PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Serena always being hurt--and Venus too?

Coria
03-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Why all the injuries? It seems constant. Just one more indication that the Williams' sisters, aside from having poor coaching, don't seem to be preparing their bodies properly for long term, high intensity tennis matches. Serena is down--AGAIN. Venus is always complaining about something and often hurt. Why? These are young ladies.

Why have the great champions been able to play year after year after year and hardly ever go down? Yet these ladies are constantly injured, and for long stretches of time. Clearly, their training methods, overall fitness regime, not to mention their coaching (they have not improved at all, if anything they've both regressed, especially Venus) need to be called into question.

Camilio Pascual
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Why have the great champions been able to play year after year after year and hardly ever go down?

It is certainly a mystery. I've been disappointed with what seems to be their "Majors only count" strategy of playing in few tournaments. I don't think they have been well coached, either. But, the Belgian duo has been MIA even more than them lately. If you look at the rest of the field, it's quite clear the injury problem is pretty extensive compared to the past and this is an issue in the WTA that goes beyond just the Williams sisters.

Coria
03-04-2005, 11:02 AM
I would agree with that. Yet, only at the end of her career was Steffi hurt. Martina and Chris basically never went down.

fantom
03-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I've gotta think that it has something to do with conditioning. Serena is always pretty quick, but she doesn't seem to be as quick as she was a few years ago. I remember her always getting to balls that nobody else could get to. She doesn't seem to do that anymore.

Marius_Hancu
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I have no idea what kind of physical conditioning she's getting, indeed that seems a problem ... not sure if she does enough flexibility ...

but it's not only that, they're using very light rackets, that sooner or later you'll have to pay for ...