PDA

View Full Version : We can all forget about Novak challenging Nadal at RG

miyagi
03-07-2009, 04:25 AM
As the title says I was one of the people who said based on Hamburg and RG last year that Djoko could challenge Rafa at RG.

I was wrong, completely wrong. His performance today was terrible.

I do not understand what has happened to Novak he seems to be so low at the moment I doubt he will manage to hold onto his 3rd place ranking if he continues to play like this.

What a shame!

SourStraws
03-07-2009, 04:53 AM
Agree 100%..... If anyone was watching Davis Cup yesterday.... The commentators said as far as the top 4 is concerned.... The top four are Fed, Rafa, Roddick, and Murray.... Wat do you guys think??

Edit: The commentators of the Tennis Channel

S.S.

Giggs The Red Devil
03-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Take it easy. I don’t think he tried his best, he’s more concerned about IW (he’s the defending champion). Let’s wait to see how he’ll do in Monte Carlo and Rome.

miyagi
03-07-2009, 05:05 AM
I dont agree Roddick is in the top 4, I dont think Roddick at his best can win a slam....I do think Nadal, Fed, Murray, Djoko can...

Why wouldn't he try his best? In anycase beating Ferrer is a must if he wants to challenge Nadal as we know Ferrer is a least two levels below Nadal

gj011
03-07-2009, 05:35 AM
I knew haters will be in a hurry to start with silly threads like this one.
Today is not a measure how Novak can play on clay. This is in the middle of the hardcourt season, Serbian team could not get enough training time in Spain due to a bad weather which shows today in both Djokovic and Tipsarevic play, the match was postponed and schedule was screwed up due to a weather and IMO unacceptable bad organization, Novak might need to play doubles today as well, he was obviously not in the match because this was already lost cause considering the opponent and circumstances, his mind is already in IW, ...

gj011
03-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Agree 100%..... If anyone was watching Davis Cup yesterday.... The commentators said as far as the top 4 is concerned.... The top four are Fed, Rafa, Roddick, and Murray.... Wat do you guys think??

S.S.

LOL. Those commentators are fools.

Novak gets no respect or recognition. Ridiculous.

Clydey2times
03-07-2009, 05:50 AM
So according to the Tennis Channel, Roddick is currently the 3rd best player in the world? Not Djokovic or Murray, but Roddick?

Bunch of morons.

vtmike
03-07-2009, 06:33 AM
As the title says I was one of the people who said based on Hamburg and RG last year that Djoko could challenge Rafa at RG.

I do not understand what has happened to Novak he seems to be so low at the moment I doubt he will manage to hold onto his 3rd place ranking if he continues to play like this.

What a shame!

I think he had breathing problems :confused:

thejoe
03-07-2009, 06:41 AM
The only thing stupider than talking someone up, is talking them down at their first mistake. You sir, are an idiot. We have seen that Novak can challenge Nadal on clay, and today changes nothing.

Nadal_Freak
03-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Ferrer at his best is very tough on clay. See Barcelona match with Nadal last year. I still think Djokovic is the toughest matchup for Nadal on clay. Maybe not the toughest matchup for Ferrer though.

tahiti
03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Nole just geniunely looks tired all the time. He never used to hit shots far out a metre past the baseline. As Davis Cup now carries points it seems that he could have at least gotten a set of Ferrer. I don't think Nole is going to defend his IW title in fact I had a lot of faith in him last year but this year, I think he is going to slip so Roddick might just rise as well as Murray of course. Djoko just does't look like a happy puppy on court. I still like him, he's got the talent, maybe he's just pacing himself.

thejoe
03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Ferrer at his best is very tough on clay. See Barcelona match with Nadal last year. I still think Djokovic is the toughest matchup for Nadal on clay. Maybe not the toughest matchup for Ferrer though.

Bingo.

10 char.

Frankauc
03-07-2009, 06:50 AM
it will still be a Roger-Nadal RG final again (i hope so).

But maybe Monfils or Verdasco will make it too the final if they dont play nadal

miyagi
03-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Today is not a measure how Novak can play on clay. This is in the middle of the hardcourt season, Serbian team could not get enough training time in Spain due to a bad weather which shows today in both Djokovic and Tipsarevic play, the match was postponed and schedule was screwed up due to a weather and IMO unacceptable bad organization, Novak might need to play doubles today as well, he was obviously not in the match because this was already lost cause considering the opponent and circumstances, his mind is already in IW, ...

Hater? Please tell me where there is ANY hate in my post!

I'm a djoko fan....I would dearly like to see him do better but whatever reason he doesn't have it in him at the moment.

If he loses to Ferrer in straights he is NOT touching Nadal fact...for whoever said Ferrer is tough opponent on clay yes he may well be...but that is a tough opponent that has never been to RG and is not likely too.

My point is RG not clay in general and if you lot saw something I didn't then please enlihten me because right now I do not see a cats in hells chance of Novak even competing with Nadal at RG let alone beating him.

miyagi
03-07-2009, 08:01 AM
The only thing stupider than talking someone up, is talking them down at their first mistake. You sir, are an idiot. We have seen that Novak can challenge Nadal on clay, and today changes nothing.

First mistake? Have you been watching Novak play this season? There is something a miss with him for sure....

We saw Blake challenge (and Beat) Nadal on hards but that is less likely now due to Nadal improving and Blake staying still....the same goes for Djoko I think he was playing better last year and I dont see how he is going to turn this aound.

Shaolin
03-07-2009, 08:05 AM

S.S.

So according to the Tennis Channel, Roddick is currently the 3rd best player in the world? Not Djokovic or Murray, but Roddick?

Bunch of morons.

LOL. The "commentators" you guys are referring to = JUSTIN GIMELSTOB, who made the "#4 in the world" comment on TTC yesterday.

You guys are getting all upset about something coming from a guy who pretty much doesnt think before speaking.

Nadal_Freak
03-07-2009, 08:22 AM
LOL. The "commentators" you guys are referring to = JUSTIN GIMELSTOB, who made the "#4 in the world" comment on TTC yesterday.

You guys are getting all upset about something coming from a guy who pretty much doesnt think before speaking.
No surprise. Gimelstobb is an idiot and should be fired. Worst tennis commentator of all-time.

Ocean Drive
03-07-2009, 08:27 AM
he isn't an announcer, he is a commentator, huge difference.

Gimelstob is great, go Justin Gimelstob!

ESP#1
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't put to much stock into what the commentators at the tennis channel say. Novak isn't going anywhere, hats off to Ferrer who is coming back from a slump, he played great today

tintin
03-07-2009, 11:26 AM

S.S.

Roddick?:shock::lol:
Roddick lost a set to Hewitt who almost had his hip replaced and he's 4th?:roll:

Djokovic's excuse that he had no time to practice on clay is pathetic considering he had the same amount of time as did Ferrer:roll:

julesb
03-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Djokovic was never going to challenge Nadal on clay. You shouldnt have needed to have seen todays match to know this. Djokovic is a good clay courter but he isnt in Nadal's league on the surface. I dont know why people are so surprised Ferrer beat him. Ferrer was a top 5 player only a year ago whose best surface is clay. Djokovic's best surface is not clay. By all logic Ferrer would have had a good shot.

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Roddick is 17-3 while Novak is 14-4. Roddick has gotten farther in the only current slam, and has made it to the semis or finals of all the tournaments he has lost in (Australian, S&P, Doha). Meanwhile, Novak hasn't exactly been a consistent player so far.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Roddick is the better player than Novak, but he certainly is displaying a far higher level of consistency.

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Djokovic was never going to challenge Nadal on clay. You shouldnt have needed to have seen todays match to know this. Djokovic is a good clay courter but he isnt in Nadal's league on the surface. I dont know why people are so surprised Ferrer beat him. Ferrer was a top 5 player only a year ago whose best surface is clay. Djokovic's best surface is not clay. By all logic Ferrer would have had a good shot.

Well considering Djokovic clobbered Ferrer the last 2 times they played, I think he was a big favorite coming into this match.

Cloudy
03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Well considering Djokovic clobbered Ferrer the last 2 times they played, I think he was a big favorite coming into this match.

he has never beaten him on clay

Frankauc
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
and i think ferrer best surface is hard courts

Nadal_Freak
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
and i think ferrer best surface is hard courts
Or fast clay. It seems Spain picked some pretty fast clay courts that bounce high. I guess that is what he likes.

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
he has never beaten him on clay

They've played one match on clay, and the most recent matches were Djokovic clobbering Ferrer. Also, with Ferrer's recent form, you'd think Djokovic should have won this match easily.

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Or fast clay. It seems Spain picked some pretty fast clay courts that bounce high. I guess that is what he likes.

That is what both Nadal and Ferrer like. Plus, it still allows them to somewhat effectively use Verdasco and Lopez (both who are fast surface players). The fast clay allows Nadal to put tremendous spin and yank his opponents around, while it allows Ferrer to attack with his FH easier, while still maintaining a slower speed so that he can defend well.

Leublu tennis
03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Novak isn't going anywhere, hats off to Ferrer who is coming back from a slump, he played great today I agree with both of your comments and have been saying all along that Djokovic is not doing particularly well. Dubai was a fluke. Any one of the players who were out could have taken him. Thats Federer, Nadal, Murray and Verdasco. And Ferrer did play well but no excuse for Djokovic. He is not going anywhere. Just does not look like the player of last year.

Cloudy
03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
They've played one match on clay, and the most recent matches were Djokovic clobbering Ferrer. Also, with Ferrer's recent form, you'd think Djokovic should have won this match easily.

2 actually ok 1 was in 2004 but Ferrer wasn't exactly wonderful then either.

and counting today their head to head is 4-4 overall. Novak has never beaten Ferru on clay and Ferru has beaten Djokovic on hard once.

I would say the clay this tie is played on though looks quite slow to me. It isn't fast clay.

TheTruth
03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Ebbs and flows. Djokovic will be back. He will turn this thing around. He's too talented not to, and he believes in himself. He may be going through rough times, but I doubt what Justin said has any relevance whatsoever.

Morrissey
03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
We'll find out tomorrow if Joker can challenge Nadal on clay. Nadal looked impressive today while Joker looked terrible vs Ferrer who he beat a week back in Dubai. I smell a rout. But let's see what happens. Tomorrow would be a good indicator of the clay season ahead.

veroniquem
03-07-2009, 12:39 PM
What if Novak straightsets Rafa tomorrow? There will be a new thread entitled: Djokovic has already won RG, congrats! and another one saying: Djokovic will be #1 in 2 months :D

thalivest
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
What if Novak straightsets Rafa tomorrow?

That is like saying what if a pink bunny flies on court with Paris Hilton on his back and eats the Bryans brothers later today.

veroniquem
03-07-2009, 12:41 PM
That is like saying what if a pink bunny flies on court with Paris Hilton on his back and eats the Bryans brothers later today.
I know, that's why it's funny :lol:

Ripster
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Nadal is the obvious huge favourite but it's way too early to make a statement like this. Save it for the clay court season.

anointedone
03-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Nadal is the obvious huge favourite but it's way too early to make a statement like this. Save it for the clay court season.

It is not like too early to make a statement like this. I would say it is more like it is pointless to make a statement like this. Such a statement is more appropriate when it is some new or confirmed revelation. Djokovic, and pretty much anyone else now that the Federer threat to Nadal on clay seemed to be extinguished for good in 2008, not being a threat to Nadal on clay is neither of these things. It is something that was already well known and not needing a topic to illustrate.

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
The only threat to Nadal at RG is if Davydenko decided to stop choking, or if Nalbandian decided to pull an Agassi and get into shape. I don't think either is gonna happen any time soon.

anointedone
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
The only threat to Nadal at RG is if Davydenko decided to stop choking, or if Nalbandian decided to pull an Agassi and get into shape. I don't think neither is gonna happen any time soon.

Yeah I agree an extremely fit Nalbandian and a suddently mentally steely Davydenko would be Nadal's biggest threats on clay. It would actually be nice to see as I like to see a good contest and some suspense even with my favorites, but as you said it seems unlikely. Game wise, eliiminating the other factors, those two have the best tools to challenge Nadal on clay though.

VivalaVida
03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
What if Novak straightsets Rafa tomorrow? There will be a new thread entitled: Djokovic has already won RG, congrats! and another one saying: Djokovic will be #1 in 2 months :D
:lol: so true. there will be a new thread in every corner about djokovic that will say "Djokovic the new GOAT?" "Djokovic better than nadal and federer" :lol:

Cloudy
03-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah I agree an extremely fit Nalbandian and a suddently mentally steely Davydenko would be Nadal's biggest threats on clay. It would actually be nice to see as I like to see a good contest and some suspense even with my favorites, but as you said it seems unlikely. Game wise, eliiminating the other factors, those two have the best tools to challenge Nadal on clay though.

what about Tsonga he might be good he hasn't actually had a clay season yet cos he is always injured.

miyagi
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
what about Tsonga he might be good he hasn't actually had a clay season yet cos he is always injured.

Naa Tsonga dont have the consistancy to hit long rallies....he is a hard court player and of late he has struggled with nadal on hard no way he beats Nadal on clay.

Cloudy
03-07-2009, 03:57 PM
We have no idea what he can do on clay though. I understand he was brought up playing on clay. He might be crap but he could be the goat.

miyagi
03-07-2009, 04:11 PM
We have no idea what he can do on clay though. I understand he was brought up playing on clay. He might be crap but he could be the goat.

I think we can safely say Tsonga is not the GOAT on clay.

Either way what I am saying is his playing style is not ideal for clay.

Safinator_1
03-07-2009, 04:55 PM

So true i wish there more Novak fans like you everyone here is so biased :P

Safinator_1
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
No surprise. Gimelstobb is an idiot and should be fired. Worst tennis commentator of all-time.

Whos Gimelstobb? LOL

RCizzle65
03-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ebbs and flows. Djokovic will be back. He will turn this thing around. He's too talented not to, and he believes in himself. He may be going through rough times, but I doubt what Justin said has any relevance whatsoever.

I wish the same could have been said for Safin

The only threat to Nadal at RG is if Davydenko decided to stop choking, or if Nalbandian decided to pull an Agassi and get into shape. I don't think either is gonna happen any time soon.

Davydenko was just out with injury, and he sometimes gets far in slams.

Fedace
03-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Ferrer is pretty good. but he wiped his you know what with Novak today. Novak is NO threat to Nadal. Only person with a slight chance is Del potro or Ferrero.

Cloudy
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Del Potro is one dimensional I can't believe he would trouble Rafa on clay.

miniRafa386
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
as of right now i think its nadal, federer, murray, tsonga, verdasco and monfils who are playing overall the best tennis this season. for top 4, nadal fed murray and verdasco

edberg505
03-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I think we can safely say Tsonga is not the GOAT on clay.

Either way what I am saying is his playing style is not ideal for clay.

Well neither did Edberg or Stich and they both made the finals at the FO.

NandoMania
03-07-2009, 06:46 PM

What a shame!

Well he did pick up and challenge in the third set, and it's possible he could improve on clay in time for RG in 2010 and following :)

NandoMania
03-07-2009, 06:49 PM

I hope you're right. He plays Rafa tomorrow, and for some reason I think he might improve his performance, as crazy as that may sound, since Troicki and Zimonjiz took the doubles duty.

Parabolica
03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Dyko has no chance against Rafa on clay. He may make it tough for 3-4 sets but wont win. The only person is the world who even has a chance against Rafa on clay is Fed and we all know where his mental game is at...

JoshDragon
03-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Tsonga has almost no chance of making the finals at FO. Even if Federer has an off day, I wouldn't favor Tsonga's chances.

I think Tsonga, may still win a few majors but it won't be at Roland Garros.

Nadal_Freak
03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
True but his one-dimension is what I think would trouble Nadal. He hits hard and flat and is able to handle the high ball due to his height and two-handed backhand.

SaintClaires
03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
No one will challenge Nadal in RG unless Nadal is injured.

ChanceEncounter
03-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Why are we even discussing anyone challenging Nadal at RG?

Gugafan
03-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Davydenko is awesome on clay...Should have taken Fed out at the semis of RG 2 yrs back, but choked miserably.

He certainly has the speed and groundstrokes to keep up with the best on clay.....Missing the Aus Open should give him an invigorated feeling to perform well at the French.

The short layoff may be beneficial to a player like Davydenko, who at times plays more tournaments then necessary.

vtmike
03-07-2009, 07:57 PM

I got news for you...so is Nadal!

Ian Stewart
03-07-2009, 08:00 PM
A reminder of why Rafa is God on clay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcPcNsIZw8&feature=related)

VivalaVida
03-07-2009, 08:26 PM
A reminder of why Rafa is God on clay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcPcNsIZw8&feature=related)
the defense produced by Rafa at the 1 min mark is absolutely phenomenal!

NamRanger
03-07-2009, 08:49 PM
True but his one-dimension is what I think would trouble Nadal. He hits hard and flat and is able to handle the high ball due to his height and two-handed backhand.

He has bad movement, and is unable to create angles, which are two necessary things to be able to beat Nadal. Although Nalbandian may be unfit most of the time that man can still move with some of the best when he is fit. Davydenko, an explanation isn't even necessary.

TheTruth
03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I wish the same could have been said for Safin

So do I. Safin could have turned it around, but seems to be too impatient. Really sad. There's so much tennis in him and he's throwing in the towel prematurely, unless the pain is too much is more than he can handle. Still, tennis loses when he retires.

thalivest
03-07-2009, 11:08 PM
So do I. Safin could have turned it around, but seems to be too impatient. Really sad. There's so much tennis in him and he's throwing in the towel prematurely, unless the pain is too much is more than he can handle. Still, tennis loses when he retires.

In fairness to Marat keep in mind he is 29. That is certainly not young for tennis in this day in age, and age in this day in age in tennis is not a mans friend. On top of that he has had some horrible injuries since 2005. Injuries combined with age rob one of movement, and when you lose half a step, even when you are someone who doesnt rely as much on speed then....

TheTruth
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM
In fairness to Marat keep in mind he is 29. That is certainly not young for tennis in this day in age, and age in this day in age in tennis is not a mans friend. On top of that he has had some horrible injuries since 2005. Injuries combined with age rob one of movement, and when you lose half a step, even when you are someone who doesnt rely as much on speed then....

I know. When I say could have I meant he probably should have tried awhile ago. When he came back on the tour after his injury he seemed to be bogged down with the extent of his injuries and never quite got back on track. Now, it's probably definitely too late at 29.

thalivest
03-08-2009, 12:03 AM
I know. When I say could have I meant he probably should have tried awhile ago. When he came back on the tour after his injury he seemed to be bogged down with the extent of his injuries and never quite got back on track. Now, it's probably definitely too late at 29.

Yep, agreed 100%. It is a shame as his talent and abilities in his prime warrant alot more than just 2 majors and only 4 years in the top 5.

miyagi
03-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Can you please read the OP it says "challenge" Nadal at RG....

Even if Tsonga made the final he would not challenge Nadal especially not on at RG.....I would guess it would be straight sets!

Alexio92
03-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Davydenko will win the FO this year

miyagi
03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Davydenko will win the FO this year

LOL NO chance.....

henryshli
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Has anyone said anything about the condition of the "clay" courts in Spain?

I read somewhere that they were very extreme in that they were more like sand pits than clay courts. This is as expected though because each country is allowed to prepare the home courts to their advantage.

What I'm trying to say in a VERY long winded is that I won't write Novak off just yet based on the DC match. The courts will play very different at RG and Hamburg.

Actually Hamburg and RG are also very different

miyagi
03-08-2009, 09:38 AM

I read somewhere that they were very extreme in that they were more like sand pits than clay courts. This is as expected though because each country is allowed to prepare the home courts to their advantage.

What I'm trying to say in a VERY long winded is that I won't write Novak off just yet based on the DC match. The courts will play very different at RG and Hamburg.

Yea tipso and novak did mention the court was very poor quality...

I assumed it was due to the bad weather??

Anyway whether it be Hamburg or RG I dont think Novak gets a win...I hope Novak can step it up!

Nadal_Freak
03-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Yea tipso and novak did mention the court was very poor quality...

I assumed it was due to the bad weather??

Anyway whether it be Hamburg or RG I dont think Novak gets a win...I hope Novak can step it up!
Hamburg is no longer a Masters Series but I that was Novak's best chance in beating Nadal. Madrid could also due to the altitude.

tintin
03-08-2009, 09:49 AM

the conditions were equally bad for both players
Ferrer who lost to Djokovic in Dubai btw had the same amount of time to recover from jetlag and get used to the courts and conditions just like Djokovic ;)

edberg505
03-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Can you please read the OP it says "challenge" Nadal at RG....

Even if Tsonga made the final he would not challenge Nadal especially not on at RG.....I would guess it would be straight sets!

I read the OP. My response was to your statement that his game isn't built for clay.

bolo
03-08-2009, 10:08 AM

one of the great shots from last year at 8:35. Amazing ball control even when he is moving at supersonic speeds.

You also have to like the sequence of shots starting at 5:23, lofts up the backhand dtl, goes for the huge forehand down the line and then finishes it off by going behind novak.

tahiti
03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Both Rafa and Nole took some funny glances at the court. Appeared to be a few bobbly parts. I just don't see the fitness in Djoko; when you see how much he had to run today and the amount of times he was trying the drop to opt out, he might have a chance in a 3 setter, but not a 5.

skip1969
03-08-2009, 10:31 AM
The only thing stupider than talking someone up, is talking them down at their first mistake.
this should be the signature for this forum.

if this were a baseball forum, and a batter went 0-4 in a game, someone would start a thread about his imminent demise. if a soccer team lost 3-0, their season would be over. if a shooting guard in basketball missed a bunch of jumpshots, he'd be in an instant slump.

hell, if a diver made a big splash on entry or a figure skater fell on his *** . . . one of you would start a thread . . . oh no! they're finished! argh . . . game over! season over . . . world . . . over.

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
The way I see it, from a Rafa perspective, it is very good to see Djokovic ranked so highly because he is very unlikely to ever beat Rafa in a Grand Slam on any surface, he isn't a very good:
5-set-player

babbette
03-08-2009, 10:46 AM

one of my favorite matches of last year. So much was at stake and both were fighting for it.

RoddickAce
03-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Bunch of morons.

I know! How could they say that, Roddick is currently SECOND in the world in terms of the ATP race.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=248347&highlight=atp+race

CocaCola
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
It is not a clay court season and we can't talk about this, but I think that Novak will be a great chellenge to Rafa at RG. This was his first matces on clay and we can't judge based on this. Just wait untill clay court season starts.

gj011
03-08-2009, 11:29 AM
The way I see it, from a Rafa perspective, it is very good to see Djokovic ranked so highly because he is very unlikely to ever beat Rafa in a Grand Slam on any surface, he isn't a very good:
5-set-player

LOL yet another silly blanket statement. That is why he has 1 GS, 1 GS final and 5 GS SFs in a row.

Djokovic can't beat Nadal in 5 setter on clay, but nobody ever was able to do that. On other surfaces, especially on HCs he has a good chance.

Djokovic is massively underrated these days on this board.

gj011
03-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I know! How could they say that, Roddick is currently SECOND in the world in terms of the ATP race.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=248347&highlight=atp+race

Djokovic is, despite popular belief of his demise here, ranked 4th in this years race. So yet again those so called "commentators" and posters who named "the big 4" without him are complete fools.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/rankings/championsrace/default.asp

Nadal_Freak
03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
That's because there are a lot of haters. Pathetic they let their bias get in the way of analyzing tennis.

MethodTennis
03-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I dont agree Roddick is in the top 4, I dont think Roddick at his best can win a slam....I do think Nadal, Fed, Murray, Djoko can...

Why wouldn't he try his best? In anycase beating Ferrer is a must if he wants to challenge Nadal as we know Ferrer is a least two levels below Nadal

your sayingthat on current form roddick would lose to djoko, did you wath aussi open QF roddick thrashed him and djoko gave in because of the heat. If he wants to play in asstralia ect. he eneeds to get fitter, you can't pull out just because you think your gonna lose and don't want to lose face. And as for the Nadal vs. Djoko god knows what that was about.

Top 4 for me Nadal Federer Murray and either roddick verdrasco based on Dubai, Menphis Ausstralian and Davis cup (athough murray didn't play in davis cup pulled out of Dubai and was put out by Verdasco in Ausstralia)

Nadal_Freak
03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
your sayingthat on current form roddick would lose to djoko, did you wath aussi open QF roddick thrashed him and djoko gave in because of the heat. If he wants to play in asstralia ect. he eneeds to get fitter, you can't pull out just because you think your gonna lose and don't want to lose face. And as for the Nadal vs. Djoko god knows what that was about.

Top 4 for me Nadal Federer Murray and either roddick verdrasco based on Dubai, Menphis Ausstralian and Davis cup (athough murray didn't play in davis cup pulled out of Dubai and was put out by Verdasco in Ausstralia)
So I guess Dubai and TMC never happened.

MethodTennis
03-08-2009, 12:49 PM
sorry last post was off topic. Don't write Djoko off yet there is a while for him to find form yet

MethodTennis
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
dont say im baised towards roddick if anything im baised towards murray as im scottish

gj011
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Yet another clueless hater :roll:. Take a look at this year's race again please. Also I should remind haters who won the TMC and DUBAI.

Djokovic was never trashed on AO by Roddick. Djokovic was trashing Roddick for a set and a half and than was beaten by the heat, not by Roddick. Any player in top 100 would win those last 2 and a half sets against Djokovic on that heat and that day. Djokovic was hardly able to move and Roddick didn't have to do anything. I am sick of people who don't even watch matches making comments and drawing conclusions based on their wishes.

MethodTennis
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Yet another clueless hater :roll:. Take a look at this year's race again please. Also I should remind haters who won the TMC.

Djokovic was never trashed on AO by Roddick. Djokovic was trashing Roddick for a set and a half and than was beaten by the heat, not by Roddick. Any player in top 100 would win those last 2 and a half sets against Djokovic on that heat and that day. Djokovic was hardly able to move and Roddick didn't have to do anything. I am sick of people who don't even watch matches making comments and drawing conclusions based on their wishes.

im not a hater, djoko is one of my fav players im just giving my opinion rather watch djoko win than fed or nadal

I hate how im not allowed to have opinions and have players who i prefer to see win because if i do im a hater

RoddickAce
03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Djokovic is, despite popular belief of his demise here, ranked 4th in this years race. So yet again those so called "commentators" and posters who named "the big 4" without him are complete fools.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/3/en/rankings/championsrace/default.asp

Its probably cuz Djokovic wasn't able to defend his AO title, so now they write him off as a one-slam wonder. These commentators ride the drift very easily...

julesb
03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I think that Novak will be a great chellenge to Rafa at RG.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JdFs87ua_1s/SA_9448vX3I/AAAAAAAAENw/SlTT8NH9_CQ/s400/idiot.gif

batz
03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
We can forget all about ANYONE challenging Nadal at RG.

Fedace
03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I think at this point, Roger is so scared, he just may skip the French open and go to Wimbledon, directly.

batz
03-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I think at this point, Roger is so scared, he just may skip the French open and go to Wimbledon, directly.

You really think so? I'd be astonished if Roger did that.

Gugafan
03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
You really think so? I'd be astonished if Roger did that.

He wont be....Federer is playing a limited claycourt schedule this year. He will only play in Rome and Madrid ahead of the French Open.

DMan
03-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Hmmm...the pathetic Djoker was beaten by the heat, and not Andy Roddick?!?!?!

Tell me, what is "heat" ranked on the ATP computer these days?

Pity poor Djoker, he was hardly able to move. Let's have a pity party for him. Was that due to the fact that he is, was, and always will be, PATHETICALLY out of shape?!

How many times has he bailed, quit, thrown in the twoel, said, 'no mas' while QUITTING, let me repeat that, QUIT during a big match in a major??????

Face it, Djoker can't handle the heat. And if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, and off the tennis court. Djoker could try needle point. Maybe he'll be good at that.

Nadal_Freak
03-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Hmmm...the pathetic Djoker was beaten by the heat, and not Andy Roddick?!?!?!

Tell me, what is "heat" ranked on the ATP computer these days?

Pity poor Djoker, he was hardly able to move. Let's have a pity party for him. Was that due to the fact that he is, was, and always will be, PATHETICALLY out of shape?!

How many times has he bailed, quit, thrown in the twoel, said, 'no mas' while QUITTING, let me repeat that, QUIT during a big match in a major??????

Face it, Djoker can't handle the heat. And if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, and off the tennis court. Djoker could try needle point. Maybe he'll be good at that.
Rarely do players have to deal with that kind of heat. Bad luck for Djokovic that day. At normal termperatures on the pro level, Djokovic beats Roddick. Simple as that.

egn
03-08-2009, 02:07 PM

They both played in the same heat therefore Roddick beat Djokovic even it was based on fitness and durability part of playing tennis is having stamina and outlasting your opponent. Roddick won the match stop complaining about the heat. It was not like Roddick is playing with an air conditioner blasting on him and Djokovic is standing in the Sahara desert. Roddick outplayed DJokovic because Roddick had the better fitness don't discredit Roddick for that and try to make DJokovic seem like the better man. It is a known fact when it gets tough Djokovic seems to bail out. Note all his GS retirements.

However on that note people underrate him immesnely cause of this. Djokovic does not retire every single last match. He has fought and he is doing it more often now-a-days. He is trying to shake his reputation of retiring in big matches I think, but he needs to get into more shape. I also do not really take the Davis Cup thing as a huge account for a few reasons.

1. Djokovic has not been playing on clay at all this year and Nadal is one of the greatest clay courters ever if not the greatest, so not in tune clay court Djokovic should get whopped by Nadal.

2. Djokovic actually played Dubai recently and has been playing basically hard court tennis, the "injured" Nadal did not play in Dubai and probably had some time to warm up for the event. If those think Nadal was not rehabbing on clay you have to be kidding me. Nadal was not going to let his guard be down and no offense I can't blame him. Nadal knows Djokovic is getting better on clay and can push him so Nadal being as prepared as he could was necessary.

3. Serbia was pretty much nailed in the coffin from the start, slow slow red clay, with the greatest clay courter ever and 4 time French Open champ against them.

Lets see DJokovic after he tunes up on clay, I don't say he wins Nadal but I think he could push him to 4 sets and hell if Nadal actually plays a bad game maybe he can strike, but lets be real here. Djokovic is the only guy besides Federer and Nadal to have won a slam since the 2005 Austrailan Open he is still in my eyes the third best player on the tour. Let Roddick, Murray and the whole other crew prove they can beat Federer or Nadal in a slam first and then go on to win. Murray had his chance and failed so give DJokovic his respect.

miniRafa386
03-08-2009, 02:11 PM
He wont be....Federer is playing a limited claycourt schedule this year. He will only play in Rome and Madrid ahead of the French Open.

is he really? that is probably the dumbest move you can do prior to the major he has still yet to win. if hes doing that because of his back, i can understand that, but in terms of preparation, dumb.

DMan
03-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Rarely do players have to deal with that kind of heat. Bad luck for Djokovic that day. At normal termperatures on the pro level, Djokovic beats Roddick. Simple as that.

It wasn't bad luck. It was poor training on Djoker's part. How come Andy Roddick didn't have a problem with the heat? How come other players didn't have a problem with the heat???

Was it hotter on Andy's side of the net?

Talent doesn't win you matches on the pro tour. There's something to be said for heart (and let's pause for a minute to note how absolutely PATHETIC it is for Djoker to constantly beat his chest primordially all the time when he wins a big point. It's incredibly obnoxious!!!!!!!!)
There's also something to be said for knowing how to train to be in shape, for working hard off the court. And oh, for NOT bailing at the slightest inconvenince (too hot), a little hang nail, or just not feeling it that day.
There's real talent in battling through adversity. Something the Djoker knows nothing about!

Gugafan
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
is he really? that is probably the dumbest move you can do prior to the major he has still yet to win. if hes doing that because of his back, i can understand that, but in terms of preparation, dumb.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3741298&source=**********lines

It's a bold move, but in the past Federers confidence has been dented coming into RG due to subsequent losses to Nadal in MS finals. I guess he wants to be fresher physically coming into RG.

miyagi
03-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I read the OP. My response was to your statement that his game isn't built for clay.

Well it isn't....whilst you showed me 2 examples of players that weren't that suited to clay yet made it to the final....I can show you 100 who didn't.....the odds are currently stacked against him....I do not believe Tsonga will go deep at Roland...and he will Not challenge Nadal...

gj011
03-08-2009, 02:54 PM
They both played in the same heat therefore Roddick beat Djokovic even it was based on fitness and durability part of playing tennis is having stamina and outlasting your opponent. Roddick won the match stop complaining about the heat. It was not like Roddick is playing with an air conditioner blasting on him and Djokovic is standing in the Sahara desert. Roddick outplayed DJokovic because Roddick had the better fitness don't discredit Roddick for that and try to make DJokovic seem like the better man. It is a known fact when it gets tough Djokovic seems to bail out. Note all his GS retirements.

However on that note people underrate him immesnely cause of this. Djokovic does not retire every single last match. He has fought and he is doing it more often now-a-days. He is trying to shake his reputation of retiring in big matches I think, but he needs to get into more shape. I also do not really take the Davis Cup thing as a huge account for a few reasons.

1. Djokovic has not been playing on clay at all this year and Nadal is one of the greatest clay courters ever if not the greatest, so not in tune clay court Djokovic should get whopped by Nadal.

2. Djokovic actually played Dubai recently and has been playing basically hard court tennis, the "injured" Nadal did not play in Dubai and probably had some time to warm up for the event. If those think Nadal was not rehabbing on clay you have to be kidding me. Nadal was not going to let his guard be down and no offense I can't blame him. Nadal knows Djokovic is getting better on clay and can push him so Nadal being as prepared as he could was necessary.

3. Serbia was pretty much nailed in the coffin from the start, slow slow red clay, with the greatest clay courter ever and 4 time French Open champ against them.

Lets see DJokovic after he tunes up on clay, I don't say he wins Nadal but I think he could push him to 4 sets and hell if Nadal actually plays a bad game maybe he can strike, but lets be real here. Djokovic is the only guy besides Federer and Nadal to have won a slam since the 2005 Austrailan Open he is still in my eyes the third best player on the tour. Let Roddick, Murray and the whole other crew prove they can beat Federer or Nadal in a slam first and then go on to win. Murray had his chance and failed so give DJokovic his respect.

I am going to complain every time someone says "Roddick trashed Djokovic on AO", because it is simply not true and it was clear to anyone who watched the match, not just looked at the score and made biased conclusions.
That was supposed to be a tennis match not an "extreme heat handling" match, where Roddick is better I will give you that. Heat affects people differently and statements that it was the same for Roddick are not relevant at all.
Kuznetsova was not affected by the heat same as Serena was in their match a day after, but they still closed the roof.
Anyway I agree with the rest of your comment.

Also I am not going to bother to answer to some other PATHETIC trolls.

veroniquem
03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
It wasn't bad luck. It was poor training on Djoker's part. How come Andy Roddick didn't have a problem with the heat? How come other players didn't have a problem with the heat???

Was it hotter on Andy's side of the net?

Talent doesn't win you matches on the pro tour. There's something to be said for heart (and let's pause for a minute to note how absolutely PATHETIC it is for Djoker to constantly beat his chest primordially all the time when he wins a big point. It's incredibly obnoxious!!!!!!!!)
There's also something to be said for knowing how to train to be in shape, for working hard off the court. And oh, for NOT bailing at the slightest inconvenince (too hot), a little hang nail, or just not feeling it that day.
There's real talent in battling through adversity. Something the Djoker knows nothing about!
You have to take into account that Novak has always had breathing problems (asthma?). That's something that maybe never affected Roddick or other players but could have played a part in Djoko's retirement at the AO.

veroniquem
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
He seems determined to play less this year and to value "freshness" above all else (also referring to his 100% comment). I still don't know if it's a good idea or not. We'll see how well he does in IW after more than a month out of the tour. To me competitive match practice is at least as important as freshness and training cannot really substitute for it but who knows? Maybe Fed is different, we'll see.

skraggle
03-08-2009, 03:24 PM
LOL yet another silly blanket statement. That is why he has 1 GS, 1 GS final and 5 GS SFs in a row.

Djokovic can't beat Nadal in 5 setter on clay, but nobody ever was able to do that. On other surfaces, especially on HCs he has a good chance.

Djokovic is a supreme talent, but he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself as much these days. I saw him practicing at Indian Wells a few years ago, and his love for the game and sense of humor was great to watch. I hope he gets some of his joy back...

edmondsm
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I am going to complain every time someone says "Roddick trashed Djokovic on AO", because it is simply not true and it was clear to anyone who watched the match, not just looked at the score and made biased conclusions.
That was supposed to be a tennis match not an "extreme heat handling" match, where Roddick is better I will give you that. Heat affects people differently and statements that it was the same for Roddick are not relevant at all.
Kuznetsova was not affected by the heat same as Serena was in their match a day after, but they still closed the roof.

Sometimes it is hot on the tennis court. If you can't handle it, and your opponent can, you lose. Half the top 100 could have beaten Novak that day, and that's his fault. You can't blame the Aussie Open for not closing the roof. We've been over this. The heat rule is what it is, and they followed it.

veroniquem
03-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Yes and Nadal will play even better at RG which is the best possible clay for his game, today he did a lot of UEs and still won in straights. I'm sure Djoko himself is aware his chances of beating Nadal at RG this year are almost non-existent.

RoddickAce
03-08-2009, 03:37 PM

What you say is true, but then again, can people really make excuses for federer saying that he lost to Nadal at wimbledon because of light? They both were in the dim light, but that wasn't a dim light handling match, where Nadal is better at?

Nadal_Freak
03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes and Nadal will play even better at RG which is the best possible clay for his game, today he did a lot of UEs and still won in straights. I'm sure Djoko himself is aware his chances of beating Nadal at RG this year are almost non-existent.
I agree. RG is slightly slower and better bouncing imo. Strange Spain picked such a fast clay court for Davis Cup. I guess they didn't have access to the best clay for Nadal's game.

Gorecki
03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree. RG is slightly slower and better bouncing imo. Strange Spain picked such a fast clay court for Davis Cup. I guess they didn't have access to the best clay for Nadal's game.

yeah, because Spanish Tennis federation couldnt afford to pick whatever they wanted... :rolleyes:

NamRanger
03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Sometimes it is hot on the tennis court. If you can't handle it, and your opponent can, you lose. Half the top 100 could have beaten Novak that day, and that's his fault. You can't blame the Aussie Open for not closing the roof. We've been over this. The heat rule is what it is, and they followed it.

Actually, I think Djokovic lost because he knew Roddick was going to play defensive for the most part, and he was already feeling the heat in the first set. Therefore, he went gung ho for shots that he normally would not have played. He gassed out fairly quickly because he was going for so much in the first.

I don't think half the top 100 could have beaten him, but probably most of the top 30 would have beaten him that day.

NamRanger
03-08-2009, 04:09 PM

That's why Roddick beat Djokovic at Dubai? Was it Sahara like conditions there too?

Nadal_Freak
03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah, because Spanish Tennis federation couldnt afford to pick whatever they wanted... :rolleyes:
They probably could afford anything. Having access to it is another story. They really need to get RG clay and pack it in better so less bad bounces. Then we'll see vintage Nadal. Of course you can't underestimate Nadal having 6 weeks of preparation for RG to why he plays so well there.

NamRanger
03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
They probably could afford anything. Having access to it is another story. They really need to get RG clay and pack it in better so less bad bounces. Then we'll see vintage Nadal. Of course you can't underestimate Nadal having 6 weeks of preparation for RG to why he plays so well there.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year or so, you would know that there's a global economic recession out there.

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Djokovi5c is massively underrated these days on this board.

Rafa is the best 5-set player on tour while Djokovic fades physically in many slam matches (even in the Australian Open Final v Tsonga he was fading and requiring the trainer continuously, and Tsonga would have won that 5th set if he got through the 4th set tie-breaker, it was very predictable) so Rafa would be grateful to get Djokovic in a semi rather than:
Murray

gj011
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM

Anybody is aware that their chances of beating Nadal on FO are almost nonexistent. I don't think today's match changed anything in that regard with Novak. He also didn't play his best and made a lots of unforced errors, was clearly not adjusted to clay and still was hanging there with Nadal for two and a half sets. After he lost those two games in the third where he first had 2 BPs and then 40-0 he gave up.

Also we should mention that clay in Benidorm was pretty bad, even Nadal was annoyed several times with bad bounces.

thalivest
03-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Rafa is the best 5-set player on tour while Djokovic fades physically in many slam matches (even in the Australian Open Final v Tsonga he was fading and requiring the trainer continuously, and Tsonga would have won that 5th set if he got through the 4th set tie-breaker, it was very predictable) so Rafa would be grateful to get Djokovic in a semi rather than:
Murray

A good accessment. Nadal isnt easy to beat these days anywhere on any surface. However he is far more vurnerable in a best 2-of-3 than a best 3-of-5. This goes for all surfaces, even clay (albeit still almost unbeatable even there) and certainly hard courts (granted still tough to beat). In a best 3-of-5 set match he becomes much harder to beat, even on hard courts.

gj011
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Murray

Djokovic didn't continuously need trainer in the AO final against Tsonga, you must have been watching some other match. Also there is no way to say who would win the 5th set. Go back and watch 2007 Wimbledon QF Djokovic-Baghdatis and you will see why. Djokovic, again contrary to popular belief, have a quite good 5th set record.

THERAFA
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Djokovic definitely was getting treatment in the 4th set of the AO Final and was looking very weak, cos I remember thinking to myself 'Tsonga just has to survive this 4th set and he's home'....and doesn't Djokovic hold the tour record for:
Forfeits?

NandoMania
03-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Djokovic definitely was getting treatment in the 4th set of the AO Final and was looking very weak, cos I remember thinking to myself 'Tsonga just has to survive this 4th set and he's home'....and doesn't Djokovic hold the tour record for:
Forfeits?

If someone wants to mention that kind of record,
then that person should be able to prove it.

egn
03-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Djokovic didn't continuously need trainer in the AO final against Tsonga, you must have been watching some other match. Also there is no way to say who would win the 5th set. Go back and watch 2007 Wimbledon QF Djokovic-Baghdatis and you will see why. Djokovic, again contrary to popular belief, have a quite good 5th set record.

Yes Novak is 8-2 in five sets. If Novak is on a good day he makes it all 5 sets I would actually favor Novak if he lets it go 5. Novak would not let it go 5 unless he is playing a good game. Most towel thrown ins from Novak probably come earlier than that

2006 Fo was end of 2 sets.
2007 wimby was in the 3rd set
2009 Ao was in the 4th set.

Novak does not wait to set 5 to throw it out. If he gets there he plays there.