PDA

View Full Version : Can a prospective recruit play with college team members?

TennisTaxi
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
If a prospective recruit visits a college, is he allowed to play with members of the college tennis team?

JLyon
03-05-2009, 04:52 PM
if they can, there can not be a coach present as it would represent a try-out which is against NCAA regs.
I would need to check and see though if they can.

duso
03-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Ditto, no restriction so long as the head and assistant coach aren't present. A graduate assistant can be present.

TennisTaxi
03-05-2009, 05:48 PM
So if a prospective student goes goes on an unofficial visit to a school, he can later go hit with the team players if no coaches are present. Is there any time during the recruiting process that a player can play at the school with the coach present...or is a player usually recruited without a coach ever seeming him/her playing with the other members of the team?

I am especially curious about this since my son is a doubles player and would like to play in college....

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
A kid can play with a player- but the coach can't "see" him- Then the current team member walks into the coach's office and tells him exactly how things went. That makes about as much sense as all the other NCAA rules destroying men's tennis.

I think a potential player would want to have as much "informal" visiting time with current team players; They can tell the coach if a the player "fits" with the team-If he "ok", or a real tool.

The threads on the subject note that most college coaches DON'T run around the world looking at players- They just don't have that kind of money; Send a CD for crying out loud.
I would think a pretty clever way of being seen at a particular school would be the tennis camps they run, or ones near by.

TennisTaxi
03-06-2009, 01:04 PM
A kid can play with a player- but the coach can't "see" him- Then the current team member walks into the coach's office and tells him exactly how things went. That makes about as much sense as all the other NCAA rules destroying men's tennis.

I think a potential player would want to have as much "informal" visiting time with current team players; They can tell the coach if a the player "fits" with the team-If he "ok", or a real tool.

The threads on the subject note that most college coaches DON'T run around the world looking at players- They just don't have that kind of money; Send a CD for crying out loud.
I would think a pretty clever way of being seen at a particular school would be the tennis camps they run, or ones near by.

Actually the newest technology is on-line access to college videos, various sites offer this...my son already has this, coaches have watched and shown interest...but that is not his concern... You hit it on the head, how do you know if there will be a fit if you can't hang and play with a team, participate in a practice see how match day plays out, etc. He is starting to think about college visits which will hopefully coincide with matches or practice but this may not always work out...

Some of these NCAA rules are worthless:confused:

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Look up Coach Carter's posts- They are a good start in understanding that of all the majors, classes and degrees your student will be involved in-Tennis is not one of them.

As a minor sport, and with what is offered in the way of athletic scholarships, they better really enjoy tennis vs. a "regular" University experience;No real friends that are not on the team, hanging out going to games and some beer, grades for post graduate acceptance and study... And I hope he has 2-3 languages under his belt to understand the foreign team mates and compassion for the "one dimensional" players on the team who never have been exposed to anything but tennis their whole lives.

Coach Carter has posted a number of Newspaper articles on the sacrifices made by "minor" sports players- and it is eye opening.

When you start to weigh sacrifices compared to the amount of money offered- Your student maybe better off doing Work-Study in a Department/Major he enjoys and wants to excel in- For the same amount of scholarship money. Now, thats something to think about.