PDA

View Full Version : What kind of game do you play?

andreh
02-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Let's get know the folks on the boards! List seperately what racqeut you use, if you like.

I use a PS 6.0 85 (leaded at 3 and 9) strung w Technifibre NRG18g at 66 pounds. I play serve and volley.

/André

Verbal_Kint
02-22-2004, 03:36 AM
All-court, try to play 'by the rules' but quite attacking. Like the net and S&V quite a lot.

Will probably switch from SRD tour 90s to Head I Radicals (mp)

Marnix

JRW
02-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Power baseline game. The only time I go to the net is when I hit a good shot in the corner and know I'll get a floater. Currently using the HPS 5.0 mp strung with Ashaway kevlar 18/ Gosen og micro 17.

Kirko
02-22-2004, 06:04 AM
counter puncher ; POG oversize prn. syn. gut 17ga. 64lbs.

peter
02-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Style: Baseliner (but I've lately tried some S&V just for the fun of it :-)
Rackets: Wilson PS 6.0-85
Strings: Tyger Boron at 55lbs.
Playstrength: 3.5-4.0 (a guess)

joe sch
02-22-2004, 06:24 AM
If I can beat an opponent hitting cannon balls and controlling the baseline then Im more than happy to bash and save energy but most often against good baseliners or faster players I am forced to use my S/V plan of attack, which requires slower spin serves. Inbetween these 2 alll-out forms of attack is a allcourt game which makes the battle even more difficult since it involves more decision making. This is the advantage to being able to play all forms of styles, you can adjust your game plan to whats working and what may break the momentum of a soo far loosing battle. I have enjoyed watching many of the past champions turn around matches by changing tactics/styles but seldom see this being done in todays baseline bashing game :( Why not :?: If you are going to loose the match/set anyway, why not try a different plan :wink:
Cheers, Joe

David Valencia
02-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Style: All-courter
Racquet: Wilson ProStaff 6.0 85
String: Babolat VS Team 17/Prince Syn. Gut Soft 17
Tension: 53 lbs.

ejch8456
02-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Counter Puncher - Head I prestige mid 55 Babolat Super Fine Play

Feña14
02-22-2004, 11:40 AM
I play an allcourt game, but my groundstrokes are far better than my volleys and serves. I play a bit like a Mr Ferrero, thats who I base my game on because I like his style and it best suits my game.

Racket: liquidmetal prestige when it comes next week! :)

Thanks

Liam

James Brown
02-22-2004, 11:57 AM
counter puncher type game, necessary because i only have 1 wrist for now :>

wilson pro staff 6.0 95 with babolat tonic gut at 56.

mitchell_ota
02-22-2004, 12:43 PM
I'd like to play a pure S&V game, but my serve is still a little sketchy at times, so sometimes I have to duke it out from the baseline. I also haven't really figured out the chip & charge on the return side, so those are things I need to work on. At the moment, I play a more or less all-court game, since I try to get into net as much as possible, but I can play from the baseline if I have to.

I currently play a Wilson Tour 90 and I usually use Babolat Conquest 17 string at 58#. At the moment, I don't have direct access to my stringing machine, so I'm running Gosen Polylon 17 in one racquet and Wilson Stamina 17 in the other...once I'm back home on Maui, though, it's going to be all Conquest 17 for the summer.

Coda
02-22-2004, 09:56 PM
4.0 S&Ver, 5.0-5.5ish serve, groundies are 3.5, vollies 4.0

PS 6.0 95,85
VS Team Gut at 60

jayserinos99
02-22-2004, 10:31 PM
4.0 all-courter (could be higher if i weren't overweight)

Racquets:
- Volkl Tour 10 MP w/ Hex Power 17 @ 58 lbs
- Head Pro Tour 280 w/ Hex Power 17 @ 55 lbs
- Yonex RD-7 w/ Wilson NXT Max @ 60 lbs (main), 57 lbs (cross)

BHud
02-23-2004, 04:15 AM
4.5 all-court, POG OS

bob
02-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Style: Mostly baseline but can take net
rate: 4.5
Stick: POG OS strung with Price syn gut with duraflex at 67

I played a lot in the early 80's then stopped playing for around 15 years. When I came back I tried a bunch of sticks (Yonex MP1 98, Yomex MP80, Prince Warrior OS, Prince Warrior, mid, Volkl Tour 9, POG mid) but keep coming back to the POG OS which is a great racquet.

I stay on the baseline until I can attack my oppenents weak side then take the net.

arf22
02-23-2004, 04:45 AM
4.0 all courter, using Head PT280 with the string of the month.

@wright
02-23-2004, 06:10 AM
I'm an all court player back from a 2 year hiatus after a year of college tennis. I've been playing again for about 4 months, so I've still got some catching up to do!

I hit RD Power 10's(95 sqin.)

tennisdad
02-23-2004, 11:25 AM
All-courter - who will mix it up (more net against pushers/slicers, more baseline against basliners) according to the circumstsances.
Fischer Pro N° 1 w/Prince Syn Gut w/DF 18g @58lbs

Grimjack
02-23-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm Rainer Schuettler without the talent.

Grimjack
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm more like Serena Williams (again, without the talent), since I hit an open-stance two-fisted BH most of the time. But there's something of a gender bias that makes the comparison uncomfortable.

kreative
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm more like Serena Williams (again, without the talent), since I hit an open-stance two-fisted BH most of the time. But there's something of a gender bias that makes the comparison uncomfortable.

what, that serena is too much man for comparison?

Grimjack
02-23-2004, 02:28 PM

what, that serena is too much man for comparison?

You know, I'm honestly not sure.

:shock:

Ben42
02-23-2004, 02:28 PM
S&V Player
4.0-4.5
PK 5g
Prince Lightning XX 17@ 60lbs

wao
02-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Power baseliner but will attack the net when the right opportunity
is there.

LM radical O/S
Klip X plosion 17 at 62m - 59X

ucd_ace
02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I play serve and volley/all-court; I constantly look for the chance to take the net. I have used the wonderful Dunlop MW 200g (95) for all two years of my inlustrious career. I'm a 3.5-4.0; for the most part I have the game to play 4.0, but I'm just now gaining the lessons from experience now to bring it all together. Too bad I just graduated high school and my tennis career is over.

WYK
02-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Serve and Volley - But I am getting old and out of shape at 34, and starting to feel it. I am doing more all court nowadays, I'm realizing. I started life as a baseliner until I saw McEnroe and Becker.

I'm a 4.0-4.5, and was 5.0 in college. I just played some co ed doubles with some 3.5'ers whom were very surprised by my kick serves ;)

I use an Estusa Power Beam Pro strung at 56 lbs with either 17 g TNT 2, Gosen 17 super micro blah blah blah, or Technifibre NRG2. It is weighted from 4 o-clock all the way to 8 0-clock with no weight added to the handle. This makes it nearly an even balance and it plows through the ball and has a huge sweetspot. It works great for all sorts of serves, and is still maneuverable at the net.

I still can't stand just staying on the baseline, though. I use my fast, loopy topspin forehands and backhands to take people out wide or fire them down the line and approach the net.

WYK

bcaz
02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
4.0, all-courter, like to S&V and attack, should do so more often. 50 years old, playing 4-5 years now. Used to serve bigger, serving better overall now with the Estusa PBB, especially second/kick serves. Like to hit forehands with lots of topspin, especially to the righty's one-hand backand :D Like to return serve on the backhand side; as a lefty, I see lots of them. Learned a 2HBH, trying to improve my one-hand backhand slice approach.

Love the game, wish I started sooner ... Love singles, crummy doubles player. More experience needed.

BC

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
02-23-2004, 07:43 PM
counter-puncher
mp tour-1 90 with Tecnifibre Spinfire Maxipower 17 String

Richard Pur
02-25-2004, 09:33 AM
4.0+ all court.
Wilson Ultra FPK 95
Leona 66 at 71 lbs

Was a 4.5 but am trying to get back in the game after a 3-4 year haitus. I play a lot of doubles and am pretty agressive at the net. When I play singles, I am an all court player.

I think I've narrowed my search for a new racquet to the Slazenger Pro Braided, unless the demos for the Wilson Tour 95 and Slazenger Pro X1 (when it comes out) prove to be better.

This message board and the TW website in general have been a huge help to me.

Jeffrey Wang
02-25-2004, 12:41 PM
I like to attack when ever I can so I have learn to manage all shot and try to take the ball early and inside the baseline if I could. The with short reply, hit an wide or deep approach shoot to setup volley. Or pull my opponent wide with spin and make him run. I am using Wilson PS Tour 95 for my single and Prince More Approach for double. I usually use 17ga multifilament strings like Wilson Sensation/sensation supreme, Technifibre NGR2 with tension toward lower end.

Japanese Maple
02-25-2004, 07:34 PM
I am a 5.0 player with an all-court game who plays best when moving foreward to the net. I also love to hit drop shots and lobs to move people up and back to get them tired and target their lack of movement. I play with the Head Intelligence Prestige 98,
standard length loaded with lead tape at 3:00-9:00 and the handle bringing the weight to 13 oz. I use babalot gut,16g, at
56 lbs.

Robert Jones
05-07-2004, 10:38 AM
You have my game. I use to be 100% S/v age 19-27, I took 10+ years off (Golf :) ), found golf was getting me out of shape. Went back to tennis got a new stick and found I was way too out of shape for s/v. Now I am a baseliner and even though I'm in shape for s/v I tend to hang back more.

If I can beat an opponent hitting cannon balls and controlling the baseline then Im more than happy to bash and save energy but most often against good baseliners or faster players I am forced to use my S/V plan of attack, which requires slower spin serves. Inbetween these 2 alll-out forms of attack is a allcourt game which makes the battle even more difficult since it involves more decision making. This is the advantage to being able to play all forms of styles, you can adjust your game plan to whats working and what may break the momentum of a soo far loosing battle. I have enjoyed watching many of the past champions turn around matches by changing tactics/styles but seldom see this being done in todays baseline bashing game :( Why not :?: If you are going to loose the match/set anyway, why not try a different plan :wink:
Cheers, Joe

Steve Huff
05-07-2004, 08:26 PM
This question reminds me of a pep talk my HS coach gave us at one of team meetings. He said, "You've got to play to your strengths. Like Kimball here. Kimball plays a power game. He needs to use that power. And McGuiggan--he plays a finesse game. He needs to move them around the court, set up the point. Now Huff here--he has, let me see, Huff has a 'lucky' game. Go out there and get lucky again."

I was the #1 player on my team. He never knew what type of game I played, except that I was d__n lucky.

tennisfan21
05-07-2004, 09:55 PM
all courter

I want to be a consistent serve volleyer tho

i use Prince Warrior Mid

not sure what stings..i posted on which strings i should use

YEMntFtb
05-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Im 17, play the style of a 5.0 baseline basher usually, in highschool tennis I play a lot of pushers, so I would also consider myself and all courter in those cases. Pushers are the most annoying player to play against, ever.

Right now I just switched from the HC PS 5.0 Stretch to a dunlop 200g. The dunlop is much different, but soots my game and has helped improve my volleys. This racquet is only temporery, as I would like to switch to fischer, hopefully by the end of the summer. I use stamina @65 Lbs and a rubber band dampener

TennisMD
05-08-2004, 06:37 PM
4.0 ,in the summer play out doors on Hard Tru so power baseline. In the winter I am on the east coast so indoors and alot of doubles so serve and volley here, because of the increased doubles this winter probably becoming more all court

drakulie
05-08-2004, 06:56 PM
4.5-5.0 All courter.
Best shots: Inside-out Forehand / Cross Court Backhand/ Kick Serve
PS 85 Original (St. Vincent) 4 1/2 grip-No Bumper Guard
Ashaway Crossfire II, 16 gauge strung at 70 lbs.