PDA

View Full Version : Tennis needs a new good rivalry

Oscar
03-04-2005, 09:32 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and remembered tennis in late 70s with Borg-McEnroe rivalry or Lendl-McEnroe in 80s. I mean, I missed the big good rivalries in tennis, it is good for sport and for the game of tennis. Right now the game is a little boring with such Federer dominance. I love Federerīs game but the sport would be more interesting with some player who can give Federer a really good rivalry, maybe Safin or Nadal, i donīt know, whoever. Do you think that could be possible nowadays?

davey25
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Anybody that says mens tennis is too boring because Federer is too dominant probably does not like and wants him to never win, since when you think about he is not that dominant. In the last 4 years, Hewitt has ended the year #1 twice, Roddick once, and Federer once. So somebody has been year-end #1 twice as many times, and somebody over a year younger did it before he did. Furthermore he has not won the one slam played this year, somebody else has. So he, up to now, been only the best player one out of the last five years and he is so dominant it is boring. Again obviously somebody who cant stand him and finds him winning any big titles torturesome since the "too dominant" argument does not fly for him of yet.

Oscar
03-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Of course i want Federer to win as much as i want a really good competition. My point is: All the sports have been great when there are great rivalries and tennis needs a really one for the upcoming years.

davey25
03-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Safin and Federer have had very close matches the last two times they played. Federer needed a 20-18 tiebreaker to end a straight set win over Safin in the year-end Masters, and Safin beat Federer in the Australian Open semis denying him winning a slam title. So they already have a rivalry even if Federer wins 2 more slams and ends the year #1 again. I know how it works though, when it is Federer he needs to lose 5 in a row to somebody for it to be a satisfactory rivalry, when it is Serena or Venus they need to be taken to an occasional 6-3 set for it to be considered a good enough rivalry to please viewers.

WW Volley
03-04-2005, 02:27 PM
If Safin can keep his game to a high level for years, then we can assume him and Federer will be meeting a lot in big matches.

davey25
03-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I wouldnt mind that at all. I like both of them, I prefer Roger but I also like Marat. I was happy he won the Aussie Open after losing two finals there, it is the one he deserved to win most given his tough luck there. If they meet in finals atleast it ensures Roddick or Hewitt will be the champion which is to the satisfaction of most I am sure. :p

Kobble
03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Safin and Federer are a great match-up. Now, an American and Federer rivalry is another story. I know I am stating the obvious, but the best talent is not on our soil right now. As far as young guns go, I have to say Nadal and Ancic are going to carry the torch. Actually, they are already producing against the best players.

voltman
03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
How about Serena versus the ball?

USCfan
03-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Maybe we'll see Nadal and Monfils in a couple years... that would be interesting.

spinbalz
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
If Safin can keep his Australian open mindset... but given Safin's match tanking history, it is a BIG IF !!!

Gaurav Singh
03-05-2005, 04:18 AM
i think Safin will cherish every match he plays against federer from now on and vice versa........its a blockbuster..........millions will be watching..........safin beat him in AO......that hurt Federer........the next time they play its gonna be big......the whole tennis world will halt to watch the 2 of the games greatest talents battling..... BOTH WILL RISE TO THE OCCASION AND U'LL SEE DA BEST OF DEM BOTH.....A RIVALRY HAS STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!

pound cat
03-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Safin will have to get over his "I really only bother playing my best when I'm playing someone who's really good'' mentaility, stop being knocked out of early rounds, and make sure he gets far in every tournament and has a chance to play Federer. Now that he's got some confidence in his ability, thanks to Lundgren, if/when he gets to Federer he should be able to beat him half the time.

aj_m2009
03-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Anybody that says mens tennis is too boring because Federer is too dominant probably does not like and wants him to never win

That isn't true. IMO it just gets to a point where someone is so dominant in a certain period of time that it gets boring. Look at Venus and Serena in '02. Mary Carillo was always talking about how people were getting tired of seeing them in slam finals. And it even got that way with me and I am a pretty big fan of both Venus and Serena. Now back to the topic, I think a Nadal-Coria rivalry would be cool or two serve-and-volleyers like Henman and Dent or something to that effect.

davey25
03-05-2005, 08:44 AM
That isn't true. IMO it just gets to a point where someone is so dominant in a certain period of time that it gets boring. Look at Venus and Serena in '02. Mary Carillo was always talking about how people were getting tired of seeing them in slam finals. And it even got that way with me and I am a pretty big fan of both Venus and Serena. Now back to the topic, I think a Nadal-Coria rivalry would be cool or two serve-and-volleyers like Henman and Dent or something to that effect.

Yeah but then you are talking about rivalries that obviously are not for the #1 spot. Nadal, Coria, and Henman have outside chancers at being top-5ers this year but no way is there one of those fighting for #1 this year. Dent is even beneath that is his prospects.

aj_m2009
03-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Yeah but then you are talking about rivalries that obviously are not for the #1 spot. Nadal, Coria, and Henman have outside chancers at being top-5ers this year but no way is there one of those fighting for #1 this year. Dent is even beneath that is his prospects.

I didn't realize that the rivalries had to be for the no. 1 spot.

davey25
03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I didn't realize that the rivalries had to be for the no. 1 spot.

Good than Roger doesnt need a rival for the #1. :) There just needs to be alot of good rivalries for other spots.

Haka Boy
03-05-2005, 05:27 PM
How about Serena versus the ball?

Is that HER balls or the ones that you bounce around using a tennis racket.

Kaptain Karl
03-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Part of what makes rivalries of the past so captivating is the clash of differing styles of play. The only "style" I can see giving Roger trouble is S/V ... only nobody's near enough to the top who plays that style (yet).

Connors thought of Borg as "another topspinner."

Borg, the baseliner -vs- Mac the attacker.

Sampras' power -vs- Agassi's needle-threading passes.

Hingis' artistry -vs- Williams' power.

... It's the differences which add to the intrigue.

- KK