PDA

View Full Version : P McEnroe a little OTT?

miyagi
03-05-2009, 06:29 AM
US captain Patrick McEnroe has said he is confident that a revitalized Andy Roddick will be ready to reverse a two-match Davis Cup loss streak in a World Group tie against Switzerland.

McEnroe credits a change of coach by his top singles player with helping Roddick to start lifting his already impressive game, Roddick having taken on US veteran Larry Stefanki.

"I thought that was a pretty gutsy move on his part to do that," McEnroe said.

Roddick lost his grip last autumn on a nine-match Davis win streak which began in 2007 as he dropped singles rubbers to Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer in a 4-1 semi-final rout by Spain in 2008 in Madrid, the Americans playing in a semi-final for the third year in a row.

"It has been interesting over the years to see Andy Roddick, whom I mentioned had his first tie as a teenager," McEnroe said. "He has really grown up and become a man.

"He's principled and I think we've seen that in his decision to not go to Dubai," he said of Roddick's no-show protest over visa disputes in the moderate Gulf emirate over the admission of Israeli players to WTA and ATP events.

McEnroe is certainly able to cast a discerning eye over his star pupil.

"I've been lucky enough to see him in every Davis Cup match he has played. I've seen him go out there when really everything was stacked against him. He goes out and gives it 110 percent," McEnroe said.

"To beat Nadal on clay in Spain is not going to be easy. He's willing to go out there and take one for the team, as you might say. I've been impressed for years with his commitment to playing for his country and being there for his teammates."

McEnroe's side will be in the driver's seat against a Switzerland minus Roger Federer as the world number two remains at his base in Dubai working out the final kinks in a lingering back problem.

Federer withdrew from the Davis Cup to try and prepare for the run of back-to-back ATP events in the US starting next week in Indian Wells, California, and continuing in Miami.

The nations stand 1-1 in their rivalry, the Americans winning the 1992 final in Fort Worth, Texas and the Swiss earning revenge in the first round in 2001.

Swiss coach Severin Luethi will lead with number 16 Stan Wawrinka, backed up by a supporting cast of 342-ranked Marco Chiudinelli, number 143 Stephane Bohli and Yves Allegro.

But whatever the Swiss can manage to throw together, McEnroe will be concentrating on his own duties and hopeful Bob and Mike Bryan can capture the doubles match.

"I don't have too much to worry about in the way they've been playing. Andy is obviously off to a great start, 17-3 on the year. He's got a great chance to finish this year in the Top five," McEnroe said.

"The Bryans kicked off by winning the Australian they were pretty tee'd off to not to finish last year number one. They're motivated and have been working extra hard in the gym. We feel pretty good about where we are right now."

The draw will be made on Thursday with singles play beginning Friday.

miyagi
03-05-2009, 06:32 AM
I just dont like him much as a commentator....whilst this article isn't too bad (quite accurate for him) I just think the way he praises Roddick so much anyone would think he is a multiple slam winner...Nothing against Roddick, I think he's quite cool and witty but I think some of the praise he recieves from Mac is a bit much....

It's odd to me he just seems to have favourites and is blinded by his affection for them that he says outlandish things sometimes....

jaggy
03-05-2009, 06:35 AM
A lifetime of defending his jerk brother probably was good preparation.

ESP#1
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
He's the guys captain, former coach and hes also the guy trying to build tennis interest in the U.S(USTA development program or something) wouldn't say he was OTT just trying to hype his strongest guy for morale reasons. I mean what do you expect him to say? Personally i think him and Cahill are the best commentators out there, they are cerebral where others are just silly

tangerine
03-05-2009, 07:39 AM
I just dont like him much as a commentator....whilst this article isn't too bad (quite accurate for him) I just think the way he praises Roddick so much anyone would think he is a multiple slam winner...Nothing against Roddick, I think he's quite cool and witty but I think some of the praise he recieves from Mac is a bit much....

It's odd to me he just seems to have favourites and is blinded by his affection for them that he says outlandish things sometimes....
It's funny how PMac's positive comments about Roddick always make people crazy with jealousy and hate. It's like "OMG, he's only won one slam he doesn't deserve to be praised at all so shut up PMac you're so biased!" as if a person's life and character are measured only in terms of slams. :lol:

Patrick knows Roddick best, so maybe, just maybe, Roddick really isn't the mega jerk some of you think he is? ;)

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 07:41 AM
As the team captain and a former coach, it would be shocking if he didn't lay the praise thick!

tintin
03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Roddick no matter how well he plays will NEVER EVER beat Nadal on red clay unless both of Nadal's knees give up on him and still his pride would kick in before he were to lose to Roddick on clay:lol:

GPB
03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Roddick no matter how well he plays will NEVER EVER beat Nadal on red clay unless both of Nadal's knees give up on him and still his pride would kick in before he were to lose to Roddick on clay:lol:

Which is why Roddick should get all the more props for trying. He knew he didn't stand a chance, but you wouldn't know that from watching him try. That's what P Mac was saying.

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I agree, he did try to make a match of it. Kudos to him for that.

SchreckTennis
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
It's funny how PMac's positive comments about Roddick always make people crazy with jealousy and hate. It's like "OMG, he's only won one slam he doesn't deserve to be praised at all so shut up PMac you're so biased!" as if a person's life and character are measured only in terms of slams. :lol:

Patrick knows Roddick best, so maybe, just maybe, Roddick really isn't the mega jerk some of you think he is? ;)

Agreed. But it seems to me that most of the "jealousy and hate" is actually just hatred for America and everything American since the US has such a bad stigma around the world.

From what I've seen in videos and etc. (mostly on youtube), Roddick seems a pretty down to earth guy with HUMAN emotions and mentality- but can be a little cruel at times like when he attacked Djoker about his injuries, but that's the only instance I can recall of the top of my head.

Jonny S&V
03-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Agreed. But it seems to me that most of the "jealousy and hate" is actually just hatred for America and everything American since the US has such a bad stigma around the world.

From what I've seen in videos and etc. (mostly on youtube), Roddick seems a pretty down to earth guy with HUMAN emotions and mentality- but can be a little cruel at times like when he attacked Djoker about his injuries, but that's the only instance I can recall of the top of my head.

But he had ample reason to, IMO...

devila
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Roddick's always hated his own self-worth and uncuriosity.
He compensates for that by playing with injuries and allowing McEnroe to cheat in DC. He avoids improvements in Slams by doing everything to promote Davis Cup and phony people
associated with it. He overestimates every player from America and
overhypes Agassi, Sampras and Courier like a propagandist usually does.
He's convinced by Agassi, that his charity star image is easier to handle than his tennis greatness image.
When no one sees Pat's true character on another TV channel, you'll
know the REAL TRUTH. He doesn't like Roddick to succeed in anything.
It's jealousy. The good looks and #1 ranking...none are traits of both
McEnroe brothers.
McEnroe's desperately stating the obvious "Roddick became an adult" crap
because he's saving his jobs. Lol When he hid in a radio show, and arrogantly boasted that Federer made Roddick a loser in 1 Slam and nothing was the Roddicks' fault, I laughed.

Tennis Dunce
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM

Nadal would pull a Borg and just up and quit tennis if he lost to Roddick on clay.

veroniquem
03-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Nadal would pull a Borg and just up and quit tennis if he lost to Roddick on clay.
That shows how little you know Rafa. Nadal won't quit no matter who beats him. Did he quit after getting blown off the court by Tsonga in AO 2008? Did he quit after being run over in finals by Youzhny, Davydenko and Nalbandian? No, he became #1 and continued winning slams. Were Roddick to beat him in every single clay tournament this season, Nadal would not quit (and he would not whine about getting killed either :)). He would clench his fists and KEEP AT IT!
That was my 101 course about Nadal's mentality, so you'll have more insight next time...

Gugafan_Redux
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Roddick's always hated his own self-worth and uncuriosity.
He compensates for that by playing with injuries and allowing McEnroe to cheat in DC. He avoids improvements in Slams by doing everything to promote Davis Cup and phony people
associated with it. He overestimates every player from America and
overhypes Agassi, Sampras and Courier like a propagandist usually does.
He's convinced by Agassi, that his charity star image is easier to handle than his tennis greatness image.
When no one sees Pat's true character on another TV channel, you'll
know the REAL TRUTH. He doesn't like Roddick to succeed in anything.
It's jealousy. The good looks and #1 ranking...none are traits of both
McEnroe brothers.
McEnroe's desperately stating the obvious "Roddick became an adult" crap
because he's saving his jobs. Lol When he hid in a radio show, and arrogantly boasted that Federer made Roddick a loser in 1 Slam and nothing was the Roddicks' fault, I laughed.

Nothing you say here makes any sense.

Cockiness has been the number one, hands-down most common and pervasive and damning accusation against Roddick personally and in his on-court demeanor. Cockiness, logic would tell you, comes from a high feeling of self-worth--perhaps too high. You say Roddick has always hated his self-worth. So he hates that he has a high opinion of himself? In my experience, and I've read a lot of his post-match interviews, he does not take himself seriously off-court, and often jokes about his reputation, the whole history of being labelled cocky and arrogant etc., which to me indicates a good, healthy understanding and balance to his on-court attitude.

I can't even begin to fathom how compensating for this (if it were true) would lead to playing with injuries (which I can't recall Roddick ever doing).

let's just imagine the breakdown of the rest of your rapid-fire, incongruous, unsupported statements, shall we? Because, as I said, none of them make the slightest bit of sense.

devila
03-05-2009, 01:44 PM
If you think Roddick has healthy self-respect, you got to be kidding.
McEnroe gave the Federer "was recovering from sluggish illness...was allowing Roddick a win" excuse when Roddick won again. Here are more media-pleasing things Roddick obsessed about:

Davis Cup remains major priority for Roddick

By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter
Published: January 09, 2009, 23:48

DOHA: American Andy Roddick's faith in the Davis Cup remains unmoved, unshaken and undaunted.

"There is no way I would stop playing in the Davis Cup for my country. I like the atmosphere and the responsibility. And surely a bulk of my memories, including the losses, are hinged around the Davis Cup," Roddick told media after breezing past Romanian Victor Hanescu to enter the semifinals of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open here late on Thursday.

"I can go on and on about the virtues of playing in the Davis Cup. But for me it is pretty forthright that I have been passionate and enjoyed the company of my teammates and captain, while also playing for my country," the American added.

In a world of tennis where players, mostly the top stars, keep complaining of packed schedules, Roddick stands out as a valiant soldier in his country's exploits at the Davis Cup for the past few years.

He has the rare distinction of possibly being the only top-ranked player who has put self and country on even par through much of his tennis career. "And there is no way I would stop doing it," he insisted.

The US is scheduled to host Roger Federer-led Switzerland in their first round of the World Group in San Antonio, Alabama from March 6-8.

The initial plan was to have the fixture in Roddick's home town of Texas. But the bid to host the Switzerland-US encounter was won by the 17,000-seater Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena in Alabama.

To Roddick, it would have been more significant as he had made his Davis Cup debut against Switzerland in Switzerland in February 2001. "I am a little disappointed that we could not have the encounter in Texas," Roddick admitted.

"It would have been great to have Federer closer home as it would have been a great promotion for tennis in the area. And ultimately, it was only going to help the Davis Cup," Roddick stated.
http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10273903.html (http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10273903.html)

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10273956.html
"It definitely feels good to make a final in the very first tournament of the year. I certainly do not have anything to lose against either of the two possible finalists Federer or Murray. The idea is to just go out there and have fun tomorrow," Roddick stated.

devila
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: 2009 Davis Cup Thread
DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND: SWITZERLAND v USA

March 5, 2009

James Blake
Mike Bryan
Patrick McEnroe
Andy Roddick

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

TIM CURRY: We'll open up the floor for questions.

Q. Patrick, do you see an advantage to the playing schedule that you have with the with James going first?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Yes, I see an advantage (laughter). That's the way we like to look at it.
No, we never really get too hung up about things we can't control. The schedule's obviously one of them. Both guys will be ready to play. Hopefully they'll play the way they've been practicing all week. We feel good about our chances.
We never really read too much into the schedule. The guys are used to playing at a particular time or sitting around and waiting a couple hours for the match to end. It's not something we really worry too much about.

Q. Andy, you're playing Marco on the first day. Can you tell me a little bit about him, what do you think about him? How are you going to prepare against him?
ANDY RODDICK: I actually told the guys I thought he might play earlier this week. I know he's played well in Davis Cup before. I know he had a win over Ferrer a couple of years ago.
I think he likes playing on faster surfaces a little bit more. I think that's what we have here. If I had to guess, I'd guess he's going to come out and play pretty high-risk tennis. That will make it important to kind of weather the storm when he is playing well and try to hold on to my serve and put pressure on his service games.

Q. James, how difficult must it have been for you last year with the team in Madrid and then also how good it must feel to be back?
JAMES BLAKE: It's a great feeling being back. Last year it seemed like everything caught up to me in terms of the fatigue. I'd been playing through the Davis Cup final with these guys. I think I've learned my lesson in scheduling a little too much. Last year it was very apparent at the Open. I just couldn't -- I didn't think I was the best person for the job, to go to Madrid. I don't know if I would have helped the team the way I was playing at the Open.
It's tough to say that. It was tough to make that decision. But I think it was the right one for this year and the rest of my career, hopefully to help these guys out as much as I can when I am on the team, be a hundred percent and ready to go.
I hope it was the right decision for the team. Unfortunately we lost. But I don't think I would have -- I don't know if I would have changed that outcome. I just think I -- I try to make the decision that's best for the team, the best for my career, as well. I thought that was the right one at the time.

Q. Andy and James, how much of a factor is the crowd, the home crowd? How much do you feed off of that?
JAMES BLAKE: Andy is not very emotional out on the court. He'll let me answer this one (laughter).:-|
I think having a home crowd is huge. It makes every point seem like it's yours to win. You just really feed off their energy. If you're down, they're there to pick you up. If you're up, it's so much easier to get on a roll because you feel you're exciting the crowd every single point you win.
Hopefully they'll be very vocal this tie. We've had a lot of support in the past. I know this is a huge crowd. I heard it's a sellout. I expect nothing less than some pretty vocal fans.
ANDY RODDICK: I think in Davis Cup more so than any other event, I know -- I can speak from experience. I know early on in my career it was hard for me to play away ties. I feel that's something you kind of do have to develop. I think I've learned how to play in those ties pretty well.
But it definitely is a different dynamic going into someone else's home and competing with them and the fans.

Q. Bob and Mike, it looks like the Swiss have stacked their doubles team. Is that pretty much what you expected, have been preparing for?
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah, I mean, I think that's probably their best team they got. Wawrinka obviously beat us at the Olympics. He's a gold (http://www.****************.com/showthread.php?t=131799&page=13#) medalist. He's a very good doubles player. He does everything pretty well.
Yeah, that's the best team they're going to throw at us. Allegro has been around for a long time. We've had numerous close matches with him. Yeah, I mean, as I said before, in the other press conference, he's a very accomplished doubles player.
He plays with Federer the last few years. Luckily, Federer is not here. We're probably sleeping a little better that he's not here. But we're really looking forward to playing those guys. Yeah, it should be tough.
TIM CURRY: The Bryan brothers are 14-2 for the U.S. Davis Cup team. The 14 wins is tied for the all-time record with John McEnroe and Peter Fleming. The next win will make them the winningest doubles team in Davis Cup history.:-|

Q. Andy and James, Mike just mentioned that he will probably sleep better because Roger isn't here. Is that the same for you or are you disappointed that you can't play against him?
ANDY RODDICK: At this point it's irrelevant. We're going to play tomorrow and he's not on the team. I think this tie is now about the players that are here. I think that's what I'm focused on. I'm pretty sure that's what the rest of our team is focused on, as well.
JAMES BLAKE: Yeah, Patrick said it well, we don't worry about things we can't control.
Either way I go to sleep preparing as well as I can. I slept pretty well this week. I'll hopefully continue to do so.

Q. Patrick, a decision in Sweden not to allow any fans. Can you comment on your reaction to that? As a player, I'm assuming that would be kind of a tough environment to play in.
CAPTAIN McENROE: You know, it's hard to know exactly what's going on over there. We're not there. But just as someone that's involved in tennis, I find it disappointing, to be honest, that something like that is taking place. You certainly don't ever want to see that happening.
But it's hard for me to comment further on it without really understanding the details of what's going on over there. But it's certainly not good for that to happen, for the Swedish Federation to feel that's what they have to do to be able to play the match.
I'm sure for the players who are there, it will be difficult. The best part of Davis Cup is crowd participation in a lot of ways, is the people getting involved. :roll:It's different than any other tennis match that you go to all year. I think we'll see that here in Birmingham. I think we're going to have a great turnout. The community has really welcomed us. We appreciate that. I think the guys are pretty eager to show their appreciation to the fans that are going to come out this weekend. So that's what we're excited about.

Q. Andy and James, how much more exciting is a team format versus individual?
JAMES BLAKE: I think a team environment is something that's really exciting to all of us 'cause we play a very individual sport. So most of the time we're on the road. You're celebrating victories with your coach, maybe your family. But to do something together that you all care about is something that we've all really felt strongly about our entire careers, helped by Patrick kind of leading our team spirit. To wear the USA on our back, be proud members of this team is something we all cherish.
I'll speak for myself. Winning in 2007 is the best thing happened in my career, not just because of the emotions of the day, but the emotions of the entire journey with these guys. We felt we did it together. That's something you don't always feel on the tennis court. You're alone a lot of the times. That was the reason I got into the sport, was to be out there alone.
I've cherished the team atmosphere. I really can't say enough about how much I enjoy the time with these guys, the feeling of support you get, whether you win or lose. The highs and lows can be so much greater when you're in a team. But to have a team that picks you up from those lows and really accentuates the highs is something that is special to me.
ANDY RODDICK: Yes (laughter).

YEAH, Pat and Roddick didn't MIND after the umpire ignored a ball call in 2007 in the DC Final. Blake needed all the help he could get in 5 set ties.

devila
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Look at Roddick trying to get appreciation, just
because he wants to play journeymen, and feel proud and honor. Grand Slams and clay are supposed to hurt him. He didn't act proud; he whined a lot in Spain, he looked like an elephant before losing weight this year.:oops:
McEnroe and Blake are all embarrassed by the Fed-less tie.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/bbryant.ssf?/base/sports/1236248135126190.xml&coll=1

Roddick serves as Davis Cup's loyal warrior
March 05, 2009

He's had the misfortune of following the greatest generation in tennis, and he's done so during the prime of perhaps the sport's greatest player. He has occasionally chafed under the strain of weighty expectations, which may be why he's had almost as many coaches as there are days in the week.

He's got one Grand Slam win to his credit and a history of shoulda-woulda-couldas.

He's been No. 1 in the world, though his stay on top lasted about as long as the sitcom "Cavemen."

But the indisputable, career-defining, you-can't-take-it-away-from-him positive about the Face of American tennis is this: When it comes to representing (as in country) Andy Roddick's loyalty is above reproach.

"Andy has been an unbelievable part of our team," U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe said. "He's been there every time, in good times and in bad times."

Roddick and the rest of the American team - James Blake, and brothers Bob and Mike Bryan - are in Birmingham this week for the best-of-five, first-round showdown against Switzerland. It's a matchup that lost a lot of luster with the recent withdrawal of Roger Federer, the aforementioned greatest player, who has denied Roddick Grand Slam titles in three other finals (two at Wimbledon, one at the U.S. Open).

With that major hurdle removed, no one could have blamed Roddick for finding a reason not to show, given the grueling schedule world-class players have to follow. But that's not Roddick, who, if nothing else, has always exhibited an old-fashioned baseball-and-apple-pie American approach in such matters.

Since playing in his first Davis Cup match in 2001 - against Switzerland, ironically, and in McEnroe's first run as captain - Roddick has missed only one U.S. match. That came in 2003, when tendinitis in his right wrist put him on the shelf.

In between, he's won 29 of 40 matches (seventh-best in U.S. history) and is 10-0 in matches when he's had the chance to clinch the tie.

"I take a lot of pride in the work we've done as a team," Roddick a couple of weeks ago in Memphis, where he won the pro event for the second time. "It's an honor (for me to play), not only for the country but being able to play with these guys. I'll have some of my best memories (from Davis Cup)."

As McEnroe said, in both good times and in bad. The good coming from the U.S. victory in 2007, the country's first since 1995. The bad coming from losing road matches in Spain and Russia on clay - the surface that negates his overwhelming serve and frustrates his aggressive baseline game.

It's easy to say yes to team and country when the Davis Cup is played on a fast, indoor carpet. It's not so easy to square off on the dirt against Spain's Rafael Nadal, who has supplanted Federer as world No. 1 and has quickly established himself as arguably the best clay-court player of all time.

"We've been in some very tough situations going to play overseas against great teams ... where quite honestly, going in you're a big underdog," McEnroe said. "I've seen (Roddick) go out there when really everything was stacked against him, and he goes out there and gives it 110 percent.

"To beat Nadal on clay in Spain is not going to be easy. He's sort of willing to go out there and take one for the team, as you might say."

It's not a stretch to say that Roddick has collectively taken one for his career. Outside of McEnroe's brother John, there hasn't been an American so dedicated to Davis Cup play. Even the fantastic four of American tennis in the 1990s - Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang - each had periods when they weren't available.

Three of those four reached No. 1 in the world, and maintaining that level requires some degree of selfishness, if for no other reason than to give your body rest. Federer has been an infrequent participant since he got on his roll five years ago.

"I'm not going to lie - there are huge sacrifices," Roddick said. "I enjoy making them, as long as it's appreciated. It is a choice we've all made together as a team, and it's certainly been worthwhile."

Without Sampras or Agassi to help shoulder the U.S. load, Roddick has been front and center in the spotlight for a while now. (As good as Blake is, he's never gone past the quarterfinal of a Grand Slam). Roddick has taken the majority of verbal hits along the way from an American sporting public that expects the most out of its top athletes.

"The good far outweighs the bad," Roddick said. "The amount of opportunities I've gotten to play Davis Cup, to meet people, and have an affect on people - I wouldn't trade it.

"The only thing that's tough is you're following probably the greatest generation ever from one country in the history of our sport. That's something I knew going in. I think I've learned to report to myself as far as my tennis and not worry about outside things to maintain a sense of perspective at the end of the day."

The outlook this week, of course, is on maintaining national pride, and beginning the long journey toward winning back the Davis Cup.

A country could do worse when it comes to having a warrior for that road.

Cfidave
03-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Pmac and the rest of the American tennis comentators have been hyping Roddick for so long, it has become sad. They have wanted another Sampras or Agassi so deserately, they have tried to make Roddick into something he is clearly not. Roddick is a solid top 10 player, but will never be worthy of the praise of guys like Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal, Connors, John McEnroe, etc. Roddick does not have their credentials or their talent, but thanks to Pmac, he does have their hype.

devila
03-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Actually, McEnroe only cared about making his brother John and Federer
look like the center of the universe. He only bullcrapped about Roddick and BRAINWASHED Roddick into making him a Davis Cup slave.
Even Roddick mentioned the McEnroe brothers' arrogance at the 2006 US
Open quarterfinal interview. (Roddick had gotten severe food poisoning during the Davis Cup match against Andrei Pavel. Both McEnroe brothers
denied that Roddick was sick even though he vomited after eating steak and drinking too much before playing. They didn't want to admit that Roddick lost because of fitness problems and negligence. He dumped match point and collapsed.)

Tennis Dunce
03-06-2009, 02:58 PM
That shows how little you know Rafa. Nadal won't quit no matter who beats him. Did he quit after getting blown off the court by Tsonga in AO 2008? Did he quit after being run over in finals by Youzhny, Davydenko and Nalbandian? No, he became #1 and continued winning slams. Were Roddick to beat him in every single clay tournament this season, Nadal would not quit (and he would not whine about getting killed either :)). He would clench his fists and KEEP AT IT!
That was my 101 course about Nadal's mentality, so you'll have more insight next time...

Ummm...fanboy...I was joking!:roll: