PDA

View Full Version : Has Gasquet improved since Monte Carlo 2005

ESP#1
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
It seems as if every time i watch Nadal play he has improved some part of his game, Gasquet on the other hand seems to be the same player he was in 2005 only with less confidence. The serve seems to be somewhat better but he has made no progress on his biggest weakness(forehand)

please share your thoughts, i would appreciate it

Gugafan
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Gasquet is abit of an Enigma. Once considered 'baby-Feds' he is now almost at plateau stage of his career.

I would certainly say he has improved since MC 05, as he was inside the top 10 yr end 07. The biggest factor for his downfall recently has been the lack of mental willingness to fight and grind it out against top players. That being said, Gasquet does have a great all round game. Not many players have the flair or touch that Gasquet possesses. He has some of the best hands at net, and from what I have seen this year is looking to mix up his game far more. A good move imo.

2009 is a big year for him,, many of the french players have surpassed him in the rankings which should be beneficial for Gasquet of not having the pressure as the French no 1.

I would expect a rise up in the rankings at some point this year. Agree with you, in that the forehand has become somewhat of a liability over the years but other parts of his game have certainly improved. Particularly the serve.

flying24
03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I would say he has regressed in many ways since then. I dont care that he is ranked higher now, that happens since he got older, became a more mature player, got more consistent and mentally tougher (I did not say that consistent or mentally tough, I said more then when he was younger). However his skill and weaponary is in fact weaker now. He displayed a killer forehand and return of serve in that match, the likes which he does not posses at all in recent years, despite his higher ranking. His recent matches with Federer he barely hits any winners at all, when they played at Wimbledon a couple years ago Gasquet had 5 winners the whole match, and when they played in the Canada final Federer had twice the unforced errors and still won pretty comfortably in 3 sets since he was dictating and dominating play so thoroughly. He actually looks alot less talented, alot less of an all around shotmaker, and alot less dangerous with alot less potential than he had back then.

saram
03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I feel this is something that applies to the likes of not only Gasquet--but Roddick as well. And, the answer is 'NO'. Players can change this and that--but if they are not getting the results--then they have not improved any.

Nadal changed every single shot almost over night and improved his desire to win (if that was even possible). He changed, transformed, and improved beyond belief in about 14 months.

To me, Gasquet is the same old guy mentally collapsing after two and a half sets. He is the same player hitting 50 backhand winners and losing in five sets. I just can't figure the guy out.

Nadal has improved--Gasquet has not. Probably won't, either.

ESP#1
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
He just seems really confused these days, when he was younger he was very confident now its like he's scared to go for his shots and plays much safer but he cant dictate play with the forehand, i think in 05 his ability was above most players, now it seems many have caught up and even surpassed him in some aspects, i still think he is one of the most enjoyable players to watch and hope he can make a run at wimbly with his all court game

paulorenzo
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
plateau. one giant plateau.

tennis_hand
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
from his performance at Dubai, I can't see any improvement this year. Still that slow loopy forehand and still stand 3 meters behind the baseline.

LurkingGod
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Anyone think he could be a 'late bloomer'? He's such a talented player with a heart of a kitten. Do you think IF he somehow can toughten himself up mentally he'd have a career that live up to his potential?:-?

edmondsm
03-08-2009, 11:10 PM
from his performance at Dubai, I can't see any improvement this year. Still that slow loopy forehand and still stand 3 meters behind the baseline.

There you go. If you are going to hang out that far behind the baseline then you either have to be a relentless grinder (not Gasquet) or possess incredible power off both wings (not Gasquet). If you want to be a shot maker/all-court player then you have to step in. He seems unwilling, so he's on the aforementioned plateau.

grafrules
03-08-2009, 11:49 PM
He has plateaued I think. People up to now have liked to use a Federer parallel and held out hopes he would just be a late bloomer like Federer. Well 2003 was the year Federer turned 22 in August and he won Wimbledon, the year end Championships, 7 titles, and ended the year ranked #2. 2008 is the year Gasquet turned 22 in June and he ended the year ranked #25, with no quarterfinals of majors and 1 title. 2004, the year Federer started having turned 22 the previous August, Federer was already clearly establishing himself the dominant player of mens tennis by March. 2009, the year Gasquet started having turned 22 the previous June, Gasquet is struggling to win matches and stay in the top 30. He is not following Federer's career path where he late blooms into a superstar. If he is lucky enough to be a late bloomer than it might mean finally making the top 10 for sustained periods of time in his late 20s like James Blake (and even that I dobut).

Ocean Drive
03-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Would help if he stopped standing 20 feet behind the baseline.

Leublu tennis
03-09-2009, 09:09 AM
A simple "no" and so what? Who really cares?

PERL
03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Gasquet has never been and will never be another Federer.
He has some similarities with Mauresmo. A great flashy backhand and a good transition game, some flaws on the forehand side and too much ambivalent emotions when it comes to win.
Mauresmo won her 2 majors at 26/27. Petr Korda won his one and only at age 30. Gasquet is 22. He has at least 5 more years to achieve something as prestigious as winning a major. He has not the mentality to ever be dominant but one slam is not out of question. It is only out of question if he continues like this. Talent is a gift and I will not insult talent by writing him off yet but man heís so discouraging sometimes and I donít see much improvement on the mental aspect nor the on court positioning and attitude.