PDA

View Full Version : any info on Donnay Graphite Plus 35?

heavy300
03-06-2009, 01:34 AM
just bought one for $20, haven't had the chance to hit some balls yet.
initial feeling is that, its finishing is quite coarse, light weighted (~335g strung), HL, very flexi. Probably its one of the cheaper model at time, targeted to woman or casual players.
any info of this frame such as approx year of production, head size, flexibility any tour player used it before, etc., is very welcomed.

Deuce
03-06-2009, 02:30 AM
I can't tell you anything about that particular model, but I can tell you that in the 1980s, Donnay designated racquets '15', '25', and '35' - meaning that was the percentage that those racquets were larger than standard size.

For example, the '25s' had a 25% larger head size than standard size - which amounted to about 85 sq. in.

Colpo
03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
The Plus 35 (prob. @ a 92 sq. in. head) was in fact Donnay's flagship around '82. Donnay was finally moving away from black-colored frames that were mostly made of wood, to the full-blown synthetic frames that were becoming the industry standard. The Plus series, that I know of, came in 25, 35, and 50 (50 was Euro only). The ads for the 35 featured Chip Hooper using the 35, though Hooper's prime had already occured with a POG OS (not that Donnay knew then). My guess is that the 35 offers the typical terrific, flexy feel of the early Euro-made comps. There's little market for them, but I bet it's a very nice frame particularly for groundies.

Around '84, Donnay followed up the Plus series with the silver-colored Pro series, also in 25, 35, and 50 heads, and Hooper played the Pro 35 too.

Arias was the only prominent Donnay pro then that I can recall and he was still stuck on a standard wood. he finally gravitated away by '86, when he started to play with the Pro Cynetic 1 mid, Donnay's flagship at that time with several models carrying the Pro Cynetic moniker.

Captain Haddock
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I had the Plus 35 as a kid. Grey frame with small touches of orange and blue, right? Kind of an elongated Yonex-ish head shape, but with a rounded hoop? I remember the Chip Hooper switch, which did not work very well for him. This was back when Tennis magazine had drawn illustrations of Bolletieri instructional tips, with Bolletieri players like Arias, Hooper, and Korita. The French Tennis mag. reprinted those. Hooper was pictured with the Donnay a few times.

I get this "Plus" series confused with the next generation of Donnay frames, which were mostly pearl white, with some black and red on the hoop (I guess it is the "Pro" series that Colpo described). The 3 models of that series had a completely flat bridge, and the 25 looked liked a straightened up Rossignol F-200. Donnay also made a 35 and a 50 in that series, and Hooper at some point also used the 50 which was closer in size to his old POG.

heavy300
03-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you all, guys.

I took a swing with it yesterday. It is quite easy to play with, I can bring quite a few low hovering coming balls over the net, maybe ball tend to stay a bit longer in the stringbed due to its high flexibility (or low string tension). I've now set up all my Dunlop Aerogel 300s, Head Graphite Edge & the new Donnay with similar weight and balance. Dunlop felt lightest to swing with while the Edge is the heaviest, but it "cut through" the air with most ease. Donnay is the most flexi among the 3.

Fabrice, yes the Plus 35 is in grey matte finish, greyish print of "Donnay" on the bridge, "Graphite Plus 35" above handel and some red and blue stripes on the hoop. The head is more boxed (a bit like Volkl frames).

NoNameZ
03-07-2009, 09:26 PM
hi, could you post pics? i think i have one of these. i'm not hitting with it much either...:(

NoNameZ
03-07-2009, 09:28 PM
oh nevermind, i just found mine...it says graphite composition above the handle, and graphite comp plus at 12.

heavy300
03-07-2009, 09:41 PM
mine says 100% graphite

pshulam
03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I have one:
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv86/pshulam/Donnay Graphite plus 35/IMG_0096.jpg

heavy300
03-12-2009, 02:28 AM
thanks, that's it, how does it play, pshulam?

pshulam
03-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I only played with it for about 10 minutes. It is definitely gentle to my arm. It takes a little bit more power to hit the ball over net.