kirbster123
03-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi guys,

Tell me what you think of my college tennis video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOyz3Pe1HE

Thanks!

ihearit1st
03-07-2009, 07:31 AM
looks great. you should get some good offers. good luck!

ryangoring
03-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Love the backhand!!
Nice form and follow thru.

Eph
03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Only watched the first minute: they'll want to see where the ball is going.

SaunderS
03-07-2009, 08:19 AM
watch the rest then lazy ***.

Eph
03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
No need for profanity.

You only have a few minutes to attract the attention of coaches. Why waste 40 seconds of the first minute showing them nicely hit balls that you can only guess where they end up?

J011yroger
03-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Camera work is rough dude, it really distracts from being able to watch the tennis and focus on it.

I mean, you are going to submit this to a coach for review right?

Do you know anyone you can borrow a tripod from?

Also, do you have the ability to hit low volleys and half volleys?

If so, back on up to the T and sneak some of them into the vid.

When I practice volleys I like to hit all different kinds, especially the difficult ones.

http://vimeo.com/3515029

That is a video of hitting volleys from last nights practice session.

Nothing spectacular, but you get the idea.

J

egn
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
camera work is awful, you look like you have good shots, but a lot of the angles did not allow us to see where the ball is going. Though must obviously are in it would be nice to see where they land.

maverick66
03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
your feet are lazy especially on your volleys. you were very casual with your vollyingg and college coaches are gonna hate that seems you will be expected to play dubs.

jerryhoyo
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
whoa. that place looks exactly like a club that isnt far from me. Is that twin oaks in morristown, nj?
and nice strokes btw. just play some more tournaments cause i don't seem to see you on tennisrecruiting.

ClarkC
03-09-2009, 06:30 AM
whoa. that place looks exactly like a club that isnt far from me. Is that twin oaks in morristown, nj?
and nice strokes btw. just play some more tournaments cause i don't seem to see you on tennisrecruiting.

You will notice the location on his post says Ontario, Canada. That also makes it harder to get on tennisrecruiting.net, which uses mostly USTA and American ITF tournaments.

bluescreen
03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
from what ive seen from the video, u'll definately get offers from d III schools, but they dont offer scholarships. as for d I, u might get offers from smaller ones, but dont expect to get offered a full ride.

with luck, u should be able to get into a small d I school with partial scholarship.

good luck.

Vik
03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
The video starts too slow. Such a moonball warmup for the first few minutes, I thought the video was in slow motion. I didn't think you were very strong until the last 2 minutes of match play.

Cut out some of the video with your hitting partner hitting rainbows to you, IMO. And as noted by others, the volley portion offers very little as to ability. But maybe that is by design.

What kind of schools are you looking for?

3lowdown
03-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Im going to be honest i hate watching these videos with fed balls over and over again.

alb1
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
The video just shows you have decent form hitting slow balls from the middle of the court. Do a video of actual match play. Seeing you perform under pressure is more important to a coach. A lot of guys look smooth in warm ups, but that doesn't mean they are smooth under pressure, can cover the court, or set up points.

emerckx53
03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow....I sure hope some of you who commented that he was just "decent" have got enough game to make those comments.. I haven't seen a backhand like that in a while..

tenniko
03-22-2009, 08:03 PM
The video just shows you have decent form hitting slow balls from the middle of the court. Do a video of actual match play. Seeing you perform under pressure is more important to a coach. A lot of guys look smooth in warm ups, but that doesn't mean they are smooth under pressure, can cover the court, or set up points.

Agreed. Video from actual tournament or highschool matches would be better indicator. I know a friend of mine who hits like 5.5 during warm ups but somehow plays like a low 4.0 during matches...

dwhiteside
03-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Maybe watch the whole thing before making comments like this, as there are points in it during the latter fourth.

alb1
03-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Ok point taken. I'm not a college coach so I don't know how many videos they get and how much time they spend watching. I compared this video to 2 other college recruiting videos on youtube. The others showed less practice, got to the match play sooner and kept my interest better. However if I was a coach, depending on the school, your junior ranking and tournament results would determine whether I watch a little or a lot of any video.

Tennis_Wiz
03-24-2009, 09:19 PM
hey kirbster

Was that video shot at Town and country tennis club in bc???It looked really simaliar and btw awesome one handed backhand...could have had more movement footwork wise!

zapvor
03-27-2009, 04:59 AM
from what a div1 coach told me videos arent all that important. what counts is your match record. so i would worry more about winning matches

Fedace
03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Gasquet backhand

kirbster123
05-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Im going to D1!

J011yroger
05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Im going to D1!

Congrats.

You owe me 1 miller lite as repayment for my help to you over the past year. :)

J

35ft6
05-14-2009, 10:59 PM
- I would reshoot the beginning where you're introducing yourself. No need to have you talking in a noisy tennis bubble if you're not using a mic.

- A title slate with your Name, Age, GPA, tennis rankings, best results, etc, might be good.

- The angle you're shooting this is really bad. Not only do we not get a good look at you, we don't see where the ball lands. So you might as well do a closer shot from the side at this point. Another option if you in the foreground, instead of your hitting partner, and shooting from a lower angle.

- Okay, later I see you're in the foreground. Good that you're showing points. From coaches I've talked to, that's what they care about the most, seeing you play an actual match in its entirety if possible. In this case, you guys just played out a point, so it's different. In a real tournament match, they can see how you're doing against somebody who wants to beat you and don't even care if you don't win a game.

But maybe I'm being picky. I get a sense of your game. Make sure you choose a school where you can play. Good luck. I envy you, college tennis years were the best.

tennismom42
05-16-2009, 07:17 AM
View this great article by Annette Broersma on TRN. It was posted this week. It describes how to do a video and when.

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=733

bad_call
05-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Im going to D1!

congrats. what college is that?

Kokopelli
05-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Im going to D1!

Nice! What school?