PDA

View Full Version : New frame

I3_
03-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi guys. I'm using a KBlade 98 and I used to play with Radical LM before. Playing with KBlade was like a dream, but now it's probably over. I don't know why. It just doesn't suit me as well as before (I have had since June). I have Radical MG MP and Fischer M Pro No1 too. I can't stand radical's sweetspot (small, TOO SMALL) and Fischer is fine but it's not a real number one for me. I'm an allcourter who likes to play aggresively, including playing (many) volleys, who needs some spin definitely. I play 2HBH. Level of my game is 4.0 (or close). Please ask if you want to know something more what would help you to help me. I am thinking about Radical MG Pro, nBlade, KPro Tour or some Yonex maybe?

Cheers

furyoku_tennis
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
the honeymoon with the kb98 probably ended. what was it about the kb98 that hooked you in the first place and why do you think it doesn't suit you as well anymore?

brownie808
03-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I am actually in the same position as you. I have 2 kblade 98's that i had since a year ago and im just not feeling comfortable with it. I'm gonna start demoing racquets, and i suggest you demo racquets before you buy them.

I didn't demo the k98 before i bought them, and im guessing you didn't demo it either, right?

bertrevert
03-08-2009, 03:05 PM
"The usual Sus-specs"

There's more to a frame than the usual ---specs...

I've actually spent some time with the k98 too, on paper, it seemed like the right thing beyond the LM Rad.

Ugh, I'm back with the LM Rad right now.

The LM Rad used to get trashed on these boards. But you go look at the Feedback page to the LM Rad (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=LMRAD) and the real world says something very different...

The MG Rad MP is a very different beast and not very satisfactory as a replacement either. Light, small ss. too whippy.

So I'm right with you.

You know I reckon broaden your research here.

I've started consulting the TW power tool and so on, as a way of understanding a bit more about these frames or what made the LM Rad good for my game.

To replace my LM Rad I've tried:

RDS 001 MP
KB98
KBT93
MG Rad MP
Pure Storm

PS. these are great frames aren't they, but just cannot find the same blend.
pps. Of course I work on all other aspects of my game, fitness being key.........

I3_
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Brownie you're wrong. I had tested KBlade before buying. And then it was brilliant. Month later I bought another one. Furyoku, I really don't know what happend. Playing with it is just not the same as before. What do you think about frames i have meant?

NoNameZ
03-08-2009, 03:51 PM
have you tried restringing? maybe tension drop, or they need changing? It's that or like Furyoku said, honeymoon's over

bertrevert
03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Also, gotta ask, why not stick with teh LM Rad?

ESP#1
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I say its the strings, or maybe its just something that you are doing wrong and your blaming the racquet

I3_
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I have different strings on them (I have two racquets) and I'm not sure if it is about the strings. It's hard for me to get Radical LM in Poland and I don't have mine now and I won't have. My game from a technic aspect is OK. It's probably what was written - the honeymoon is over.

NoNameZ
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
you could try to tweak your racket a bit. different dampeners, lead tape, new strings? it makes a world of differences

matchmaker
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi guys. I'm using a KBlade 98 and I used to play with Radical LM before. Playing with KBlade was like a dream, but now it's probably over. I don't know why. It just doesn't suit me as well as before (I have had since June). I have Radical MG MP and Fischer M Pro No1 too. I can't stand radical's sweetspot (small, TOO SMALL) and Fischer is fine but it's not a real number one for me. I'm an allcourter who likes to play aggresively, including playing (many) volleys, who needs some spin definitely. I play 2HBH. Level of my game is 4.0 (or close). Please ask if you want to know something more what would help you to help me. I am thinking about Radical MG Pro, nBlade, KPro Tour or some Yonex maybe?

Cheers

I would suggest you try to up your game with the racquets you have. They all seem more or less in the same group of specs, so unless you opt for a heavier frame, with more swingweight or a smaller or larger head, I think it won't change a lot.

Just work on your game. Switching racquets the whole time won't make you improve.

I have played with lots of the type of racquets in your spec list and they all play more or less the same.

Actually over all the racquets you mention, and though I am a midsize player, I would prefer the Prince Original Classic Oversize. Now, that is a good no-nonsense racquet, it does not even feel like an oversize in play.

bertrevert
03-08-2009, 05:30 PM
For one thing the KB98 doesn't serve like the LM Rad - so if that stroke was important to your game you can kiss it goodbye...

Steve Huff
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
My opinion: the KBlade is a very good overall, allcourt racket. So, it felt very good as you played with it. But, as you got back to relying on your strengths and trying to avoid you weaknesses, you're probably finding the KBlade does not have a lot of strengths, other than being a good, allaround frame. So, it's not complimenting your strengths like some other rackets do, or did.

fuzz nation
03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
I grew up a serve and volleyer and in my adult years, I've made a significant effort to expand my skill-set to become a better all-court player. If I'm at net, I feel almost helpless if I'm using a frame that isn't heavy enough for me (extra emphasis on for me), but some of those volleying beasts can have too much pop to deliver ample control at the baseline... for me.

One racquet that I've tried on a couple of outings seems to deliver quite well in every phase of the game for an all-courter like myself - that's the Prince Hybrid Tour. Maybe the most "under the radar" frame from that entire O3 line. I was immediately confident with this racquet up at net, but I could also produce good, consistent strokes from the baseline with it, too.

If you want any other racquets to look into, I'd also recommend that you read up on the Yonex RDS 002 Tour and the Donnay Pro One mp from TW. That Donnay is an absolute control monster and the Yonex is exceptional for crashing the net. Haven't tried any of Head's MG's, but that Radical Pro looks like it's worth a demo. I've had a few of the old ProStaff 6.1 Classics for well over a decade and the 6.1/six-one line from Wilson has always been a strong option for an all-court player, too.

I3_
03-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi again, sorry for a long break. So here we go...

Matchmaker, it's not about switching racquets, it's not about changing it for harder one, it's about that's not just the same anymore.

Bertrevert, imo serving with KB is better than with Radical LM.

Steve Huff, you're wrong. I don't avoid any aspect of tennis.

I have changed strings and... nothing. I'm considering 3 racquets - MG Radical Pro, MG Prestige MP and KPro Tour. Due to tennis.com's racquet finder they have low swingweights (mainly prestige, wilson). Wilson is the lightest one and Radical Pro has the biggest sweetspot due to power zone from one TW's topic, KPro Tour has the smallest. I'm only able to test Prestige, but I don't know even clearly if it is possible. Description of myself is above.

Hope you'll help

Dorfs
03-21-2009, 04:21 PM
The Head MG radical mid+ is an amazing racquet.I never had problems with it (except that they break so easy)
The wilson K blade 98 is amazing as well.It has a bit more power than the radical mid plus and is a bit more heavier as well, about 10 gr.
I guess it is a mental thing.The racquet is as good as before, except you strung it wrong, with bad weight or it got deformed becuase of bad treating or bad stringing.Normally people should change racquets every 8 month, because the racquets get deformed by stringing or throwing or are already broken inside.It makes a big difference to play a new racquet also because it makes you so happy.When I take out new sticks I feel really good, I am just happy and think, wow this racquet is amazing, even if I already played with the same model for one year.
I am not saying buy a new one, just take your stick and think positive about it.
Tennis racquets are amazing and the wilson K blade 98 is one of the most beautiful racquets I have ever seen.And it plays amazing.I was able to demo it (only once) but the feel was amazing.

If you really want to change to another one, demo them and reply here what you think about them

good luck m8

I3_
04-13-2009, 05:07 AM
OK. Here we go again. Description of myself is above as I'd written. I can only add I'm over 170 cm and weights near 80 kg. And there is a final list:

- Head MG Instinct
- Head MG/FXP Prestige Team
- Kneissl Red Star
- wait for Dunlop 4d 300 tour
- wait for new Radical
- buy another M Speed Pro No 1 - sucks while serving
- back to Radical LM - not enough topspin

I'm not able to buy lighter PB 10 in my country. I thought about new Prestiges (MP/Pro) again, but they can be too demanding for me. I'm real 3.5-4.0 player (not American).

I3_
04-13-2009, 05:56 AM
And can lead help kpro tour on serves? Because it is completelty underpowered on serves I'd read.

mawashi
04-13-2009, 06:07 AM
And can lead help kpro tour on serves? Because it is completelty underpowered on serves I'd read.

Not really as you can't over come certain weakness with just lead but this talk about it being under powered is really strange cus friends who have tried out the KPro T haven't said it doesn't serve well.

mawashi

NeverGassed1212
04-14-2009, 09:22 AM
If you are looking for more topspin give the MG radical pro a try. I really liked the feel with that one, good power, control, tons of spin, and good plow through and comfort. The only issue for me was that I demoed it twice and broke the strings the first time and destroyed a new string job the second time. the open pattern plus my swing equaled string death. But you should give it a try.