PDA

View Full Version : Is Head's future Teflon?

srvnvly
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Just curious if Head is going to add the teflon grommets to all their racquets, or even select racquet lines, i.e. the Instinct and Radical line? thanks for any info

TennisVet
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
probably not, because the extreme had no feel...

jmjmkim
03-08-2009, 08:50 PM
How does teflon help ? Will it be for less friction on the strings?

JW10S
03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
How does teflon help ? Will it be for less friction on the strings?Yes, there is less friction. This allows the strings to slide through the gromments with less resisitance thus there is less energy loss and more power. With conventional gromments there is friction which provides resistance during impact with the ball resulting in energy loss and less power. In short the Teflon gromments allows the strings to work better, and after all the strings are what make contact with the ball. Teflon gromments are a legitimate and big advancement in technology.

furyoku_tennis
03-09-2009, 12:11 AM
teflon grommets have been around. it's not really a new technology or anything. head's using it on the extreme to simulate the woofer system on the pure drive.

Deuce
03-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Yes, there is less friction. This allows the strings to slide through the gromments with less resisitance thus there is less energy loss and more power. With conventional gromments there is friction which provides resistance during impact with the ball resulting in energy loss and less power. In short the Teflon gromments allows the strings to work better, and after all the strings are what make contact with the ball. Teflon gromments are a legitimate and big advancement in technology.
Be careful - if someone doesn't wake you up, you're a prime candidate to end up in some sort of cult, as you easily swallow whatever you're fed.

Teflon tubing has been around for a long time.
Head using teflon grommets is hardly a 'technological advancement'. It's just another gimmick.

JW10S
03-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Teflon tubing has been around for a long time.
If it's been around 'for a long time' name another racquet that used it before now...

I've hit with the new Extremes as well as prototypes for the Speed and Radical that all employ Teflon gromments and there is a discernable difference compared to the previous models. Again, less friction=less energy loss. Djokovic has been quoted as saying his new racquet has more power, something he is having to adjust to.

srvnvly
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I've hit with the new Extremes as well as prototypes for the Speed and Radical that all employ Teflon gromments and there is a discernable difference compared to the previous models. Again, less friction=less energy loss. Djokovic has been quoted as saying his new racquet has more power, something he is having to adjust to.

What are your thoughts on the power and flex of Djokovic's racquet and the prototype Radical? Will the Instinct get the same Teflon grommet treatment?

crappyBackHand
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
head extreme + Teflon gourmet + teflon tubing + prince recoil + woofer system = TEH ULTAMET POWAH

Bud
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
head extreme + Teflon gourmet + teflon tubing + prince recoil + woofer system = TEH ULTAMET POWAH

Teflon gourmet? I'll take one to go, please :twisted:

Deuce
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
If it's been around 'for a long time' name another racquet that used it before now...
^ Do you know what tubing is?

There could be about 312 reasons that the new racquets feel different.

You're obviously quite gullible, swallowing whatever you're fed.
Good luck in keeping clear of the cults.

Goseki
03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah i agree with Deuce, Teflon tubing i've seen before. Same basic concept. This is just Head watching youtube and making that into their next big idea. I'd rather just get an old MG and add tubing if i wanted that. Silly Head, I feel sorry for whoever pays full price for the Teflon Grommets...

SFrazeur
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
"Head" goes from putting holes in their racquets to lubricating their racquets. . .

-SF

bertrevert
03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Teflon is quite greasy to touch or oily to touch, I can at least imagine it working - being more slippery, or slippy.

But how much travel are we talking about around grommets? Does a string really travel or stretch that much through a grommet - ie. do the wheels really need to be lubricated in the first place?

Although you may get more power do you get less accuracy to the tension you require?

Still, I'm all for advancements in tech...