PDA

View Full Version : Spain has a new captain?

ESP#1
03-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I guess I haven't been paying attention but it seems that Costa is the new captain for the spanish DC team. What happen to sanchez?

saram
03-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I heard he was fired/let go as the players were upset about the Madrid decision last year and not playing on clay. I guess that decision cost him his job--at least according to the commentators via streaming video of the DC match yesterday.

ESP#1
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I heard he was fired/let go as the players were upset about the Madrid decision last year and not playing on clay. I guess that decision cost him his job--at least according to the commentators via streaming video of the DC match yesterday.

Didn't think the madrid location was his idea, thought that was up to the higher ups. It also seems weird to fire a captain after winning the davis cup

iriraz
03-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Emilio Sanchez resigned from his post as Davis Cup captain.No one fired him but he decided he had enough of that job and let Costa take the captain role

saram
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Emilio Sanchez resigned from his post as Davis Cup captain.No one fired him but he decided he had enough of that job and let Costa take the captain role

Thanks for the clarity. I too, like ESP#1 was trying to figure out how you could fire a coach that took you to the DC title.

batz
03-08-2009, 06:13 AM
I reckon one of my cats (the fat one) could captain Spain to DC glory.

ESP#1
03-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Yea, Spains practice players would play on any other DC team:)

Thanks for clearing the Emilio thing up, I thought it sounded weird to shame emilio after all he's done, not only in dc but for spanish tennis period

tahiti
03-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Yes they do. Though agreed, who needs a captain with a team like that!
Funny to see Rafa getting coached in the breaks :)

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Sanchez went to (or was going to) Brazil to help develop their tennis players program, or so I read. I think he was just interested in a new venue to challenge his abilities. I can't say I blame him, if this is true. Always interesting to do a changeup in a new direction.

NandoMania
03-09-2009, 12:42 AM

I don't understand this post, because the Madrid Davis Cup was played on clay, and it wasn't Sanchez' decision to play at that venue.

NandoMania
03-09-2009, 12:46 AM
I reckon one of my cats (the fat one) could captain Spain to DC glory.

That is funny :D And your cat probably would not talk and talk and talk as much as Costa did yesterday after Spain won :lol: