PDA

View Full Version : Just admit it to yourselves...

oiler90
03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
The pros are using the same racquets we do with very little exception to that rule !!! I'm getting so tired of all this banter about Federer this and Federer that. He uses the exact same frame that you can pull off a shelf in a pro shop. Some of you guys act like there is this secret society that supplies these guys with special, magical racquets that allows them to hit the shots we see them hit. Try this one on for size..........hard work. Thats how they do it.

Fee
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Yes, Federer is using the exact same racquet that you and I can go into any (well stocked) pro shop and buy, but I cannot get my Wilson racquet spray painted to look like an nCode. Nor can I get my 4 year old Yonex painted to look like the most recent model.

Phil
03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I never made a racquet purchase based on what a pro uses, so what is printed on their racquets doesn't make a bit of differenct to me. However, a number of posters who seem to be very knowledgable about these things, and who have STRUNG pros' racquets (giving them an up close and personal look at such racquets) have said that some pros use paint jobs. Why is that so hard to accept? I don't KNOW if it's true, but I really can't believe-knowing how difficult it is to switch from a very comfortable stick-that Safin, Guga or Philippousis (three players who have been pegged many times as paint jobbers), suddenly switched their beloved sticks for whatever latest "technology" marketing hack-job-of-a-stick their racquet sponsors are pushing onto the public.

jura
03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
The pros are using the same racquets we do with very little exception to that rule !!! I'm getting so tired of all this banter about Federer this and Federer that. He uses the exact same frame that you can pull off a shelf in a pro shop. Some of you guys act like there is this secret society that supplies these guys with special, magical racquets that allows them to hit the shots we see them hit. Try this one on for size..........hard work. Thats how they do it.
Sorry, but that's nonsense! Of the actual Top 50 ATP Enrty List there are about 20 playing paintjobs - that's a fact! But there is no secret society and these are no magical racquets. Most of them are just old models painted to look like the new ones or they are racquets from a different brand to look like the sponsor brand. That's it - not more and not less.
And if there are some guys here who have fun while talking about who is playing which racquet - just let us do this. You don't have to join, even to read.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English. ;)

fantom
03-04-2005, 04:54 AM
oiler90, you may not have known this, but Tennis Warehouse actually sold some Wilson paint job racquets a few months back. Explain that...

Cypo
03-04-2005, 05:28 AM
There is no way I believe that pro's are playing with off the shelf racquets - painted or no. Heck - even I use lead tape @!

oiler90
03-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Of course they CUSTOMIZE their racquets, most of us do in some way or another. Over grips, lead tape here, lead tape there, different string combos and tensions, whatever. And who cares if they are having their racquets painted to fit the latest color scheme for that company ?? Thats just smart marketing. My point is this.....too many recreational players in this sport are trying to get a hold of racquets that don't exist. All you have to do is get your own lead tape, an overwrap of your choosing, and a couple cans of spray paint and GO AT IT. Walla, you've got your own personal Roger Federer model. I can't figure out if these people are in search of the phantom racquets just for curiousity sake to see what it feels like to swing one of the pros racquets or do they actually think it will magically turn that lame excuse of a backhand into a magical flame-throwing shot that finally, FINALLY, will help them beat the club champ.

TommyGun
03-04-2005, 06:26 AM
oiler,

there were articles on the ESPN website that actually had quotes from the company principals stating for a fact that there are many paint jobs.

Also, Wilson had an article in the RSi magazine about their "paintjob shop".

Its more then just paint too, like specially drilled frames, different grip pallets and a host of other non-available off-th-shelf features.

ty slothrop
03-04-2005, 07:41 AM
dammit tommy, the first rule of fight club - er, paintjob club - is that no one talks about it!!!

Bora
03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
From seeing it first hand, you don't even have to be in the top 50 for racquet companies to build special frames for you. I have a friend who has a collection of special make racquets, some with just plain black paint some with cosmetics of a model that doesn't make sense for weight, length and balance. All these racquets were made by racquet companies for the pros to try out and switch to if they like the feel and the contract.

drakulie
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Federer=PS 85

am8622
03-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Oiler90:

Are you debating whether players actually use PJs? Because we have the evidence: many of them admit to it and then there are the racquets, some of which have been sold by TW and some of which the people on this board actually own.

It seems to me like you have already conceded this point in your second posting. You seem to have more of a problem with the fact that people are so caught up in figuring out who is you using what equipment. To this I say: If you admire the player, and the way he or she plays whats wrong with wanting to know what the ACTUAL equipment (incl. the exact specs) the player uses? If people think they can replicate the real specs and all the sudden start hitting like Fed, Safin etc. then that is their own problem but it doesn't mean the discussions about PJs are stupid, a waste of time, etc. Learning about whats under the PJs may be the way some people learn about the customizations you say people should take a shot at doing.

Rabbit
03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I think it's less widespread than the folks on these boards think.

oiler90
03-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Ok, this observation I had has now officially gotten way out of hand guys !!! #1: I know there are "Paint Jobs" out there. I never, ever denied that. #2: There are plenty, plenty of players on tour who use the EXACT same racquets you and I pull off the pro shop shelves and hit the crummy shots we do.

What I have a problem with is:

#1: The apparent obsessiveness that so many have with this topic. Yes, I know, its an open board and I don't have to read it if I don't like it. I actually find a lot of it good reading.

#2: Too many authors on this board are no doubt looking for racquets that will work magic. Not gonna happen. Yes, I know, I can go to hades if I don't like the topic on this board; but its just an opinion I have since I advocate that there is no replacement for hard work to improve.

Ok, lets now move on, next topic please.........

pchoi04
03-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I read an article on ESPN and they admitted to paint jobs and revealed what Hewitt is using and stuff... And how sponsors pay them more money to paint there racquets and if they actually switch to it they get paid more...

ragnaROK
03-04-2005, 09:35 PM
And a trolling we will go...

christo
03-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Look at it this way, all the top guys start off using off the shelf frames as juniors, right? At some point they start beating up on all the other top guys, why would they change to another racquet? They get endorsements and just paint in the latest colors. It would be professional suicide to change all the time. Would a professional violinist change his Strad? Would Jimi change his Fender? Federer will be playing his ps 85 custom till the day he dies, Hewitt likewise his SRD Tour 90 etc. etc.

oiler90
03-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Players as good as these guys, as well as some of us who weren't quite good enough to stay out there, could play w/ a snow shoe and do just fine. Everybody out there's got about 10 or so racquets that are "suitable" for their game the way it is now. After you find out what those 10 racquets are, then its just a matter of getting use to the racquet in your hand. That can take anywhere from 5 - 25 sets of play. At that point, thats where the lead tape and tweaking comes in....

Brettolius
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
i have a friend who is sponsered by prince, and was talking about getting some c-10's painted up like the newest prince frames, (obviously not the o3), so yeah, paintjobs are pretty common.

TennisD
03-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Idiots like you make my head hurt. Really. Not even most of the juniors in the Top 100 use the same racquets you do, let alone the pros. Hell, I don't even use an off-shelf-stick. Mine is so heavily customed out, that most people can't play with it. So get off my internet, before I get angry...

wtennis206
03-12-2005, 03:06 PM
TennisD...
Is it your goal in life to **** as many people off as possible...or are you just a really opinionated SOB?

wtennis206
03-12-2005, 03:12 PM
TennisD...
Is it your goal in life to **** as many people off as possible...or are you just a really opinionated SOB? I know many Top 100 juniors personally, and almost none of them use anything but an off-shelf-stick. Why don't you try backing up your HE-MAN statements with facts?

snowpuppy
03-12-2005, 03:19 PM

Really?! They are not magical racquets? NOOOOOOOOOOOO, you just ruin it for me!!!! Now all I need is someone to tell me santa don't exist