PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 09 seeding

lucknowrocks
03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
I know it's way too early to talk about Wimby this year, but, a friend and I were discussing tennis the other day and the seeding process came up. Andy Roddick and his ludicrous 2nd seed for two or three years running got me thinking about who will be the number one seed this year. I said Fed since he owned sw19 for 5 years, my buddy said Nadal since he's currently number one and the defending champ. We ended up betting a six pack on this. What do you guys think?

Zaragoza
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Nadal is the no.1 by far and the current Wimbledon champion. There's no doubt.

tennis_hand
03-08-2009, 07:55 AM
now they are following ATP ranking. Debate over.

Andres
03-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Nadal, no doubt about it.
His 12 months grass record is Queen's champ and Wimbledon champ; plus a runner-up two years ago.

oranges
03-08-2009, 08:33 AM
now they are following ATP ranking. Debate over.

Where did you get that info. AFAIK, it's still the same combination of ATP ranking and grass record over past two years. It shouldn't affect the top 2 seeds, but lower than that, there are likely to be differences from regular ranking.

Lotto
03-08-2009, 08:48 AM
If it's a combination of ranking and 2 years on grass then it's a toughy.

Nadal - No.1 in world
Federer - No.2 in world

Nadal:

-Wimbledon Runner Cup 2007
-Queen's Quarter Finalist
-Wimbledon Winner 2008
-Queen's Winner 2008

Federer:

-Wimbledon Winner 2007
-Halle Winner 2008
-Wimbledon Runner Up 2008

It SHOULD be Nadal but you never know.

You never know what could happen, Federer could go on and regain the World No.1 ranking by winning 3 masters series and the french?! The chances are like 0.00000000000000000000001% but it could still happen.

We should just wait till Wimbledon to find out. It's likely going to be Nadal-Federer final again seen as Fed is looking to get back on the winning road by teaming with Cahill and Nadal is in the form of his life so........

roddickfan90
03-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I know it's way too early to talk about Wimby this year, but, a friend and I were discussing tennis the other day and the seeding process came up. Andy Roddick and his ludicrous 2nd seed for two or three years running got me thinking about who will be the number one seed this year. I said Fed since he owned sw19 for 5 years, my buddy said Nadal since he's currently number one and the defending champ. We ended up betting a six pack on this. What do you guys think?

thats not ludicrous...hes made a semi and 2 finals.

egn
03-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Roddick in 03, 04 and 05 won Queens Club and made the semifinals and finals twice. From 03-05 he was the second best grass courter he deserved the two seed. It is nice that Wimbledon actually pays attention to performance on the surface when it goes into ranking. I wish other slams would do that, like Roddick should have always been seeded lower at France as he never performed there.

gj011
03-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Buy your friend a sixpack, since you lost the bet.
There is a formula used to determine Wimbledon seedings and it uses current ranking points plus points from grass court tournaments in the last two years multiplied buy some factor (earlier year counts less). If you dig through old threads you can find it.

Anyway, since Nadal has wins in Wimbledon and Queens last year he will certainly be a #1 seed in a likely case that he is still ranked #1 in June.
Even if Nadal, in some crazy scenario, drops to #2 with small margin of points, he might still be seeded #1 at Wimbledon due to his last year's grass points.

batz
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Wimbledon rankings are computed as follows:

1. Take current ranking points

2. Add 100% of all grass points won in the last 12 months

3. Add 75% of grass points won in the 12 months of the previous year

egn
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Buy your friend a sixpack, since you lost the bet.
There is a formula used to determine Wimbledon seedings and it uses current ranking points plus points from grass court tournaments in the last two years multiplied buy some factor (earlier year counts less). If you dig through old threads you can find it.

Anyway, since Nadal has wins in Wimbledon and Queens last year he will certainly be a #1 seed in a likely case that he is still ranked #1 in June.
Even if Nadal, in some crazy scenario, drops to #2 with small margin of points, he might still be seeded #1 at Wimbledon due to his last year's grass points.

Well I think there is some crazy factor that if Nadal loses number 1

Nadal gets 2000 for wimby and it is 187. 5 for queens last year
Federer gets 1400 for wimby and 187.5 for halle last year I think thats how it works

So if Nadal misses queens or exits early on only gets 5 and fed wins halle and gets 250. Federer gets 1837.5 points and Nadal gets 2187.5 or 2192. 5 so if Fed passes Nadal by more than 355 points he can get the #1 seed. However what are the odds? I think that is right though I could be wrong but thats what it seems like from the formula. Though that is the new value of Halle and Queens are they using the old value in which case how much were they worth on the old system or were they 250 still. I think they might have been either 225 or 175 or 200 I am not sure.

I love figuring out ridiculous scenarios. So Fed needs to gain some 2000 odd points and Nadal has to lose some 2000 odd points.

batz
03-08-2009, 01:33 PM
It doesn't really matter if Rafa or Roger are seeded 1 or 2, the outcome is the same: they can't meet each other until the final.

egn
03-08-2009, 01:48 PM
It doesn't really matter if Rafa or Roger are seeded 1 or 2, the outcome is the same: they can't meet each other until the final.

Yep and since 3 and 4 are drawn randomly and neither Murray or Djokovic can probably beat either on grass I don't think they have anything to worry about. Their rematch seems destined, but anything can happen. Like the Gasquet revival lol.

tennis_hand
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Where did you get that info. AFAIK, it's still the same combination of ATP ranking and grass record over past two years. It shouldn't affect the top 2 seeds, but lower than that, there are likely to be differences from regular ranking.

I read it in some article before last year's wimbledon.

and even if it isn't, it doesn't matter between no 1 and no 2. it's the same.

veroniquem
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't care what their system is, I would find it extremely offensive if they demoted the current #1 and Wimbledon title holder for any frigging reason. If Federer recovers #1 before Wimbledon, then it's a different situation but how likely is that to happen?

rubberduckies
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Somebody made an identical thread a couple weeks ago, and I did the numbers for the Wimbledon entry system and will not do it again.

Wimbledon entry = ATP entry + grass bonus points (last 2 years)

Nadal will have more of those grass bonus points than Fed.
The Wimbledon system favors Nadal over Fed.
Fed could retake the #1 but still be seeded 2nd at Wimby if the gap between him and Nadal is small enough.
There is nothing subjective about the Wimbledon entry system as far as the men are concerned.

edmondsm
03-08-2009, 11:58 PM

You just lost a six-pack. Andy Roddick got a 2nd seed two years. In 2004 he was the #2 player in the world, if you think that is ludicrous then you are beyond hope. In 2005 he got seeded 2nd because he had been in the final the year before and he had defended his Queens title many times. Totally justifiable seeding. Why are you placing bets when you appear to know very little about this. Stay away from Vegas.

Joseph L. Barrow
03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I know it's way too early to talk about Wimby this year, but, a friend and I were discussing tennis the other day and the seeding process came up. Andy Roddick and his ludicrous 2nd seed for two or three years running got me thinking about who will be the number one seed this year.
How was it ludicrous? He lived up to his seeding and made the finals, did he not? He was the second best player at the tournament, easily.

I said Fed since he owned sw19 for 5 years, my buddy said Nadal since he's currently number one and the defending champ. We ended up betting a six pack on this. What do you guys think?
Nadal being #1 seed for Wimbledon this year should be pretty much a given, unless he absolutely falls apart, something like missing half the clay court season due to injuries.