PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Aussie Open court surface, help?

Mansewerz
03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
During the Federer Korolev match, the commentators (I think Drysdale) mentioned that the slice and topspin sit up. At the US Open, it's not a factor for Federer because of the court speed, but the Aussie is slower so it was a factor here.

They were then saying that a big flat hitter had a very good chance at success (i.e. Korolev).

I don't get it. Isn't slice supposed to skid and stay low. For a low bouncing surface, like the Aussie (compared to the Rebound ace), it seems wrong.

Nadal_Freak
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Aussie Open is pretty neutral. I wouldn't call it high bouncing or low bouncing. Rebound Ace is not as high bouncing as it was hyped to be. I watched many matches and it doesn't seem that high bouncing. Nadal would've loved rebound ace if it was so.

GugaGuga
03-07-2009, 12:55 PM
A smoother surface will cause a slice to skid and stay low.

A more textured surface will cause it to "check" a bit and sit up.

Soft grass is ideal for a slice, as it will let the ball sit wickedly low.

Drysdale is no slouch of a tennis player, I would tend to trust his statement. I'm sure he's played on the courts down there, and I my impression is that they have been slowed down a bit.

Cl1ntrock
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
i can answer for u i played on it..
Its a unique surface..its a bit softer than a normal hardcourt under your feet..
i played on it when i was brand new..and i thought it was a great surface because u could hit every shot..slice stays kinda low..but a topspin kicks up..
same for serve..u could slide it but kick it as well..the surface gets faster during the tourney as well..
but i thought coming from normal hardcourts it was pretty slow ...(when it was new) but very comfortable..
so the ball actually reacts 2 what u play..
Rebound..when it was new...ball kicks up like hellll...soo griddy..like sandpaper..kills the balls as well..

coloskier
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
During the Federer Korolev match, the commentators (I think Drysdale) mentioned that the slice and topspin sit up. At the US Open, it's not a factor for Federer because of the court speed, but the Aussie is slower so it was a factor here.

They were then saying that a big flat hitter had a very good chance at success (i.e. Korolev).

I don't get it. Isn't slice supposed to skid and stay low. For a low bouncing surface, like the Aussie (compared to the Rebound ace), it seems wrong.

Slice only skids and stays low on fast surfaces. It sits up on slower surfaces and clay.