PDA

View Full Version : Rossignol DT 6.40

Bud
03-05-2009, 04:22 PM
I have one of these frames and can't find much info on it. Anyone have one, heard of it or played with it?

Here are the measured specs:

Rossignol DT 6.40
Silver/grey color with purple writing
Graphite/fiberglass composite
Variable beam
12.8 oz. (strung)
9 pts. HL (strung)

** note on the throat states:

"Moment of inertia electronically controlled by Rossignol according to French AFNOR standard."

What does the throat note signify? :)

plasma
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
read them the full quote,...it's painful, its really badly translated scienece Jargon..

Virginia
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Yes, I suppose it's pretty hard to translate anything that's written in scienece and especially if it's jargon! Maybe they should try Esperanto next time! ;)

plasma
03-06-2009, 01:50 AM
"Aerodynamic Racket with variable shape for powerful Attacking Play , Graphite, Fiberglass. Moment of intertia..." usually its about vibration dampening, I suppose dampeners weren't always around so vibration, shock and PING were a big issue...it almost always mentions power and agression...the bulshit sceince written on racquets is sublime. I believed it back then. My prince Vortex SB came with a video telling you how great it was. The material was out of a comic book. The promises were astronomical. We believed because at the time we were innocent. Next I (my Mom) bought a mono and then an rd ti 70 from tw, tw is awesome, except for those low res photos spence takes with his d 40 and posts on the cover of the website, man, does that guy need a photography class or what?, I remember this girl named..oh, think it's time for bed...sorry...

Virginia
03-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Yes, definitely time for bed, plasma. I'm going to bed myself and here in NZ I'm seventeen hours ahead of you - it must be the wee small hours for you. In fact, I sometimes wonder if you ever sleep!

P.S. It's almost 11.15 pm here - just to give you an idea of my time zone.

Bolt
03-06-2009, 11:52 AM
This was my favorite frame throughout high school. I bought them because I liked Guy Forget at the time but didn't know much about racquets. The Dt 6.40 gets panned by the die-hard Rossi fans on these boards but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

As to the specs, I believe it has a flex of 59 and strung swingweight in the low 330s. The frame is shorter than the 27" standard at 26-7/8".

Where/when did you acquire it? How are the grommets?

retrowagen
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I was given this model to try out as Rossignol retreated from North America in 1989. The brand new frame's bumper split apart as it was having its first stringing, so my stringer peeled off the remainder of the bumper...

It played well enough, I thought. I actually liked it. It had a "modern" feel at the time (amongst the new "widebodies"), and playing a Rossi with some stiffness in it was a bit odd at first (having played the F200C a little, prior to that), but nice. A good frame for the power all-courter or baseliner. Sort of a Head PC600-like, all-rounder. Required some precision; headsize was something like 90 sq-in (or slightly smaller); it wasn't much larger than the F200.

Nice frame, I thought. Pity the plastics used on the grommets and bumpers were junk.

Bud
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I was given this model to try out as Rossignol retreated from North America in 1989. The brand new frame's bumper split apart as it was having its first stringing, so my stringer peeled off the remainder of the bumper...

It played well enough, I thought. I actually liked it. It had a "modern" feel at the time (amongst the new "widebodies"), and playing a Rossi with some stiffness in it was a bit odd at first (having played the F200C a little, prior to that), but nice. A good frame for the power all-courter or baseliner. Sort of a Head PC600-like, all-rounder. Required some precision; headsize was something like 90 sq-in (or slightly smaller); it wasn't much larger than the F200.

Nice frame, I thought. Pity the plastics used on the grommets and bumpers were junk.

Yes, I think they must have purchased their grommets/head guards from the same manufacturer as Head. They are the white, brittle junky grommets. Beside the HG, the rest of the racquet is in nice shape.

Bud
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
"Aerodynamic Racket with variable shape for powerful Attacking Play , Graphite, Fiberglass. Moment of intertia..." usually its about vibration dampening, I suppose dampeners weren't always around so vibration, shock and PING were a big issue...it almost always mentions power and agression...the bulshit sceince written on racquets is sublime. I believed it back then. My prince Vortex SB came with a video telling you how great it was. The material was out of a comic book. The promises were astronomical. We believed because at the time we were innocent. Next I (my Mom) bought a mono and then an rd ti 70 from tw, tw is awesome, except for those low res photos spence takes with his d 40 and posts on the cover of the website, man, does that guy need a photography class or what?, I remember this girl named..oh, think it's time for bed...sorry...

I have one of these frames and can't find much info on it. Anyone have one, heard of it or played with it?

Here are the measured specs:

Rossignol DT 6.40
Silver/grey color with purple writing
Graphite/fiberglass composite
Variable beam
12.8 oz. (strung)
9 pts. HL (strung)

** note on the throat states:

"Moment of inertia electronically controlled by Rossignol according to French AFNOR standard."

What does the throat note signify? :)

So, I can't plug this thing in somewhere to recharge the MOI? :twisted:

plasma
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/14m9h6f.jpg
what does ANFOR stand for? what are its standards? how does it remotely control inertia? Sounds like Rossignols understanding of things has left quantum physics in the dust...
but wait...isn't ANFOR...
American National Flatulence Organizing Republic
meaning the D.T.6.40 has 4.6 meg quiefs of silent dampened french fortitude...With symphonic power like that you could silently take out several co-workers on the way to the water cooler and blame it on the new guy. D.t.6.40,F150, F250...are these names for missles or sports equipment? The magical realism has me sold, I have become more popular just by owning my d.t.6.40, the description of the racquets performance has been like a mystical self help/meditation manual that I read in the morning!!! thanks Rossignol!

retrowagen
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/14m9h6f.jpg
what does ANFOR stand for?

AFNOR is "Association franšaise de Normalisation," the French institute for standards as the ANSI is in the USA and the DIN is in Germany.

MegacedU
03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I had no idea Rossignol even made tennis racquets. What's with ski companies taking on tennis? Head, Volkl, etc.

VGP
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Makes sense to me....lightweight, resilient materials, research and development going toward sports engineering in events that use them. These days at least.

vsbabolat
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I had no idea Rossignol even made tennis racquets. What's with ski companies taking on tennis? Head, Volkl, etc.

The most famous player ever to use Rossignol racquets was Mats Wilander. He famously used the Rossignol F200. During the 70's tennis boom and the transition from wood to graphite few ski companies jumped into the the tennis business. The ski companies had some expertize working with the composites in skis that they put into their tennis racquets. HEAD was the first in 1969. You also had Voelkl, Rossignol, Kneissl, and Fischer. They all made really top quality racquets that were great playing.

plasma
03-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Abel Rossignol and Howard head, both avid recreational skiers, both mad genius inventors, the reason why we are all here...Thomas Wilson, avid tennis player and owner of a meat packing plant in Skokie, Illinois, also deserves a museum to honor his greatness, his inventive genius, the ability to think outside the box, to be humble, flexible, persistent, original...

galain
03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
As much as I will go to war to defend Rossignol honour, their grommets really did leave a little to be desired. A shame really - such beautiful frames but the grommets would never last.

The DT series I never really cared for. A widebodied Rossi just didn't seem to be right to me.

plasma
03-09-2009, 01:50 AM
I know that big bux and real research go into the scientific process of racquet production, even tweener racquets with the latest gimmicks are deeply researched. The problem is that every time they go to the marketing department there is the same failed semi-literate alcoholic writer penning the descriptions for these things. The same guy writes for the Discovery Channel.
Go to PBS to watch a documentary on lions; and the script tells you about the weight and habits of a Lion. A similar Discovery Channel Documentary on Lions sounds Like this: "The Lion, ferocious, feared, King of the Jungle...an awesome display of feline prowess, his very paws can rip off your falfells off in mere seconds, thats why they call him "the king of the Beasts" (insert Lion roar) blah blah blah..."
when I start reading about awesome power I know that the same guy/gal is doing the writing:
http://i44.tinypic.com/33bz94w.jpg
the one serious exception is head in the 80's. Their frames had absolutely no bull*****. The process was mentioned, the flex in relation to other racquets from the same line, the headsize, and where it was manufactured. That's a commendable display of real intelligence, seriousness, and "awesome ferocious power":
http://i41.tinypic.com/2uq13c1.jpg

tailofdog
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
As much as I will go to war to defend Rossignol honour, their grommets really did leave a little to be desired. A shame really - such beautiful frames but the grommets would never last.

The DT series I never really cared for. A widebodied Rossi just didn't seem to be right to me.

Yes the 6.60 i just received is a great racquet but ungreat GROMMETS

plasma
04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
haha, I remember Ski Mahket (in Fhakin Bhastan Jhaweey, Fhack-in), used to have incredible deadstock rossignol 20 years ago for pennies...sans grommets. I asked the guy there wtf would I do with a racquet without grommets(???) (not being farmiliar with franken-grommeting at the time), he simply said something along the lines of "It would be valuable in the future to own such a historic and beautiful piece of equipment"...

back then I had no idea what he was talking about.....jhawaey, I shudda ghatten doze fhah'ckin razzis Jhawey, the FHackin Razzis! (to truly understand south Boston dialect and culture one must dress the part, jeans rolled up, cynched, and rolled again, contiunous spitting and crotch grabbing, and generous use of the versatile adjective : "FHack-in"(followed by a mandatory spit)