PDA

View Full Version : Would you do the same?

wjt_tennis
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Ok. So I had finished my league match last night and was watching my fellow singles player who was just starting a deciding tiebreak on the next court. The points were tight and the score was even all the way through. The overall was 2-2, which these guys did not know at the time. My teammate gets a match point and the rally begins. His opponent hits a ball that is clearly out...I mean 5 inches or so out...and my teammate keeps on playing eventually losing the point. The guy that I had just played and I looked at each other during the point and he said..."man, that was WAY out". So they are about to start the next point and the guy calls it out on himself. He just said "man, I can't take that point. That ball was so far out. I don't deserve to win that point. Your match."

I was floored! At least at first. Then the more I thought about it I said to myself that I would have done the same. I like to think that is true.

Would you have done the same? or would you have taken it and thought to yourself that it is the other guy's fault for not calling it?

Just something to think about.

GPB
03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I've called stuff out on myself before, but I'm not sure if I'd do it on match point. Kudos to that guy. Hopefully we'd all do the same...

saram
03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I tell you what--it really depends. Local league matches--I'm sure I'd do the same. Not so sure about playing at the state level thinking about sectionals and all. Sorry, that sounds sad...but it's true.

rasajadad
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
To be honest, I have no way of knowing. I know I've called balls out against myself, but never match point.

dataseviltwin
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Good on 'im. God's honest truth, it'd depend on whether or not I thought the other guy had hooked me during the match (*and* been a blatant jerk about it...). If no, I'd call it on myself - we ain't playing for money... just pride and the occasional beer...

shissncg
03-06-2009, 11:52 AM
If I clearly see my ball out I will stop play. If my opponent asks my opinion on a call I tell them what I saw. I also play some a lot of out balls because I wasn't watching carefully enough to be sure. I would rather play the point then worry about a call, the better player will eventually win.

LuckyR
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
A ball 5 inches long at the opposite baseline is obviously out as you mention. But although predictable by the feel of the shot and flight path of the ball, it is essentially invisible from the opposite baseline. I would not overrule my opponent who called it in, regardless if it was a friendly social match, or matchpoint in a tournament final.

If it was 5 inches wide on a DTL shot, that is visible, and I would overrule my opponent at any point, including matchpoint.

blakesq
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow, thats a tough one. I don't think I would give up the match. I don't think it is my duty to watch the lines for my opponent. Plus, I am never ever 100% sure of any call that is close. There is always a chance I just saw it wrong.

Ok. So I had finished my league match last night and was watching my fellow singles player who was just starting a deciding tiebreak on the next court. The points were tight and the score was even all the way through. The overall was 2-2, which these guys did not know at the time. My teammate gets a match point and the rally begins. His opponent hits a ball that is clearly out...I mean 5 inches or so out...and my teammate keeps on playing eventually losing the point. The guy that I had just played and I looked at each other during the point and he said..."man, that was WAY out". So they are about to start the next point and the guy calls it out on himself. He just said "man, I can't take that point. That ball was so far out. I don't deserve to win that point. Your match."

I was floored! At least at first. Then the more I thought about it I said to myself that I would have done the same. I like to think that is true.

Would you have done the same? or would you have taken it and thought to yourself that it is the other guy's fault for not calling it?

Vik
03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
I probably wouldn't if it was an important league match.
Part of the game is calling your lines. If you suck at it, I'm not doing it for you.

A friendly match and I'd give up the point 100/100 times if I was sure he missed the call.

Geezer Guy
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't mind calling against myself on a DTL sideline ball that I see clearly. I do it all the time. On serves that may or may not touch the service line, or subsequent balls that may or may not touch the baseline, I just go by whatever my opponent calls. I've never been in a situation where a ball was so far beyond the baseline that I just had to make a call. If it did happen, though, I'd make the call.

blakesq
03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
On first serves, its actually AGAINST the rules for you to call your own first serve out.

I don't mind calling against myself on a DTL sideline ball that I see clearly. I do it all the time. On serves that may or may not touch the service line, or subsequent balls that may or may not touch the baseline, I just go by whatever my opponent calls. I've never been in a situation where a ball was so far beyond the baseline that I just had to make a call. If it did happen, though, I'd make the call.

Geezer Guy
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
On first serves, its actually AGAINST the rules for you to call your own first serve out.

Yes, I know. But thanks.

JavierLW
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM

If it was so far out that it's just stupid and I know the guy just didnt see it, then Im going to call it on myself match point or not.

If it's really close, then it's hard to say. Ive had plenty of points where I overrule the other guy only for him to argue with me about it because he thinks he saw it in. (which is weird, but oh well)

JRW
03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
If it's blatantly out (like in your example) then I would call it out against myself. If I hit a shot that I thought was probably out but was too close to be 100% sure about I would leave it up to my opponent to call.

I don't know Wayne all that well, but he always came across as a nice guy. Good for him to do what he did. I'm sure he slept well that night.

beernutz
03-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Actually...

There is one exception. If the receiver plays a first service that is a fault and does not put the return in play, the server or serverís partner may make the fault call. The server and the serverís partner shall call out any second serve that either clearly sees out.

blakesq
03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Thats good to know, thanks!

Actually...

There is one exception. If the receiver plays a first service that is a fault and does not put the return in play, the server or serverís partner may make the fault call. The server and the serverís partner shall call out any second serve that either clearly sees out.