbledon final, beat all the current top players (sometimes easily,) won the TMC, he's pretty much done everything besides winning the big one. He should have won that 2003 US Open semi-final.

oranges
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I was stating the obvious about Blake's obsession with the other players'
failures and so-called immorality (like Gonzalez' win over Blake in the Olympics). He got lots of support from clowns like Justin Gimelstob and Cliff Drysdale....as soon as he faced failure with bad strategy, a mindless bashing, one-dimensional game, and lucky draw (reaching #4 with no in-form opponents). He's 30 this year; nothing's improving--both attitude and intelligence.

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with his ability or lack thereof of winning a slam, which happens to be the topic. BTW, that had to be some luck with the draw to reach No4 by sheer luck alone. With such luck perhaps he should have won a slam after all and I should revise my opinion :lol:

P_Agony
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Davydenko anyone?

gocard02
03-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Anna Kournikova

edberg505
03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with his ability or lack thereof of winning a slam, which happens to be the topic. BTW, that had to be some luck with the draw to reach No4 by sheer luck alone. With such luck perhaps he should have won a slam after all and I should revise my opinion :lol:

Yeah, and I thought Federer was lucky. James Blake has him beat by a mile!!!

svijk
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Mark Phillipousis....final at wimby and US....had the potential to win either but ran into some tough oppo....and of course he was injured the time

NamRanger
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Mark Phillipousis....final at wimby and US....had the potential to win either but ran into some tough oppo....and of course he was injured the time

That guy was so good. Yet so bad at times.

boredone3456
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM

He may be one of the most inconsistant guys to play on the tour in recent years. He at times was so tuned in he could challenge anybody, then he had days where he was wildly erratic and couldn't seem to land the ball near the lines at all. On his good days he was phenominal, but more often than not he was at best mediocre, especially at the slams. I really thought he had a good chance at the 1998 US Open, but he was just subpar for the majority of the match, a real dissapointing performance even though it was his first slam final. He was definitely a talented player...but best to win a major..I don't know about that.

hoosierbr
03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Cedric Pioline. Had every shot just not the luck - played Sampras in both Grand Slam finals.

tsongafan
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
tsonga definitley tsonga but tsonga just temporarily

Gorecki
03-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Cedric Pioline. Had every shot just not the luck - played Sampras in both Grand Slam finals.

nice catch. heck of a player

goes to show how wrong and delusional some kids are around here when they talk about pioline has being weak competition against sampras...

ps: usually they proceed to compare against roddick...:confused:

SaintClaires
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
The best player not to win a grand slam is Santiago Ventura

tintin
03-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, apparently they just give out the number 4 ranking in the world to anyone.

yeah he played in every bloody hard court tournaments that year and especially when Nadal and Federer weren't around.Only way for him to win;we all know that.No matter how much the USTA rigs those draws for James;he still can't do shYt about it:roll: :lol:

I'll add Grosjean too.I mean the guy made 3 semis at W

Ocean Drive
03-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Henman by a mile.

oranges
03-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Henman by a mile.

What mile is that, LOL, guys with more talent, better GS results and better H2H against the top guns of their time have already been mentioned.

thalivest
03-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Henman was a very fine grass courter, quite good indoor and carpet player, and adequate hard court player in his day. However he is far from the best player to not win a major. The only slam he could realistically contend at all was Wimbledon (yeah I know he had that French Open semi but that was a huge fluke). At Wimbledon, the only slam he had any hope of ever winning, there were always multiple superior players on the surface. Sampras, Krajicek, and Ivanisevic in the late 90s. Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, Hewitt in the early 2000s. Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, and Ancic towards the middle 2000s. There were others like Philippoussis who were less consistent but whose A-game was too powerful for him on the surface. So it would have always taken quite a bit of luck for him to have won even there.

I remember after his lopsided loss to Hewitt in the 2002 Wimbledon semis Mary Carillo pointing out to McEnroe in the booth that Henman was like a B guy trying to go against an A guy like Hewitt, and he simply was not of the same class altogether as a player like Hewitt. If Henman were the best or even one of the best to not win a major, then a player like Hewitt would have to be one of the best with only 2 (and I have hardly ever heard that suggested). Even Davydenko is closer to being the best player to never win a major than Henman is.

Rhino
03-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Vince Spadea