PDA

View Full Version : What are some good DII schools and what would I have to do to get in?

Ballinbob
03-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey everyone

I'm 15 years old and just have some questions on college tennis

1. Would a 5.0 NTRP get me into a good Division II school for tennis?
2. What are some good DII schools here in America?
3. What do colleges look at when recruiting people? Is the best thing for me to do is play tournaments and do well in them?

That's pretty much what I want to know, so hopefully I can get some answers here

OH, and another question, is Boise state a DI or DII school for tennis?

Thanks so much guys~!

Jim A
03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
google is your friend -
http://www.collegetennisonline.com/
http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/d2/mten.html

Ballinbob
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
thanks so much Jim, that really helped!

Good sites

SlapShot
03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
A 5.0Ntrp would likely put you at DI level. I think that you are underestimating that level. That being said, if you focus for the next 2-3 years, you should have an opportunity to play collegiately, but don't select your school based on whether the program is D2 or D3. The academics are without a doubt the most important part, and there is a ton of overlap between the top D3 programs and less strong D2 programs.

Ballinbob
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Alright thanks Slapshot. I am definitley focusing on academics too (3.5GPA), but I'm kinda looking into colleges already so was looking for some more info..

ClarkC
03-09-2009, 07:25 AM
NTRP ratings are completely worthless for these college discussions. I cannot believe how often they come up.

Play USTA tournaments. Get highly ranked. Get a rating on tennisrecruiting.net, then see how you compare to previous recruits of colleges you are interested in. Forget NTRP.

Ballinbob
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
thanks for clearing that up Clark, I had no idea lol

And sounds like a plan, I'll just keep playing USTA tournaments and I'll see where I end up in a couple years

junbug
03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
NTRP ratings can serve as a guideline for potential college players so that can kind of gauge themselves as to where they are at. there is no such thing as it being worthless. every tool available at your disposal should and can be used to your advantage or can be used as a measuring stick. no matter how dumb it may be.

NickC
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey everyone

I'm 15 years old and just have some questions on college tennis

1. Would a 5.0 NTRP get me into a good Division II school for tennis?

A player whose skills would be considered a 5.0 level or above should be playing at a D-I school.

2. What are some good DII schools here in America?

As far as I know, the only country that has divisional rankings for collegiate athletics is the United States.

3. What do colleges look at when recruiting people? Is the best thing for me to do is play tournaments and do well in them?

For tennis alone, it's generally a mix of USTA results, High School match results and records, and stuff like that.

OH, and another question, is Boise state a DI or DII school for tennis?

It's one of the best D-I programs in the country.

NTRP ratings can serve as a guideline for potential college players so that can kind of gauge themselves

NTRP ratings are to group adult league and tournament players by ability. Juniors have rankings and different levels of tournaments.

Vik
03-12-2009, 05:46 AM
A player whose skills would be considered a 5.0 level or above should be playing at a D-I school.

False!
There are tons of 5.0 level players in D2 and even D3. At many ranked D2 schools nearly the entire roster would be made up of 5.0 level guys.

ClarkC
03-12-2009, 09:19 AM
NTRP ratings can serve as a guideline for potential college players so that can kind of gauge themselves as to where they are at. there is no such thing as it being worthless. every tool available at your disposal should and can be used to your advantage or can be used as a measuring stick. no matter how dumb it may be.

OK, let's test that theory by looking at the nice, clear discussion of NTRP ratings that followed. :)

NTRP ratings are to group adult league and tournament players by ability. Juniors have rankings and different levels of tournaments.

False!
There are tons of 5.0 level players in D2 and even D3. At many ranked D2 schools nearly the entire roster would be made up of 5.0 level guys.

Now, let's compare that clarity to my suggestion that you get USTA and tennisrecruiting.net rankings and compare to players who actually play for the schools you are considering.

For example, at my local college (Virginia) a 5-star recruit has difficulty getting into the lineup. The starting lineup is entirely blue chip recruits and foreign recruits who are at blue chip level. If you contacted the coach and said, "Everyone says I am a 5.5 on the NTRP scale, but I have not played USTA tournaments so I have no USTA or tennisrecruiting.net rankings to speak of," then you would immediately be told to play tournaments to prove that your supposed NTRP rating is valid.

There is also the danger that you can deceive yourself with your self-rating (or your supposed NTRP rating as others rate you). If your USTA and tennisrecruiting.net rankings do NOT compare well to the players who are actually getting playing time, but you decide that your NTRP rating means you can walk on and earn playing time, you could be making a big mistake and going to the wrong program.

That is why I said NTRP was worthless. Posters in this forum constantly overrate themselves, and seem to be involved in self-deception as to what colleges they would qualify to play at. USTA and tennisrecruiting.net rankings are rather cold, hard, and realistic. They don't permit self-deception. Being deceived makes a rating WORSE than worthless. It is a liability.

I have been around top juniors in my state, and NONE of them ever talks about NTRP. Yet they all know their USTA and tennisrecruiting.net rankings by rote. This makes me even more suspicious of all the posters in this forum who come on here talking about NTRP but have all kinds of reasons why they don't have a particularly good USTA or tennisrecruiting.net ranking. It means they really are not on the college tennis track. NTRP is misleading them.

Perhaps those who disagree can cite all the college coaches who care about NTRP ratings and offer scholarships on that basis.

rasajadad
03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
False!

Also, the top D-III schools are 5.0 and higher.

Vik
03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Clark speaks the truth. I was only pointing out the fallacy of Nicks post.

My post about 5.0 level college players is based purely on my prior college experience in comparison to my current NTRP play.
It is worthless for juniors to try to stick a NTRP rating to their play. It's more about who you've shown you can beat in junior play.

Now if you really want to get an idea of how your game translates to NTRP, just go play a legit 5.0 rated ADULT and see how far away your game is. But don't think any coach will care if you say "I'm 5.0 level b/c I was hung with a guy that is 5.0 rated"

Ballinbob
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
thanks so much guys, really interesting discussion on NTRP. I never knew that. It seems though the best thing to do is to prove myself through tournaments, so thats what Im going to do. I have a tournament Sunday, and hopefully I'll do good in that

So do you guys recommend me making a tennisrecruiting.net account then? would that help me in deciding for a college to go too?