PDA

View Full Version : Daren Cahill hired by Federer as a coach...

makhan10
03-07-2009, 02:59 AM
I am sorry if this has been posted before
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNFBih1Vp3qHrssZQlWFUmrgVRDCUg&cid=0&ei=pVOyScipFJSA7QO6_tnSAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxsports.com.au%2Fstory%2F0% 2C8659%2C25150090-23216%2C00.html

federerdomination
03-07-2009, 03:53 AM
So this is official then?

miyagi
03-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Good for Federer it will be interesting to see how this relationship develops

Jonnyf
03-07-2009, 04:25 AM
Yeah, I'd heard Cahill was in Dubai for a "trial period" with Federer, Hope it goes well!

tennis_hand
03-07-2009, 04:34 AM
he would have realized he was in danger when he beat Nadal in 5 sets in wimbledon 2007. Though he beat him there, he should have known what was coming and prepared. but he didn't and guess what? lost in 2008. A coach does pinpoint your weaknesses.

Sentinel
03-07-2009, 04:42 AM
So it took a Nadal to get Roger to hire a coach.

caulcano
03-07-2009, 04:43 AM
I am sorry if this has been posted before
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNFBih1Vp3qHrssZQlWFUmrgVRDCUg&cid=0&ei=pVOyScipFJSA7QO6_tnSAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxsports.com.au%2Fstory%2F0% 2C8659%2C25150090-23216%2C00.html

Hopefully, it will be a long & successful relationship.

larry10s
03-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Read The Article. There Is No Long Term Agreement Yet

Fedace
03-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Am i GOOD or what ??? I said about 2-3 month ago, Roger should hire Darren Cahill as coach and now it happens.

tennis_hand
03-07-2009, 05:39 AM
So it took a Nadal to get Roger to hire a coach.

it's true.

vtmike
03-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Am i GOOD or what ??? I said about 2-3 month ago, Roger should hire Darren Cahill as coach and now it happens.

Sorry to burst your bubble but a lot of people said that he needed to hire a coach... and a lot of guys also agreed Cahill was the right guy...

Nadal_Freak
03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Another great coach that will get ignored by Federer. Federer is just too stubborn for a coach. They all say the same thing and get fired in maybe a year.

Sentinel
03-07-2009, 06:53 AM
YOU are the GOAT, Sir !
Now please say that Federer will win the French Open 2009!

Another great coach that will get ignored by Federer. Federer is just too stubborn for a coach. They all say the same thing and get fired in maybe a year.

Nadal_freak, getting nervous? sleepless nights thinking of Roger winning everything on the board? ;-) just kidding, I hope Feddie takes him seriously and it works out.

Fedace
03-07-2009, 06:56 AM
YOU are the GOAT, Sir !
Now please say that Federer will win the French Open 2009!

Nadal_freak, getting nervous? sleepless nights thinking of Roger winning everything on the board? ;-) just kidding, I hope Feddie takes him seriously and it works out.

Federer WILL WIN the French open.. if Roger starts to cry again and Rafa feels really bad for him....

Rabbit
03-07-2009, 07:33 AM
This is really good news. I heard PMac just the other day commenting that Federer "shouldn't be so stubborn and should hire a coach". Seems like PMac had the inside track.

Now, I hope Federer will listen to Cahill and stick with him. Cahill knows his stuff apparently.

roundiesee
03-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Federer WILL WIN the French open.. if Roger starts to cry again and Rafa feels really bad for him....

LOL, I don't think Nadal will feel THAT badly about old Rog to gve him the title on a platter :)

Blade0324
03-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm not yet sure if hiring Cahill as his coach is a good move or not. Federer does well against virtually every other player in the world except Nadal. So if he makes changes to his game to assist with beating Nadal (we'll see if he even can) then will he suffer against other top players and lose early in tournaments and not even get the shot at Rafa. I guess time will tell how it works out.

Nadal_Freak
03-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not yet sure if hiring Cahill as his coach is a good move or not. Federer does well against virtually every other player in the world except Nadal. So if he makes changes to his game to assist with beating Nadal (we'll see if he even can) then will he suffer against other top players and lose early in tournaments and not even get the shot at Rafa. I guess time will tell how it works out.
Last time I looked Murray had a 5-2 record against Nadal. It's not just Nadal.

Fearsome Forehand
03-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Seems to me that Fed's problems with Rafa are strictly between his ears. He choked away the 2008 Wimby and 2009 AO Finals with some sudden, inexplicably bad games in the final set that virtually handed Rafa both championships. The pressure of the moment (and breaking Sampras' GS record) has simply gotten to Roger.

Darin reportedly has already instructed Fed, "Rahger, you have to stop choking in the fifth set against Rafar. Don't do that anymore; it's very bad! Also, engaging in long rallies with Rafar is not a great idea. Moreover, get at least 70% of your first serves in and only go to the net behind really great approach shots or tremendous serves. And don't forget to convert your break point opportunities!" ;o)

There really isn't anything glaringly wrong with Fed's game. He is about as close to perfect as a player can get. And he is in very good physical condition. Perhaps, Cahill can give him an idea, or two, that will help him tactically against Nadal. It can't really hurt, I suppose, but, I seriously doubt it will be a long marriage, or of all that much benefit to Fed.

anointedone
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Actually I totally disagree with you here. Yes he has been in the last 4 slam finals. However Federer has been struggling more with the entire tour than he used to, not just Nadal. Last year he lost to Fish, Roddick, Blake when he had won something like 50 straight matches vs American players. He lost to Stepanek on clay in the big Rome event, lost twice in a row to Simon, lost in straight sets in a slam semifinal to Djokovic, nearly lost to Tipsarevic and Andreev in 5 setters at a grand slam. He has lost something like 5 of his last 6 meetings in the last year to Murray. Changes are definitely in order if he wants to win more slams and get anywhere near the #1 ranking again.

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I think Federer hiring a coach (or even contemplating one) shows that he is willing to listen to other people. Stubborn as Federer is, I think he has reached the point where he knows he cannot do everything by himself.

edmondsm
03-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Hopefully Cahill convinces him to start running around his forehand more and utilizing the drop shot. I honestly have never understood why Federer stands on the baseline and eats it on his backhand over and over when he knows it's going there. Why doesn't he run around it ala Jim Courier? I guess that's his stubbornness at work. Djokovic also showed us in Hamburg last year how effective the drop shot can be against Nadal.

oneguy21
03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
^^^^I agree with you. He needs to play 2/3 of the court with his forehand.

edberg505
03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Hopefully Cahill convinces him to start running around his forehand more and utilizing the drop shot. I honestly have never understood why Federer stands on the baseline and eats it on his backhand over and over when he knows it's going there. Why doesn't he run around it ala Jim Courier? I guess that's his stubbornness at work. Djokovic also showed us in Hamburg last year how effective the drop shot can be against Nadal.

That is easier said than done. The angle that Nadal creates on that crosscourt forehand makes it nearly impossible for him to run around it. Not to mention he'll have to make that shot a really good one as he will leave the whole court open to hit into.

tennis_hand
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM

I agree. he should have used his forehand more and hit a high risk forehand, so even if nadal returns to his forehand side, it can be a weak return. and he needs to train on running fast. Drop shot works for players who are strong baseliners, because they are best at running left and right, but not so good at running front and hit out of surprise.

Maybe Fed wants to prove his good backhand in playing against Nadal. or he simply became lazy at running around to hit the forehand.

NamRanger
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
That is easier said than done. The angle that Nadal creates on that crosscourt forehand makes it nearly impossible for him to run around it. Not to mention he'll have to make that shot a really good one as he will leave the whole court open to hit into.

He should never really allow Nadal to ever get to his backhand on Federer's service games though, unless Nadal just plays an absolutely spectacular point. The problem is at the AO and Wimbledon 2008, is that he allowed to Nadal to get to the BH even on his own service games. That's a pretty big problem IMO.

It's ok if Nadal gets to the BH on Nadal's service games; that is expected. However, if Federer can't mask his weakness during his own service games, he'l eventually get broken, and that is where he runs into trouble.

edmondsm
03-08-2009, 11:49 PM

I realize that, but at least it would give Nadal something to think about. The way the last few matchups have gone, Federer did exactly what Nadal needed him too.

Nadal's angles are crazy, but not on every point. Everybody in the stadium, at home, aliens on alpha centuri, knows that Nadal is going to hit to Fed's backhand on every point. If you go back and watch, there are many instances where Federer could have anticipated and run around the shot.

Federer is stubborn though. He wants to win his way and that works 99% of the time, just rarely against Nadal. I imagine he thinks that this would be an ugly strategy, the same way he thinks about the drop shot (he rarely plays this shot even though he possesses a lovely bh droper).

If you go back and watch the last point of the 07' Wimbledon final Federer runs around 2 or 3 forehands on that point. He does it because it's championship point at Wimbledon, but any other time he appears to be to proud to make this play.